William Mitchell 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dougroberts

Re: William Mitchell 2011

Postby dougroberts » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:13 pm

twairlines wrote:saintpaulJ, same boat as you my friend. 85% scholly, and 3.0 to maintain it? I mean come on the scholly seemed a little rough for what I was expecting but then the fact that they require a 3.0 (especially how they curve, that would mean I'd have to place top 1/3 in rank possibly), and law grades are a thing that one cannot guarantee. Wow, saintpaulJ when you get a chance let me know if they gave you taht stipulation as well. Anhow my stats for those in this thread 4.0 and 165. Also to boot, I have 5 T30 acceptances and two of them are full rides. :? ehhh..I might throw an email at admissions and just see if they can pony up any other money, not that I'm not grateful as it stands.

I'd recommend you talk to the admissions dean at WM to see if they will match those full-ride scholarships.

With stats like yours:
1.) you should get more money than 80%; and
2.) you should not have trouble meeting the 3.0 GPA requirement, despite the curve set at like 2.75. Also, you have to meet scholarship stipulations at the end of each school year (thus, your 1L Fall grades alone do not need to be above the stipulation, just your overall 1L and 2L grades need be).

LS28

Postby LS28 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:57 am

For everyone who applied and was accepted to WM in January, after your status checker changed to "File in Review," how many days did it take to be accepted? Trying to figure out the average wait for a decision.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:13 am

I went complete Jan. 6-7? Whatever day the Dec. scores came in is the same day I went complete because all my other material was in. My status changed to Decision Letter Sent on 1/25. I got my material via snail mail on 1/29. My status still shows DLS, if that helps you (I don't think the y put Accepted on there).

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:23 pm

magicman554 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:I sent in my application this week. 2.94/171. Anyone else applying to WM this cycle?

What would possess you to go to WM? The way this cycle is going, you should not only get in, but get some great $$$ from UMN, UIUC, UI-B, and WUSTL. Even a full ride isn't worth it, because the jobs won't be too great. Unless you are dead set on practicing in Minn for a long, long time, and don't mind settling for just any job, you'd be better off elsewhere. WM students and alums may resent it, but it's the tough truth.

I applied to 11 schools. Full ride at St. Thomas, 40% at WM, waitlisted at UMN (waitlisted at UIUC too, btw.) I applied to all three Minneapolis schools because I want to practice in either Minneapolis or Denver. I'm also in at Denver with $20k, waiting on my decision from Colorado, and in at Iowa and WUSTL but still waiting on scholarship offers from those two.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:38 pm

Just checking in to say that I tried to get more $$ based on my other scholarship offers ($20k at DU, which is higher ranked, and a full-ride at UST, which is lower ranked but also in Minneapolis) since WM only gave me 40%, roughly $13k.

They said no...

William Mitchell Adcomm wrote:Dear Chrisbru,

Thanks you for your email and request for reconsideration of your scholarship offer from William Mitchell. I am sorry to tell you that Mitchell does not match offers from other schools as we have a very, very limited scholarship budget. I have carefully reviewed your application file as well as our scholarship offer, which was in line with your academic credentials and our scholarship policy for fall 2011. While you had a very good LSAT score, your GPA is well below our median. Therefore, I am unable to increase our scholarship offer of 40% tuition to you. I am sorry, but I sincerely hope that you will continue to carefully evaluate all of your offers, and schedule a visit to Mitchell to see our campus before making your final law school decision.

My GPA may be "well below" their median, but my LSAT is FIFTEEN points above their median. Needless to say, I withdrew.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:02 pm

lol, chrisbru, I just withdrew as well. Although I received an 85% scholarship i emailed them as well, with no luck. That shit won't do it for me especially after receiving more money at T30 schools. I may like the MSP area a lot, but no way in hell do the numbers add up, especially with larger money at two T30 schools. I felt a little too much undervalued, and maybe this is blessing in disguise forcing me to attend a higher ranked school. Anyhow, best of luck to all you remaining applicants and those accepted. It's a great school if you want to stay in MSP and that's why I gave one last ditch attempt to see if I could get more money. I hope my money goes to someone here that is still waiting to hear back!!!! Again guys, best of luck and enjoy beautiful St. Paul for me.

Kaves

Postby Kaves » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Decision letter sent. Any idea how long after the decision letter one can expect scholarship info?

cartercl

Postby cartercl » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Kaves wrote:Decision letter sent. Any idea how long after the decision letter one can expect scholarship info?

