Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
i<3ny

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby i<3ny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:08 pm

I just got the email i'm off the wait-list. Is Broklyn even worth it without any money?

And WOW students really said they wished they hadn't gone there?

eel7566

Postby eel7566 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 pm

i<3ny wrote:I just got the email i'm off the wait-list. Is Broklyn even worth it without any money?

How are ya'll getting off the waitlist? I thought Brooklyn didn't even touch the WL until mid-April.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:20 pm

i<3ny wrote:I just got the email i'm off the wait-list. Is Broklyn even worth it without any money?

Yes. Look, take that for what its worth, every place has bitter people who wish they had made different choices. However, when I have gone to other schools people were MUCH more positive.

As for is BK worth it at sticker, my answer would be no way unless you are either independently wealthy, connected, or planning on LRAP/CCRA'ing with a non-profit and believe that lifestyle will work for you. If you plan on making 160,000 to pay off those loans, Brooklyn is a HUGE gamble that I personally would not take. Retake the LSAT and wait a year, or go somewhere else cheaper or that gives you more money.

I just didn't get a good feeling from Brooklyn, but that is a really personal thing.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:33 pm

Damn. I received that stupid financial aid email but I'm still on the waiting list.

nireca

Postby nireca » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:34 pm

just sent out a negotiation letter for merit-based aid, i'll let you guys know how it turns out

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

akcorps wrote:

Yes. Look, take that for what its worth, every place has bitter people who wish they had made different choices. However, when I have gone to other schools people were MUCH more positive.

As for is BK worth it at sticker, my answer would be no way unless you are either independently wealthy, connected, or planning on LRAP/CCRA'ing with a non-profit and believe that lifestyle will work for you. If you plan on making 160,000 to pay off those loans, Brooklyn is a HUGE gamble that I personally would not take. Retake the LSAT and wait a year, or go somewhere else cheaper or that gives you more money.

I just didn't get a good feeling from Brooklyn, but that is a really personal thing.

Do you think Miami with almost a full ride is a better choice? I'm only asking because I want to ultimately work in NYC, so i've been told Brooklyn is much better than Miami in that case, but the money aspect is really worrying me. And I know the 160K a year is a myth for BLS grads in NYC. Too much competition with higher ranked schools.

abonda01

Postby abonda01 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Yea, if Brooklyn doesn't blow me away this weekend I'm probably going to end up going to American...unless I get into Cardozo but that's a totally different issue...

nireca

Postby nireca » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:00 pm

i<3ny wrote:
akcorps wrote:

Do you think Miami with almost a full ride is a better choice? I'm only asking because I want to ultimately work in NYC, so i've been told Brooklyn is much better than Miami in that case, but the money aspect is really worrying me. And I know the 160K a year is a myth for BLS grads in NYC. Too much competition with higher ranked schools.

My understanding is that your job prospects will be better in NY if you go to a school in NY. Law schools outside of the T14 are regional, its just the nature of the beast. 160k/yr outta BLS isn't a myth its just highly unlikely. I think something like 10% (maybe less, not sure) of BLS grads make it into the NLJ 250, which is where u get those 160k salaries. But even if the chances of getting a BigLaw job in NY are slim at BLS they certainly won't be any better coming out of Miami.

My feeling is that for you Miami is a smarter choice financially but BLS is a better choice given your stated career goals.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:04 pm

waitlisted as of tuesday

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:30 pm

nireca wrote:
i<3ny wrote:
akcorps wrote:

My understanding is that your job prospects will be better in NY if you go to a school in NY. Law schools outside of the T14 are regional, its just the nature of the beast. 160k/yr outta BLS isn't a myth its just highly unlikely. I think something like 10% (maybe less, not sure) of BLS grads make it into the NLJ 250, which is where u get those 160k salaries. But even if the chances of getting a BigLaw job in NY are slim at BLS they certainly won't be any better coming out of Miami.

My feeling is that for you Miami is a smarter choice financially but BLS is a better choice given your stated career goals.

This is a personal decision, but I will chime in with my opinion. Remember, that's all it is.

