William Mitchell 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Re: William Mitchell 2011

Postby chrisbru » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:13 pm

twairlines wrote:chrisbru you got robbed my friend, damn I know I'll probably be going to WM next year, I've been following this thread and I thought for sure you'd be talking big money and the Fellows program in your acceptance letter. Don't give up, let them know your other scholarships and emphasize how much you like the school and all that hoopla. They may have low balled you figuring it was a safety school with that LSAT. good luck buddy

I hope you're right... I'll let you guys know how the scholarship negotiation goes. Think I should jump on it now by telling them about my $20k/year at Denver, and $14k/year at Nebraska? All of those are more than half, and they are all better ranked. Do you think the full tuition at St. Thomas would even matter to them, since St. Thomas is third tier (even though I bet they will rise in the rankings in a few years.)

Or should I wait until I hear from Iowa and WUSTL about scholarships?

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Yes, tell them now. Just say that it is really your goal to go to WM due to your desire to want to work in Minneapolis in the future. Tell them that it has become tough for you to financially stomach the thought of too much debt, and that those two other schools are offering you more in terms of finances. then throw out if you were accepted to IOWA and WUSTL and although you haven't heard any scholly info that the investment at those two schools appears safe due to their national reach. Just make it that you are in a real bind, and that if by some chance they can give your file one more look over in terms of adding any more financial aid, then your decision would become a lot simpler. Keep this in the back of your mind (they want that high LSAT), but knowing through a follow up that you are genuinely interested then they should up the offer.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:40 pm

Just a general instance of this happening. Two years ago a friend was accepted at Case Western and Pitt. He received more money at a higher ranked CW. However, he loves Pittsburgh and wants to practice their in the future. So Although CW was the better school he had better chance of making it into Pitt market with a Pitt degree. He told Pitt he would love to practice on East Coast and made some assertions that a Pitt degree would do better than a CW. He went on to say though that the money may make the decision for him and he doesn't want to regret in a few years that he made the wrong decision. He also added some jazz about family living near CW and that he would be saving even more (he actually didn't have family there). Pitt got back to him in a few days and he went from like 10k yr to 90% tuition instate. It can be done just make the argument work for those specific schools.

saintpaulJ

Postby saintpaulJ » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:42 pm

After receiving my LSAT score, my app final went complete today. Stats are 165, 3.66.

My timed practice tests ranged from 167-178, so I'm disappointed with the 165 though. I was hoping for a full tuition scholly.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:37 pm

saintpaulj,
When I was in MN over summer for a Twins game I took a tour of WM, and a lady told me that in last year's admission cycle that students who had 165 and 3.5 (and higher) were awarded full tuition. So I don't think you should worry, it appears you would still have a good chance as long as they are using parameters similar to last year's cycle. Who knows tho, they may feel esteemed in their ranking boost and may be looking for higher numbers, thus a new trend of being stingier than usual.
By the way your name indicates that you are from MN, so could you tell me what the general consensus is in the TC area on the reputation of WM. In talking to the locals many said WM is regarded as well as UMN, however none of whom were directly related to the law field. Also, say if I was in position to have just a little over 50% scholly to UMN and a full ride to WM with a chance at the Mitchell Fellows program, would you recommend one over the other. Keep in mind I love MN from my lengthy visits during all periods of the year, and that is where I want to live and practice without hesitation. I would like to work at one of the larger firms in Minneapolis or even in house at one of the large companies (they have so many Fortune 500), and have you heard or know anyone who has had these opportunities from WM.

saintpaulJ

Postby saintpaulJ » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:59 pm

twairlines,

Thanks for the info on the scholarships - that gives me some hope.

To be honest, and weighing everything, I would say the U of M has a better reputation. BUT William Mitchell IS highly regarded in Minnesota. I don't think you would regret choosing WM for your law degree. If you're comparing more than a 50% scholarship from the U and a full scholarship and Mitchell Fellow offer, I would say it's almost a toss-up. If you get less than 50% from the U, I would go with WM.

