Drake 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Gold

Drake 2011

Post by chrisbru » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:25 pm

I sent in my application this week. 2.94/171, originally from the Des Moines area. Anyone else applying to Drake this cycle?

Amir N

Bronze

Re: Drake 2011

Post by Amir N » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:44 pm

I applied a couple of weeks ago after my significant other was accepted into Des Moines University medical school, with a 3.57 and 159. I'm from Wisconsin, as well. I really liked what I saw of Des Moines. Do you know if I have any chance of receiving money from Drake?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Amir N wrote:I applied a couple of weeks ago after my significant other was accepted into Des Moines University medical school, with a 3.57 and 159. I'm from Wisconsin, as well. I really liked what I saw of Des Moines. Do you know if I have any chance of receiving money from Drake?
DMU is a good school for the medical profession. I grew up in Des Moines, and it's a great place. Not the most exciting city, but it is definitely a nice mid-size city with awesome people, cheap cost of living, and plenty to do in your free time.

As for getting money from Drake, I'm not sure what their policies are. However, they're 75th percentile LSAT is 157 (which you beat) and you beat their median GPA which is 3.41, so you should see at least some money coming your way.

Amir N

Bronze

Post by Amir N » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:32 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Amir N wrote:I applied a couple of weeks ago after my significant other was accepted into Des Moines University medical school, with a 3.57 and 159. I'm from Wisconsin, as well. I really liked what I saw of Des Moines. Do you know if I have any chance of receiving money from Drake?
DMU is a good school for the medical profession. I grew up in Des Moines, and it's a great place. Not the most exciting city, but it is definitely a nice mid-size city with awesome people, cheap cost of living, and plenty to do in your free time.

As for getting money from Drake, I'm not sure what their policies are. However, they're 75th percentile LSAT is 157 (which you beat) and you beat their median GPA which is 3.41, so you should see at least some money coming your way.

Yeah, Des Moines seemed great--it was a nice combination of small-town Americana mixed with a a nice downtown city atmosphere. I certainly hope I stand a chance at receiving a scholarship

Have you ever visited Third-Tier Reality.com? I certainly hope job prospects, even in this economy, are better than at Drake than the website indicates. I also have heard anecdotal evidence that the University of Iowa, where I also applied, trumps Drake for employment even in Des Moines.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:23 pm

Amir N wrote: Yeah, Des Moines seemed great--it was a nice combination of small-town Americana mixed with a a nice downtown city atmosphere. I certainly hope I stand a chance at receiving a scholarship

Have you ever visited Third-Tier Reality.com? I certainly hope job prospects, even in this economy, are better than at Drake than the website indicates. I also have heard anecdotal evidence that the University of Iowa, where I also applied, trumps Drake for employment even in Des Moines.
Wow, what an extremely negative website. Sounds like the author is a bitter Drake graduate who was in the bottom 10% of his class and expected life to be handed to him on a silver platter upon graduation. Not exactly what life is like, eh?

Yes, Drake is third tier. No, third tier schools are not ideal. Yes, Iowa places better, even in DSM, then Drake does. However, that doesn't mean that Drake is a bad school to go to. Growing up in Des Moines, I know a ton of lawyers who graduated from Drake, work in DSM, and make $100k+ a year. Now, these aren't Biglaw positions, and they aren't lucrative salaries... But do you realize how much money $100k a year is in IOWA? You can buy a 4 bed, 3 bathroom, 2800 sq ft house with a nice yard in a gated community for $300k. So, really, you'll be fine at Drake if you don't mind staying in Iowa, and you commit to doing well in school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Amir N

Bronze

Post by Amir N » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:49 pm

Just received this e-mail: "Your application for admission to Drake Law School is complete and your file will be submitted to the Admission Committee for review. Complete files are reviewed and decisions are made on a rolling basis. Please keep in mind, the Admission Committee begins meeting on a weekly basis starting in mid-January."

Here is to hoping they can get to the files before mid-January... :D

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:46 pm

Amir N wrote:Just received this e-mail: "Your application for admission to Drake Law School is complete and your file will be submitted to the Admission Committee for review. Complete files are reviewed and decisions are made on a rolling basis. Please keep in mind, the Admission Committee begins meeting on a weekly basis starting in mid-January."

