Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:42 pm

Waitlisted today via Status Checker - applied to the PT program in November.

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby blacklawboss » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:20 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Waitlisted today via Status Checker - applied to the PT program in November.


stats?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby ilovesf » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:10 am

Anyone going to the Skadden reception?

User avatar
jplwine
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby jplwine » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:01 am

ilovesf wrote:Anyone going to the Skadden reception?


Yes. Luckily, I was going to be in nyc that week.

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:37 pm

jplwine wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Anyone going to the Skadden reception?


Yes. Luckily, I was going to be in nyc that week.


I'm going too. Anyone want to meet up?

jjlaw
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:43 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby jjlaw » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:43 pm

lawskool wrote:They refused to negotiate with me as well. I feel like the e-mail I got was standardized. It said that they will not increase any awards until after May, at which point they will know if there are extra funds available.


Does anyone know if scholarships handed out after May will be given preference to those who received no merit aid the first time around?

pookie
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby pookie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:50 pm

I'm thinking about switching my application to full time. My stats are 165/2.8. I applied part time because I wasn't sure if my GPA would hold me back too much. After seeing that hardly any financial aid is given to PT, I'm reconsidering. Does anyone have any insight on this?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby ilovesf » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:06 pm

I'll actually be in NYC for the Skadden thing, but I'm on a 3 week trip and only got the invitation after I left, so I don't have some sort of suit or proper business attire outfit.. I'm not sure if I want to go if I can't bring my A-game.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby Lawst » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:18 pm

pookie wrote:I'm thinking about switching my application to full time. My stats are 165/2.8. I applied part time because I wasn't sure if my GPA would hold me back too much. After seeing that hardly any financial aid is given to PT, I'm reconsidering. Does anyone have any insight on this?


I have the same stats and got in FT - but with no merit aid. When I asked they said my GPA was too low for merit aid - that would be my GPA from '95. And yes, I have tons of WE and decent softs.
NOT THAT I AM BITTER. :wink:

Withdrawing soon. Rutgers is offering me enough money to lure me across the Hudson.

User avatar
Lawst
Posts: 504
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:02 am

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby Lawst » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:20 pm

ilovesf wrote:I'll actually be in NYC for the Skadden thing, but I'm on a 3 week trip and only got the invitation after I left, so I don't have some sort of suit or proper business attire outfit.. I'm not sure if I want to go if I can't bring my A-game.


I hear Macy's has a very forgiving return policy. Just sayin' :mrgreen:

abonda01
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby abonda01 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:36 am

ilovesf wrote:I'll actually be in NYC for the Skadden thing, but I'm on a 3 week trip and only got the invitation after I left, so I don't have some sort of suit or proper business attire outfit.. I'm not sure if I want to go if I can't bring my A-game.


I'll be there too. Should be interesting.

I'm still not crazy about Brooklyn for some reason. Something about it feels impersonal to me...does anyone else feel this way?

I am looking forward to my visit this weekend.

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:29 am

ilovesf wrote:Anyone going to the Skadden reception?


when is it?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11743
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:30 am

blacklawboss wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Anyone going to the Skadden reception?


when is it?


march 28th

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:32 am

ilovesf wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:
ilovesf wrote:Anyone going to the Skadden reception?


when is it?


march 28th


Thanks

User avatar
mm202
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby mm202 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:33 pm

abonda01 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I'll actually be in NYC for the Skadden thing, but I'm on a 3 week trip and only got the invitation after I left, so I don't have some sort of suit or proper business attire outfit.. I'm not sure if I want to go if I can't bring my A-game.


I'll be there too. Should be interesting.

I'm still not crazy about Brooklyn for some reason. Something about it feels impersonal to me...does anyone else feel this way?

I am looking forward to my visit this weekend.


completely agree. it definitely feels impersonal to me too, though I cannot pinpoint why....

abonda01
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby abonda01 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:40 pm

mm202 wrote:
completely agree. it definitely feels impersonal to me too, though I cannot pinpoint why....


I feel like such a little brat complaining about it, but there's just something missing for me when it comes to Brooklyn. I have no idea what it is or why I feel this way, but I get a warmer feeling from a lot of other schools that I've applied to.

tjs86
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby tjs86 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:03 pm

abonda01 wrote:
mm202 wrote:
completely agree. it definitely feels impersonal to me too, though I cannot pinpoint why....


I feel like such a little brat complaining about it, but there's just something missing for me when it comes to Brooklyn. I have no idea what it is or why I feel this way, but I get a warmer feeling from a lot of other schools that I've applied to.


I'm glad others are voicing what I've been feeling.

sprewell
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby sprewell » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:03 pm

so has anyone successfully negotiated for more $?

jd1969a
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby jd1969a » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:03 pm

sprewell wrote:so has anyone successfully negotiated for more $?


I emailed them a little over a week ago and haven't gotten any sort of response.

abonda01
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby abonda01 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:29 am

tjs86 wrote:
I'm glad others are voicing what I've been feeling.



I'm hoping my opinion changes after the Skadden Arps event and when I visit on Tuesday. I've actually heard from students there that they really love it.

akcorps
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby akcorps » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:08 pm

abonda01 wrote:
tjs86 wrote:
I'm glad others are voicing what I've been feeling.



I'm hoping my opinion changes after the Skadden Arps event and when I visit on Tuesday. I've actually heard from students there that they really love it.



For what its worth, I think the school is pretty impersonal and sells itself poorly. I just went to the ASD and heard students talking on my tour about how they wished someone had told them not to come. :? I don't think having a reception at a law firm is going to make up for the sometimes downright hostile attitude of the school. I think they come across like they are defensive about something.

play2win
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby play2win » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Listen, somebody has to be getting financial aid from these people. I understand how stingy they are, but some money must be going somewhere.

No money from them would be a huge problem and I'd probably take a full ride from St. Johns or Hofstra even with stips over Brooklyn at sticker.

lawgrl21
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:35 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby lawgrl21 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 pm

I just withdrew. good luck to everyone waiting and hopefully they will give my scholarship to someone still waiting!

lalalap
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby lalalap » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:58 pm

just got in via email today off wait list.

abonda01
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby abonda01 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:04 pm

akcorps wrote:
abonda01 wrote:
tjs86 wrote:
I'm glad others are voicing what I've been feeling.



I'm hoping my opinion changes after the Skadden Arps event and when I visit on Tuesday. I've actually heard from students there that they really love it.



For what its worth, I think the school is pretty impersonal and sells itself poorly. I just went to the ASD and heard students talking on my tour about how they wished someone had told them not to come. :? I don't think having a reception at a law firm is going to make up for the sometimes downright hostile attitude of the school. I think they come across like they are defensive about something.


Wowow students on the tour basically told you to go somewhere else? Oof...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, acz26, brinicolec, galeatus, m052310, Mia93, tinafeyclone, xnsch and 10 guests