Go to Miami. Seriously. Why do you want to work in NYC? The horrendous cost of living? The awful work culture? I know its not the weather. Look, the honest truth of the matter is that working in NYC is a losing game for almost everyone. The "winners" of the biglaw jobs will work themselves into the ground for almost no chance at partnership for a salary that has been dwarfed by ibankers. If you really don't want to or think you wont be able to work in biglaw, then why practice in NYC? There is no reason you couldn't go to Miami, work in SoFla and then lateral or transfer to NYC. You might find you actually like working in SoFla and decide against coming to New York.

Coming to a T2 like Brooklyn at sticker means getting into 150,000 on tuition alone. Add in 15k year for housing alone, then food, utilities, etc. and you are in debt for 250,000. You will not be able to pay these loans back easily even with a biglaw paycheck. On top of that, do not fool yourself into thinking that because of the cost of living in New York that jobs automatically pay better. They don't. I work with a bunch of 20 somethings who make 30k a year starting pay. This is a big company that pays well, but starting out you get the same crappy paycheck you would if you worked in the same type of company somewhere else.

The ONLY reason to go to an NYC T2 like BLS, SJU, or Cardozo is because you want to practice here and you have a clear cut plan of how to make it work. That means being from here (and having connections or being able to live at home), wanting to work in a smaller law firm, getting a scholarship, working in public interest and utilizing LRAP/CCRA to finance that. Otherwise go somewhere else and you can move later, people do it all the time. So why kill yourself just to feel like you have a foot in the door?

Just my 2 cents.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:56 pm

I also went yesterday, and I didn't hear anyone say they wish someone had told them not to go there, but I kind of believe it. The ASD was okay, but it didn't really feel like the place I wanted to be. It felt like to me that the students were busy bashing other NYC schools instead of talking about why Brooklyn would be a better choice. If any of you guys want to know something about the ASD, feel free to ask. I also went to the Cardozo one today, so if you want to know how they compared, I'll be happy to answer that as well.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:16 pm

Also, I thought it was weird that talked about being in Brooklyn and how great the neighborhood is to the extent that they do. It was as if it was a big a consideration as employment, curriculum, and faculty.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:51 pm

It definitely is a personal decision. FWIW, I got in with no merit aid and decided it wasn't worth it. I've been in New York for nine years, so I'm committed to the city. I'm instead going to a nice school right across the river from Manhattan that will allow me to stay under six figures of debt and is not that far behind BLS in the rankings, either.

Also? They're pretty effing rude. After I was admitted, I called to make sure they had gotten my change of address that I had e-mailed to them a week earlier because they hadn't changed it on the status checker or acknowledged it in any way. I talked to two people who snapped at me, grudgingly gave me the e-mail for someone else to contact, and slammed down the phone. I know they're busy, but there's a way to be curt but yet still professional. Do I want to deal with that attitude for three years while I pay out the nose? Fuck no.

Also - I love the typo "Broklyn" - as in you'll be broke-lyn if you go there. :mrgreen:

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Lawst wrote: It definitely is a personal decision. FWIW, I got in with no merit aid and decided it wasn't worth it. I've been in New York for nine years, so I'm committed to the city. I'm instead going to a nice school right across the river from Manhattan that will allow me to stay under six figures of debt and is not that far behind BLS in the rankings, either.

Also? They're pretty effing rude. After I was admitted, I called to make sure they had gotten my change of address that I had e-mailed to them a week earlier because they hadn't changed it on the status checker or acknowledged it in any way. I talked to two people who snapped at me, grudgingly gave me the e-mail for someone else to contact, and slammed down the phone. I know they're busy, but there's a way to be curt but yet still professional. Do I want to deal with that attitude for three years while I pay out the nose? Fuck no.

Also - I love the typo "Broklyn" - as in you'll be broke-lyn if you go there. :mrgreen:

Checking out Seton Hall or Rutgers are really good options. A friend of mine who went to SJU and I were talking the other night and he had a good point. He said to me that employers are not going to worry about rankings within the T2. Instead they are going to look at your class ranking and GPA. If you go to SJU, Cardozo, Brooklyn, Rutgers, etc. your opportunities are functionally the same. It all has to do with how WELL you do no matter which school you go to in the T2. I think BLS has lost sight of that to some degree.

I agree they are rude. I feel like I hear that from other people who have checked them out, too. What is it about downtown Brooklyn that brings that out in people?