Here is to hoping they can get to the files before mid-January... :D

I thought that was odd too... Although mine said a decision should be made in 4-6 weeks, and then said the thing about starting mid-January. To be honest, if I don't get a decision until mid-January, they'll probably be too late to change my mind since every other school will have already accepted or denied me.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:43 am

I applied on 11/1 and still haven't heard. I'm a little disappointed. You'd think 3rd tier schools would make their decisions faster than T1's.

ArmyHawkeye

New

Post by ArmyHawkeye » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:45 am

I made the same assumption. I thought for sure Drake would be one of the first to get back to me. Mid-January seems awfully late to begin the process.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:27 pm

ArmyHawkeye wrote:I made the same assumption. I thought for sure Drake would be one of the first to get back to me. Mid-January seems awfully late to begin the process.

I completely agree. I had another tier 3 accept me earlier this week with a full-ride... Sorry Drake, I may withdraw before your "application committee" even starts to meet...

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:38 pm

Any questions?

I currently go to Drake. I chose it after being accepted to both Iowa and Drake.

The job placement in Des Moines is a myth. Both schools place equally well here. It is one of those rare local schools that trumps its local market. There are far too many judges and prominent lawyers in town from Drake. The network and number of jobs available is amazing. Drake had me shaking hands with the local judges, firms, and the Iowa supreme court justices all in the first semester.

Leave 100 miles from Des Moines and the degree becomes worth a lot less in a hurry. Leave the state and be prepared to answer why you chose to go there.

I'm happy to talk to anyone about my choice to go here and help you with an unbiased opinion. I moved here to go to Drake so I know how hard of a choice this can be.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:19 pm

evilxs wrote:Any questions?

I currently go to Drake. I chose it after being accepted to both Iowa and Drake.

The job placement in Des Moines is a myth. Both schools place equally well here. It is one of those rare local schools that trumps its local market. There are far too many judges and prominent lawyers in town from Drake. The network and number of jobs available is amazing. Drake had me shaking hands with the local judges, firms, and the Iowa supreme court justices all in the first semester.

Leave 100 miles from Des Moines and the degree becomes worth a lot less in a hurry. Leave the state and be prepared to answer why you chose to go there.

I'm happy to talk to anyone about my choice to go here and help you with an unbiased opinion. I moved here to go to Drake so I know how hard of a choice this can be.

Why did you decide to go Drake over Iowa? I've been accepted to Iowa, but it sounds like we'll be waiting for a while until we hear from Drake. Also, how generous are they with scholarships?

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:36 pm

If you apply early, as with all law schools, there is more funds available for them to offer. They do take a really long time to get back to folks, but it was worth the wait in my case.

I chose to go because I am going to stay in Des Moines Iowa permanently to practice and they dominate this town. 2nd reason is $$$$$, 3rd because I plan on practicing law, not teaching. Iowa is a more theoretical school than Drake. Drake will better prepare you for litigating.

I visited both and it is important to do that.

I pm'd you as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ArmyHawkeye

New

Post by ArmyHawkeye » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:04 am

In via email. The email said I should have received an admission package and scholarship info, but I'm overseas so it hasn't gotten here yet. Good luck to those still waiting!!!

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:00 am

Congrats, where are you stationed?

ArmyHawkeye

New

Post by ArmyHawkeye » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08 am

Balad, Iraq. Hope to get that packet soon! I was very impressed with Drake when I visited.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:49 am

Playing in the sand pit, when are you coming home? We have a really neat event in April. It is a Supreme court dinner with the Iowa justices, and students admitted to Drake law are always invited. I went last year and had a lot of fun. It is a snazzy dress up thing, but great way to meet law students, professors, judges, and area law firms.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ArmyHawkeye

New

Post by ArmyHawkeye » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:01 am

Received acceptance packet from Drake today, postmarked 8 December. Big blue folder with lots of good info and a nice scholarship!

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:16 am

Drake doesn't have an online status checker that I'm aware of. Is that correct? I applied on 10/30 and am still waiting to hear anything.

