Drake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
THB

Re: Drake 2011

Postby THB » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:59 pm

Ya, I'm going on Friday to get a feel for the school, should be cool.

TheGetUpKid

Postby TheGetUpKid » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:15 pm

Ya, I'm 99% certain I will be attending law school at Drake. Still waiting to here on a couple of scholarships, but I'm pretty much set. I'll be at Friday morning's thing, but not the moot court thing on Saturday. I am also going to the banquet. Apparently, it's a very expensive ticket and they allow us to go for free and start networking already. Plus, I like an occasion to dress up!

t3hevildonut

Postby t3hevildonut » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:19 am

TheGetUpKid wrote:Ya, I'm 99% certain I will be attending law school at Drake. Still waiting to here on a couple of scholarships, but I'm pretty much set. I'll be at Friday morning's thing, but not the moot court thing on Saturday. I am also going to the banquet. Apparently, it's a very expensive ticket and they allow us to go for free and start networking already. Plus, I like an occasion to dress up!

I wish I could go, I won't be able to miss class Friday and can't justify a four hour drive on Saturday.

I'm feeling torn between KU and Drake. I don't know what to do. Someone help

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:20 am

t3hevildonut wrote:
TheGetUpKid wrote:Ya, I'm 99% certain I will be attending law school at Drake. Still waiting to here on a couple of scholarships, but I'm pretty much set. I'll be at Friday morning's thing, but not the moot court thing on Saturday. I am also going to the banquet. Apparently, it's a very expensive ticket and they allow us to go for free and start networking already. Plus, I like an occasion to dress up!

I wish I could go, I won't be able to miss class Friday and can't justify a four hour drive on Saturday.

Where do you want to practice? If it's Kansas City, go to KU, if it's Des Moines, go to Drake. If you already have a job lined up, and just need the degree, then go to KU... It will be a lot more fun than Drake.

TheGetUpKid

Postby TheGetUpKid » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 am

chrisbru wrote:
t3hevildonut wrote:

Where do you want to practice? If it's Kansas City, go to KU, if it's Des Moines, go to Drake. If you already have a job lined up, and just need the degree, then go to KU... It will be a lot more fun than Drake.

Lawrence is quite the college town. KU is also the best law school in the state of Kansas, so you can work pretty much anywhere in Kansas (except I don't know why you would want to work anywhere west of Topeka). It is also incredibly strong in the KC market on in both KS and MO. Not sure which direction you're driving from, but even if you can't make the Friday drive, I would highly recommend visiting both schools. Without actually visiting the schools, you must rely on numbers, recruiters, and these forums. I think it's huge to visit the school and see if it "feels" right. Anyway, best of luck, and let me know if you have any questions. I am pretty familiar with both schools and cities you are talking about.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:51 pm

t3hevildonut wrote:

Visit both. That is the only way to know what will be right for you.

I don't know about the fun part, we have an awful lot of fun around here :lol:

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:23 pm

evilxs wrote:My undergrad did not offer me anything either when I was accepted to their law school. I was a little disappointed to say the least. I had many letters of recommendation from their professors from my undergrad and masters there.

So yeah I didn't go there for law :roll:

There were 16 of us out of approximately 150 who chose to attend the summer constitutional law program. I would say there is a disadvantage, not huge by it is definitely there. We were already exposed to real law exams and classes and had 6 credit hours under our belts while everyone else on a full load of classes was trying to figure out how to study for law exams and prepare for law classes. There is also the fact that 6 weeks worth of classes is an easy way to start your GPA off very well. Treat it very seriously and rock it hard and you'll have an edge going in for sures.

I did the program so please feel free to ask additional questions.
Last edited by robinhoodOO on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

t3hevildonut

Postby t3hevildonut » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:57 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:
evilxs wrote:My undergrad did not offer me anything either when I was accepted to their law school. I was a little disappointed to say the least. I had many letters of recommendation from their professors from my undergrad and masters there.

