William Mitchell 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
EmB501

Re: William Mitchell 2011

Postby EmB501 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:00 pm

My file went under review Jan. 18th and I just got an acceptance yesterday.

LS28

Postby LS28 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:21 pm

Congratulations! I guess that means maybe next week for me...

LS28

Postby LS28 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Did anyone get WM admissions decisions last week or this week? If so, what was your timeline (file under review date/ decision letter sent date). I'm still waiting and trying to figure out where they are at in the application cycle. Thanks!

Wactawshus

Postby Wactawshus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Would anybody pay sticker at WM if: A) it was the best school you were accepted to, and B) You would be happy to stay & practice in the area?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:50 pm

Wactawshus wrote:Would anybody pay sticker at WM if: A) it was the best school you were accepted to, and B) You would be happy to stay & practice in the area?

What are your other options? If you got into St. Thomas with $$, then I'd personally take St. Thomas over higher debt with WM.

Wactawshus

Postby Wactawshus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:55 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Wactawshus wrote:Would anybody pay sticker at WM if: A) it was the best school you were accepted to, and B) You would be happy to stay & practice in the area?

What are your other options? If you got into St. Thomas with $$, then I'd personally take St. Thomas over higher debt with WM.

I'm still waiting on St. Thomas. As of right now WM is the only option in the area available to me. Would it be completely foolish to attend at sticker in your opinion?

To be honest I was a little put off by the some of the information of the St. Thomas website. I may not have put 110% into my app. which after reading through that biglaw thread, I am now regretting.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Wactawshus wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I'm still waiting on St. Thomas. As of right now WM is the only option in the area available to me. Would it be completely foolish to attend at sticker in your opinion?

To be honest I was a little put off by the some of the information of the St. Thomas website. I may not have put 110% into my app. which after reading through that biglaw thread, I am now regretting.

This worries me. If you're set on BigLaw... Don't go to WM at sticker. Wait a year, get some WE, retake your LSAT, etc.

That being said, if you just really want to go to law school, and don't mind making average wages and paying back that debt over 20 or so years, than WM isn't a bad choice. It's not a golden ticket to upper-middle class, but you're not going to be living in a studio apartment with 3 kids either.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:29 pm

With that kind of debt you'd have to be making close to biglaw to pay it back. And to be honest, midlaw is about a rare as biglaw and you most likely will have to be near the top to obtain either. It's a good school IF you can get a large scholarship. Dude if you are even remotely serious, retake LSAT.

Wactawshus

Postby Wactawshus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:30 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Wactawshus wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

This worries me. If you're set on BigLaw... Don't go to WM at sticker. Wait a year, get some WE, retake your LSAT, etc.

That being said, if you just really want to go to law school, and don't mind making average wages and paying back that debt over 20 or so years, than WM isn't a bad choice. It's not a golden ticket to upper-middle class, but you're not going to be living in a studio apartment with 3 kids either.

Thanks Chris, I appreciate your input. I couldn't care less about BigLaw ....but I do care about the school's reputation around the community.

I'm comfortable taking on debt w/ a school as long as I know there is a realistic chance to find employment after school and afford loan repayments. I just really don't want to get crushed w/ paying sticker somewhere and then be unemployable. These things keep me up at night :shock:

Wactawshus

Postby Wactawshus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:34 pm

twairlines wrote:With that kind of debt you'd have to be making close to biglaw to pay it back. And to be honest, midlaw is about a rare as biglaw and you most likely will have to be near the top to obtain either. It's a good school IF you can get a large scholarship. Dude if you are even remotely serious, retake LSAT.

I understand what you are saying here. However, according to their profile WM only gives out aid to around 30-40% of their incoming class. That is 60-70% of their class looking at paying sticker.....I am just wondering how those kids end up in the local market.

Trust me, I'm not making a commitment right now & I have other options. I'm just looking for some opinions from those who may be more familiar w/ the area/market than me.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:41 pm

Well it does have a good rep. for the area. The largest alumni in the state of MN, and they are loyal. Honestly those taking on that much debt must have family helping them pay, or they are in a decent job and have come to realize they will be paying back loans for a long time. A few non scholly students outperform scholly students and take some of the better jobs in the market. You will probably be able to land a job through networking, just know if you aren't making a decent salary a comfortable lifestyle can be thrown out the window.

