Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snapdragon

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:02 am

reasonable_man wrote:Are BLS students still 95% employed at 9 months out earning $1.2 million to start; or has the school taken its wildly contrived employment stats down a half notch to match the current economic climate? Do administrators answer pointed questions about unemployed graduates when asked; or do people go the polite route and not ask when they visit on campus?

I find it hard to believe that with all the negative press surrounding BLS (the school is basically the poster child for the law school transparency movement), this place still gets swamped with applications each and every year.

reasonable_man - quick question. In your opinion, is Brooklyn with a full ride an option to consider or is the school's rep/placement poor enough that it would outweigh a full scholarship?

I don't have any scholarship info yet, just curious.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:13 am

snapdragon wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:Are BLS students still 95% employed at 9 months out earning $1.2 million to start; or has the school taken its wildly contrived employment stats down a half notch to match the current economic climate? Do administrators answer pointed questions about unemployed graduates when asked; or do people go the polite route and not ask when they visit on campus?

I find it hard to believe that with all the negative press surrounding BLS (the school is basically the poster child for the law school transparency movement), this place still gets swamped with applications each and every year.

reasonable_man - quick question. In your opinion, is Brooklyn with a full ride an option to consider or is the school's rep/placement poor enough that it would outweigh a full scholarship?

Absolutely. A full ride to BLS (or any LS), is something to consider. That said, BLS (and most law schools for that matter), are big on placing people with $$$ in the same sections hoping that some of you will lose your $$$ by violating your GPA requirement. So make sure that the GPS stipulation is something you can live with, i.e. top half or something along those lines.

emhellmer

Postby emhellmer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:33 am

IR 1/11. I feel a little flattered that they sent me a huge (costly) package yesterday inviting me to apply! :roll:

Does this mean they like me?

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:02 pm

I applied on Christmas Day and got a status checker and have been in review for over week...... and then I got the huge envelope in the mail from them yesterday. I thought for sure I had gotten in, but when I opened it it was a freaking letter and packet inviting me to apply. Ugh. That was cruel

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:54 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
snapdragon wrote:

Absolutely. A full ride to BLS (or any LS), is something to consider. That said, BLS (and most law schools for that matter), are big on placing people with $$$ in the same sections hoping that some of you will lose your $$$ by violating your GPA requirement. So make sure that the GPS stipulation is something you can live with, i.e. top half or something along those lines.

absolutely. negotiate your scholarship. top 33 is do-able but REALLY HARD. wish I had held out and negotiated more. my section is filled with geniuses while the other sections are (I hear) filled with morons. disproportionate amount of hard working and smart ppl in my section. But then everyone thinks its THEIR section. be safe and negotiate it.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:42 pm

goosey wrote:absolutely. negotiate your scholarship. top 33 is do-able but REALLY HARD. wish I had held out and negotiated more. my section is filled with geniuses while the other sections are (I hear) filled with morons. disproportionate amount of hard working and smart ppl in my section. But then everyone thinks its THEIR section. be safe and negotiate it.

Goosey - do you know of anyone who was able to negotiate to more like top 50%? I'm worried about section stacking, and a situation in which I would be attending BLS at sticker is a scary one to me.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:49 pm

snapdragon wrote:
goosey wrote:absolutely. negotiate your scholarship. top 33 is do-able but REALLY HARD. wish I had held out and negotiated more. my section is filled with geniuses while the other sections are (I hear) filled with morons. disproportionate amount of hard working and smart ppl in my section. But then everyone thinks its THEIR section. be safe and negotiate it.

Goosey - do you know of anyone who was able to negotiate to more like top 50%? I'm worried about section stacking, and a situation in which I would be attending BLS at sticker is a scary one to me.

i am not sure...I never heard of anyone.

the thing with section stacking is, everyone thinks its their section. I have reason to believe all the smart people are in my section, while there was a girl in the bathroom once talking about how she thinks her section is stacked. I would not have come to bls on sticker---the professors are amazing and super helpful..i am really happy with my decision, but if I had been paying sticker, it would be a different story. you can negotiate your scholarship up pretty significantly. I almost doubled mine in negotiation.

