Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rocon7383

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Postby rocon7383 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:30 pm

[/quote] Because I just want answers. I don't want to withdraw from any of my schools. I just feel like I took the time to put together an application, the least they can do is take the time to read it and decide. Also, at this point with Brooklyn, it's almost a spite thing. Like they've had me waiting since 12/15. COME ON. Give me an answer. Even if you YP me. Just fucking give me an answer. I don't know. It kind of just makes me mad.[/quote]

Boo you, sir. Boo you.

Get over it. If i was in at NYU/ Georgetown i would send my withdrawal letter immediately to any T2. Any scholarship money they offer you can be offered to someone else who can actually use it.[/quote]

That is not how life works. I'm under no obligation to withdraw my aps any sooner than I feel like withdrawing them, just because someone else could use the spot. If they're super concerned about my not going, make the choice easy for me and reject me, but don't just leave me here.[/quote]

"that is not how life works" is a meaningless expression. I find it telling that you equate not having an obligation to do the right thing as reason to not do the right thing, which, in every other aspect of life is never actually the right thing.Waiting for scholarship money from a school you have no intention of going to, and then having the audacity to complain about it gains you no sympathy here. Of course you have no obligation to withdraw, I never said you did- It would be a voluntary choice on your part, I just think your case should be next to "sweating the small stuff" on urban dictionary.com

Ldubs

Postby Ldubs » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Updated from in review 12/22 to in review 2/25... any idea what this means?

eel7566

Postby eel7566 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:27 pm

Ldubs wrote:Updated from in review 12/22 to in review 2/25... any idea what this means?

It may mean an impending decision, or it may mean continued waiting. Considering you've been waiting since mid-December, I'm going to predict a decision next week for you.

BBeauty

Postby BBeauty » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Ive been complete 1/10 > UR 1/18 > UR 2/15 > UR 2/24. Im tired of waiting...

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:56 pm

jplwine wrote:
Lawst wrote:
sprewell wrote:anyone want to predict a date when scholarship info will come out?

I've heard mid-March around here.
I've seen some people here say that their admit letters mention that they're being considered for merit aid - anyone know if that's in the snail-mailed letter only? Because there's no mention of that at all in the admit e-mail I received. I haven't received my admitted students package in the mail yet, and it sounds like it's going to be a week or two for that to arrive.

I just got the snail mail letter yesterday and it mentions being considered for merit aid and suggested a couple of fellowships to apply for. They said "Our Scholarship Committee plans to announce most of its decisions by mid-March". No admitted students kit yet. fwiw, I was admitted 2/17.

So no mention of being considered for merit aid in the e-mail, then, correct?

subtle

Postby subtle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:08 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
Because I just want answers. I don't want to withdraw from any of my schools. I just feel like I took the time to put together an application, the least they can do is take the time to read it and decide. Also, at this point with Brooklyn, it's almost a spite thing. Like they've had me waiting since 12/15. COME ON. Give me an answer. Even if you YP me. Just fucking give me an answer. I don't know. It kind of just makes me mad.[/quote]

Boo you, sir. Boo you.

Get over it. If i was in at NYU/ Georgetown i would send my withdrawal letter immediately to any T2. Any scholarship money they offer you can be offered to someone else who can actually use it.[/quote]

That is not how life works. I'm under no obligation to withdraw my aps any sooner than I feel like withdrawing them, just because someone else could use the spot. If they're super concerned about my not going, make the choice easy for me and reject me, but don't just leave me here.[/quote]

"that is not how life works" is a meaningless expression. I find it telling that you equate not having an obligation to do the right thing as reason to not do the right thing, which, in every other aspect of life is never actually the right thing.Waiting for scholarship money from a school you have no intention of going to, and then having the audacity to complain about it gains you no sympathy here. Of course you have no obligation to withdraw, I never said you did- It would be a voluntary choice on your part, I just think your case should be next to "sweating the small stuff" on urban dictionary.com[/quote]

I'm not waiting on scholarship money. I'm waiting on ANY answer--yes, no, maybe. Like I've said, they can reject me if they want, if they're concerned about my not coming, but I submitted an application so that I could get an answer. I don't intend to withdraw from ANY school, before I get ALL of my answers, whatever they may be.

And I find it laughable that withdrawing is the right thing to do. For whom? For you? For someone else? It's not even like I'm holding on to a spot, and even if I were, I'm within my right to do so until I don't want to anymore.

jplwine

Postby jplwine » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:35 pm

Lawst wrote:
jplwine wrote:
Lawst wrote:
sprewell wrote:anyone want to predict a date when scholarship info will come out?