There were 16 of us out of approximately 150 who chose to attend the summer constitutional law program. I would say there is a disadvantage, not huge by it is definitely there. We were already exposed to real law exams and classes and had 6 credit hours under our belts while everyone else on a full load of classes was trying to figure out how to study for law exams and prepare for law classes. There is also the fact that 6 weeks worth of classes is an easy way to start your GPA off very well. Treat it very seriously and rock it hard and you'll have an edge going in for sures.

If you haven't already made your decision, I would pass on some advice given to me by multiple persons: Go to the best law school you are admitted.

Even when looking at the cost out the door, there are so many other factors to consider aside from banking on making top 3rd to keep your scholly, etc., etc. And you shouldn't letter any bitterness hold you back from Iowa. They are somewhat stingy anyway.

At the end of the day, you're comparing a 1st tier school and a dying 3rd tier school. The sticker price is going to be more than made up in job prospects just by looking at the average starting salary out of each school. Would you really want to graduate from Drake and hold any regrets about the law school you went to.

Think of it this way: What would you regret more, getting out of a GREAT law school with a mound of debt and a much better prospect of securing a good/decent job; or coming out of a not so great law school with a 33% chance of securing far less debt and having far less job opportunities.

Well this is awkward

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:15 am

t3hevildonut wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

If you haven't already made your decision, I would pass on some advice given to me by multiple persons: Go to the best law school you are admitted.

Even when looking at the cost out the door, there are so many other factors to consider aside from banking on making top 3rd to keep your scholly, etc., etc. And you shouldn't letter any bitterness hold you back from Iowa. They are somewhat stingy anyway.

At the end of the day, you're comparing a 1st tier school and a dying 3rd tier school. The sticker price is going to be more than made up in job prospects just by looking at the average starting salary out of each school. Would you really want to graduate from Drake and hold any regrets about the law school you went to.

Think of it this way: What would you regret more, getting out of a GREAT law school with a mound of debt and a much better prospect of securing a good/decent job; or coming out of a not so great law school with a 33% chance of securing far less debt and having far less job opportunities.

Well this is awkward

Quoting the wrong person is only awkward if some classless buffoon points out the error....haha, my bad though.

t3hevildonut

Postby t3hevildonut » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 am

robinhoodOO wrote:
t3hevildonut wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:

Well this is awkward

Quoting the wrong person is only awkward if some classless buffoon points out the error....haha, my bad though.

Sorry, I spaced off. I thought you were encouraging evilxs to attend Iowa over Drake, when she made her decision a year ago. It was kinda funny.

But thanks for the input everyone. I'll be visiting KU next Friday, so hopefully I'll be able to have a better idea then.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:28 pm

Pretty darn awkward, I made my decision and have 0 regrets. I love being at Drake law school.

This morning I had breakfast with Iowa Supreme Court Justices, and followed that by listening to two arguments on appeal to the supreme court (Iowa).

Getting to pick the brain of a justice for an hour is an opportunity I wouldn't have traded for anything. I have two interviews tomorrow and already have 2 offers. I think folks should be careful to criticize a school when they have no personal knowledge of it. I'm not like some crazy outlier top ten student of my class either. Law school is what you make of it and the opportunities you embrace. Visit schools and go with the best fit.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:34 pm

robinhoodOO wrote:If you haven't already made your decision, I would pass on some advice given to me by multiple persons: Go to the best law school you are admitted.

Wow, even more awkward. I hold zero bitterness for Iowa :lol: They were not my undergrad institution. I felt very honored to be chosen and given the opportunity to attend there. I have nothing but sincere heartfelt gratitude to them. I chose Drake because it was a better fit for me with all of the circumstances taken into account. I am sure I would have been very happy at Iowa as well.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:55 pm

mauer7 wrote:Hello all,

Little late joining the discussion here, I read through everything quick and agree with what most people have to say about Drake versus Iowa.

I've been accepted to both but am leaning heavily toward Drake due to a generous scholarship offer. Having a tough time getting over not going to Iowa despite being accepted, I feel like my entire focus over the last year has been set on getting accepted to Iowa law. I attended Iowa for undergrad and love Iowa City and the school, and the football...I recently moved back to Iowa from out of state and went so far as to move to Iowa City because I planned on being here this fall.