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:23 pm

Got the E letter today...thought it was something from admissions, that was a let down :/ I don't think I'd go to BLS but I'm interested in hearing back from them.

gummy19vp

Postby gummy19vp » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:27 pm

Stupid e news letter

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Got the admit right before the newsletter. Anyone know when scholly info comes?

Would it be worth a shot to
1) ask if they group schol recipients in the same sections and
2) negotiate to not be in that section ?

bgb1016

Postby bgb1016 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:06 pm

gummy19vp wrote:Stupid e news letter

+1

At least we're still on their mailing list?

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:48 pm

Come on RM you know that it isnt just BLS who BS's their employment data. Every law school is in on the scam. Sure BLS is really good about getting terrible press, but to everyone here considering attending it honestly isnt as bad as this board will have you believe.

The prof's really are great and the environment is pretty chill. I personally look forward to coming to school everyday. With that said, none of those positives are a good reason to choose a particular law school IMO.

Some things that are important to be aware of, although I'm sure none of you will listen to me:
1. Goosey is right, there is definitely section stacking and people will lose scholly.
2. If you want Big Law then don't go to BLS.
3. There are definitely good opportunities from BLS if:
A. You have exceptionally good grades (top 15%), but those opportunities are in government work and public interest.
B. You can network your ass off.

Reasonable Man does make great points about the dangers of choosing regional schools in a region that is oversaturated with the top competition from all law schools (You will realize that NY is full of T-14 lawyers and you are at a disadvantage right off the bat).

The thing is for many of you who receive really nice scholly's to BLS, it can be a good choice. When I was choosing law schools I heard the same stuff that you did, and I believed it, but figured I'd finish top of the class and have at least a couple big law firms to choose from. That isn't going to happen, but it isn't the end of the world.

I turned down some T30 - 50's at sticker to do BLS with basically 93% scholly. I'm going to have minimal debt and that is nice. I was never worried about not being in the top 40% and losing my scholly and after this first semester that was a good bet on my part. I believe my grades put me around top 25% and it took hard work to get there, but is definitely possible if you study smart and to be honest I dont think I did until the last month of the semester.

I networked hardcore and have a job at small boutique firm in the city for the summer. It's paid, pretty nicely for a 1L summer actually. I also took advantage of the clinics and externships BLS offers and am in the process of finalizing a judicial externship for 2L fall at a state court (don't get this confused with a prestigious type of clerkship, it's to gain experience writing and to keep my network expanding).

Overall I'm quite happy with where I stand because I realize how crappy a lot of others have it. The hardest part was realizing that I'll never work at a big firm, but hey plenty of people warned me about that just a year ago so I should have seen it coming. I don't think had I went to the higher ranked schools I'd have big law opportunities either, just a crap ton of debt and I wouldn't have been in NY this past year building my network (IMO just as important as grades) and wouldn't have a job for the summer.

The message I'm trying to get across is that I heard all the same negative talk about BLS as you are hearing. Everyone telling me that while i think i'll do well I have a better chance of losing my scholly and doing doc review for the rest of my life, that I can't rely on getting good grades because it's so arbitrary and that by choosing BLS i was sentencing myself to a miserable existence and life. Well I listened to what everyone said, but in the end I believed that if I worked hard I would do fine because it isn't as arbitrary as everyone says, and it really isnt. I worked around people who worked long and hard everyday and they all did really well too, and I hung out with some people who didn't work as hard and they didn't do as well. Surprisingly, at least from my experience, it really seemed to make sense.

I agree that you can't count on being at the top 10%, but the thing is the only reason being top 10% is necessary is if you think it will net you big law and the reality is that it wont. Like I said if you want big law then don't go to BLS. Sure maybe 5 of my 496 fellow 1L's will get big law, maybe 0 will but at a school like BLS it isn't like you can say top 10% and Im in. It's more of a "wow im actually getting an interview with (insert v100 firm)? Awesome!"

If you realize that and work hard to set yourself up to have an opportunity for a decent career BLS can actually be a good experience. But then again I could get fired mid summer and find myself as the "most knowledgeable of torts pizza delivery guy" in Staten Island. Oh well nothing is guaranteed.

Hope my perspective helps you all make a law school decision you can live with. good luck.

handprints

Postby handprints » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:27 am

amazing post, christmas mouse-- inspiring and informative thank you!

