Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bnc2010

New

Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Post by bnc2010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:04 pm

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that the application status page changed?

Right now the part where it usually says "in review" and has the status date is empty. Just this morning there was a date and it said 11/08/10. I think the "Amounts Due" on the bottom left changed also. It doesn't say any amounts, but there is a section that says "Merit Scholarship". Does any of this mean anything?

Perhaps I'm just being paranoid. I do check my app statuses a little too often.

P.S. I applied early decision.

lawgrl21

Bronze

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Post by lawgrl21 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:11 pm

I applied as well, but I hadn't checked the status checker since I got it. Is it different than it was before? I didn't apply ED, but any idea when they say decisions will start being released? Mine still says " In review"

nycdc2011

New

Post by nycdc2011 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:12 pm

If it makes you feel any better, mine is "Under Review" too. Not sure what it means but I just submitted it a couple days ago. Applied RD.

I know last year no decisions came until January, so we'll see how that pans out this time around.

bnc2010

New

Post by bnc2010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:17 pm

lawgrl21 wrote:I applied as well, but I hadn't checked the status checker since I got it. Is it different than it was before? I didn't apply ED, but any idea when they say decisions will start being released? Mine still says " In review"
Everywhere I've checked says that BLS doesn't release decisions till at least mid-December. Mine said "in review" up till recently. Like I said in my original post, that area is just blank right now.

I don't want to get myself too excited just to find out they are changing the layout of the page or something!

snapdragon

Silver

Post by snapdragon » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:21 pm

bnc2010 wrote:
lawgrl21 wrote:I applied as well, but I hadn't checked the status checker since I got it. Is it different than it was before? I didn't apply ED, but any idea when they say decisions will start being released? Mine still says " In review"
Everywhere I've checked says that BLS doesn't release decisions till at least mid-December. Mine said "in review" up till recently. Like I said in my original post, that area is just blank right now.

I don't want to get myself too excited just to find out they are changing the layout of the page or something!
Mine changed to show Merit Scholarship, and Tuition deposit, but that's been happening on a lot of status checkers, so I'm not really putting any stock into it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:05 pm

we just got an email that says theyre changing the curve, effective this semester--more A-s, B's, and B+s.

yay. so I think now top 15%-20% get either A or A-

Woods, Elle

Bronze

Post by Woods, Elle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:28 pm

In the newsletter they sent, it looks like they won't start reviewing until 2/1 :/

lawgrl21

Bronze

Post by lawgrl21 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Woods, Elle wrote:In the newsletter they sent, it looks like they won't start reviewing until 2/1 :/
seriously? that doesn't seem smart to me at all... I feel like a lot of people will be invested in schools they heard from much earlier by then

Woods, Elle

Bronze

Post by Woods, Elle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:35 pm

I think so. It's unfortunate, because BLS is my 2nd choice.

At least that's what I gather from this: (unless if it's just a deadline for Cat. I and they'll start sooner... it's a little unclear)

Deadlines and Upcoming Events

February 1st - Category I Evaluation

Complete regular review applications submitted by February 1, with all required documentation, will receive first consideration for places in the next entering class. Applicants must take the LSAT no later than the December test date for Category I evaluation. For the three most recently admitted classes, an annual average of 63% of the total admits applied in this category.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nonky

New

Post by nonky » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:44 pm

Woods, Elle wrote:I think so. It's unfortunate, because BLS is my 2nd choice.

At least that's what I gather from this: (unless if it's just a deadline for Cat. I and they'll start sooner... it's a little unclear)

Deadlines and Upcoming Events

February 1st - Category I Evaluation

Complete regular review applications submitted by February 1, with all required documentation, will receive first consideration for places in the next entering class. Applicants must take the LSAT no later than the December test date for Category I evaluation. For the three most recently admitted classes, an annual average of 63% of the total admits applied in this category.
I think what they mean is priority consideration goes to complete applications submitted by that date. According to LSN, they began notifying late December and consistently after mid-January. Good luck!

