UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jck4487

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby jck4487 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:17 pm

In via phone call today as well.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:26 pm

Congrats to all the new admits!!! Feel free to ask questions if you have them. It looks like there are two of us on here who can answer them. Hope to meet most if not all of you in the fall :-D

deadpoetnsp

Postby deadpoetnsp » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:23 am

Thanks, uci2013!

How open are the adcoms to scholarship negotiation? In case of other schools, one has a clear idea of what will be regarded as 'peer schools' for the purpose of negotiating offers. But in UCI's case, which schools should be discussed?

How high are rents/living expenses in the area?

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:32 am

deadpoetnsp wrote:Thanks, uci2013!

How open are the adcoms to scholarship negotiation? In case of other schools, one has a clear idea of what will be regarded as 'peer schools' for the purpose of negotiating offers. But in UCI's case, which schools should be discussed?

I am really not sure how the adcoms handles scholarship negotiations. But I would encourage you to talk to the Director of Admissions if that is an important factor to your decision. A lot will depend on how much they raised in funds in addition to the 1/3 scholarship. I suspect they take a more holistic approach to giving out additional money rather than basing it strictly on numbers, but I could be wrong, especially since we have a new Director of Admissions from last year. But UCI really values a diverse student body (that doesn't just mean race or ethnicity, but also experiences) and will probably factor merit, need and softs into a consideration as to whether to give more money. Note - I do not work for the adcomm office and I don't have any first hand knowledge of how they give out additional money - this is merely conjecture on my part. But anyway if I were you I would ask - if you don't ask you will never know and if you ask in a humble manner they won't hold it against you for asking.

Rent depends A LOT on whether you get student housing, and then where you get assigned. The housing process last year was the most frustrating part of an otherwise great experience. If you get into Verano Place, the least expensive housing units, you will be super close to the law school (5-10 minute walk) but won't have much in the way of amenities: no dishwasher, no A/C, no W/D in unit. Rents will be $500-600 a person including ALL utilities except for landline phone which I don't even have (less if you go for a three bedroom and share with 2 others). Palo Verde is 2nd least expensive, a little newer than Verano Place, but you pay for electricity and rent is about $100-200 a month more than Verano Place. It's an additional 5 minute walk or so than VP. Next are the private "subsidized" apartments. These are all furnished, which VP is not. Puerta Del Sol is the newest and is 5 minutes from the school. Apartments are nice but small. They have a dishwasher and A/C. No W/D in unit. And parking is about 10 minutes away (seriously). The rent will be $900-$1100 a person, depending on if you share or get your own unit - not sure about utilities there. Then there are two other apartments - Vista Del Norte and Vista Del Campo - these are farthest from the law school, about a 20 minute walk, but there is a shuttle. These also have the most in terms of amenities including a W/D in the unit and are also furnished. I am not certain of pricing but I believe it is $100-200 less than Puerta Del Sol and there are UGs in the complex, where the other options are for grad schools or UGs with families only. None of the student housing allow pets at this time.

If you life off campus - one bedrooms are around $1400-$1500 a month. Two bedrooms can be had for $1800 a month or so.

What made the housing process frustrating is they assigned almost everyone who wanted PV or VP to the more expensive housing. You could reject the offer and get on a waiting list for PV and VP, but they made it sound like your odds were slim. But I decided to take a chance and wait it out - most did not because they were afraid of losing out on student housing period. It ended up being worth the wait, but was very frustrating at the time. I did eventually get placed in Verano Place. So my advice is to ride out the waiting list if rent is an important issue to you. The apartment is small and lacks amenities, but is less than 10 minutes to class and is well designed for its size. And the rent can't be beat for Irvine. Also, from what I heard, if you requested an earlier move-in date (June or July) you were more likely to get placed into VP or PV.

Hope this helps and isn't overly long-winded.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:27 am

What would you recommend for marrieds with kids housing-wise?

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

uci2013 wrote:
deadpoetnsp wrote:Thanks, uci2013!

