William Mitchell 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Gold

Re: William Mitchell 2011

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:58 pm

twairlines wrote:Congrats saintpaulJ!!! Just got in as well hopefully info sent in mail won't take too long. I expect possibly their largest scholarship for both of us. We're both really high number wise, so heres to hoping it happens. Hey chrisbru, how long did it take for your stuff to get to you in the mail after your status checker said the decision letter was sent? Also what all came in the envelop?
I dunno what your LSAT is, but I'm a 171 and only got 40%. Your GPA is a lot better though.

Envelope came like 2 weeks after admission. I don't remember exact information (I didn't pay much attention to it) but it did have scholarship amount, stipulations, etc.

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Ugh... two weeks is a really long wait. I wish they'd let me come pick it up. I live like two miles from them.

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:12 pm

chrisbru wrote: I dunno what your LSAT is, but I'm a 171 and only got 40%. Your GPA is a lot better though.

Envelope came like 2 weeks after admission. I don't remember exact information (I didn't pay much attention to it) but it did have scholarship amount, stipulations, etc.
165 and 4.03....largely above both 75%. I'm still suprised all you got was 40%, because although your GPA is not the greatest, that LSAT would have helped bring up the LSAT median with applicants who are admitted with lower scores.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:26 pm

twairlines wrote:
chrisbru wrote: I dunno what your LSAT is, but I'm a 171 and only got 40%. Your GPA is a lot better though.

165 and 4.03....largely above both 75%. I'm still suprised all you got was 40%, because although your GPA is not the greatest, that LSAT would have helped bring up the LSAT median with applicants who are admitted with lower scores.
No offense... But are you going to go to William Mitchell? With those numbers you can go to a much better school. Even U of M should let you in, with some $$$ even.

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:33 pm

ehh I don't know. I know I got 2 schools in T30 offering around 50%, and 2 full scholarship. I just want to end up in the Minneapolis market really bad and I figured if UMN doesn't offer me alot of money then my best bet would be WM, even over the other T30 schools for what I want.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Received the admission packet in the mail today!!! :D

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:52 pm

saintpaulJ wrote:Received the admission packet in the mail today!!! :D
Nice job man, here on the East Coast so hopefully by Saturday? Anyhow, any info on scholly?

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:00 pm

85%. I was hoping for more, but it's still a great deal.

Let us know how you do!

Kaves

New

Post by Kaves » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:17 pm

saintpaulJ wrote:85%. I was hoping for more, but it's still a great deal.

Let us know how you do!
Would you mind sharing your numbers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:54 pm

Kaves wrote:

Let us know how you do!
Sure. 165 and 3.66

Kaves

New

Post by Kaves » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:59 pm

saintpaulJ wrote:
Kaves wrote:

Let us know how you do!
Sure. 165 and 3.66
Interesting, seems last year that would have been 100% without any doubt.

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Yeah, that's what I thought. Are you still waiting to hear?

Kaves

New

Post by Kaves » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:14 pm

saintpaulJ wrote:Yeah, that's what I thought. Are you still waiting to hear?
Yep, waiting on $$ amounts. Looking like 50-60% based on what other people are getting. In which case I will not be attending.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Let us know how you do!
Yeah, if they didn't give you 100% I'm worried because you not only have numbers that would have got full tuition last year but your profile boasts some impressive softs. I'm not in the position to give WM my numbers and hard work of building my resume for some stiff offer. I love WM, and I hope to hell....eh nvm. Congrats on the offer though saintpaulJ. That's a lot of money for a quality education, especially with your expressed desire to stay in the TC area you just can't beat it.

ixwad

New

Post by ixwad » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:42 pm

90% here -- 166, 3.51

Also, they told me they don't match scholarships. WM definitely appeals to me, but eeesh, I wish they had made it a round 100%!

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:49 pm

ixwad wrote:90% here -- 166, 3.51

Also, they told me they don't match scholarships. WM definitely appeals to me, but eeesh, I wish they had made it a round 100%!
Congrats man. Too bad to hear they don't match. I got a full tuition scholarship T30, and figured I could use that as leverage. Too bad that T30 has no strong connection to the MN market or I would have made a decision already.

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:18 am

Congrats! Do you think you'll attend?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:29 am

saintpaulJ wrote:

Hey saintpaul J, was there any viewbook in the acceptance packet, or was it just letters informing you of various things? Also, do you plan on attending now that you got such a large scholarship?

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:48 pm

twairlines wrote:
saintpaulJ wrote:

Hey saintpaul J, was there any viewbook in the acceptance packet, or was it just letters informing you of various things? Also, do you plan on attending now that you got such a large scholarship?
I think there was a viewbook. Unless I'm mixing it up with St. Thomas's packet. It's at home and I'm at work. I think there was, though. It might have only been two pages. And there was a financial aid booklet.

EDIT: I'll probably attend.

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:48 pm

All,
I am a 2L at William Mitchell, and I thought I'd share some, hopefully, unbiased opinions from my personal observations.

About Me
I, like many on this thread, intend to practice in Minnesota which is why I applied here initially. I did around last year's 25% for LSAT because of some family issues but had an undergrad GPA from a Top 40 school that was higher than top 75%. I also had some decent softs despite coming straight from undergrad. Finally, in my opinion, I know I had a rock-solid PS and LORs. I ended up getting a 90% scholarship. I am currently ranked around Top 10%, and have a summer associate position lined up. I considered transferring up after 1L but decided against it after talking with some MN lawyers who said 1) they do hire from WM just as much as UMN, and 2) in this economy, I should lower my financial risk.

