Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
akcorps

Bronze

Re: Brooklyn Law School 2011 Cycle

Post by akcorps » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:12 pm

tjs86 wrote:You aren't saving a ton, but they are below market.

What market? NYC apartment rentals? Maybe. NYC Law Schools? Nope. Look at Columbia or NYU, both are cheaper for studios/dorms, roughly on par with one bedrooms, etc. and in Manhattan. Doesn't seem like such a deal to me. Besides, you can easily find something in a nearby neighborhood easily accessible by train for far less.

Manash

New

Post by Manash » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:23 pm

akcorps wrote:
tjs86 wrote:You aren't saving a ton, but they are below market.

What market? NYC apartment rentals? Maybe. NYC Law Schools? Nope. Look at Columbia or NYU, both are cheaper for studios/dorms, roughly on par with one bedrooms, etc. and in Manhattan. Doesn't seem like such a deal to me. Besides, you can easily find something in a nearby neighborhood easily accessible by train for far less.
Yup. That place is expensive for Brooklyn and the only thing I can chalk it to is the fact that it is furnished. They have other buildings but also give you fair warning in stating they are old units, unfurnished and farther from the school.

Manash

New

Post by Manash » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:28 pm

akcorps wrote:
Manash wrote:Hmmm I too went to last week's ASD and I echo the sentiments that Brooklyn came off pushy and defensive. Your post that the current students that were complaining had probably done poorly seems rather unlikely as these were the same students that the Brooklyn Administration had chosen to lead the tours and speak to prospective students.
To clarify, these were just some random students in the hall openly and loudly telling this to whomever would listen while we were on our tour of the library.
Manash wrote:It was apparent that while the administrative staff were present the students talked up the Brooklyn "perks" which seemed relatively limited to its location, location, and location. Not job prospects but BLS' great views, proximity to court houses, and its relatively short train ride to Manhattan. Hardly overwhelming reasons to attend the law school but one that had surely been beaten into the heads of the staffers and minions alike. Not one for being clouded with this rehearsed routine, I waited till the housing tour commenced and pulled one student after the other aside, asking them to be quite frank with me. The general feeling at that point was one in which I was told that coming to Brooklyn was a HUGE gamble. There simply no jobs out there for BLS students that finish mid to bottom and slightly less jobs for those who finish just below the top. Finish in the top of your class and the sky is potentially the limit. This was evident in one of BLS' recent alumni - a top student and current judicial clerk [headed for Simpson Thacher], who joined the panel of other alumni that had gathered in the moot court to speak to us.
I thought the location thing was just downright strange. Is this in comparison to SJU? Weird. If anyone can brag about location in NYC its either NYU or Cardozo. Downtown Brooklyn (where the school actually is as opposed to their housing, which is in Brooklyn Heights) is depressing.
Manash wrote:The panel itself was perhaps the best insight into one's job prospects. 4 people were chosen to speak. One being an ADA with Kings County, another a Legal Aid Attorney, another being a current associate at Jones Day and the last being the aforementioned current Clerk. The Jones Day chap [who was 15 min late for the talk and kept grinning throughout] and the Clerk both came off as quite content and relieved that their gamble paid off. The ADA appeared to have settled into her routine of being an ADA and all in all she appeared to want to bat for the school without reference to the downside of going to BLS. Her bias was so apparent that even when asked about the potential downside of attending BLS she went off topic and began comparing BLS' career services to that of Cardozo's [hmm..I noticed the death stares from some of the Admin staff in her directly lambasting another rival school]. The Legal Aid Attorney came off as one who had grudgingly accepted to speak when they couldn't get anyone else to fill the spot. She noted that the loans were a constant strain on her life and never once mentioned whether she liked her job, the extent of her duties or the extent to which her BLS education had set her upon the path of success. Bitter perhaps? She simply answered questions and other than to fill us in as to her activities while at BLS, she stayed mum -- well it was her that I wanted to speak with personally but all 4 were quickly ushered out upon the completion of the talk. Why her? Because I believe she is more representative of the alumni base at BLS.
Look, lets be fair, I think BLS is a great choice for public interest. They talk this point up, they have representative people on their panel, etc. I don't think they are making any bones about it, but I would venture to say it is a big gamble for people wanting to work in biglaw, but anyone who is seriously thinking otherwise needs to do more research anyway. I think the emphasis on PI work makes sense, but I feel like they are definitely defensive about it for whatever reason, and I think that is what I reacted to. So what if you don't make 160k a year? That's alright with me, but having a chip on your shoulder about it makes it sound like the school sees itself as an also-ran.
Therein lies the problem with BLS that I am sure many prospective students catch. We all know BLS is not a top ranked school. Sell yourself for what you are. If its only limited to location, which it isn't, then that's a problem. There is no need to be so defensive about it to the point that we start rethinking whether this is what we're going to have to do for the rest of our legal careers - Be defensive about receiving our law degrees from BLS while also saying: hey, the view was spectacular though!

pookie

New

Post by pookie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:27 am

::sighh:: Waitlisted via Status Checker yesterday. Bummed. Well, LOCI time!