I've heard mid-March around here.
I've seen some people here say that their admit letters mention that they're being considered for merit aid - anyone know if that's in the snail-mailed letter only? Because there's no mention of that at all in the admit e-mail I received. I haven't received my admitted students package in the mail yet, and it sounds like it's going to be a week or two for that to arrive.

I just got the snail mail letter yesterday and it mentions being considered for merit aid and suggested a couple of fellowships to apply for. They said "Our Scholarship Committee plans to announce most of its decisions by mid-March". No admitted students kit yet. fwiw, I was admitted 2/17.

So no mention of being considered for merit aid in the e-mail, then, correct?

Correct. Sorry, I forgot to address that question. I got the admit e-mail on the 18th, followed by an e-mail giving me a username and password, also on the 18th. Since then I've gotten some fellowship info e-mails and the snail mail.

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:38 pm

jplwine wrote:Correct. Sorry, I forgot to address that question. I got the admit e-mail on the 18th, followed by an e-mail giving me a username and password, also on the 18th. Since then I've gotten some fellowship info e-mails and the snail mail.

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that I still have a shot at some sort of scholarship money.

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:35 pm

Is it possible to hear from schools at night or on weekends? I've always been curious about the work schedules of the admissions people. Any thoughts/insight?

subtle

Postby subtle » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:04 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:Is it possible to hear from schools at night or on weekends? I've always been curious about the work schedules of the admissions people. Any thoughts/insight?

I would say generally no. I know that Duke admits on the weekend, but I haven't heard of many other schools doing so. (Other than snail mail reaching you on a Saturday.)

jplwine

Postby jplwine » Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:00 am

subtle wrote:
babyoll7304 wrote:Is it possible to hear from schools at night or on weekends? I've always been curious about the work schedules of the admissions people. Any thoughts/insight?

I would say generally no. I know that Duke admits on the weekend, but I haven't heard of many other schools doing so. (Other than snail mail reaching you on a Saturday.)

I agree, although when my Columbia app went complete the e-mail came at 8:30pm. Probably a work-study student, though, not ad-com member who sent it.

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:29 pm

subtle wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:
Because I just want answers. I don't want to withdraw from any of my schools. I just feel like I took the time to put together an application, the least they can do is take the time to read it and decide. Also, at this point with Brooklyn, it's almost a spite thing. Like they've had me waiting since 12/15. COME ON. Give me an answer. Even if you YP me. Just fucking give me an answer. I don't know. It kind of just makes me mad.

"that is not how life works" is a meaningless expression. I find it telling that you equate not having an obligation to do the right thing as reason to not do the right thing, which, in every other aspect of life is never actually the right thing.Waiting for scholarship money from a school you have no intention of going to, and then having the audacity to complain about it gains you no sympathy here. Of course you have no obligation to withdraw, I never said you did- It would be a voluntary choice on your part, I just think your case should be next to "sweating the small stuff" on urban dictionary.com[/quote]

I'm not waiting on scholarship money. I'm waiting on ANY answer--yes, no, maybe. Like I've said, they can reject me if they want, if they're concerned about my not coming, but I submitted an application so that I could get an answer. I don't intend to withdraw from ANY school, before I get ALL of my answers, whatever they may be.

And I find it laughable that withdrawing is the right thing to do. For whom? For you? For someone else? It's not even like I'm holding on to a spot, and even if I were, I'm within my right to do so until I don't want to anymore.[/quote]

1) Who is it the right thing to do for? An applicant on the bubble who, if you are accepted, may not be accepted or may be put in waitlist limbo. And no, not for me, I''m already in.
2) It's astonishing how, even throughout your defense, you confirm my criticism of your behavior. You once again equated this not being the right thing to do with it being within your right to not withdraw. "I'm within my right to do so until I dont want to anymore".... Yeah, we know. By your logic, if it WASN'T your right to hold on to the application then you'd be doing the right thing by withdrawing. That doesn't make any sense.

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:38 pm

rocon7383 wrote:1) Who is it the right thing to do for? An applicant on the bubble who, if you are accepted, may not be accepted or may be put in waitlist limbo. And no, not for me, I''m already in.
2) It's astonishing how, even throughout your defense, you confirm my criticism of your behavior. You once again equated this not being the right thing to do with it being within your right to not withdraw. "I'm within my right to do so until I dont want to anymore".... Yeah, we know. By your logic, if it WASN'T your right to hold on to the application then you'd be doing the right thing by withdrawing. That doesn't make any sense.

They intentionally over-accept and they expect people to wait until last minute to withdraw once all scholarships/decisions from other schools are on the table. It wouldn't be doing anyone a favor by withdrawing early and frankly would demonstrate lack of good judgment to remove options before you have a clear picture of all options. Adcomms have been in this game for years, you've only been in it for months - they know the game, they know students have other options, and they have rough approximations of how many will end up withdrawing later. I don't get the point you're trying to make.

