UNLV 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
britt10

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby britt10 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:57 pm

Haven't heard either, out of state. In review for couple of months.

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:41 pm

gokickrocks wrote:
aas911 wrote:Has anyone who is not a NV resident heard back yet?

Been in review since 12/14

I'm an out of state applicant and I've been in review since 1/5. Haven't heard anything yet either.

shortsnscruffs

Postby shortsnscruffs » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:56 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:Short: If it's financially feasible, you can come see the school outside of an official ASD. If you ask Nathan nicely, he'll probably arrange for you to sit in a class if you like.

Generally: Last I heard, acceptances should start in full force here in a week or two. Roughly mid-March I suspect a lot of folks will hear. That's how it worked out last year, anyway.

We don't put on lavish ASD's (I remember being jealous of my friends who were accepted to other schools getting flown out and such) but, to put a silver lining on it, the part of your tuition that would have gone to wooing new candidates will be going to pay faculty or for events instead.

Congrats to the new acceptances, and good luck to those still waiting to hear!

@Rebel: I have asked Nathan about dove-tailing a UNLV visit with another ASD I have in CA and he was very willing to accommodate such requests. I was really hoping to have received some scholarship award from them, though... This is making it hard to pick UNLV over the other 2 schools where I received admission + schollys.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Does anyone know how i should feel about a call from the admissions office pretty much asking me "Why UNLV?"

I gave a pretty solid answer......... just wondering if this may mean that i can be a little more optimistic about my application or if i should not take the call into consideration towards my confidence levels

Pink

Postby Pink » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:05 pm

gaud wrote:Does anyone know how i should feel about a call from the admissions office pretty much asking me "Why UNLV?"

I gave a pretty solid answer......... just wondering if this may mean that i can be a little more optimistic about my application or if i should not take the call into consideration towards my confidence levels

I was called (twice, actually), asking why UNLV. I am pretty positive that they just wanted to make sure that I wanted to go there. So, hopefully good news for you!!!

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:10 pm

Pink wrote:
gaud wrote:Does anyone know how i should feel about a call from the admissions office pretty much asking me "Why UNLV?"

I was called (twice, actually), asking why UNLV. I am pretty positive that they just wanted to make sure that I wanted to go there. So, hopefully good news for you!!!

okay very cool, thank you :D !! I hope my answers were more than sufficient to show my interest

IRLV

Postby IRLV » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:04 pm

Anyone here about the recent budget cuts announced March 8?

"8.1 million in proposed cuts to the Law School, Dental School, Athletics, and State-Wide program"

"Tuition increases will be used to cover the cuts. This will bring tuition increase totals more than triple the cost of just three years ago. These additional increases will undermine the Law School's successful formula and render it a mediocre institution"

Check out page 7 -
http://go.unlv.edu/assets/budget/pdf/FY ... ummary.pdf

Damn! I hope I get a full scholarship!

renorunningirl

Postby renorunningirl » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 pm

IRLV wrote:Anyone here about the recent budget cuts announced March 8?

"8.1 million in proposed cuts to the Law School, Dental School, Athletics, and State-Wide program"

"Tuition increases will be used to cover the cuts. This will bring tuition increase totals more than triple the cost of just three years ago. These additional increases will undermine the Law School's successful formula and render it a mediocre institution"

Check out page 7 -

Damn! I hope I get a full scholarship!

I'm worried about this too... I go to UNR where the budget cuts have been really severe, however I have found that most of the cuts they announce to major programs either don't end up happening or are less than originally proposed. (Two days ago they announced that they were shutting down our social work school but announced yesterday that they could avoid it after people got upset and promised to find additional funding...) So I am hopeful that most of the cuts to the law and dental programs are more of a bluff or tuition will only go up a few thousand....

renorunningirl

Postby renorunningirl » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:18 pm

