William Mitchell 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
always206

New

Re: William Mitchell 2011

Post by always206 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Accepted today off of the WL. :)

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:55 pm

always206 wrote:Accepted today off of the WL. :)
Congrats! Will you be attending?

salvage

Bronze

Post by salvage » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:33 pm

What does the Mitchell Fellows program entail? What are the requirements?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:37 pm

salvage wrote:What does the Mitchell Fellows program entail? What are the requirements?
I was pretty enticed by it last year. Unless it has changed for next year it's basically some extra opportunities for networking and learning opportunities. They want to use it to get some people who would otherwise go to the U of MN, Iowa, and Wisc. The professor in charge is a young guy and has a lot of enthusiasm for the program.

It is pretty new, however, so it's not well-known in the Twin Cities...

I don't think you can apply, I think they select from admitted students

jduds

New

Post by jduds » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:18 pm

Just got accepted with a 50 percent off tuition scholly offer applied in a little over a week ago. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

always206

New

Post by always206 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:28 pm

saintpaulJ wrote:
Yes. I'm assuming, based on your name, you're from the area.

What's a good place near the campus?

Additionally, how's the nursing market?

Thanks for your insight and help. I appreciate it very much!

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 am

always206 wrote:
saintpaulJ wrote:

What kind of "place" near campus do you mean?

always206

New

Post by always206 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:27 am

saintpaulJ wrote:
always206 wrote:
saintpaulJ wrote:

What kind of "place" near campus do you mean?
Sorry, let me clarify. What's a good place to live? Preferably with a gated parking garage, of sorts, and within a reasonably nice area? Thanks!

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:46 am

The Mac/Groveland and Crocus Hill neighborhoods are nice, and very close. Southwest and just northeast of the college, respectively. I'm not sure on specific apartment buildings, particularly with a gated parking garage. Good luck with your search, though!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bullentini

New

Post by bullentini » Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:17 pm

There are plenty of places to live in the vicinity of William Mitchell. It's easy to drive to and parking is not too difficult. So, you can search beyond the immediate area. If people are planning to live in the city, remember, this is MN. It snows a lot. If you live somewhere where you don't have off street parking, you're going to be constantly moving your car to avoid towing/tickets/getting plowed into a snow bank. I rent a 1 bedroom apartment in Highland Park with off street parking for $725/m. From my experience, this is the norm for no frills 1 bedroom apartments in the St. Paul area. There are suburban apartments for cheaper within a 20 minute drive.

DongLei

New

Post by DongLei » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Anyone know if by signing my intent to enroll and sending in my deposit I am required to withdraw from wait list schools? The form didn't say anything about withdrawing from other schools but it is an intent to enroll so I don't know. I'd call and ask but I don't want to sound dumb asking what seems to be an obvious answer.

jduds

New

Post by jduds » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:56 pm

Just got my schollly raised from 50 to 75 percent think I am going to attend

saintpaulJ

New

Post by saintpaulJ » Mon May 02, 2011 1:02 pm

jduds wrote:Just got my schollly raised from 50 to 75 percent think I am going to attend
Congrats on the increase! Did you just ask them for it?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

salvage

Bronze

Post by salvage » Mon May 02, 2011 4:58 pm

saintpaulJ wrote:
jduds wrote:Just got my schollly raised from 50 to 75 percent think I am going to attend
Congrats on the increase! Did you just ask them for it?
I'd also like to know. I attempted to negotiate, and they told me they simply don't do it.

jduds

New

Post by jduds » Tue May 03, 2011 1:47 pm

I did ask them for it I told them that other schools had offered me a more scholarship money however I really wanted to go to WM but they would likely need to offer me more money if they wanted me to attend

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue May 03, 2011 2:51 pm

jduds wrote:I did ask them for it I told them that other schools had offered me a more scholarship money however I really wanted to go to WM but they would likely need to offer me more money if they wanted me to attend
Congrats. I told them about my 3/4 ride to Denver and they still wouldn't go higher than 40%. I wonder if I would have waited to withdraw until after my full from Iowa came if they'd have changed their tune. Oh well, maybe I'll see y'all in Minneapolis firms after graduation!

