Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snapdragon

Silver

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:56 pm

Got my admit packet in the mail today.. scholarships should be coming out mid-March.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:48 pm

Stringer6 wrote:
Lol no I'm saying there is a chance like 1 or 2 people will get big law and those people will be somewhere in the top 10%, but it won't be based on them being #1 or 2 (gpa wise) in the class. That would of course help, but they will need to have other qualities than just their grades.
I came to BLS thinking top 10% get big law, but from talking to 2L's it turns out there were only 12 big law offers last year and most of them went to the same 2 people.
okay, so 1% of each class get big law, not necessarily the top 1%. or maybe just 1 or 2 people in the whole class? that's less than 1%.

just from looking at websites of various firms, this appears to be untrue. i also know a 3L at brooklyn who gave different information. not saying brooklyn is a big law factory, but 1 or 2 people in the whole class is crazy.
yeah, that information is definitely not true. I know of more than 2 or 3 3Ls that are starting at biglaw after graduation. I would argue that top 10-15% can get it if they want and if they are otherwise good candidates. Also, if you look at sullivan & cromwell's site, you will notice the BLS representation is about double of that of fordham. I spent a lot of time looking at biglaw sites, and most have a respectable number of bls alums.

I think christmas mouse is right about this site giving bls a way worse rep. I think BLS students are fairly respected--employers look at more than what usnwr says, especially when they have a number of bls alums working there already, some partners. theres a partner at skadden, one at s&c, etc...I feel much happier about my school after seeing how people outside of tls react to it. Also, +1 to working hard and doing well. It is absolutely about hard work. If you work hard, you will do well. There will always be freak incidents that happen--like, for example, what happened to me with one of my grades [got an A, drama ensued, grade was changed] It sucks and it made me really upset--that dropped me from top 30 to top 45ish. quite depressing. But if you worked hard, that freak incident wont destroy your first year---I'm not totally screwed out of my scholarship. An A or two will put me in a very safe place. The difference between top 45 and top 25 is like .1----top 33 is not a death trap, as many would have you believe. anyone that was intelligent enough to get a full ride will likely be intelligent enough to not royally screw up each and every exam, provided they work hard

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 am

Also, if you look at sullivan & cromwell's site, you will notice the BLS representation is about double of that of fordham.
misleading, but i agree with you in general.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:22 am

and it's not double.

bls: 15
fordham: 11

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:37 am

Furthermore, it doesn't look like they heir more than 1 grad/year on average.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:29 am

goosey wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:
Lol no I'm saying there is a chance like 1 or 2 people will get big law and those people will be somewhere in the top 10%, but it won't be based on them being #1 or 2 (gpa wise) in the class. That would of course help, but they will need to have other qualities than just their grades.
I came to BLS thinking top 10% get big law, but from talking to 2L's it turns out there were only 12 big law offers last year and most of them went to the same 2 people.
okay, so 1% of each class get big law, not necessarily the top 1%. or maybe just 1 or 2 people in the whole class? that's less than 1%.

just from looking at websites of various firms, this appears to be untrue. i also know a 3L at brooklyn who gave different information. not saying brooklyn is a big law factory, but 1 or 2 people in the whole class is crazy.
yeah, that information is definitely not true. I know of more than 2 or 3 3Ls that are starting at biglaw after graduation. I would argue that top 10-15% can get it if they want and if they are otherwise good candidates. Also, if you look at sullivan & cromwell's site, you will notice the BLS representation is about double of that of fordham. I spent a lot of time looking at biglaw sites, and most have a respectable number of bls alums.

I think christmas mouse is right about this site giving bls a way worse rep. I think BLS students are fairly respected--employers look at more than what usnwr says, especially when they have a number of bls alums working there already, some partners. theres a partner at skadden, one at s&c, etc...I feel much happier about my school after seeing how people outside of tls react to it. Also, +1 to working hard and doing well. It is absolutely about hard work. If you work hard, you will do well. There will always be freak incidents that happen--like, for example, what happened to me with one of my grades [got an A, drama ensued, grade was changed] It sucks and it made me really upset--that dropped me from top 30 to top 45ish. quite depressing. But if you worked hard, that freak incident wont destroy your first year---I'm not totally screwed out of my scholarship. An A or two will put me in a very safe place. The difference between top 45 and top 25 is like .1----top 33 is not a death trap, as many would have you believe. anyone that was intelligent enough to get a full ride will likely be intelligent enough to not royally screw up each and every exam, provided they work hard

Top 10 to 15 percent can get biglaw if they want to? I'd tell that to the top 8 to 15% or so that want biglaw but cant get it, because obviously they are doing something wrong.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:38 am

Stringer6 wrote:and it's not double.

bls: 15
fordham: 11

then maybe it was another firm and I am mixing it up..but there was a firm that had less than 10 fordham grads and about 17 or so bls grads...

