UNLV 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CmonSD

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby CmonSD » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:04 pm

IRLV wrote:
CmonSD wrote:I haven't received my packet yet. When is the deposit deadline?

Admitted student day is April 2nd and I believe the deposit deadline is April 8. Deposit is $500.

Thanks! They don't split the deposit up? Eek! I guess I'll be working this weekend. :?

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:18 pm

CmonSD wrote:
IRLV wrote:
CmonSD wrote:I haven't received my packet yet. When is the deposit deadline?

Admitted student day is April 2nd and I believe the deposit deadline is April 8. Deposit is $500.

Thanks! They don't split the deposit up? Eek! I guess I'll be working this weekend. :?

Do either of you know if by mail is the only way you can send the deposit? I have not really looked into it yet, just wondering if anyone knew if I could charge it lol

lawforme22

Postby lawforme22 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:58 pm

Oh man, how depressing! Here you guys are talking about deposits, and I'm still praying for an acceptance letter :(

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:59 pm

lawforme22 wrote:Oh man, how depressing! Here you guys are talking about deposits, and I'm still praying for an acceptance letter :(

Don't lose hope!

lawforme22

Postby lawforme22 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:31 am

Thanks Gaud. I'm trying to stay positive. Congrats on your acceptance, hopefully I get to go to school with you.

bsm909

Postby bsm909 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:07 am

Withdrew with a $22k scholarship, very hard to do. Hope it gets sent to someone here waiting!

lawforme22

Postby lawforme22 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:16 pm

Wow, can I ask why you withrew?

Pink

Postby Pink » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Will be withdrawing with a full ride. Good luck!

renorunningirl

Postby renorunningirl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:08 pm

I many be doing the same thing... The budget cuts make me very nervous.

IRLV

Postby IRLV » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:45 pm

renorunningirl wrote:I many be doing the same thing... The budget cuts make me very nervous.

But with a full ride scholarship, it doesn't matter if they raise the roof on tution, you are covered.

On the other hand, I am worried that these changes will impact the professors. They will start to flee to better schools and the Boyd law school will drop in rankings. While I still think that the education will be top rate, I would like to graduate from a school that is Tier 2 rather than Tier 4.

No matter what, I think that the Las Vegas job market will be open to Boyd graduates, you may have a harder time getting employed at a 500+ law firm but it does happen. Heck the lead attorney for the Olympics graduated from a Tier 4 school (Dayton) and she leads a team and handles a multi International team.

So in the end, I think that the budget cuts could hurt the school rankings, but it won't make you any less of a lawyer. Plus if you have a full ride, it can't be beat!

This coming from someone who does NOT have a full ride scholarship.

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:11 pm

IRLV wrote:
renorunningirl wrote:I many be doing the same thing... The budget cuts make me very nervous.

But with a full ride scholarship, it doesn't matter if they raise the roof on tution, you are covered.

More or less. Although I believe the scholarship deal is square, keep in mind that it is contingent on maintaining top 1/3rd status. There is a very real possibility that one could lose their scholarship after the first, or second, year. Although having a full ride for even one year is a tremendous savings, it's a good idea to plan ahead and decide what (generic) you might do if you did lose your scholarship.

I'm not talking anyone out of attending (I'm still very happy here), just offering a thought for consideration.

I didn't forget about the PT questions: Just been waiting to talk to a PT student.

Julez

Postby Julez » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:44 pm

Admitted today via phone call from admissions, status checker update and e-mail. I'm pretty sure I wasn't offered any type of scholarship (not mentioned in the e-mail, status checker, or call) but UNLV is definitely one of my top choices. Today is a good day! Good luck to all those that are waiting. I know admissions committee met yesterday to review my application so I'm assuming they reviewed some others.

orachelo

Postby orachelo » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:33 am

Julez wrote:Admitted today via phone call from admissions, status checker update and e-mail. I'm pretty sure I wasn't offered any type of scholarship (not mentioned in the e-mail, status checker, or call) but UNLV is definitely one of my top choices. Today is a good day! Good luck to all those that are waiting. I know admissions committee met yesterday to review my application so I'm assuming they reviewed some others.

Congrats! When did you goin review?

I've been in review since early January and I haven't seen movement or received a call. :?

Vegas_Rebel

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:35 am

Congrats, Julez :)

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:24 am

Julez wrote:Admitted today via phone call from admissions, status checker update and e-mail. I'm pretty sure I wasn't offered any type of scholarship (not mentioned in the e-mail, status checker, or call) but UNLV is definitely one of my top choices. Today is a good day! Good luck to all those that are waiting. I know admissions committee met yesterday to review my application so I'm assuming they reviewed some others.

There still may be hope, I got my scholarship information in the packet through the mail. Also, Congrats

Julez

Postby Julez » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 pm

orachelo wrote:

Congrats! When did you goin review?

I've been in review since early January and I haven't seen movement or received a call. :?

