UNLV 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby gaud » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Has anyone had any luck negotiating at UNLV for more scholly $$??

It is one of my top school choices but the OOS tuition is seems rough

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby CmonSD » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:02 pm

In!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my top choices! Definitely going to admitted students day!

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:05 pm

CmonSD wrote:In!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my top choices! Definitely going to admitted students day!



Congrats!!

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby CmonSD » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:10 pm

gaud wrote:
CmonSD wrote:In!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my top choices! Definitely going to admitted students day!



Congrats!!


Thanks! I am going pt - evenings. To address the oos tuition issue, I was told that if you have employment by the first day then you can still get in state tuition for the first year. That might apply only to full-time employment though.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:12 pm

CmonSD wrote:
gaud wrote:
CmonSD wrote:In!!!!!!!!!!!! One of my top choices! Definitely going to admitted students day!



Congrats!!


Thanks! I am going pt - evenings. To address the oos tuition issue, I was told that if you have employment by the first day then you can still get in state tuition for the first year. That might apply only to full-time employment though.



Okay awesome, I will definitely look into it! Thank you

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Congrats, SD :)

IRLV
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby IRLV » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:14 pm

gaud wrote:Has anyone had any luck negotiating at UNLV for more scholly $$??

It is one of my top school choices but the OOS tuition is seems rough


I have not tried to negotiate with them regarding scholarship $, but I know that they would not bend on the fee waiver aspect. They claim that the Board of Directors lays the policy out and they have to follow it. I would assume that it may be the same for $.

But it is easy to gain residency for Nevada and I would think that 2L would be in state tuition. Maybe some one who is attending Boyd now can comment?

Regardless, after looking around, it seems that OOS is still cheaper than a lot of other schools.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:23 pm

IRLV wrote:
gaud wrote:Has anyone had any luck negotiating at UNLV for more scholly $$??

It is one of my top school choices but the OOS tuition is seems rough


I have not tried to negotiate with them regarding scholarship $, but I know that they would not bend on the fee waiver aspect. They claim that the Board of Directors lays the policy out and they have to follow it. I would assume that it may be the same for $.

But it is easy to gain residency for Nevada and I would think that 2L would be in state tuition. Maybe some one who is attending Boyd now can comment?

Regardless, after looking around, it seems that OOS is still cheaper than a lot of other schools.



You are definitely right, there are plenty of other schools with worse tuition. I am assuming that 2L would be in-state, they offered me 10k with top 33% stip, which is basically half-tuition.

Do you think I may have a better shot of trying to negotiate the stipulation off of the offer compared to asking for more $$$?

User avatar
Vegas_Rebel
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:18 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby Vegas_Rebel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:34 pm

gaud wrote:You are definitely right, there are plenty of other schools with worse tuition. I am assuming that 2L would be in-state, they offered me 10k with top 33% stip, which is basically half-tuition.

Do you think I may have a better shot of trying to negotiate the stipulation off of the offer compared to asking for more $$$?


You can try, but it didn't work for me. I tried to leverage the fact that other schools had offered scholly's with no ranking requirement, but Boyd wasn't willing to negotiate.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Vegas_Rebel wrote:
gaud wrote:You are definitely right, there are plenty of other schools with worse tuition. I am assuming that 2L would be in-state, they offered me 10k with top 33% stip, which is basically half-tuition.

Do you think I may have a better shot of trying to negotiate the stipulation off of the offer compared to asking for more $$$?


You can try, but it didn't work for me. I tried to leverage the fact that other schools had offered scholly's with no ranking requirement, but Boyd wasn't willing to negotiate.



LAME lol, I guess I have nothing to lose by trying .....I appreciate the input. Honestly; that way I do not get my hopes too high

longhornlaw
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:40 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby longhornlaw » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Just got a phone call from admissions, but couldn't talk, as I'm stuck at work right now. Come on, plllease just make a decision? :D

User avatar
Julez
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby Julez » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:09 pm

longhornlaw wrote:Just got a phone call from admissions, but couldn't talk, as I'm stuck at work right now. Come on, plllease just make a decision? :D


I just got a phone call too! It was from admissions asking me why UNLV, etc. Hopefully I gave a good answer. After the mini questionnaire interview, I then asked when can I expect to receive a decision and they said anytime between now and the end of April! The wait ensues...