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Manash wrote:
Hmmm I too went to last week's ASD and I echo the sentiments that Brooklyn came off pushy and defensive. Your post that the current students that were complaining had probably done poorly seems rather unlikely as these were the same students that the Brooklyn Administration had chosen to lead the tours and speak to prospective students.

It was apparent that while the administrative staff were present the students talked up the Brooklyn "perks" which seemed relatively limited to its location, location, and location. Not job prospects but BLS' great views, proximity to court houses, and its relatively short train ride to Manhattan. Hardly overwhelming reasons to attend the law school but one that had surely been beaten into the heads of the staffers and minions alike. Not one for being clouded with this rehearsed routine, I waited till the housing tour commenced and pulled one student after the other aside, asking them to be quite frank with me. The general feeling at that point was one in which I was told that coming to Brooklyn was a HUGE gamble. There simply no jobs out there for BLS students that finish mid to bottom and slightly less jobs for those who finish just below the top. Finish in the top of your class and the sky is potentially the limit. This was evident in one of BLS' recent alumni - a top student and current judicial clerk [headed for Simpson Thacher], who joined the panel of other alumni that had gathered in the moot court to speak to us.

The panel itself was perhaps the best insight into one's job prospects. 4 people were chosen to speak. One being an ADA with Kings County, another a Legal Aid Attorney, another being a current associate at Jones Day and the last being the aforementioned current Clerk. The Jones Day chap [who was 15 min late for the talk and kept grinning throughout] and the Clerk both came off as quite content and relieved that their gamble paid off. The ADA appeared to have settled into her routine of being an ADA and all in all she appeared to want to bat for the school without reference to the downside of going to BLS. Her bias was so apparent that even when asked about the potential downside of attending BLS she went off topic and began comparing BLS' career services to that of Cardozo's [hmm..I noticed the death stares from some of the Admin staff in her directly lambasting another rival school]. The Legal Aid Attorney came off as one who had grudgingly accepted to speak when they couldn't get anyone else to fill the spot. She noted that the loans were a constant strain on her life and never once mentioned whether she liked her job, the extent of her duties or the extent to which her BLS education had set her upon the path of success. Bitter perhaps? She simply answered questions and other than to fill us in as to her activities while at BLS, she stayed mum -- well it was her that I wanted to speak with personally but all 4 were quickly ushered out upon the completion of the talk. Why her? Because I believe she is more representative of the alumni base at BLS.

All in all the ASD was an eye opener. Oh as for the guaranteed housing at Feil hall.. well that will run you $20k, but not to fret it's guaranteed! I'm sure you will not find it hard to find any home owner in Brooklyn who will provide you with the same guarantee at that rate. But to BLS' defense the place is furnished.

I had briefly considered going to BLS but the ASD pretty much sealed the deal for me in making me realize that it is not the place for me. Even with the merit scholarship I received, with what I'm trying to do in life, I just cannot take the gamble.

yeah, I absolutely was not saying its not a gamble. You can't graduate below median. I was just saying that hearing a few people say they wish they hadn't come doesn't mean anything--you will find those same people at every school. And I would have asked those people "so what made you decide to lead a tour?"--like these are [as far as I know] volunteer positions...so if you hate the school so much, why are you leading tours? I don't think the school went around hand picking people to do tours..if they had, they would have asked the people at the top of class, of which I haven't seen any leading tours or even mention that they were asked. They are either work-study people or else volunteers, which lends nothing to the argument that if they were at the bottom of the class the school wouldn't let them lead tours. Point being, nobody that does well regrets being at a school unless they really just hate law school in general.

That said, its all about fit. If you think the school is not a good fit for what you want for the future, then thats respectable as well. If I was big law or bust, i would probably feel a little shaky coming to brooklyn as well. My only point in that post is that random anecdotal stories about unhappy law students at a school really says nothing about the school or how the general student body feels.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pookie

New

Post by pookie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:54 pm

akcorps wrote:
Manash wrote:Hmmm I too went to last week's ASD and I echo the sentiments that Brooklyn came off pushy and defensive. Your post that the current students that were complaining had probably done poorly seems rather unlikely as these were the same students that the Brooklyn Administration had chosen to lead the tours and speak to prospective students.
To clarify, these were just some random students in the hall openly and loudly telling this to whomever would listen while we were on our tour of the library.

^^ I have friends during undergrad who would do this (among other things) as a joke during undergrad when they would see tours coming through the library...