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:17 am

ArmyHawkeye wrote:Received acceptance packet from Drake today, postmarked 8 December. Big blue folder with lots of good info and a nice scholarship!
PS - congratulations. Where else are you in?

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:32 am

Not that I know of, but I can check and see. I had to wait for my envelope to come. Really glad to hear packets are coming out and congrats!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:06 pm

No status checker, unfortunately.

Evilxs - When did you submit?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:33 pm

Well, it appears I'm in? I haven't received an admissions packet, but I received this email just now:

"Dear Chrisbru,

Congratulations on your admission to law school. Your success in this year's competitive market is a credit to your accomplishments. Because much of your legal education will involve the library and its resources, we would like to outline some of what we have to offer. Drake University Law Library provides one of the most attractive research and study environments anywhere, with a staff that is second to none. Patron surveys consistently rate the library staff and it's services as outstanding. Five design awards reinforce the impression first conveyed when visiting the Dwight D. Opperman Hall and Law Library. Opperman Hall's outstanding architecture has earned national and international acclaim and been featured on the covers of several architectural journals. You will want to visit the Drake Law School in person or from the Admissions page take an Online Campus Tour at http://www.law.drake.edu/admissions/?pa ... ampusTours.

Drake's Law Library was ranked as one of the top 25 in the country by the National Jurist. That ranking was based on the magazine's assessment of collection, facility and staff resources. Students easily find inviting places to study with more than 700 seats available in a variety of settings. In addition to table seating, students may choose from carrels, small study rooms, group study rooms, conference rooms and lounge areas. The library's computer labs and additional workstations provide ready access to the Internet and a wide variety of other computer resources. Students with laptop computers also can access the library's electronic resources using the wireless network or from one of the hundreds of Ethernet connections throughout the library. Drake's innovative technology resulted in a top 20 ranking on National Jurist's Technology Honor Roll, up 22 spots from an earlier ranking as one of the country's "Most Wired Law Schools."

Training in using research tools and technology is introduced in Drake's highly-regarded Legal Research and Writing program. Small groups meet weekly in the Opperman Computer Classrooms to learn the key skills a lawyer needs: research, analysis and writing. As a result of this comprehensive program, Drake students perform exceptionally well in law firm and other legal positions after their first year of classes. The skills Drake students learn often give them a competitive advantage over students from schools with less intensive research and writing programs. Drake students learn to use the myriad tools available in the law library -- from books to computer assisted legal research to the Internet.

The library is often described as the laboratory of the law student. Drake students spend many hours in Opperman Hall each day using its resources. The physical environment is very conducive to study and research and the staff is exceptionally dedicated to meeting student needs. Libraries and other researchers throughout the country recognize the strength of Drake's collection by making hundreds of requests each year for materials available in Opperman Hall. We hope you will take the opportunity to visit the law library and learn why its resources, especially the faculty and staff, are considered the great strengths. For more details, see http://www.law.drake.edu/library/.

Sincerely,

John D. Edwards
Associate Dean for Information Resources and Technology
Executive Director of Legal Research and Writing"

DocHawkeye

Silver

Post by DocHawkeye » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:Well, it appears I'm in? I haven't received an admissions packet, but I received this email just now:

"Dear Chrisbru,

Congratulations on your admission to law school. Your success in this year's competitive market is a credit to your accomplishments. Because much of your legal education will involve the library and its resources, we would like to outline some of what we have to offer. Drake University Law Library provides one of the most attractive research and study environments anywhere, with a staff that is second to none. Patron surveys consistently rate the library staff and it's services as outstanding. Five design awards reinforce the impression first conveyed when visiting the Dwight D. Opperman Hall and Law Library. Opperman Hall's outstanding architecture has earned national and international acclaim and been featured on the covers of several architectural journals. You will want to visit the Drake Law School in person or from the Admissions page take an Online Campus Tour at http://www.law.drake.edu/admissions/?pa ... ampusTours...

...Sincerely,

John D. Edwards
Associate Dean for Information Resources and Technology
Executive Director of Legal Research and Writing"
I got the same email. Congratulations to us...?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:41 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:
I got the same email. Congratulations to us...?

Haha I guess so? I'm confused now. Maybe our packets are just delayed?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”