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:15 pm

akcorps wrote:
Lawst wrote: It definitely is a personal decision. FWIW, I got in with no merit aid and decided it wasn't worth it. I've been in New York for nine years, so I'm committed to the city. I'm instead going to a nice school right across the river from Manhattan that will allow me to stay under six figures of debt and is not that far behind BLS in the rankings, either.

Checking out Seton Hall or Rutgers are really good options. A friend of mine who went to SJU and I were talking the other night and he had a good point. He said to me that employers are not going to worry about rankings within the T2. Instead they are going to look at your class ranking and GPA. If you go to SJU, Cardozo, Brooklyn, Rutgers, etc. your opportunities are functionally the same. It all has to do with how WELL you do no matter which school you go to in the T2. I think BLS has lost sight of that to some degree.

I agree they are rude. I feel like I hear that from other people who have checked them out, too. What is it about downtown Brooklyn that brings that out in people?

Ummm not even close. SJU 95 and DOZO 50 so there's 45 spots in between the 2. BLS has a great alumni base and constant ranking. Rutgers great for NJ and not close to BLS as far as city placement. So your friend who is trying to cope being at a school that is teetering on T4 should take a reality pill asap and hope CUNY doesn't pass SJU

btnyegurl

Postby btnyegurl » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:34 am

New to the thread seeing how I just applied, I know its late but I figured why the hell not?

jplwine

Postby jplwine » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:13 am

It seems like people are having issues with Brooklyn. I have had the opposite experience. Nothing but positive things to say. A couple of different alumni have e-mailed or called to see if I have questions, got a decent scholarship offer, they have always been friendly when I contact them. Going down next week to visit, so hopefully my experience will continue to be positive. It's Brooklyn, you gotta expect a little attitude. :wink:

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:34 am

jplwine wrote:It seems like people are having issues with Brooklyn. I have had the opposite experience. Nothing but positive things to say. A couple of different alumni have e-mailed or called to see if I have questions, got a decent scholarship offer, they have always been friendly when I contact them. Going down next week to visit, so hopefully my experience will continue to be positive. It's Brooklyn, you gotta expect a little attitude. :wink:

Yeah, about that scholly offer...we have practically the same stats, but BLS told me my GPA was too low to be considered for merit aid. I had over a 2.9, which LSAC lowered to a 2.84. Really? That .06 was a problem? My LSAT was 165, plus I have 15+ years of work experience in a competitive field, most of it in Manhattan.
I don't mind, and in fact kinda like, a little attitude, but a big attitude for no reason, well, that's just being a prick. I'm glad that you're having good experiences with them, at least.
Last edited by Lawst on Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:48 am

blacklawboss wrote:
akcorps wrote:

Ummm not even close. SJU 95 and DOZO 50 so there's 45 spots in between the 2. BLS has a great alumni base and constant ranking. Rutgers great for NJ and not close to BLS as far as city placement. So your friend who is trying to cope being at a school that is teetering on T4 should take a reality pill asap and hope CUNY doesn't pass SJU

OK, I agree a bit with both of you - first off, I do think 'Dozo is a Tier 1 school and now it officially is. I visited, I know some alums, and it is definitely an excellent school.
St. John's - well, I turned down them and their 30K scholly offer because I hated it when I went to visit. It was one of only two schools that I felt utterly depressed upon leaving - the location, my fellow admits (nearly all from Queens and LI and many brought their freaking parents - it seems like a commuter school), the jerk of a law prof who taught the mock class. I couldn't see myself spending three years there, and I had to go with my gut. I was not shocked to see them plummet in the rankings. In case you're wondering, CUNY was the other depressing LS, and I'm going into public interest, so it was profoundly disappointing.