Lawst

Silver

Post by Lawst » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:43 pm

pookie wrote:::sighh:: Waitlisted via Status Checker yesterday. Bummed. Well, LOCI time!
Aw, sorry to hear - I thought you had a pretty good shot, as we're numbers twins. BLS is really weird with how they apply their standards. There's three of us with about the same numbers that I'm aware of - one got a decent scholarship, one got in but no money (me) and now you're WL. It's not so much about the WE and softs, either - BLS told me I wasn't getting merit aid because of my GPA, so they do go by the numbers quite a bit. But they really don't seem to follow a very strong pattern, I guess.
Good luck. I withdrew a couple of days ago. I hope you get my spot.

Manash

New

Post by Manash » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:14 am

pookie wrote:
akcorps wrote:

^^ I have friends during undergrad who would do this (among other things) as a joke during undergrad when they would see tours coming through the library...
Ahh. Gotcha. I think that's kind of messed up. Its one thing when a student tells you the nitty gritt when prodded for such info. Totally different when its some random student going out of his or her way to do so during an admitted students event.

akcorps

Bronze

Post by akcorps » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:04 am

Manash wrote:
pookie wrote:
akcorps wrote:

Ahh. Gotcha. I think that's kind of messed up. Its one thing when a student tells you the nitty gritt when prodded for such info. Totally different when its some random student going out of his or her way to do so during an admitted students event.
Meh. Either students were joking like undergrads or they were serious and wanted others to know. It doesn't matter to me and it was hardly the only consideration, but it didn't make me like the school any more than I would have otherwise.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bigredforlaw

New

Post by bigredforlaw » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Withdrew this morning. Hope someone gets my $$ and acceptance soon!

IHaveLawyers

Bronze

Post by IHaveLawyers » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:53 am

Hey guys, this might have been discussed before and I might have missed it.

I checked my status today and it says "No Decision 3/9" what does this mean? Does this mean that they have looked at my file and put me on a pseudo wait list? or does it mean that they wont look at my file until 3/9?

I have the same thing happen to my status checker with OU.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Just checked my status my 2nd in review date 4/5 I didn't know Brooklyn did that. How many dates do you get here?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:39 pm

Withdrawing today. Good luck guys :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:40 pm

ilovesf wrote:Withdrawing today. Good luck guys :)
where you going? Dozo?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:46 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
where you going? Dozo?
UC Hastings. Cardozo was my second choice though. The whole debate for me was west coast v. east coast, and in the end I decided I wanted to stay in SF.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:48 pm

ilovesf wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:
where you going? Dozo?
UC Hastings. Cardozo was my second choice though. The whole debate for me was west coast v. east coast, and in the end I decided I wanted to stay in SF.
Ok makes sense Kick ass at UCH!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:51 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
ilovesf wrote: UC Hastings. Cardozo was my second choice though. The whole debate for me was west coast v. east coast, and in the end I decided I wanted to stay in SF.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:52 pm

ilovesf wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:
ilovesf wrote: UC Hastings. Cardozo was my second choice though. The whole debate for me was west coast v. east coast, and in the end I decided I wanted to stay in SF.
Thanks just one more school in NYC that I'm waiting on and my cycle is done. Should hear within next week. Hopefully before the 15th.

akcorps

Bronze

Post by akcorps » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:38 am

Apparently BLS in their infinite wisdom has decided that I should pay sticker for their school even though my numbers are above their 75% in both categories. They never gave me any aid, and my repeated attempts to contact them about this have failed to get a response. I am withdrawing today, hopefully someone who wants to go will now get the chance. The only thing I can figure is that somehow my application was overlooked when it came time to hand out aid. I truly wish others the best of luck here.

rghneck016

New

Post by rghneck016 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Has anybody been able to negotiate with BLS regarding scholarship amount/stipulations? If so, did you respond to the scholarship email or did you contact a specific individual? Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Tim0thy222

Bronze

Post by Tim0thy222 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:44 pm

I just withdrew, and I had 30.8k in scholarship, so if you're trying to negotiate, tell them "I KNOW 30.8k just freed up and I WANT IT!"

Actually that might not be a good idea.

Anyway, good luck all!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rghneck016

New

Post by rghneck016 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:38 pm

haha maybe i'll try that thanks

nireca

New

Post by nireca » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:26 pm

rghneck016 wrote:Has anybody been able to negotiate with BLS regarding scholarship amount/stipulations? If so, did you respond to the scholarship email or did you contact a specific individual? Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.
I sent an email to the admitq address over two weeks ago and despite two follow-up emails asking for confirmation of receipt, I still have not heard back from them. Probably going to withdraw any day now.

Manash

New

Post by Manash » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:15 am

anyone negotiate successfully?

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:49 am

blacklawboss wrote:Just checked my status my 2nd in review date 4/5 I didn't know Brooklyn did that. How many dates do you get here?

Me too, just got my second in review date yesterday the 11th...

wtf is this bull

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”