Orachelo--I went complete in early December and went in review on 12/20. I didn't see any movement really until the past week. Hang in there! Good news may be on the way. Good luck!

Vegas_Rebel wrote:Congrats, Julez :)

Vegas Rebel--Thanks! Perhaps I'll see you next year...

gaud wrote:

There still may be hope, I got my scholarship information in the packet through the mail. Also, Congrats

gaud--Good to know. The timing of this is difficult since the seat deposit is due April 8 and I'd like to know as soon as possible so I can make my decision. I hope they have another admitted students day since April 2nd is this weekend and I'm not sure I can make it on such short notice. Will you be attending UNLV in the fall?

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:12 pm

gaud--Good to know. The timing of this is difficult since the seat deposit is due April 8 and I'd like to know as soon as possible so I can make my decision. I hope they have another admitted students day since April 2nd is this weekend and I'm not sure I can make it on such short notice. Will you be attending UNLV in the fall?[/quote]

More than likely, yes. I am still waiting to hear back from a couple schools, but with having to send the deposit out so soon I will probably just commit to UNLV regardless of what the other schools decide. What type of scholly would improve your chances of matriculating?

Julez

Postby Julez » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:25 pm

gaud wrote:More than likely, yes. I am still waiting to hear back from a couple schools, but with having to send the deposit out so soon I will probably just commit to UNLV regardless of what the other schools decide. What type of scholly would improve your chances of matriculating?

I guess any type of scholarship would improve my chances at this point. I spent this last weekend visiting a school that accepted me in Diego with 50% scholarship. The other school I'm looking at is Seattle U at full sticker--but since I'm born and raised in Seattle and my entire family is in Seattle, it's an attractive option in that I'll have that support group nearby. All in all, I love Nevada and I was planning on moving to Vegas when I was younger. Perhaps this is my time to finally make that jump...

What other schools are you waiting on?

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:14 am

Julez wrote:
gaud wrote:More than likely, yes. I am still waiting to hear back from a couple schools, but with having to send the deposit out so soon I will probably just commit to UNLV regardless of what the other schools decide. What type of scholly would improve your chances of matriculating?

I guess any type of scholarship would improve my chances at this point. I spent this last weekend visiting a school that accepted me in Diego with 50% scholarship. The other school I'm looking at is Seattle U at full sticker--but since I'm born and raised in Seattle and my entire family is in Seattle, it's an attractive option in that I'll have that support group nearby. All in all, I love Nevada and I was planning on moving to Vegas when I was younger. Perhaps this is my time to finally make that jump...

Pepperdine, UofA, and ASU (I live in AZ so the latter two are attractive). I am not sure what your stats are, but if you look at my profile UNLV offered me a half scholly with a stip. Right now I am negotiating to see if I can get the stipulation removed and the friendliness of the process gives me some hope; so that could be something you could also try if you are interested. Where do you want to practice?

Julez

Postby Julez » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:36 am

gaud wrote:
Julez wrote:

Pepperdine, UofA, and ASU (I live in AZ so the latter two are attractive). I am not sure what your stats are, but if you look at my profile UNLV offered me a half scholly with a stip. Right now I am negotiating to see if I can get the stipulation removed and the friendliness of the process gives me some hope; so that could be something you could also try if you are interested. Where do you want to practice?

Pepperdine's campus is gorgeous! I don't think I could concentrate on studies with the beach at my door. We have the same LSAT but my GPA is lower than yours; although it dramatically improved my last 1.5 years undergrad(wrote my personal statement around some of the reasons why). I hope your negotiating works out for you. The process has been friendly and that's another reason why I'm interested in UNLV. I guess I'll have to wait to receive my packet before giving them a call to discuss. Good luck on the other schools--they are all really good schools.

gaud

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:44 pm

Thank you so much and good luck to you as well! Hopefully you get some good $$$ from UNLV to make your decision easy

jpjpporter

Postby jpjpporter » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:46 pm

The wait is killing me! Seat deposits looming at other schools and UNLV is one of my top two choices. I've been under review since mid-january, looking at other peoples wait time it still might be a little while.. Hopefully i hear something soon

britt10

Postby britt10 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:49 pm

I agree- I already had to send in a seat deposit for my second choice (UNLV is my first) and now I'm really pinching pennies.

IRLV

Postby IRLV » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:06 pm

I spoke with Elizabeth Karl the Admissions and Records Assistant at UNLV and she confirmed that they do not accept Credit card for the seat deposit. It has to be in Check/Money Order by April 8.

That is too bad as I would have really liked to be able to pay it via CC and then have some breathing room for bills.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:13 pm

IRLV wrote:I spoke with Elizabeth Karl the Admissions and Records Assistant at UNLV and she confirmed that they do not accept Credit card for the seat deposit. It has to be in Check/Money Order by April 8.

That is too bad as I would have really liked to be able to pay it via CC and then have some breathing room for bills.

lol I tried the same thing! Pretty surprised actually

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”