I do think though that there usually isn't much difference within Tier 2 and they do tend to be a little more volatile in the rankings. I got into Seton Hall, but they didn't impress me much and didn't offer much scholly money, so out they went too. Rutgers may not place as well in NYC as most NY schools, but I liked it there and they're offering me enough scholly money that I'll pay about a quarter of what I would for BLS. For me, it came down to this - is BLS four times better than Rutgers? I decided it wasn't.

akcorps

Postby akcorps » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:40 am

blacklawboss wrote:Ummm not even close. SJU 95 and DOZO 50 so there's 45 spots in between the 2. BLS has a great alumni base and constant ranking. Rutgers great for NJ and not close to BLS as far as city placement. So your friend who is trying to cope being at a school that is teetering on T4 should take a reality pill asap and hope CUNY doesn't pass SJU

Hey asshat, T2 is T2 so get over it. I am sorry to break it to you but I trust my SJU friend who just wrapped up a 2 year appellate judicial clerkship and is heading into a new job this week over your 0L opinion on rankings. Additionally, my pre-law advisor went to SJU, worked at Debevoise and landed an academic gig. I hardly think that it is the career death sentence you are making it out to be. General consensus from legal professionals is that the number of firms at OCI are comparable at all the T2 schools in the NYC area and that to land a job you will have to do well in your class and look for work experience while you are in school. Taking a lot of money out to go to one school over another when they are FUNCTIONALLY the same at getting you a job is a bad idea.

While you may be right that BLS places higher in NYC than Rutgers I would think that's because of student choice to remain in NJ. On top of that, considering that BLS has been around for roughly a hundred years and only has about as many partners in large law firms as Cardozo which has only been around since the 1970s, I wasn't impressed with their boasts about their alumni networking.

Really dude, your attitude and argumentation skills are going to get you nowhere in life, especially if you go to BLS. I am having a hard time seeing you doing whatever it takes to remain competitive when you are clearly obsessed with rankings that no one in charge of hiring you is going to be concerned with. Take the chip off your shoulder and be a little more positive. Not everyone here is dying to go to BLS as opposed to some other school in the same tier.

Additionally, I saw from your posts that you are pretty excited about going to Cardozo. Hey, good for you. If someone else is debating whether or not to go to some schools you have stated you are not interested in, then why be a dick about it? You come across like an insecure 'dozo student. Relax, you will be competing with BLS, SJU, and to some degree Rutgers students for the same jobs.

HTH.

nireca

Postby nireca » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:37 pm

This is my favorite BLS move so far (from an email they sent out a couple days ago to admitted students):

-For those of you who need to borrow money to finance your legal education, our Guaranteed First-Year Housing Program enables you to borrow less. Do not be misled by seemingly more generous merit scholarship offers from other law schools. Do the financial analysis. We are confident that, with our housing savings, most of Brooklyn Law School’s awards are larger than those from many other schools. (emphasis added)

riiiiiight. whats funny is right after i received this email i sent them my merit-based aid negotiation letter in which i do the "financial analysis" and show them how BLS makes zero financial sense given their scholarship offer.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:39 pm

nireca wrote:riiiiiight. whats funny is right after i received this email i sent them my merit-based aid negotiation letter in which i do the "financial analysis" and show them how BLS makes zero financial sense given their scholarship offer.

Nice, I'd love for you to share their response when you get it!

nireca

Postby nireca » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:41 pm

ilovesf wrote:
nireca wrote:riiiiiight. whats funny is right after i received this email i sent them my merit-based aid negotiation letter in which i do the "financial analysis" and show them how BLS makes zero financial sense given their scholarship offer.

Nice, I'd love for you to share their response when you get it!

and i'd love to share it, unfortunately no response yet :roll:

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:10 pm

Thank you all for the advice. I think I am going to withdraw from BLS today and go to Miami. I just don't think it will be worth it to incur over 200K in debt, when I can work for some pretty big firms in MIA. For all of you with scholly money... congrats and I see how it would be worth it, but Brooklyn at sticker is something I don't wanna gamble with.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:23 pm

i<3ny wrote:Thank you all for the advice. I think I am going to withdraw from BLS today and go to Miami. I just don't think it will be worth it to incur over 200K in debt, when I can work for some pretty big firms in MIA. For all of you with scholly money... congrats and I see how it would be worth it, but Brooklyn at sticker is something I don't wanna gamble with.

Good luck! Also, I meant to mention that when I went to the LSAC forum in New York in the Fall, there was a woman on the "what do lawyers do" panel (surprisingly better than the name would suggest), who went to Miami and managed to come back to NYC to work with Legal Aid. But she was clear that she was the exception and that she had to make a big effort to make it back to NYC. But Miami is a great option as well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”