Loyola LA 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Loyola LA 2011

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:57 pm

99.9luft wrote:
Danteshek wrote:All I can say is that I know people on academic probation (GPA below 2.33) who "busted their asses." I wonder why you think you are so special.
well, not sure how much those ppl really busted their ass that they ended up on ac. probation...
I'm sure plenty of them really did, and still did that poorly. It's one of the most difficult things for 0Ls to understand: Unlike undergrad, law school is not simply a function of time and effort. You cannot divide a law school class up, go "these people put in lots of time and work really hard", and expect them to be the ones that get the best grades. It does not work that way. There have been many, many, many people who have gone to law school, studied day and night, put all the effort they possibly could into it, and then ended up in the bottom quarter of their class.

I have also quite literally known people who skipped an entire semester's worth of classes, studied for two days before the final, and gotten high marks. It happens.

Honestly, I think a lot of people will claim that they "busted their ass" to cover up how lazy and unprepared they were. But even after you remove all those people, there are legitimate, hard-working, intelligent people who try to do everything right and still crash and burn, year in and year out. And there are those who just get it from the beginning and don't even need to study or work hard to outperform everyone else.

If you're that special, then put your "little socializing" and "shitload of studying" to good use on the LSAT. Take the LSAT more seriously. Go get a 170+ on it. If you can't do that, I sure as hell don't see why law school would be any better.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:14 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
99.9luft wrote:
Danteshek wrote:All I can say is that I know people on academic probation (GPA below 2.33) who "busted their asses." I wonder why you think you are so special.
well, not sure how much those ppl really busted their ass that they ended up on ac. probation...
I'm sure plenty of them really did, and still did that poorly. It's one of the most difficult things for 0Ls to understand: Unlike undergrad, law school is not simply a function of time and effort. You cannot divide a law school class up, go "these people put in lots of time and work really hard", and expect them to be the ones that get the best grades. It does not work that way. There have been many, many, many people who have gone to law school, studied day and night, put all the effort they possibly could into it, and then ended up in the bottom quarter of their class.

I have also quite literally known people who skipped an entire semester's worth of classes, studied for two days before the final, and gotten high marks. It happens.

Honestly, I think a lot of people will claim that they "busted their ass" to cover up how lazy and unprepared they were. But even after you remove all those people, there are legitimate, hard-working, intelligent people who try to do everything right and still crash and burn, year in and year out. And there are those who just get it from the beginning and don't even need to study or work hard to outperform everyone else.

If you're that special, then put your "little socializing" and "shitload of studying" to good use on the LSAT. Take the LSAT more seriously. Go get a 170+ on it. If you can't do that, I sure as hell don't see why law school would be any better.
i enjoy talking to you, vanwinkle. I agree about the lsat and about how unpredictable success in LS can be as a function of studytime/taking it seriously. I would not be posting this had i not screwed up on the june lsat ( i was averaging -11 or 171 on 20+ tests this past spring). So, yes, it is very demoralizing to be where I am :oops:

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:37 pm

99.9luft wrote:I would not be posting this had i not screwed up on the june lsat ( i was averaging -11 or 171 on 20+ tests this past spring). So, yes, it is very demoralizing to be where I am :oops:
If that's true, you should really just focus on the retake. I just don't want to see you make a much bigger mistake, and going to a school like Loyola assuming you can do well or transfer out would be.

99.9luft

Silver

Post by 99.9luft » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:42 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
99.9luft wrote:I would not be posting this had i not screwed up on the june lsat ( i was averaging -11 or 171 on 20+ tests this past spring). So, yes, it is very demoralizing to be where I am :oops:
If that's true, you should really just focus on the retake. I just don't want to see you make a much bigger mistake, and going to a school like Loyola assuming you can do well or transfer out would be.
Thanks for your support. Yeah, i know retake is what i need to do; gotta find a way to keep the LSAT knowledge fresh between now and June, that's all.

chenalex

New

Post by chenalex » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Just got in off the waitlist.