salvage

Bronze

Post by salvage » Wed May 04, 2011 11:12 am

jduds wrote:I did ask them for it I told them that other schools had offered me a more scholarship money however I really wanted to go to WM but they would likely need to offer me more money if they wanted me to attend
Not to harp on this, but I pretty much told them the same thing, and they said they NEVER negotiate scholarships. Would you be willing to provide a copy of the email (with identifying info rescinded, obviously)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jduds

New

Post by jduds » Wed May 11, 2011 8:07 pm

I didn't email them I talked to them directly on the phone. I said to a woman in admissions " I want to attend but can't because Gonzaga offered me more money". Soon after they offered me 75 percent. However I will sadly not be attending I got a really good scholarship to University of Denver this morning of 25k per year. However, I have alot of respect for William Mitchell it is an awesome law school hope someone gets my seat and 75% scholarship. Good luck to you all.

salvage

Bronze

Post by salvage » Thu May 12, 2011 11:11 am

jduds wrote:I didn't email them I talked to them directly on the phone. I said to a woman in admissions " I want to attend but can't because Gonzaga offered me more money". Soon after they offered me 75 percent. However I will sadly not be attending I got a really good scholarship to University of Denver this morning of 25k per year. However, I have alot of respect for William Mitchell it is an awesome law school hope someone gets my seat and 75% scholarship. Good luck to you all.
What were your numbers, if you don't mind me asking?

jduds

New

Post by jduds » Thu May 12, 2011 3:11 pm

3.45 160 non urm

salvage

Bronze

Post by salvage » Thu May 12, 2011 5:38 pm

jduds wrote:3.45 160 non urm
Pretty much my equivalent. I wonder if maybe it's worth asking again, even though the deposit has already been submitted.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Thu May 26, 2011 12:53 am

Hi...new to this thread. I'm from CA and was recently accepted. Can someone enlighten me about the weather during the winter? When it snows, how does one get to school? Do a lot of things close due to the weather?

Forgive my ignorance but I'm really trying to figure out if this is where I can see myself going.

Also, what is the area like surrounding the school? I will not be able to fly out to visit.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

:)

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu May 26, 2011 1:01 am

singingkris wrote:Hi...new to this thread. I'm from CA and was recently accepted. Can someone enlighten me about the weather during the winter? When it snows, how does one get to school? Do a lot of things close due to the weather?

Forgive my ignorance but I'm really trying to figure out if this is where I can see myself going.

Also, what is the area like surrounding the school? I will not be able to fly out to visit.

Very rarely does anything close. Winters in MN are:

1.) cold

2.) full of snow

Get a good winter coat. You don't really have to do anything extra to get to school if you're driving - you just have to be prepared for the engine to not start on some days.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu May 26, 2011 10:58 am

singingkris wrote:Hi...new to this thread. I'm from CA and was recently accepted. Can someone enlighten me about the weather during the winter? When it snows, how does one get to school? Do a lot of things close due to the weather?

Unlike the west coast, the midwest has snow removal down pretty well. All streets will be driveable by the time you wake up most times. The bus will still run as well, no problems. If you live close enough to walk... The sidewalks will be fine, but you'll want to bundle up!

I can't comment on the area around school (I never visited) but I can say that Minneapolis/St. Paul is a gorgeous place to live. There are so many lakes, parks, etc. There is also a vibrant nightlife and plenty of shopping and such to sustain you. One thing I love about it, is that it's never too far to find a grocery store or gas station, even if you're living in the city.

St. Paul is a little bit less "downtown" of a feel, but still has a nice downtown area.

singingkris

Bronze

Post by singingkris » Thu May 26, 2011 11:21 am

Thank you for the detailed responses. Sounds lovely. Is it true that it snows for six months out of the year?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”