Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
babyoll7304

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby babyoll7304 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Pardon my naivety, but what is +1??

eel7566

Postby eel7566 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:22 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:Pardon my naivety, but what is +1??

In this context, it means, "I agree with this" or, "I want to know too."

Also, for people still in review, do you have a fees section on the bottom left hand corner of your status checker that says seat deposit, merit scholarship deposit, housing deposit and tuition downpayment? I'm trying to grab at anything that may give me a hint at my decision.

Until then, I wait.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:03 pm

"In this context, it means, "I agree with this" or, "I want to know too."

Also, for people still in review, do you have a fees section on the bottom left hand corner of your status checker that says seat deposit, merit scholarship deposit, housing deposit and tuition downpayment? I'm trying to grab at anything that may give me a hint at my decision.

Until then, I wait."

Yes. Everyone has that after it goes complete. I, too, was fooled by that. Unfortunately, it is just something added to everyone's application status screens. Its a mean trick, isn't it? Almost as mean as sending out pamphlets raving about their school, when in fact, it's probable that I am not accepted.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:20 am

jplwine wrote:I just got the snail mail letter yesterday and it mentions being considered for merit aid and suggested a couple of fellowships to apply for. They said "Our Scholarship Committee plans to announce most of its decisions by mid-March". No admitted students kit yet. fwiw, I was admitted 2/17.

So I've received the initial snail mail letter and I don't see any mention at all of being considered for merit aid nor when such scholarships are announced, unless I'm not finding it in this two-page letter. We have nearly the same numbers and are both non-trads, so I'm just sitting here confused. I wonder are they seriously not going to consider me for any merit aid, even though St. John's, which is just four spots below BLS now in the rankings, is offering 30K? I guess I could e-mail admissions to ask?

AlphaIncipiens

Postby AlphaIncipiens » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:55 am

163/3.67, moderately crappy softs.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 am

Lawst wrote:So I've received the initial snail mail letter and I don't see any mention at all of being considered for merit aid nor when such scholarships are announced, unless I'm not finding it in this two-page letter. We have nearly the same numbers and are both non-trads, so I'm just sitting here confused. I wonder are they seriously not going to consider me for any merit aid, even though St. John's, which is just four spots below BLS now in the rankings, is offering 30K? I guess I could e-mail admissions to ask?

on the 2nd pg on my acceptance letter:

"Merit Scholarship Consideration

On the basis of your academic record and your performance on the Law School Admission Test, you are now being considered for one of the Law School's merit scholarships. Our Scholarship Committee plans to announce most of its decisions by mid-March. We will notify you at that time as to whether you have been selected as a merit scholarship recipient for the 2011-2012 academic year, and in what amount."

hokie

Postby hokie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:57 am

I just received this gigantic folder from BLS and got totally excited....................just a heads up, no scholly info in there :cry: (or at least none for me)

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:09 am

tttlllsss wrote:
Lawst wrote:So I've received the initial snail mail letter and I don't see any mention at all of being considered for merit aid nor when such scholarships are announced, unless I'm not finding it in this two-page letter. We have nearly the same numbers and are both non-trads, so I'm just sitting here confused. I wonder are they seriously not going to consider me for any merit aid, even though St. John's, which is just four spots below BLS now in the rankings, is offering 30K? I guess I could e-mail admissions to ask?

On the basis of your academic record and your performance on the Law School Admission Test, you are now being considered for one of the Law School's merit scholarships. Our Scholarship Committee plans to announce most of its decisions by mid-March. We will notify you at that time as to whether you have been selected as a merit scholarship recipient for the 2011-2012 academic year, and in what amount."

Yeah, that is not in my letter. I guess I can e-mail them. I got a 165 on the LSAT and though my GPA is 2.8, it's from 16 years ago and I have excellent softs and work experience (and I wrote a pretty good addendum on why my GPA was low). I would really be shocked if I was not being considered for any merit aid.
I did have an initial 158 LSAT because I absolutely panicked, but really if it's a big jump like that it seems most schools disregard the lower score.
Well, I'm way less excited about BLS now.

jplwine

Postby jplwine » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:13 am

tttlllsss wrote:

+1

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:04 pm

I sent an email asking if I'm being considered for merit aid and if not, could I submit more info. I mentioned that I had scholarship offers from other schools but that I prefer BLS. Never know unless you ask, right?

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:25 pm

Sure. Let us know what they say, especially if they say when you can expect to hear :)

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:59 pm

They said no. Apparently my GPA from the mid-90s was too low. Um, ok?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Lawst wrote:They said no. Apparently my GPA from the mid-90s was too low. Um, ok?

Don't you hate that?! I'll do you one better Lawst, since I'm a non-trad too. I went back to school last year to finish my degree, got a 4.0 over 39 credits, and a one 164 on the LSAT. What more do they want? I swear I'm a serious student!

There was just nothing I could do to get that GPA at a respectable level. Oh well.

tjs86

Postby tjs86 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:09 pm

Long time lurker here.

If those of you who have been accepted go to your mybls login, then go to 'webadvisor' (next to announcements tab) and then financial aid --> financial aid status by year, you may be able to see your merit scholarship.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:23 pm

tjs86 wrote:Long time lurker here.

If those of you who have been accepted go to your mybls login, then go to 'webadvisor' (next to announcements tab) and then financial aid --> financial aid status by year, you may be able to see your merit scholarship.

Mine says no aid is listed.. booo.

tjs86

Postby tjs86 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:24 pm

ilovesf wrote:
tjs86 wrote:Long time lurker here.

Mine says no aid is listed.. booo.

I'm bored at work and was poking around and found it by chance, so it's entirely possible that yours just isn't on there yet.

EDIT: should add that I checked it this morning when I stumbled on it, and there was no aid listed. Then checked again later to see if there was any info about dates, etc. and there it was.

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:30 pm

tjs86 wrote:I'm bored at work and was poking around and found it by chance, so it's entirely possible that yours just isn't on there yet.

EDIT: should add that I checked it this morning when I stumbled on it, and there was no aid listed. Then checked again later to see if there was any info about dates, etc. and there it was.

Wait - were you actually able to see the dollar amount of your scholarship? Could you do a screen cap?

nshapkar

Postby nshapkar » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:38 pm

wait wait, Brooklyn has a status checker? Link me please.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:38 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
tjs86 wrote:I'm bored at work and was poking around and found it by chance, so it's entirely possible that yours just isn't on there yet.

Wait - were you actually able to see the dollar amount of your scholarship? Could you do a screen cap?

It's there for me too now (wasn't this morning). I got the Carswell

mcgillgrad10

Postby mcgillgrad10 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:50 pm

rman1201 wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:

It's there for me too now (wasn't this morning). I got the Carswell

Got the Carswell as well.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:51 pm

still nothing for me. arrrrrrgh

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Do they give out extra in addition to the named scholarships? 18k doesn't seem like much for BLS... I'm assuming so though, since the highest named is $21.5k and I know plenty tend to get full + stipend.

snapdragon

Postby snapdragon » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:55 pm

Are you guys seeing this on the status checker?

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:55 pm

snapdragon wrote:Are you guys seeing this on the status checker?

It's on BLS Connect, under web advisor -> Financial Aid

tttlllsss

Postby tttlllsss » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:59 pm

When I click on fin-aid by year, the tab says "Error" and under that it says "You have no financial aid activity on record."

I'm guessing those who haven't received $$ so far have the same thing

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”