All that being said, money speaks, and Iowa offered me nothing...they didn't give me anything during undergrad either, despite graduating top 10% from their competitive business school, so maybe it is time to let my emotional attachment quit influencing me.

On Des Moines: I grew up in the Des Moines "suburbs", and I think it is a great place to be and am looking forward to likely studying there this fall. You definitely get the feeling that Des Moines is where the important activities in the state are taking place compared to the rest of the state. Ames and Iowa City have some great academic things taking place, but Des Moines is where the action is and where the money is.

In acceptance packet was included information on option to take summer courses to potentially push graduation up a semester. Does anyone have practical information on this? How many 1Ls choose to pursue this option? Are you at a disadvantage in the fall if you don't choose to follow this route? Etc...
Last edited by robinhoodOO on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

robinhoodOO

Postby robinhoodOO » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:56 pm

evilxs wrote:
robinhoodOO wrote:If you haven't already made your decision, I would pass on some advice given to me by multiple persons: Go to the best law school you are admitted.

Wow, even more awkward. I hold zero bitterness for Iowa :lol: They were not my undergrad institution. I felt very honored to be chosen and given the opportunity to attend there. I have nothing but sincere heartfelt gratitude to them. I chose Drake because it was a better fit for me with all of the circumstances taken into account. I am sure I would have been very happy at Iowa as well.
Last edited by robinhoodOO on Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Busy law student; wanted to clarify that the post quoting me was not accurate for anyone who might spot me and not realize that the post was not meant towards me.

I want it to be crystal clear online my feelings towards Iowa. I'm sure it is a great school.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:17 am

For anyone else attending the dinner tomorrow night, please feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to become your first familiar face at Drake University! 8)

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Anyone else find Drake "Admitted Student's Weekend" the most absurd farce imaginable? 5 hours worth of events spread over 48 hours? I especially appreciate the 7 hour break between the morning and evening events on Saturday with no attempt by the school to make that time worthwhile. Tonight's banquet had better be pretty damned good.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Every time I see a thread on Drake I think that my adoring fans have finally recognized my awesomeness with a thread.

:D then :? then :cry:

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Drake014 wrote:Every time I see a thread on Drake I think that my adoring fans have finally recognized my awesomeness with a thread.

:D then :? then :cry:

I don't for a moment doubt your awsomeness. I would appreciate you informing your namesake institution to pick up the pace a bit.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:54 pm

Well pace should be picking up :p Dinner in an hour and a half. As a girl that means got my nails done earlier and working on my hair and makeup now. Picked up my gown and the alterations were spot on! :P

Say hello tonight Doc ;)

t3hevildonut

Postby t3hevildonut » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:27 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:Anyone else find Drake "Admitted Student's Weekend" the most absurd farce imaginable? 5 hours worth of events spread over 48 hours? I especially appreciate the 7 hour break between the morning and evening events on Saturday with no attempt by the school to make that time worthwhile. Tonight's banquet had better be pretty damned good.

I agree, I wish I could have made the weekend, but I couldn't justify the four hour drive for the dinner. I hope it's fun for the rest of you. A post with anyone's reflections would be appreciated. :D

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:47 am

I met at least Doc and the Getupkid, maybe more and didn't know it?

Very nice to meet you guys, and I hope coming by has helped to make your decisions easier. Going to schools and finding the right fit is one of the hardest things to do.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. 8)

And getupkid, I hope Johnny's was a blast :lol: :mrgreen:

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:43 pm

evilxs wrote:
And getupkid, I hope Johnny's was a blast :lol: :mrgreen:

Johnny's is ALWAYS a blast. No hope needed.

nkra

Postby nkra » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Anyone that attended the Admitted Students Weekend care to share their thoughts on it? I'd really appreciate any input.

-Thanks

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:47 pm

nkra wrote:Anyone that attended the Admitted Students Weekend care to share their thoughts on it? I'd really appreciate any input.

-Thanks

I was there and I'd be happy to share my thoughts with you via PM if you'd like.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”