And learn how to use the quotes (to all), its not rocket science

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:03 pm

rman1201 wrote:And learn how to use the quotes (to all), its not rocket science

This portion of the reply has won you "quote of the day". Congratulations on your achievement. :D

rocon7383

Postby rocon7383 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:07 pm

rman1201 wrote:
rocon7383 wrote:1) Who is it the right thing to do for? An applicant on the bubble who, if you are accepted, may not be accepted or may be put in waitlist limbo. And no, not for me, I''m already in.

They intentionally over-accept and they expect people to wait until last minute to withdraw once all scholarships/decisions from other schools are on the table. It wouldn't be doing anyone a favor by withdrawing early and frankly would demonstrate lack of good judgment to remove options before you have a clear picture of all options. Adcomms have been in this game for years, you've only been in it for months - they know the game, they know students have other options, and they have rough approximations of how many will end up withdrawing later. I don't get the point you're trying to make.

I'm sure it is not that difficult to remove quotes. Fortunately, I sincerely don't give a shit if my quotes are less than perfect.

Regarding the applicant, I know schools over accept on purpose. However, they still have a rough estimate of the amount of students they can accept. So the notion that an auto-admit student withdrawing won't lead to another student being accepted is unlikely at best. Also, you quoted a "clear picture of all options" but the 0L has already made it clear he will not be considering brooklyn at all. Its not an option if you are not even considering it.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:36 pm

What's taking Brooklyn so long? I applied on 1/7.

When do you guys think I'll get an answer out of them? Also, what are my chances to the part-time with 158/3.95 and scholarship?

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:50 pm

rocon7383 wrote:
rman1201 wrote:

I'm sure it is not that difficult to remove quotes. Fortunately, I sincerely don't give a shit if my quotes are less than perfect.

Regarding the applicant, I know schools over accept on purpose. However, they still have a rough estimate of the amount of students they can accept. So the notion that an auto-admit student withdrawing won't lead to another student being accepted is unlikely at best. Also, you quoted a "clear picture of all options" but the 0L has already made it clear he will not be considering brooklyn at all. Its not an option if you are not even considering it.

I understand what you're saying, but theres still no effect of withdrawing early (this applicants spite induced holding aside). All borderline applicants are typically just put on the waitlist and arent decided on until after the deposit deadline when they know for certain how many seats they have left to fill. The only time a withdrawal means anything for those waiting is if someone withdraws after the deposit deadline (and theyve made a deposit)

blacklawboss

Postby blacklawboss » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:54 pm

lawfreak wrote:What's taking Brooklyn so long? I applied on 1/7.

When do you guys think I'll get an answer out of them? Also, what are my chances to the part-time with 158/3.95 and scholarship?

Retake

babyoll7304

Postby babyoll7304 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:41 pm

I'm hate being pessimistic (wait, no I don't), but I still haven't heard from Brooklyn or a few other schools I am interested in. I sent my apps in 1/15 and am still under review at the schools. Is it me or is it starting to look like a big FLAT OUT no? I mean, seat deposits are due in April. I'm assuming they have already sent out most of the acceptances so people can make their choices. Does this mean I should be expecting an inevitable rejection??

eel7566

Postby eel7566 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:38 pm

babyoll7304 wrote:I'm hate being pessimistic (wait, no I don't), but I still haven't heard from Brooklyn or a few other schools I am interested in. I sent my apps in 1/15 and am still under review at the schools. Is it me or is it starting to look like a big FLAT OUT no? I mean, seat deposits are due in April. I'm assuming they have already sent out most of the acceptances so people can make their choices. Does this mean I should be expecting an inevitable rejection??

I can't comment on your chances at gaining admission, but Brooklyn Law School's website does say to allow 8+ weeks for a decision, so do not be discouraged. Their seat deposit deadline is not due until the middle of April. It's fair to assume you may get a decision in mid to late March. Hopefully sooner--I feel your pain. I've been admitted to schools with an April 1st deadline, so I obviously want to hear back from places like BLS before I make a decision.

Perch

Postby Perch » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:59 am

has anyone received a scholarship offer yet?

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Nope, I called and they said early March but IDK how sure they were - if anyone else wants to call and ask, that would be great :)

AlphaIncipiens

Postby AlphaIncipiens » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:18 pm

Admitted 2/25!

App sent first week of January. Was beginning to get discouraged.

lawfreak

Postby lawfreak » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:29 pm

AlphaIncipiens wrote:Admitted 2/25!

What are your numbers?

decibel8710

Postby decibel8710 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:06 pm

lawfreak wrote:
AlphaIncipiens wrote:Admitted 2/25!

What are your numbers?

+1

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”