UNLV 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jpjpporter

New

Re: UNLV 2011

Post by jpjpporter » Fri May 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Notified from a phone call from admissions. Out of state applicant i feel pretty lucky, I have no idea how selective the waitlist is.

jpjpporter

New

Post by jpjpporter » Fri May 20, 2011 7:19 pm

Wow hearing that makes me feel really really lucky
brandonNV wrote:This was my experience from last year, before I continue I would like to strongly point out that EVERY year is unique for admissions so don't read too much into this, but....

Last year my LSAT score was a 155, my GPA from UNLV a 3.6 and my LSDAS GPA was 3.1. In the third week of April I received an email that stated I was put on the waitlist. I emailed the admissions office with a letter of continued interest and was finally contacted in late may that they would not be able to admit me. Obviously I was devistated, but Boyd has ALWAYS been my top choice so I took the year off, got a job in sales (again) and waited to year out, retook the LSAT, met with Nathan Neeley to learn how to better my application (That was priceless information! I really appreciated how he pulled no punches in telling me where my application was weak, it helped a lot).

I heard through the grape vine (a reliable one) that waitlisted students usually total around 200 or so. Of those students there is an average of 8 seats that open up. When those seats do open they review each application and then pick someone to fill, so it's not like you are given a number once placed on the waitlist. This means you have a 4% chance of making it in from the waitlist (if these numbers are accurate), but it is still a chance.

From what I have been told, there is almost no seats that open for the part time program as those students tend to have strong reasons for wanting to go part time (i.e. staying in town, good job already, family support, etc.,) and therefore you have less of a chance of making it in off the waitlist.

Now I realize that this sounds very doom and gloomy, but you should know where you stand by now, or in the coming weeks, and you can use it to help you make any decisions. My strongest recommendation is that if you are serious about becoming a lawyer, and you do not already have a firm, or uncle, or sibling, or someone that owes you some kind of life-debt willing to hire you right outta law school, then do NOT settle for going to whomever accepts you, but wait it out and go to a school that is nationally recognized. UNLV has a legal writing program that is ranked 3rd in the nation! This is huge for anyone wanting to become a clerk for a judge, or work in any legislature, but it also will be extremely helpful in everyday practice. There moot court has also become well known in such a short time. In my opinion it is worth fighting for, so write those letters of continued interest, meet with whomever you need to and get in at the best schools.

Trufflesb

New

Post by Trufflesb » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:16 pm

going to send in my withdrawal tomorrow, hope someone enjoys the spot and $

TaliaT

New

Post by TaliaT » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:13 pm

Guess ill post in here also. Waiting to see if I am accepted on a transfer. Lived in Vegas all my life and moved out of state because I wasn't accepted last year. :( ANYWAY, I'm ready to move back home. If I don't get in, it isn't the end of the world....but positive vibes yield positive results. 8)

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:41 pm

TaliaT wrote:Guess ill post in here also. Waiting to see if I am accepted on a transfer. Lived in Vegas all my life and moved out of state because I wasn't accepted last year. :( ANYWAY, I'm ready to move back home. If I don't get in, it isn't the end of the world....but positive vibes yield positive results. 8)

good luck!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Moi

New

Post by Moi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:28 pm

TaliaT wrote:Guess ill post in here also. Waiting to see if I am accepted on a transfer. Lived in Vegas all my life and moved out of state because I wasn't accepted last year. :( ANYWAY, I'm ready to move back home. If I don't get in, it isn't the end of the world....but positive vibes yield positive results. 8)
good luck! I also applied for transfer. Was accepted last week.

TaliaT

New

Post by TaliaT » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Moi wrote:
Congratulations! We were just waiting on my Letter of Good Standing and Transcripts to come in. Went complete on Tuesday. How long was the turnaround time once you went complete to getting an answer?

Moi

New

Post by Moi » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:22 pm

TaliaT wrote:
Moi wrote:
Congratulations! We were just waiting on my Letter of Good Standing and Transcripts to come in. Went complete on Tuesday. How long was the turnaround time once you went complete to getting an answer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”