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:40 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Furthermore, it doesn't look like they heir more than 1 grad/year on average.

yeah, so thats 1 grad a year for that ONE firm...and there are how many other big law firms?

the point of my post was not to say 100 bls grads go into big law every year--the point was to say it is FAR more than 3. and its not like bls means no chance at big law...it just means one has to be at the very top of their class. yeah, bls is not yale--there are not going to be 20 hires per firm, but nobody is arguing that. The argument is that top 10-15% can get big law, provided they are otherwise solid candidates.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:44 am

reasonable_man wrote:
goosey wrote:
Stringer6 wrote:

Top 10 to 15 percent can get biglaw if they want to? I'd tell that to the top 8 to 15% or so that want biglaw but cant get it, because obviously they are doing something wrong.
im curious which 8-15% ranked bls students you have spoken to that you have all this inside info about them wanting biglaw and not getting it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Woods, Elle

Bronze

Post by Woods, Elle » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:40 am

Question for those who have been admitted: did you do any of the optional additional essays?

laurencita7

New

Post by laurencita7 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:02 am

Woods, Elle wrote:Question for those who have been admitted: did you do any of the optional additional essays?
Nope!

Woods, Elle

Bronze

Post by Woods, Elle » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:08 am

Ok, thanks!

I didn't either, but haven't heard back. My LSAT/GPA are good for BLS, but ever since I applied my family is harping on me for not writing it :lol: BLS was my 2nd choice, so it's not completely relevant now, but I just wanted to see if others have so that when I hear back from them, the essay isn't what I need to point to.

funhouse3

New

Post by funhouse3 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:07 am

Accepted via status checker 1/21. Anyone know anything about scholarships?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:40 pm

funhouse3 wrote:Accepted via status checker 1/21. Anyone know anything about scholarships?
Had to dig deep for this one (i.e., scroll to the top of this page)

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:12 am

FYI (since the very reasonable reasonableman mentioned LST earlier), I highly recommend that anyone with an acceptance in hand email the career services office and ask to see a complete employer list for the Class of 2010. This means a row for every graduate that includes, at a minimum, the name of the employer and the city in which they're located. Other components (like whether a JD was required for the job) are important as well, but so long as you have the employer names you can get a decent idea of whether or not the outcome was one that you would be satisfied with.

Career services should have this information collected and finalized by the end of February, so if you give them advance notice they should be able to get it into some sort of usable format by then. If they say they can't provide you with a list of employers (or if they only give you a 'sample' list that includes only top employers), ask them for other information. At a minimum, you will want to know how many graduates got legal jobs, how many were full-time, and how many graduates reported salaries in the private sector (along with the 25th/median/75th salaries). They know all of this because it goes into their responses to the U.S. News survey. Since U.S. News takes a long time to sort and make the data publicly available, your best bet is to go right to the source.

It is far, far better to use your leverage as a potential investor to get actual information from the school than to rely on TLS. If all you see on TLS are two unsubstantiated sides to the argument, your optimism bias is likely going to push you in favor of the claim that makes BLS look better. In reality, hundreds of BLS graduates are hurting right now, and for many it was a horrible financial decision. It is not enough to assume you can make the grades you'll need for a firm job; you need to know what opportunities are out there if or when you don't make the cutoff. Given that the cutoff for BLS is extremely high, you absolutely need to learn more about the other job opportunities.

Until the ABA tightens up the disclosure requirements you are unlikely to learn about actual hiring outcomes until you're already in school. Judging by some of the responses in this thread, it's apparent that even current students don't have access to this information. G'luck.

Stringer6

Platinum

Post by Stringer6 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:31 am

no scholarship info until mid-march? seriously?

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:30 pm

My app transmitted 11/30 and I have not heard a word from them. Starting to get worried as I would love for them to match my STJ scholarship. It's possible that I deleted something by accident, but I don't remember doing so.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

binghamtonalum

New

Post by binghamtonalum » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:51 pm

In review from 12/15 anyone out there been in review longer?

Albatross

Bronze

Post by Albatross » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:53 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:In review from 12/15 anyone out there been in review longer?
1/12 here.

lawschool12345

Bronze

Post by lawschool12345 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:57 pm

1/11

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:57 pm

Ready for Review since 1/12. I assume that's not the same as in review. The wait is killing me!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:46 pm

I've been in review since 11/1, I submitted mid-October.. no idea why it is taking so long!

yepyep

New

Post by yepyep » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:57 pm

binghamtonalum wrote:In review from 12/15 anyone out there been in review longer?
same

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Waitlist via status checker 1/24/11. Writing an OCI and sending an extra letter of rec, and an updated resume.

I have not the best numbers but experience working in the legal field which I think has kept me competitive.

Albatross

Bronze

Post by Albatross » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:00 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Waitlist via status checker 1/24/11. Writing an OCI and sending an extra letter of rec, and an updated resume.

I have not the best numbers but experience working in the legal field which I think has kept me competitive.
Congrats

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”