It comes with the packet.

Kaves

Postby Kaves » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:56 pm

cartercl wrote:
Kaves wrote:Decision letter sent. Any idea how long after the decision letter one can expect scholarship info?

It comes with the packet.

Perfect thanks, should have it today or tomorrow then.

LS28

Postby LS28 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:27 pm

How long was your file in review before your decision letter was sent?

LS28

Postby LS28 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:28 pm

LS28 wrote:

Also, did your status checker say that you were accepted? It appears that some people's status checkers are saying accepted while others who were acccepted just say decision letter sent.

Kaves

Postby Kaves » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:23 am

LS28 wrote:

Sent apps > In Review > Decision sent. Total less then a week.

flounder02

Postby flounder02 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:59 am

Applied on Jan 16, just checked status and on 2/6 accepted and letter sent.

Steven88

Postby Steven88 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Decision letter sent (2/3)
Acceptance package arrived (2/7)

LS28

Postby LS28 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Steven88 wrote:Decision letter sent (2/3)

Congrats! How long was your file under review? My file has been under review for a week now, and I was hoping I would find out sooner than later! Did your status checker say that you were accepted as well?

Steven88

Postby Steven88 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:46 pm

LS28 wrote:
Steven88 wrote:Decision letter sent (2/3)

Congrats! How long was your file under review? My file has been under review for a week now, and I was hoping I would find out sooner than later! Did your status checker say that you were accepted as well?

Thank you. I am actually not sure how long my file was under review because I had not been keeping up with the status checker. In fact, I only checked it twice. (Once when it went complete months ago and the other day). Sorry I can't be much more help.

But, my status checker did say "Congratulations..." in white text on the top of the page.

Good luck, I hope you receive good news.

Kaves

Postby Kaves » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Has anyone had any luck getting their scholarship money increased? Like several here I have 100% offers from other schools in the area and less at WM, just wondering if they are willing to budge on their initial offers at all.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Kaves wrote:Has anyone had any luck getting their scholarship money increased? Like several here I have 100% offers from other schools in the area and less at WM, just wondering if they are willing to budge on their initial offers at all.

Hey I was 165 and 4.03, didn't get 100%, and saintpaul J had similar stats (slightly lower GPA), and got the same offer. I tried to negotiate, even notified them of a full ride in top 30 I have, and they said congrats, but they are very limited with funds. however, you would think they would boost it by just a little for those with absurd numbers for a school ranked that low, but nope. Good luck, but I will tell you that unless you can outdo my top 30 school with a full ride then you don't stand a chance. By the way some biglaw attorney in MSP has a forum going in the Discuss your Law School, and by all intentions if you want Minneapolis he seems to give the edge to St. thomas due to them fielding better applicants (just by looking at the stats). So although WM has a sweet alumni base that would prob. do someone better if they are lower in class rank, those at the top at each school might be better suited at UST. I thought this was maybe at his firm only that this "New Shift" to go with UST over WM for top grads, but I emailed 7 firms in that area that I consider Biglaw, and 3 said UST is equal in terms of hiring in their offices in last few years despite lacking any alumni there. The other 4 had the same consensus as the poster in the other thread, and agrees that UST has less grads in their office, however they have hired more UST compared to WM grads in the last couple of years. So, take it for what it's worth, just thought I'd inform you while you still are considering schools.

Kaves

Postby Kaves » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:42 pm

twairlines wrote:
Kaves wrote:Has anyone had any luck getting their scholarship money increased? Like several here I have 100% offers from other schools in the area and less at WM, just wondering if they are willing to budge on their initial offers at all.

Hey I was 165 and 4.03, didn't get 100%, and saintpaul J had similar stats (slightly lower GPA), and got the same offer. I tried to negotiate, even notified them of a full ride in top 30 I have, and they said congrats, but they are very limited with funds. however, you would think they would boost it by just a little for those with absurd numbers for a school ranked that low, but nope. Good luck, but I will tell you that unless you can outdo my top 30 school with a full ride then you don't stand a chance. By the way some biglaw attorney in MSP has a forum going in the Discuss your Law School, and by all intentions if you want Minneapolis he seems to give the edge to St. thomas due to them fielding better applicants (just by looking at the stats). So although WM has a sweet alumni base that would prob. do someone better if they are lower in class rank, those at the top at each school might be better suited at UST. I thought this was maybe at his firm only that this "New Shift" to go with UST over WM for top grads, but I emailed 7 firms in that area that I consider Biglaw, and 3 said UST is equal in terms of hiring in their offices in last few years despite lacking any alumni there. The other 4 had the same consensus as the poster in the other thread, and agrees that UST has less grads in their office, however they have hired more UST compared to WM grads in the last couple of years. So, take it for what it's worth, just thought I'd inform you while you still are considering schools.