IR since 12/20.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby gaud » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:16 pm

Julez wrote:
longhornlaw wrote:Just got a phone call from admissions, but couldn't talk, as I'm stuck at work right now. Come on, plllease just make a decision? :D


I just got a phone call too! It was from admissions asking me why UNLV, etc. Hopefully I gave a good answer. After the mini questionnaire interview, I then asked when can I expect to receive a decision and they said anytime between now and the end of April! The wait ensues...

IR since 12/20.



Good Luck!!

User avatar
gokickrocks
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby gokickrocks » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:55 pm

Dinged via e-mail. Guess I'll be moving to the East Coast.

IRLV
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby IRLV » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:07 pm

gokickrocks wrote:Dinged via e-mail. Guess I'll be moving to the East Coast.



Oh NO!

Sorry to hear that. What were your numbers?

orachelo
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:39 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby orachelo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:49 pm

gokickrocks wrote:Dinged via e-mail. Guess I'll be moving to the East Coast.


Sorry to hear about the ding. When did you receive the email?

User avatar
Julez
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby Julez » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:50 am

gaud wrote:
Julez wrote:
I just got a phone call too! It was from admissions asking me why UNLV, etc. Hopefully I gave a good answer. After the mini questionnaire interview, I then asked when can I expect to receive a decision and they said anytime between now and the end of April! The wait ensues...

IR since 12/20.



Good Luck!!


Thanks! Congrats on your acceptance! Will you be matriculating?

User avatar
gokickrocks
Posts: 200
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:13 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby gokickrocks » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:23 pm

IRLV wrote:
gokickrocks wrote:Dinged via e-mail. Guess I'll be moving to the East Coast.



Oh NO!

Sorry to hear that. What were your numbers?


3.0, 160 OOS. Got the e-mail yesterday afternoon.

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby gaud » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:33 pm

Julez wrote:
gaud wrote:
Julez wrote:
I just got a phone call too! It was from admissions asking me why UNLV, etc. Hopefully I gave a good answer. After the mini questionnaire interview, I then asked when can I expect to receive a decision and they said anytime between now and the end of April! The wait ensues...

IR since 12/20.



Good Luck!!


Thanks! Congrats on your acceptance! Will you be matriculating?



As of now I am pretty sure that I will be; Yet I am still waiting to hear back from 1 or 2 more schools that I have interest in. But I really love Nevad...and if my negotiating works than I will definitely go regardless of what the other schools say.

User avatar
Julez
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby Julez » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:42 pm

gaud wrote:
Julez wrote:
gaud wrote:
Julez wrote:
I just got a phone call too! It was from admissions asking me why UNLV, etc. Hopefully I gave a good answer. After the mini questionnaire interview, I then asked when can I expect to receive a decision and they said anytime between now and the end of April! The wait ensues...

IR since 12/20.



Good Luck!!


Thanks! Congrats on your acceptance! Will you be matriculating?



As of now I am pretty sure that I will be; Yet I am still waiting to hear back from 1 or 2 more schools that I have interest in. But I really love Nevad...and if my negotiating works than I will definitely go regardless of what the other schools say.


I really love Nevada as well! I hope to get accepted.. Good luck on the rest of your cycle and I hope your negotiating works out for you!

User avatar
gaud
Posts: 5790
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:58 am

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby gaud » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:49 pm

Thank you :) Best of luck to you as well!!

lawforme22
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby lawforme22 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Can anyone give me some insight? I turned in my app 3/07. Any idea how long it takes for a result?

jpjpporter
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby jpjpporter » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:00 pm

lawforme22 wrote:Can anyone give me some insight? I turned in my app 3/07. Any idea how long it takes for a result?

Turned my application in mid-January, still nothing.. you could be waiting a while unless you have really good credentials.

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby CmonSD » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:45 pm

I haven't received my packet yet. When is the deposit deadline?

IRLV
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Re: UNLV 2011

Postby IRLV » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:59 pm

CmonSD wrote:I haven't received my packet yet. When is the deposit deadline?


Admitted student day is April 2nd and I believe the deposit deadline is April 8. Deposit is $500.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, charmonster, malysh, mav1993, zihua and 16 guests