Scholarships
In general, WM offers VERY FEW 100% scholarships, and will never award above 100% per the Student Policy handbook. There are a lot of students who get 40%, 50%, 75%, and 90% it seems; there are, of course, even more who get 0-25% scholarships probably.

EDIT - I think WM also places more emphasis on undergrad GPA and experience/softs than UMN, which focuses very heavily on LSAT scores.

Maintaining a scholarship is easy. Some will have different requirements. I think that the higher your scholarship, the more strict your requirement. For example, mine requires me to maintain like a 2.75 or something. Others that I know have only a Top 50% class rank requirement, which translates to a bit less than 2.75 GPA. In any event, both requirements are not too hard to meet, so long as you find out how law school works (for now, all I can say is use the tips given on TLS about exam taking and studying, that's what I relied on).

Hiring
WM is definitely in second-place behind the UMN in terms of hiring. I can assure you that, after going through OCI, very few big firms hire from UST and none from Hamline, unless you are like ranked #1 at each school. I would estimate that top 20% of UMN get a big law position, whereas top 10-15% at WM get a big law position. When you factor in that generally the top of WM's class has nice scholarships, I would say that WM is a better deal in this economy.

For public interest, the school that offers the most money between UMN, WM, and UST is probably the safest bet.

Student Body
There is a great mix of students at WM. You have a decent population of older students who work at the large corporations in the Twin Cities. But the largest group are younger students, around 23-25 years old.

Going forward, I think WM is starting to place more emphasis on the rankings to continue the upward trend. No doubt it has a far way to go, but at least it is in the right direction. Same can be said about UST, which I think may crack Top 100 schools in the next 5 years. I do not, however, think that UST will surpass WM just because of WM's history and alumni. By the way, rankings are probably only important for big law and corporate positions.

All MN schools with the exception of UMN are regional schools, so I would reconsider going to any if you plan on leaving MN right after graduation.

I do not regret my decision. Even with the option of transferring, I decided to stay at WM (thus, I basically decided to go to WM twice).

Hope this helps.
Last edited by dougroberts on Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:06 pm

Thanks dougroberts. That was a great insightful opinion and congrats on your rank. I know you mentioned an associate position that you have lined up, and was wondering if it might have been at one of the larger firms in the TC area? No names or specifics, just general size. Also, as an East Coaster I'm curious to how many individuals come from outside MN, ore even the Midwest. If you know of any, let me know how they have done in terms of networking. Lastly, are you part of the Mitchell Fellows program, and if not, what have you heard about it from students in it. Thanks again doug, and congrats on the summer offer you have, and your kick-ass class standing!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:00 am

twairlines wrote:I know you mentioned an associate position that you have lined up, and was wondering if it might have been at one of the larger firms in the TC area? No names or specifics, just general size.
Yes; its a large firm (market paying).

twairlines wrote:Also, as an East Coaster I'm curious to how many individuals come from outside MN, ore even the Midwest. If you know of any, let me know how they have done in terms of networking.
Not really; I know of some students from nearby states (WI, IA, ND, SD, etc.). But, if you are coming from anywhere outside of MN, you have to network and show connections to the local market regardless of which school you go to. If you have family here, that is usually sufficient. I did not really rely on networking, just got my gig via OCI, as would most others. But I think the legal market in general in MN was a kind of rough last year. I read some comments from UMN students about not getting SA positions despite being top 20% at UMN. Hence, the reason to minimize debt.

twairlines wrote:Lastly, are you part of the Mitchell Fellows program, and if not, what have you heard about it from students in it.
I am not in the Fellows program (because my LSAT was bogus). I have heard good things from it, though I do not really know what it entails (I'm sure if you are invited you will get some marketing material that explains it). I do know that some of the better professors manage the Fellows program, which gives those students close contact with reputable professors (useful for recommendations).

magicman554

Bronze

Post by magicman554 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:27 am

chrisbru wrote:I sent in my application this week. 2.94/171. Anyone else applying to WM this cycle?

What would possess you to go to WM? The way this cycle is going, you should not only get in, but get some great $$$ from UMN, UIUC, UI-B, and WUSTL. Even a full ride isn't worth it, because the jobs won't be too great. Unless you are dead set on practicing in Minn for a long, long time, and don't mind settling for just any job, you'd be better off elsewhere. WM students and alums may resent it, but it's the tough truth.

twairlines

Bronze

Post by twairlines » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:02 pm

saintpaulJ, same boat as you my friend. 85% scholly, and 3.0 to maintain it? I mean come on the scholly seemed a little rough for what I was expecting but then the fact that they require a 3.0 (especially how they curve, that would mean I'd have to place top 1/3 in rank possibly), and law grades are a thing that one cannot guarantee. Wow, saintpaulJ when you get a chance let me know if they gave you taht stipulation as well. Anhow my stats for those in this thread 4.0 and 165. Also to boot, I have 5 T30 acceptances and two of them are full rides. :? ehhh..I might throw an email at admissions and just see if they can pony up any other money, not that I'm not grateful as it stands.

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:31 pm

twairlines wrote:saintpaulJ, same boat as you my friend. 85% scholly, and 3.0 to maintain it? I mean come on the scholly seemed a little rough for what I was expecting but then the fact that they require a 3.0 (especially how they curve, that would mean I'd have to place top 1/3 in rank possibly), and law grades are a thing that one cannot guarantee. Wow, saintpaulJ when you get a chance let me know if they gave you taht stipulation as well. Anhow my stats for those in this thread 4.0 and 165. Also to boot, I have 5 T30 acceptances and two of them are full rides. :? ehhh..I might throw an email at admissions and just see if they can pony up any other money, not that I'm not grateful as it stands.
Yep, same stipulation. 3.0 to maintain.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”