If you haven't already visited both schools, I would do that and meet with as many people as you can. Students, professors, and administration. My guess is that one of them will probably feel like a better fit for you.

Best of luck!

Inmilex

Postby Inmilex » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:46 pm

twairlines wrote:saintpaulj,
When I was in MN over summer for a Twins game I took a tour of WM, and a lady told me that in last year's admission cycle that students who had 165 and 3.5 (and higher) were awarded full tuition. So I don't think you should worry, it appears you would still have a good chance as long as they are using parameters similar to last year's cycle. Who knows tho, they may feel esteemed in their ranking boost and may be looking for higher numbers, thus a new trend of being stingier than usual.
By the way your name indicates that you are from MN, so could you tell me what the general consensus is in the TC area on the reputation of WM. In talking to the locals many said WM is regarded as well as UMN, however none of whom were directly related to the law field. Also, say if I was in position to have just a little over 50% scholly to UMN and a full ride to WM with a chance at the Mitchell Fellows program, would you recommend one over the other. Keep in mind I love MN from my lengthy visits during all periods of the year, and that is where I want to live and practice without hesitation. I would like to work at one of the larger firms in Minneapolis or even in house at one of the large companies (they have so many Fortune 500), and have you heard or know anyone who has had these opportunities from WM.

WM is definitely not regarded as well as U of M, even in the Twin Cities market (better than Hamline or St. Thomas though). Cargill, for example, won't even consider WM graduates. It won't consider anyone outside of top 10% at U of M either, but you're not getting in the door at a company like that coming straight from WM. In my opinion, if you can't get into U of M, don't bother with law school in the Twin Cities. The market here is flooded beyond belief - most of the class of 2010 can't even get doc review positions without foreign language ability.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:18 pm

Inmilex wrote:
WM is definitely not regarded as well as U of M, even in the Twin Cities market (better than Hamline or St. Thomas though). Cargill, for example, won't even consider WM graduates. It won't consider anyone outside of top 10% at U of M either, but you're not getting in the door at a company like that coming straight from WM. In my opinion, if you can't get into U of M, don't bother with law school in the Twin Cities. The market here is flooded beyond belief - most of the class of 2010 can't even get doc review positions without foreign language ability.

good to know. thanks I know though that Target, BestBuy and 3M hired numerous WM grads from last year after recently talking to an admission officer, so I suspect some companies show them love and others don't. I'm not surprised about Cargill, they are presumably the most sound financially run company in America. It trumps Fotrune 500 companies, I wouldn't be surprised if they only hired the top T14 grads.

Inmilex

Postby Inmilex » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:22 pm

twairlines wrote:good to know. thanks I know though that Target, BestBuy and 3M hired numerous WM grads from last year after recently talking to an admission officer, so I suspect some companies show them love and others don't. I'm not surprised about Cargill, they are presumably the most sound financially run company in America. It trumps Fotrune 500 companies, I wouldn't be surprised if they only hired the top T14 grads.

Do you believe everything used car salesmen tell you too?

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Inmilex wrote:
Do you believe everything used car salesmen tell you too?

lol no, do you? :roll:
I should have been more specific. When they average their placement statistics and salaries they record them in a database. I saw the database and know for a fact for the above companies mentioned have employed WM grads all from the previous graduating class. I asked to see it on my last visit after the assistant dean at my current undergrad disclosed info about my current school incase I was interested in staying there for law school. She told me those are available to view by request at many school (it's not just a list of employers, but rather start dates, salary, title, etc.). I'm not defending them by any means, just giving some facts to those interested. I'm just generally interested in the school, but I will probably not be attending as I've already been accepted on full scholarship to 2 top 30 schools that are in the Midwest. Just trying give some others info on what I found out, and being I'm not from the area I was trying to gauge some input from things that were hard for me to gather in simple visits. As well, I was seeing if anyone already knew any of these individuals with these opportunities personally, as I do not.