Yea I have read it all, just not sure how I feel about rolling the dice for a chance. More and more I think its better to just put up the $$ and stay in the T30.

salvage

Postby salvage » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Posted this elsewhere but maybe this is the right place. I'm struggling with the choice between WM and St. Thomas. I was offered $20,000/year at St. Thomas (good academic standing stipulation) or 50% tuition at William Mitchell (2.75 stipulation). I'd prefer to attend WM, is there any tactful way to contact them and try to get more money? I'm not necessarily talking about leveraging (although advice on that would be nice), but maybe contacting them and letting them know I'd really love to attend but the financial burden of 50% tuition is still pretty damn big, could they perhaps up the scholarship? Otherwise, any advice on removing the stipulation?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:11 pm

salvage wrote:Posted this elsewhere but maybe this is the right place. I'm struggling with the choice between WM and St. Thomas. I was offered $20,000/year at St. Thomas (good academic standing stipulation) or 50% tuition at William Mitchell (2.75 stipulation). I'd prefer to attend WM, is there any tactful way to contact them and try to get more money? I'm not necessarily talking about leveraging (although advice on that would be nice), but maybe contacting them and letting them know I'd really love to attend but the financial burden of 50% tuition is still pretty damn big, could they perhaps up the scholarship? Otherwise, any advice on removing the stipulation?

I tried to negotiate at WM. I had 40% at WM, and full-tuition at St. Thomas, as well as higher than WM scholarships at Denver and Nebraska (both ranked higher)... They basically said they have a limited scholarship budget, and are unwilling to increase my scholarship.

IMHO, St. Thomas is a better school than WM, it just needs time to mature like WM. It's only 10 years old, after all, with it's first graduating class only in the workforce for ~7 years. I'd try to get St. Thomas to up their scholly a bit, then go there.

LS28

Postby LS28 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:53 pm

Anyone accepted to WM this week? If so, when did you file go under review? My file went under review in the last week of January. Still waiting... Hoping to hear this week!

Kaves

Postby Kaves » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:33 pm

chrisbru wrote:
salvage wrote:Posted this elsewhere but maybe this is the right place. I'm struggling with the choice between WM and St. Thomas. I was offered $20,000/year at St. Thomas (good academic standing stipulation) or 50% tuition at William Mitchell (2.75 stipulation). I'd prefer to attend WM, is there any tactful way to contact them and try to get more money? I'm not necessarily talking about leveraging (although advice on that would be nice), but maybe contacting them and letting them know I'd really love to attend but the financial burden of 50% tuition is still pretty damn big, could they perhaps up the scholarship? Otherwise, any advice on removing the stipulation?

I tried to negotiate at WM. I had 40% at WM, and full-tuition at St. Thomas, as well as higher than WM scholarships at Denver and Nebraska (both ranked higher)... They basically said they have a limited scholarship budget, and are unwilling to increase my scholarship.

IMHO, St. Thomas is a better school than WM, it just needs time to mature like WM. It's only 10 years old, after all, with it's first graduating class only in the workforce for ~7 years. I'd try to get St. Thomas to up their scholly a bit, then go there.

Anyone else think WM is in for a dive in the rankings with the what appears to be a significant amount of money available then there was last year?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Kaves wrote:
Anyone else think WM is in for a dive in the rankings with the what appears to be a significant amount of money available then there was last year?

I don't see any way that they'll stay in the top 100 this year.

twairlines

Postby twairlines » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:44 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Kaves wrote:

I don't see any way that they'll stay in the top 100 this year.

+1 It's like they seem fine just being above water in a sense. I see no room for a commitment to get better. They just rely on sending a big graduating class out each year, and hope alumni help them land jobs. UST in my mind has done nothing but place an emphasis on getting better. For instance see (large scholarship offers, better LSAT and GPA %'s, bringing in some notable professors by luring them in with money, and they seem to have their externship program down to perfection). When UST breaks top 100, in my mind they will do everything in there power to fuel off of that for future improvement. If I was in position that either two were my only options, UST would be the credited response. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=146346

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”