William Mitchell 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bullentini

Re: William Mitchell 2011

Postby bullentini » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:48 pm

In via status checker: 164/3.6

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:18 pm

When did you go complete? I'm still "in review" as of 11/19

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:54 pm

chrisbru wrote:When did you go complete? I'm still "in review" as of 11/19

Same here. Hopefully we will hear something soon.

bullentini

Postby bullentini » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:02 am

I went complete on 10/15ish.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:05 pm

bullentini wrote:I went complete on 10/15ish.

Ah ok. I went complete on 11/5. I won't get too excited :-)

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:09 pm

bullentini wrote:In via status checker: 164/3.6

please please please apply to other places you could be getting in to T1's w/ $$

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
please please please apply to other places you could be getting in to T1's w/ $$

Maybe he really wants to go to school in Minneapolis, and was worried that he wouldn't get into the U of M? Why is there ALWAYS someone like this on the boards? You have no idea what the situation is... Not everyone is T14 and BigLaw or bust.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:40 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Maybe he really wants to go to school in Minneapolis, and was worried that he wouldn't get into the U of M? Why is there ALWAYS someone like this on the boards? You have no idea what the situation is... Not everyone is T14 and BigLaw or bust.

Even if he does not want t14 (which he does not have the grades/lsat for) and even if he does not want BigLaw, it still makes sense for him to apply to somewhere else, some place where there are job prospects.

http://T14 Paradise.blogspot.com/se ... m+mitchell

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Even if he does not want t14 (which he does not have the grades/lsat for) and even if he does not want BigLaw, it still makes sense for him to apply to somewhere else, some place where there are job prospects.

I love how often a BLOG from a bitter, under-performing Drake student is quoted on here. Go to whatever school you like best, be aware that job prospects in the legal field are not what they used to be, and do the best you can while you're there. /Conversation

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:53 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

I love how often a BLOG from a bitter, under-performing Drake student is quoted on here. Go to whatever school you like best, be aware that job prospects in the legal field are not what they used to be, and do the best you can while you're there. /Conversation

bullentini

Postby bullentini » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:56 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

I'm not afraid of failure. I like William Mitchell. If you don't, don't apply there.

nbonnem

Postby nbonnem » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:47 pm

I just got my acceptance letter for William Mitchell today, complete with 50% scholarship as long as my GPA stays above 2.75.

A very nice xmas present.

Kaves

Postby Kaves » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:54 am

nbonnem wrote:I just got my acceptance letter for William Mitchell today, complete with 50% scholarship as long as my GPA stays above 2.75.

Stats?

nbonnem

Postby nbonnem » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:09 pm

Kaves wrote:
nbonnem wrote:I just got my acceptance letter for William Mitchell today, complete with 50% scholarship as long as my GPA stays above 2.75.

Stats?

GPA 3.37 LSAT 160

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:17 pm

bullentini wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

I'm not afraid of failure. I like William Mitchell. If you don't, don't apply there.

Not being afraid of failure is a good quote if you plan on going to Paul Mitchell

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
bullentini wrote:I'm not afraid of failure. I like William Mitchell. If you don't, don't apply there.

Not being afraid of failure is a good quote if you plan on going to Paul Mitchell

You're an idiot. UMN and WM each have a solid grasp on a good third of the Twin Cities legal market for themselves, and extending to the entire state WM has more alums than probably all the other Minnesota law schools combined. Secondary markets don't always conform to conventional TLS wisdom dogma. Come back when you know how to do more than look at a law school's employment stats webpage.

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 am

Tanicius wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
bullentini wrote:I'm not afraid of failure. I like William Mitchell. If you don't, don't apply there.

You're an idiot. UMN and WM each have a solid grasp on a good third of the Twin Cities legal market for themselves, and extending to the entire state WM has more alums than probably all the other Minnesota law schools combined. Secondary markets don't always conform to conventional TLS wisdom dogma. Come back when you know how to do more than look at a law school's employment stats webpage.

You're right. Going 100k + in debt is a good idea when the schools own stats are saying that half of the people with jobs will make less than 60k. Something about the legal market in the area will change that. (P.S. schools always lie about their stats- ie in this case only 66% reporting, so its probably much lower than 60k. In case, you are wondering, you first job should be more than your amount of debt.).

P.S. TLS often does advocate going to school in a t3 or 4- ON A FULL SCHOLARSHIP (ie that guy who went to mercer with the can of syrup as his 'tar).

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:52 am

Most people who come to tls won't have to go $100k in debt to go to wm. Most will also outperform half of the class or more. The rest, won't ever read your advice. So it's kind of lost here. Plus, we need people with daddy's money to pay full price and do horribly, so the rest of us can go on scholarship and finish top 10% :-)

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:45 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

You're right. Going 100k + in debt is a good idea when the schools own stats are saying that half of the people with jobs will make less than 60k. Something about the legal market in the area will change that. (P.S. schools always lie about their stats- ie in this case only 66% reporting, so its probably much lower than 60k. In case, you are wondering, you first job should be more than your amount of debt.).