Woods, Elle

Bronze

Post by Woods, Elle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:46 pm

Oh ok, great. Yea reading it a second time makes me reconsider what I said before.

Thanks! :)

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:46 pm

i think they started making decisions in dec/jan last year

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:52 pm

I think that is correct--that Feb 1 is the priority deadline. My friend applied last year in like November and was accepted in January. I have been in review since 11/11 so I am hoping for a decision by January.

I heard about the new curve and am pretty happy about it.

Can I ask why people applied to BLS? I am always interested to hear. For me its the location, and that a friend with similar scores got a great scholarship.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Woods, Elle

Bronze

Post by Woods, Elle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Good to hear!

Sure. My reasons are basically the same as yours - great location, good opportunity for scholarship money, and it has a good reputation. Even people who don't know about law school, or have friends who go to law school, always comment to me that BLS is really good. It also has some programs/classes that are in the fields of law I'm considering. Also, I interned at the DAs office in Brooklyn 2 years ago, so I was right by the school. In my dept, about 5 out of the 7 law students I was with went to BLS and really liked it. They seemed like really nice people and I made friends with them, so it was comforting to know that people like me go there.

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:59 pm

Yeah I visited recently and got along well with the people there. Good luck! Hope we all hear something soon.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:09 pm

best thing about bls: the students and the faculty.

Faculty=super helpful. I feel like the school as a whole baby's 1Ls but it is nice. They basically do everything in their power to make sure 1Ls perform their best. Also, I havent had a single mean socratic-y professor this semester

Students= same. 2Ls and 3Ls randomly approach you and offer advice, ask you how you're adjusting, etc. Everyone is REALLY nice.

good luck to everyone that applied

musicalmissionary

New

Post by musicalmissionary » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 pm

I plan on touring the campus this coming Monday. I've been "Ready for Review" since 11/3 so I plan to ask when the first decisions might be released.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Woods, Elle

Bronze

Post by Woods, Elle » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:28 pm

Have fun! Let us know what they say/what you think about it.

I plan on visiting sometime over winter break, too.

laurencita7

New

Post by laurencita7 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:01 am

In my status checker (which just updated from 11/16 to 12/15) I am still in review, but under fees I have 4 things listed (seat deposit, merit scholarship deposit, housing deposit, tuition downpayment). They all have 0's in the amount due and amount paid column. I'm curious if others who are still in review have these topics (or others) in the fee section?

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:14 am

I have had those four things with 0.00 since i first got my status checker--i think its just the standard set up of the page.

LB88

New

Post by LB88 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Does anyone know what the chances are after being wait-listed from early-decision, part time applicants? My stats are 162 LSAT and 3.0 gpa and I was waitlisted last year when I applied for full time admission. I wonder what the chances are of them looking at their waitlist this year...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deakon10

New

Post by deakon10 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:24 am

LB88 wrote:Does anyone know what the chances are after being wait-listed from early-decision, part time applicants? My stats are 162 LSAT and 3.0 gpa and I was waitlisted last year when I applied for full time admission. I wonder what the chances are of them looking at their waitlist this year...
Your LSAT is basically at the median but your gpa is below the 25th. From last year's LSN some people got waitlisted then accepted with that combo... But it all really depends. Waitlists are all about their specific cycle needs. They'll use the waitlist especially towards the end of the year when/if they run short and end up needing to fill seats. In that case, they sometimes get desperate. I know someone who was waitlisted until like july and he got in with under 25 lsat and 25 gpa. Just gotta count your blessings.

Albatross

Bronze

Post by Albatross » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:20 am

Yea, I just noticed all those fees at the bottom. Probably means nothing.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:58 am

Soooooooo...... is BLS gonna get back to us anytime soon??

Given its middling position in NYC, you would think that BLS would try to snag good applicants ASAP...

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:36 am

mine just went to under review as of today

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”