"Law School
The 6.9% budget cuts to be absorbed by the Law School in FY 2011 will substantially affect the Law
School. The original plan associated with the large fee increase during the 2009-2011 biennium was
based on the need to add critical faculty and support programs for our students (specifically student
services programs). This additional base budget reduction means we must at least defer, if not eliminate,
our plans to address these needs. Additionally, due to frozen existing positions the Law School faculty
will be reduced in FY 2011 by 14% from its FY 2008 levels, threatening the strength of our programs
unless we are able to make hires next year.
FY 2011 ($480,185)
 Utilize new fee revenue to fund 2-3 existing faculty positions, but defer the hiring of 5 positions
originally planned. We do hope to replace up to 6 current faculty vacancies to address crucial
staffing needs.
 Eliminate two administrative support positions and forego creation of up to 4 positions envisioned
in original plan.
 Reduce library acquisitions.
 Cut one Associate Dean position
 Defer equipment replacement.
Overall these cuts would:
 Indefinitely delay growth of our faculty to needed levels.
 Strain our staffing of elective courses, narrowing our students’ educational experience.
 Indefinitely delay provision of needed student and program support services.
 Hamstring our efforts to improve our position in national rankings of law schools.
 Foreclose growth in support services essential to the law school’s effective operation.
 Make it harder to recruit and retain faculty.
These reductions take place in a context where we have already significantly reduced administrative
support and where our operations budget has been severely reduced. "

Thanks for finding this IRLV....

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Quickly: While all this info is legit, also keep in mind that it's tentative and intended to be persuasive.

I'm certainly not going to say these couldn't happen (or that what actually happens couldn't be worse), but these -are- tilted toward persuading against cuts. That said, undergrad at UNLV is getting slaughtered (including the complete dismissal of Women's Studies and Philosophy, including all professors, tenure track or otherwise) if anything within about 60% of these cuts gets passed. So, keep everything in mind, but don't panic just yet.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:02 pm

Accepted via e-mail today, hopefully this means that many of you others that are waiting will get responses as well.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:32 pm

Congrats, Gaud!

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:50 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:Congrats, Gaud!

Why thank you!

IRLV

Postby IRLV » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:13 pm

gaud wrote:Accepted via e-mail today, hopefully this means that many of you others that are waiting will get responses as well.

Congrats! But with your GPA numbers I am not suprised!! Very nice! Do you think you will take it?

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:46 am

Any out-of-state applicants get a decision yet? I've been in review since 1/5.

Come on, UNLV! I would appreciate a decision soon...please! :shock:

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:35 am

orachelo wrote:Any out-of-state applicants get a decision yet? I've been in review since 1/5.

Nope. In review since 12/13.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:48 am

orachelo wrote:Any out-of-state applicants get a decision yet? I've been in review since 1/5.

I am OOS and received my acceptance via email yesterday. Had been in review since early December, so there is still hope!

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:39 pm

gaud wrote:

I am OOS and received my acceptance via email yesterday. Had been in review since early December, so there is still hope!

Congrats for the in! Hopefully my decision will be rendered over the next week or so.

jpjpporter

Postby jpjpporter » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:52 am

How long should I be expecting to wait to hear from UNLV?? I had everything turned in mid-january, I know a little late, but what has been the usual wait period?

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:32 am

jpjpporter wrote:How long should I be expecting to wait to hear from UNLV?? I had everything turned in mid-january, I know a little late, but what has been the usual wait period?

Heard back this past week and i had been waiting since mid decemberish

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:50 am

I applied in Nov and haven't heard. I did get a call recently from admissions. That is a good sign ya?

IRLV

Postby IRLV » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:57 am

Woohoo!!!

Just got my acceptance letter from Boyd! And I got a 'DR' from Loyola-LA, so things are FINALLY moving!

I applied mid-december (after grades were released). I think that for those of you who applied and are still waiting it is pretty common. UNLV decides on most of them now (during mid March).

Good luck!!

plutonium210

Postby plutonium210 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:02 pm

I applied 1/6, Complete 1/7, under review 1/10, call from Nathan 3/15 (returned his call 3/16), acceptance letter ten minutes ago. I think now is their time for decisions, since their application deadline was 3/15.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:17 pm

plutonium210 wrote:I applied 1/6, Complete 1/7, under review 1/10, call from Nathan 3/15 (returned his call 3/16), acceptance letter ten minutes ago. I think now is their time for decisions, since their application deadline was 3/15.

Congrats IRLV and Plutonium!

This seems like about the time most folks heard last year. Over the next two weeks or so, most of the applications should shake out.

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:49 pm

CmonSD wrote:I applied in Nov and haven't heard. I did get a call recently from admissions. That is a good sign ya?

Seems to be a good sign. I was accepted about a week and a half after receiving a call from the admissions office.... the same for a few earlier in this post as well

GOOD LUCK!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”