Wactawshus

Postby Wactawshus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks TW, I def appreciate the insight!

Vohod

Postby Vohod » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:09 pm

Who is going to attend one of the Admitted Student Days? I registered for this coming Friday.

LS28

Postby LS28 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:11 am

Anyone accepted this week? What was your timeline?

salvage

Postby salvage » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:48 am

When is the tuition deposit due? I can't find it in my paperwork.

saintpaulJ

Postby saintpaulJ » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:37 pm

salvage wrote:When is the tuition deposit due? I can't find it in my paperwork.

It's due April 25th.

AKMT

Postby AKMT » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:36 pm

I was put on the wait list at WM on 2-8. Has anyone else that was waitlisted heard from the school since?

jduds

Postby jduds » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:34 pm

3.5 160 non urm what do you think my chances are of getting in this late in the cycle and is it wishful thinking to hope for maybe a little scholly offer????????

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:32 am

jduds wrote:3.5 160 non urm what do you think my chances are of getting in this late in the cycle and is it wishful thinking to hope for maybe a little scholly offer????????

Probably no scholly offer, and you'd be hard pressed to even get in. It's 3 days before April 1st...

Checked the deadline... I guess they accept applications until May 1st. LSP has you as an "admit" prediction, with 79% of WM admits having a lower index than you. I still think scholarship will be unlikely, however.
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

Vohod

Postby Vohod » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:11 pm

jduds wrote:3.5 160 non urm what do you think my chances are of getting in this late in the cycle and is it wishful thinking to hope for maybe a little scholly offer????????

I was offered a nice scholarship. Had a higher GPA, slightly lower LSAT... But I did this Late Nov. / Early Dec.

Hope this helps!

saintpaulJ

Postby saintpaulJ » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:57 am

Any other Mitchell Fellows offers out there who are attending or considering attending? I met with the Director of the Fellows program yesterday and sat in on a class and it seems like a pretty good program. Fall 2011 will be its fifth year, I believe. Any thoughts?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:37 am

saintpaulJ wrote:Any other Mitchell Fellows offers out there who are attending or considering attending? I met with the Director of the Fellows program yesterday and sat in on a class and it seems like a pretty good program. Fall 2011 will be its fifth year, I believe. Any thoughts?

Don't let the Fellows program pull you away from a better school. Are you set on practicing in the twin cities? If so, great. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure people with Fellows offers are able to get into much better schools.

Whoa. I just saw your profile. PLEASE do not go to William Mitchell. You should be going full tuition to at least UMN.

Actually, if you're looking to stay midwest, you should be going to Michigan. Or Chicago. Where all did you apply?

saintpaulJ

Postby saintpaulJ » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:30 pm

chrisbru wrote:
saintpaulJ wrote:Any other Mitchell Fellows offers out there who are attending or considering attending? I met with the Director of the Fellows program yesterday and sat in on a class and it seems like a pretty good program. Fall 2011 will be its fifth year, I believe. Any thoughts?

Don't let the Fellows program pull you away from a better school. Are you set on practicing in the twin cities? If so, great. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure people with Fellows offers are able to get into much better schools.

Whoa. I just saw your profile. PLEASE do not go to William Mitchell. You should be going full tuition to at least UMN.

Actually, if you're looking to stay midwest, you should be going to Michigan. Or Chicago. Where all did you apply?

Haha. I applied to the four schools in the Twin Cities. Moving is not an option for me right now. I received full rides from Hamline, St. Thomas and William Mitchell and 70% from the U. I eliminated Hamline and St. Thomas. I am already established in my career and have a six figure income. After talking to some contacts in the field, I have decided to keep my current job and go to William Mitchell part-time for free.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:35 pm

saintpaulJ wrote:

Haha. I applied to the four schools in the Twin Cities. Moving is not an option for me right now. I received full rides from Hamline, St. Thomas and William Mitchell and 70% from the U. I eliminated Hamline and St. Thomas. I am already established in my career and have a six figure income. After talking to some contacts in the field, I have decided to keep my current job and go to William Mitchell part-time for free.

Ahhh... That makes a huge difference. WM part time is a great option then. It's too bad you couldn't do Northwestern part time, but if moving isn't an option WM will be a solid education for you. Especially for free + keeping your current income.

AKMT

Postby AKMT » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:04 pm

Accepted today via status checker/email. Applied end of December, Waitlisted 2/8.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”