What do I do? I've already moved to DC to attend WCL. But I really want to go and stay with my family and friends.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:09 pm

chenalex wrote:Just got in off the waitlist.

What do I do? I've already moved to DC to attend WCL. But I really want to go and stay with my family and friends.
Can you get out of your lease in DC?

chenalex

New

Post by chenalex » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:34 pm

Puttanesca wrote:

Yeah I can take advantage of the apartment's 30-day satisfaction guarantee thing where you only pay for as long as you live for in the first 30 days. It's the getting rid of all the furniture that I bought part that's gonna be tricky.

Puttanesca

Bronze

Post by Puttanesca » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:08 am

chenalex wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:

Yeah I can take advantage of the apartment's 30-day satisfaction guarantee thing where you only pay for as long as you live for in the first 30 days. It's the getting rid of all the furniture that I bought part that's gonna be tricky.
That's great - I think getting out of the lease would have been the main concern but it seems like you'll be able to get out pretty easily. Does WCL have a Facebook group for the Class of 2014? Maybe you could try selling some stuff on the group page to students who are just arriving in town now. There's always Craigslist but of course that comes with risk. If you don't mind donating your stuff, try a place like Salvation Army - they pick up furniture.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:34 am

90% sure I'm withdrawing. USC came through with a waitlist offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:42 am

Congrats Chimp! that's awesome. Hopefully your spot comes my way :)

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:17 am

jstubbs wrote:Congrats Chimp! that's awesome. Hopefully your spot comes my way :)
Thanks! Best of luck in getting in off of the wait list.

chenalex

New

Post by chenalex » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:37 am

Puttanesca wrote:
chenalex wrote:
Puttanesca wrote:

That's great - I think getting out of the lease would have been the main concern but it seems like you'll be able to get out pretty easily. Does WCL have a Facebook group for the Class of 2014? Maybe you could try selling some stuff on the group page to students who are just arriving in town now. There's always Craigslist but of course that comes with risk. If you don't mind donating your stuff, try a place like Salvation Army - they pick up furniture.

Thanks for the Salvation Army tip, I'll definitely look into that. I think I'll turn to the FB group for some of the smaller stuff and the huge amount of groceries I bought earlier.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:05 am

Chenalex - I am in DC today and tomorrow. If you want to meet me to talk about Loyola, text me at 818 421 9696.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:32 am

The offer stands...If I get in, Whiskeys on me at 7Grand next week.

avarial

New

Post by avarial » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:41 am

As of today at 11:45am, I am in off the waitlist! I kept calling for the past couple of weeks to inquire about the status of my application, but all I kept hearing was, "Well, you're neither accepted nor denied at this point." Anyway, as a final effort, I decided to write another LOCI for the 6th time to their admissions committee e-mail address this morning reaffirming my strong desire to attend Loyola. Thirty minutes later, I was informed I had been accepted. Needless to say I'm very excited. Hopefully this raises hope for other people who are currently waitlisted. Good luck to everyone still waiting! =) Miracles do happen!

chenalex

New

Post by chenalex » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:23 am

^ I called last week and the woman told me to email the dean of admissions, which I did. I'm pretty sure my chasing after them was the main reason I got in, as my numbers pretty much suck balls.

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Avarial...numbers if you dont mind? Just curious.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:27 pm

See ya guys tomorrow. Just got the call :)

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:28 pm

Shammis wrote:See ya guys tomorrow. Just got the call :)
Congrats!

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:43 pm

Mazel tov!

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:10 pm

I could have sworn someone with your exact avatar was dying to get into loyola. Oh well, congrats.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:32 pm

LOL gothamm...I changed my username. jstubbs. I had totally given up hope.

and thanks guys.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:50 pm

Sweet :D

Congrats! I know it meant a lot to you.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:46 pm

Congrats! Glad to hear you got in!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”