Inmilex

Postby Inmilex » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:33 pm

Sorry, I didn't understand whether you were referring to stats given to you by WM or an independent source. Seriously, if you believe law schools' presentation of graduate employment information, you need to look elsewhere. Almost universally, law schools paint an impossibly rosy picture of employment prospects. If they are to be believed, even the lowliest toilet somehow manages a 150% employment rate for graduates a week after graduation, and it's all bottles and models and $250,000 bonuses for taking a dump in your private office toilet.

WM does okay for placement in the Twin Cities, relatively speaking. This means that some recent WM graduates have been able to find doc review work for $20/hour. One or two from the last class managed not to be disappointed with their post-graduation employment. The rest are grappling with thoughts of suicide or seeking status in Cuba as economic refugees, like most recent law school grads.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:27 pm

no harm done inmilex,
I know what you are saying, and even seeing some of the employers and salaries I realize there was only a handful. I can almost guarantee they had to be near top of their class or had some connection, in no way do I believe that the other grads are doing anything as remotely well paying. I know all those numbers are botched, and that's why I'll be looking at one of the higher ranked schools I got into, as nothing is safe out there. I like your last line, that's pretty funny, and shockingly true for most law school grads in today's market.

Inmilex

Postby Inmilex » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:05 pm

twairlines wrote:no harm done inmilex,
I like your last line, that's pretty funny, and shockingly true for most law school grads in today's market.

I'm class of 2007, and only stopped regretting law school in early 2010. That's better than most of my classmates, and I went to a T20 school.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:42 pm

Inmilex wrote:
twairlines wrote:no harm done inmilex,
I like your last line, that's pretty funny, and shockingly true for most law school grads in today's market.

I'm class of 2007, and only stopped regretting law school in early 2010. That's better than most of my classmates, and I went to a T20 school.

Maybe you should stop posting on a law school board and get to work then. Just my 2 cents.

ILoveCaffeine

Postby ILoveCaffeine » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Does anyone know what the Fellows Program is like? What is the interview process like and what do they look for in a candidate?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:50 pm

Last edited by minnbills on Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wijo0305

Postby wijo0305 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:34 pm

My app went "File In Review" on Monday, but under Fees it lists Tuition Deposit Amount Due: 0.00 Amount Paid: .00. In the thread from last year this seemed to mean good news.

Is this how it appears for everyone? UofMN uses the same system and I don't have anything listed under Fees.

2.87/166, Non-Traditional.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:21 pm

wijo0305 wrote:My app went "File In Review" on Monday, but under Fees it lists Tuition Deposit Amount Due: 0.00 Amount Paid: .00. In the thread from last year this seemed to mean good news.

Is this how it appears for everyone? UofMN uses the same system and I don't have anything listed under Fees.

You should get in. I wouldn't read into the tuition deposit thing though.

saintpaulJ

Postby saintpaulJ » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:14 pm

wijo0305 wrote:My app went "File In Review" on Monday, but under Fees it lists Tuition Deposit Amount Due: 0.00 Amount Paid: .00. In the thread from last year this seemed to mean good news.

Mine says the same thing, and has since my file went complete. So I don't think it means anything this time around.

diamont

Postby diamont » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:38 pm

ok, i have not heard back yet and i submitted everything on 11/07! i did submit 2 new addendums (one was only a week ago) after submitting the application... does this prolong the review process? i went from app complete, to in review, then app complete, and now i'm in review again. Good things keep happening to me, like an internship and a job offer, so i obviously updated WM.

saintpaulJ

Postby saintpaulJ » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:19 pm

In via status checker today!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:52 pm

saintpaulJ wrote:In via status checker today!

Congrats!

saintpaulJ

Postby saintpaulJ » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks! I hope the packet doesn't take too long to arrive.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:30 pm

Congrats saintpaulJ!!! Just got in as well hopefully info sent in mail won't take too long. I expect possibly their largest scholarship for both of us. We're both really high number wise, so heres to hoping it happens. Hey chrisbru, how long did it take for your stuff to get to you in the mail after your status checker said the decision letter was sent? Also what all came in the envelop?

saintpaulJ

Postby saintpaulJ » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks, twairlines! Good luck to you!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”