I am really not sure how the adcoms handles scholarship negotiations. But I would encourage you to talk to the Director of Admissions if that is an important factor to your decision. A lot will depend on how much they raised in funds in addition to the 1/3 scholarship. I suspect they take a more holistic approach to giving out additional money rather than basing it strictly on numbers, but I could be wrong, especially since we have a new Director of Admissions from last year. But UCI really values a diverse student body (that doesn't just mean race or ethnicity, but also experiences) and will probably factor merit, need and softs into a consideration as to whether to give more money. Note - I do not work for the adcomm office and I don't have any first hand knowledge of how they give out additional money - this is merely conjecture on my part. But anyway if I were you I would ask - if you don't ask you will never know and if you ask in a humble manner they won't hold it against you for asking.

So you would suggest talking directly to the Director of Admissions? Cost is a HUGE factor of where I ultimately decide to go (although UCI is my first choice), so if I could get a bit more money it would make the decision much easier for me. I'm currently a UCI undergrad, and was wondering if I should talk to her in person or use email/phone... Thanks for your help!

thelibear

Postby thelibear » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:50 pm

congratulations you guys!! I'm so jealous, I really want to get in. concroyc, we have similar numbers -- same lsat but my gpa is slightly lower, so you just gave me hope that I might make it in. I submitted 12/11 (I don't know why I waited so long for uci, argh), so I'm going to cross my fingers permanently until I hear from them.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:33 pm

sanguar wrote:What would you recommend for marrieds with kids housing-wise?

If you are married with kids you will be given priority to Verano Place or Palo Verde. I highly recommend Verano Place for kids - I am in plan H which is awesome for families with kids (it's a two bedroom townhouse unit) - there are other townhouse units with more square footage and if you have more than one child they do have three bedrooms. Three bedrooms either go to parents with more than one child or to students sharing a three bedroom. Verano Place has day care facilities on site (no idea on cost and there may be a wait list - inquire now, maybe it's possible to be on the waitlist for childcare before being placed in housing or even accepting admission - it wouldn't hurt to check). Also there are grassy areas around the townhouses where kids play all the time. Lots of grad students with kids hang out with their children outside in the afternoons. It really makes me wish I had kids before coming to law school and that my kids were around 2-4 years old - they would have so many playmates!!

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:40 pm

uci2013 wrote:

If you are married with kids you will be given priority to Verano Place or Palo Verde. I highly recommend Verano Place for kids - I am in plan H which is awesome for families with kids (it's a two bedroom townhouse unit) - there are other townhouse units with more square footage and if you have more than one child they do have three bedrooms. Three bedrooms either go to parents with more than one child or to students sharing a three bedroom. Verano Place has day care facilities on site (no idea on cost and there may be a wait list - inquire now, maybe it's possible to be on the waitlist for childcare before being placed in housing or even accepting admission - it wouldn't hurt to check). Also there are grassy areas around the townhouses where kids play all the time. Lots of grad students with kids hang out with their children outside in the afternoons. It really makes me wish I had kids before coming to law school and that my kids were around 2-4 years old - they would have so many playmates!!

Awesome, thanks! Mine are 1 and 2.

I'm guessing no pets, eh?

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:51 pm

sanguar wrote:
uci2013 wrote:

Awesome, thanks! Mine are 1 and 2.

I'm guessing no pets, eh?

Sadly no. They used to allow cats but no more for incoming students. :-(

ViP

Postby ViP » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:40 pm

"The University of California, Irvine School of Law is back to its old ways — luring high-profile professors from other schools.

The 2-year-old law school with big educational ambitions is bringing on Robert Solomon, director of clinical studies at Yale Law School; and Katherine Porter, a faculty member at the University of Iowa College of Law who is teaching at Harvard Law School. She is an expert in bankruptcy and consumer credit.

Solomon's addition is a particular coup. He has taught at Yale since 1985 and oversees its large and successful network of legal clinics.