Most likely that is not the case. Local and state government salaries for attorneys in Minnesota start at around 55k. Obviously if you begin your own firm your salary is going to be a matter of fluctuation and speculation, but where you go to school has virtually no effect on that fact. WM is much more highly regarded in the state than you seem to realize. At least half of the Supreme Court went to Mitchell, and as I said before WM enjoys pretty ridiculous access to the downtown Twin Cities firms through its alumni network. The average big firm salary in Minnesota rarely higher than 100k. That salary is justified by a cost of living that is much lower than places like Chicago NYC. I'm not personally going to WM because I got into options that will allow me to gun for prestigious jobs outside of Minnesota, but if I had an LSAT/GPA combo that made me stuck in the state I would not flinch at going to Mitchell.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:15 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

Nicholasnickynic, you have a lot to learn about making sound arguments. First, you need valid facts. By citing a BLOG, and not a well-respected blog either, you are doing nothing but spreading lies and opinions that the blog owner has. In any event, Third Tier Reality is written by someone without much experience in this area - his/her blog is just a forum for worthless opinions that he/she is entitled to but carry no weight. By citing that blog, you are making some very weak arguments Nicholasnickynic. Not sure if you are an 0L or 1L, but if this is characteristic of your work, you should seek another field. But don't make faulty arguments based on opinion sources (which themselves are not supported by facts) - the only thing you are doing Nicholasnickynic is misleading 0L's.

And regarding the Third Tier Reality blog, the articles do have some facts copied form schools' websites but then has the writer's bias opinions which should not have any bearings on another person's decisions. Moreover, we don't know about the writer's credentials other than that he/she went to a TTT. Perhaps he/she has the views he/she expresses because of his/her school's ranking, or his/her lackluster performance. But we surely do not know, and thus citing such questionable sources is improper. Remember, there are plenty of students at ALL schools who end up jobless or with limited opportunities because of their poor law school performance, so citing a bias article that singles out a particular school is unnecessary.
Last edited by dougroberts on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dougroberts

Postby dougroberts » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Tanicius wrote:Most likely that is not the case. Local and state government salaries for attorneys in Minnesota start at around 55k. Obviously if you begin your own firm your salary is going to be a matter of fluctuation and speculation, but where you go to school has virtually no effect on that fact. WM is much more highly regarded in the state than you seem to realize. At least half of the Supreme Court went to Mitchell, and as I said before WM enjoys pretty ridiculous access to the downtown Twin Cities firms through its alumni network. The average big firm salary in Minnesota rarely higher than 100k. That salary is justified by a cost of living that is much lower than places like Chicago NYC. I'm not personally going to WM because I got into options that will allow me to gun for prestigious jobs outside of Minnesota, but if I had an LSAT/GPA combo that made me stuck in the state I would not flinch at going to Mitchell.

This is exactly right. After going through OCI and landing a SA at a top 4 firm in MN, I found out that 1.) MN BigLaw generally only hires from UMN and WM (and outside schools sometimes) but almost never Hamline or UST especially in this economy, and 2.) A lot of WM graduates in the top of their classes got associate positions at top firms. For example, I read an article in MN Lawyer I believe that showed the new hires at Briggs & Morgan for this year, and I think like 4/6 were WM and other two were UMN. That being said, if $$ is equal, you should go to UMN but if the WM scholarship substantially outweighs the MN scholarship, you might want to seriously consider WM.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:50 pm

William Mitchell College of Law is one of the largest employers of William Mitchell College of Law Alumni. Haha. You can't beat that.

It is funny enough that they have to put that until you realize that these figures are not just for a single year but that they count themselves among the all-time most prolific employers of their own grads.

--LinkRemoved--

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:01 pm

http://www.wmitchell.edu/careers/servic ... ports.html

75% of attorneys in private legal practice are at firms of 25 or less people.

66% of attorneys in private legal practice are at firms of 10 or less people.

25% of the reporting class goes to business and industry every year. That is 63 people. These are non-legal jobs but they throw in that it includes "in-house counsel". Later however they fess that only 13 are in in-house counsel jobs. Others are in human resources, consulting or management (why go to law school?), and also temporary attorney positions.

Two-thirds of the class report being in positions where bar admission is required. One-third of the class are in positions where bar-admission is not required. Again, why law school?

bullentini

Postby bullentini » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:

P.S. TLS often does advocate going to school in a t3 or 4- ON A FULL SCHOLARSHIP (ie that guy who went to mercer with the can of syrup as his 'tar).

Ok, calm down. I like WM because I got a nearly full ride scholarship. Also, I have met several students and faculty from there and I have been impressed with them all. With my numbers, I might get into UMN, but I'll have to pay full price. I just don't think UMN is $75k better than WM.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:14 pm

bullentini wrote:
Ok, calm down. I like WM because I got a nearly full ride scholarship. Also, I have met several students and faculty from there and I have been impressed with them all. With my numbers, I might get into UMN, but I'll have to pay full price. I just don't think UMN is $75k better than WM.

+1. Especially if you have no desire to work at the firms who pay the high end salaries. $50-$75k a year is fine with me, especially if I only have COL debt to worry about.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”