Drake 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheGetUpKid

Re: Drake 2011

Postby TheGetUpKid » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:16 pm

I attended and was more than impressed. I agree with Doc, that it was hardly a weekend full of events. (Fortunately, I have family there so I was able to hang out with them during the down time) However, the thing that stood out to me was the student quality. While sitting in on an actual Evidence class, there did not appear to be anyone in the class that wasn't "with it". And everyone had to speak, because they had a quiz that day where the teacher went around the room asking questions to everyone. I only have a couple of schools to compare it to, but I think the facilities are nice, not exceptional but definitely not bad. The Drake campus is smaller than what I'm used to, but it was nice. At the dinner, it became clear to me that the "rank" is not the end-all be-all. I talked to many students there that had employment opportunities. There are plenty of places hiring, and although it's definitely not an easy job market, students coming out of Drake have a great opportunity in Des Moines and Kansas City market. Also, the students talked highly of the clinical opportunities, saying they felt more comfortable in their summer work after having that experience. I also stopped random people in the halls (like they suggested) and asked them about what they thought and I got no negative feedback (small sample size tho, n = 3).

Overall, I would say I had a very positive experience and confirmed that I will be attending next Fall (actually starting this summer). As far as whether I woudl recommend it to others, I think it really depends on what you are looking for from a school and what you want to do afterward.

Any specific questions, PM me.

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:29 pm

It was a tough call, as I am from Iowa but I withdrew today. Best of luck to the class of 2014.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:48 pm

Hey Doc, Did you decide to attend University of Nebraska after all? It was still a pleasure to meet you and your wife and I wish you the best of luck in law school! 8)

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:52 pm

TheGetUpKid wrote:Overall, I would say I had a very positive experience and confirmed that I will be attending next Fall (actually starting this summer).

Fantastic news! I asked Sydney if she had seen you at Johnny's and she didn't. I'm glad to see you made it home safely and enjoyed your time here. Don't forget to hit me up this summer about the classes and professors you are taking. I took the summer con law series last summer and would be happy to fill you in! It looks like there will be a lot of the same classes and professors I took. 8)

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:33 pm

evilxs wrote:Hey Doc, Did you decide to attend University of Nebraska after all? It was still a pleasure to meet you and your wife and I wish you the best of luck in law school! 8)

I did. After visiting both schools, I really just felt that Nebraska was a better fit. I repsect Drake Law School and think the relationship that it has with the Iowa Supreme Court is awsome. I hope to work with many of you in the future.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”