'I was totally overwhelmed by the notion that all these talented people have banded together to take a leap of faith to try to change the future of legal education,' he said."

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1202477961836&UC_Irvine_reaches_into_the_Ivy_League_for_new_hires&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:23 pm

This place sounds better and better all the time.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:19 pm

sanguar wrote:This place sounds better and better all the time.

+1

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Just noticed this and it's killing me. The front page on the law school's website, down in the bottom-left corner, displays the local weather. I'm sitting here in northwest Ohio right now. Oh Irvine, do let me in!

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:40 pm

sanguar wrote:Just noticed this and it's killing me. The front page on the law school's website, down in the bottom-left corner, displays the local weather. I'm sitting here in northwest Ohio right now. Oh Irvine, do let me in!

Hahah oh no... That sounds awful!! Good luck though! The weather here right now is really beautiful... I'm contemplating going to the beach later today lol

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:11 pm

Rub it in. And have fun at the beach.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:05 pm

What exactly is the stipulation to maintain the automatic 1/3 scholarship that they give to all accepted applicants? I can't remember what was said on the phone... Thanks!

NorCalBruin

Postby NorCalBruin » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:08 pm

On my LSAC is says that I sitll need to purchase I report, but I don't see where to do this... anyone else have this problem?? Am I functionally retarded?

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:19 am

conroyc wrote:What exactly is the stipulation to maintain the automatic 1/3 scholarship that they give to all accepted applicants? I can't remember what was said on the phone... Thanks!

For our class the stipulation is to maintain good academic standing. Not sure just what GPA that is but it is a very low pressure stipulation. I presume your class has the same requirement.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:09 am

FYI - we had a "Coffee with the Dean" this afternoon. I asked for a little more detail on how the 2L job search was going. I believe he said about 47 of the 60ish 2Ls already have offers. Most of those wanting firm jobs got them, but some did not. Some of those without offers are wanting positions that aren't filled until the spring. He also said the number of offers extended to UCI students from big firms was impressive in their willingness to extend offers to UCI students. However, some students received 4 or 5 offers and a few did not receive any. But overall his main point was that students who wanted firm jobs were largely, though not completely, successful in obtaining them. He also said he would obtain a current list of where students have received offers so far to share.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:16 am

uci2013 wrote:FYI - we had a "Coffee with the Dean" this afternoon. I asked for a little more detail on how the 2L job search was going. I believe he said about 47 of the 60ish 2Ls already have offers. Most of those wanting firm jobs got them, but some did not. Some of those without offers are wanting positions that aren't filled until the spring. He also said the number of offers extended to UCI students from big firms was impressive in their willingness to extend offers to UCI students. However, some students received 4 or 5 offers and a few did not receive any. But overall his main point was that students who wanted firm jobs were largely, though not completely, successful in obtaining them. He also said he would obtain a current list of where students have received offers so far to share.

Thanks for your updates!

berkeleygrad09

Postby berkeleygrad09 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:09 pm

I haven't received my admissions packet yet. Has anyone gotten theirs yet?

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:09 pm

berkeleygrad09 wrote:I haven't received my admissions packet yet. Has anyone gotten theirs yet?

Nope, still waiting...

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:51 pm

berkeleygrad09 wrote:I haven't received my admissions packet yet. Has anyone gotten theirs yet?

Still waiting as well. Super excited... can't wait... I think I might go see the school this next Friday just because I can't wait--road trip!!

ViP

Postby ViP » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:26 pm

"Most of the students from University of California, Irvine School of Law’s inaugural class are set to go to work as summer associates at law firms here and throughout the country in hopes of sealing permanent positions once they graduate."

"The event yielded an impressive rate of job offers, with 32 of 42 participants—about two thirds of the class—nabbing summer positions ranging from spots at national firms to boutique practices."

http://www.ocbj.com/news/2011/jan/23/break-downturn-uci-laws-inaugural-class/

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”