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:10 am

I agree that you can't count on being at the top 10%, but the thing is the only reason being top 10% is necessary is if you think it will net you big law and the reality is that it wont. Like I said if you want big law then don't go to BLS. Sure maybe 5 of my 496 fellow 1L's will get big law, maybe 0 will but at a school like BLS it isn't like you can say top 10% and Im in. It's more of a "wow im actually getting an interview with (insert v100 firm)? Awesome!"

so you're saying that something like top 1% at BLS gets big law?

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:16 pm

Stringer6 wrote:

so you're saying that something like top 1% at BLS gets big law?

Lol no I'm saying there is a chance like 1 or 2 people will get big law and those people will be somewhere in the top 10%, but it won't be based on them being #1 or 2 (gpa wise) in the class. That would of course help, but they will need to have other qualities than just their grades.

For example let's say there are 40 students in the top 10% and 10 of them get interviews. Let's say 2 get offers. Well those 2 aren't necessarily going to be the top gpas. They will have other qualities that the firm is looking for such as really personable, had a federal clerkship for the summer, they were on law review, moot court, etc. It is possible that the 2 who had these other qualities were ranked at 4% and 9%. So I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that top 1% get big law, instead I would say if you want big law, don't go to BLS.

I came to BLS thinking top 10% get big law, but from talking to 2L's it turns out there were only 12 big law offers last year and most of them went to the same 2 people.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Didnt Brooklyn have a higher bar pass rate than Fordham last year?

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:37 pm

Lol no I'm saying there is a chance like 1 or 2 people will get big law and those people will be somewhere in the top 10%, but it won't be based on them being #1 or 2 (gpa wise) in the class. That would of course help, but they will need to have other qualities than just their grades.

I came to BLS thinking top 10% get big law, but from talking to 2L's it turns out there were only 12 big law offers last year and most of them went to the same 2 people.

okay, so 1% of each class get big law, not necessarily the top 1%. or maybe just 1 or 2 people in the whole class? that's less than 1%.

just from looking at websites of various firms, this appears to be untrue. i also know a 3L at brooklyn who gave different information. not saying brooklyn is a big law factory, but 1 or 2 people in the whole class is crazy.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:51 pm

Stringer6 wrote:

okay, so 1% of each class get big law, not necessarily the top 1%. or maybe just 1 or 2 people in the whole class? that's less than 1%.

just from looking at websites of various firms, this appears to be untrue. i also know a 3L at brooklyn who gave different information. not saying brooklyn is a big law factory, but 1 or 2 people in the whole class is crazy.

Top 4% maybe 5%. Beyond that... No biglaw.

Stringer6

Postby Stringer6 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 pm

Top 4% maybe 5%. Beyond that... No biglaw.

yea, even that is more than 1 or 2 people. i'd say 4 to 5% is on the conservative side, 5-10% could be right. it's been a while since i've checked.

if people really want to know, go look at all websites of the big firms and see who was hired last year.

patekfan

Postby patekfan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:11 pm

According to status checker-- I'm IN!
Hope everyone else hears soon!

jdncu

Postby jdncu » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Stringer6 wrote:

I work in BigLaw now and my firm usually hires 1-2 people a year from BLS and I can't imagine we are the only firm to do so. I wouldn't bank on getting that type of gig, since I don't think anyone should, but this seems a bit extreme.

haleydee

Postby haleydee » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:15 pm

patekfan wrote:According to status checker-- I'm IN!
Hope everyone else hears soon!

WL via status checker

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:08 pm

Does anyone know if I have a shot at admission to the part time with a 158/3.95 (lsdas)?
If you know of anyone else with those numbers that got admitted that would also be good.

Thanks for your help!

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Maybe it is a little extreme. I was going on what I heard from 2L's who participated in OCI, but if you work at a firm that hires 1-2 BLS students a year I would say you're probably right that your firm isn't the only one.

It's tough to get accurate data on this specific question. I guess I got carried away with trying to say that you shouldn't expect big law out of BLS, but honestly amongst my classmates this is a common belief. Regardless, my initial intention was to say that even with crappy big law prospects BLS can be a great choice of law school and provide people with decent employment prospects

Perch

Postby Perch » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:49 pm

bgb1016 wrote:
gummy19vp wrote:Stupid e news letter

+1

At least we're still on their mailing list?

+2

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”