UC Irvine 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jackwhiteiii

New

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Post by jackwhiteiii » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:29 pm

Yes, UCI is VERY close to the ocean, which seems to make all the difference. 4 years at USC with no A/C was death, but UCI has perfect climate. I personally live 2 blocks to the beach and work at a law firm in Newport Beach literally across the street from UCI on campus drive, and the A/C is never on.

Maybe I'm just used to the weather, but it really beats Ithaca, NYC, South Bend, and honestly most schools locations I'd be considering.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:38 am

does anyone know if we can schedule a student-lead personal tour?

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:23 pm

gothamm wrote:does anyone know if we can schedule a student-lead personal tour?
Probably, yeah. Estuardo did mine, but he said he had a meeting set up with a student later in the aternoon. I ended up going to disneyland instead... woops!

thegreatk

Bronze

Post by thegreatk » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:28 pm

jck4487 wrote:
Probably, yeah. Estuardo did mine, but he said he had a meeting set up with a student later in the aternoon. I ended up going to disneyland instead... woops! Score!
FTFY.

By the way, I talked to someone at Vista Del Campo regarding housing information. I was told he believes that the only place which has one bedrooms left is Puerta Del Sol. I applied there and VDC last week, I was told I would hear back within the next week or two.

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:20 am

thegreatk wrote:
jck4487 wrote:
Probably, yeah. Estuardo did mine, but he said he had a meeting set up with a student later in the aternoon. I ended up going to disneyland instead... woops! Score!
FTFY.

By the way, I talked to someone at Vista Del Campo regarding housing information. I was told he believes that the only place which has one bedrooms left is Puerta Del Sol. I applied there and VDC last week, I was told I would hear back within the next week or two.
Haha, thanks. Honestly Disneyland wasn't as cool as I remembered it from when I was 7. Damn adulthood - kills you imagination.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks for the help guys..

I will be visiting Irvine for the 2nd time on friday on a campus tour. I will also be meeting some of the admissions staff. As a waitlisted applicant, do you have any advice for my tour? How do I communicate to the Adcomms that I am ridiculously interested in their school???

jackwhiteiii

New

Post by jackwhiteiii » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:15 pm

It looks like as of 3 hours ago, they are officially accepting transfer students for fall. Maybe I read too much into things as another waitlisted student, but isn't this a bit late? This, along with offering increased scholarships to already admitted students makes me believe that they are really trying to avoid the waitlist to bolster their high median numbers.

lfp

Bronze

Post by lfp » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:30 pm

Am I the only one reading the articles in the UCI Law Review right now? Because I'm learning a hell of a lot about why Chemerinsky and Irvine are amazing... Also, I'm learning that I don't spend nearly enough time doing my actual job.

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:02 pm

jackwhiteiii wrote:It looks like as of 3 hours ago, they are officially accepting transfer students for fall. Maybe I read too much into things as another waitlisted student, but isn't this a bit late? This, along with offering increased scholarships to already admitted students makes me believe that they are really trying to avoid the waitlist to bolster their high median numbers.
I am fairly certain that the transfer students will have zero impact on the waitlist movement. They don't do anything to bolster or harm numbers to my knowledge and they, to my knowledge, are not eligible for the same scholarships. They accepted transfer students last year as well. I heard today that 89 SIRs have been submitted FWIW.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thegreatk

Bronze

Post by thegreatk » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:32 pm

uci2013 wrote:
jackwhiteiii wrote:It looks like as of 3 hours ago, they are officially accepting transfer students for fall. Maybe I read too much into things as another waitlisted student, but isn't this a bit late? This, along with offering increased scholarships to already admitted students makes me believe that they are really trying to avoid the waitlist to bolster their high median numbers.
I am fairly certain that the transfer students will have zero impact on the waitlist movement. They don't do anything to bolster or harm numbers to my knowledge and they, to my knowledge, are not eligible for the same scholarships. They accepted transfer students last year as well. I heard today that 89 SIRs have been submitted FWIW.
Only 89, eh? Assuming a few won't come, since it's a free registry, that would make the class a little smaller than expected, would it not? (not that that's a bad thing)

*Edit: Forgot about the waitlist. This is good news for waitlisters!

jackwhiteiii

New

Post by jackwhiteiii » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:13 pm

That is very good news! Thanks so much for the information, it really gives me hope !

ensign85

Bronze

Post by ensign85 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:06 pm

How was your visit? Did you gather any information regarding the waitlist?

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:25 pm

Last I heard from Dean C was 89 students have submitted SIRs and a few asked for extensions to do so. They don't plan on exceeding 100 students. So it doesn't look like there will be many offered spots from the waitlist based on that. I know some of the waitlists I was on last year (not UCI) were waiting until after the 2nd deposits were due at most schools before they made many offers off the waitlist - they wanted a better idea of class composition before extending offers. I suppose it is possible Irvine is taking that approach. It wouldn't hurt to send Dean Austin an email expressing continued interest and asking if she anticipates making offers off the waitlist. You could call and ask as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snichols16

Bronze

Post by snichols16 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:15 pm

uci2013 wrote:
jackwhiteiii wrote:
Last I heard from Dean C was 89 students have submitted SIRs and a few asked for extensions to do so. They don't plan on exceeding 100 students.
Talked to Dean C today via email. He said the same things to me.

jackwhiteiii

New

Post by jackwhiteiii » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:09 pm

I'm sure as the summer melt occurs, several people will withdraw their applications for schools they feel are more prestigious or suiting to their situation.

As for not exceeding 100 students, I'm somewhat worried about this as a waitlisted hopeful, but am keeping in mind that the 2nd year class of 93 was originally supposed to be limited to 80.

A boy can dream, right ?

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:06 am

Jack I am a (very) hopeful waitlister as well. From what I understand they have decided to not take *any* stat hit - I have a feeling they are going to confine the class any way they need to keep their stats.

pimpsdontcry

Bronze

Post by pimpsdontcry » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:55 am

anyone get housing offers yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:38 am

pimpsdontcry wrote:anyone get housing offers yet?
Yep, I have. VdC Norte. I'm excited about it.

lfp

Bronze

Post by lfp » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:21 pm

jackwhiteiii wrote:I'm sure as the summer melt occurs, several people will withdraw their applications for schools they feel are more prestigious or suiting to their situation.

As for not exceeding 100 students, I'm somewhat worried about this as a waitlisted hopeful, but am keeping in mind that the 2nd year class of 93 was originally supposed to be limited to 80.

A boy can dream, right ?
Jack - at ASD, I think they said the second class has 83 students, not 93. The idea is that the class goes up roughly 20 students a year, with the first class being 60, the second around 80, and then the third between 90-100.

Also, jck - I'll come hang out with you in VdCNorte, but I'm signing a lease in Newport!

pimpsdontcry

Bronze

Post by pimpsdontcry » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:19 pm

jck4487 wrote:
Might I ask when you applied?

Also, according to Dean C, about 89 have accepted so far as of last week. :)

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:09 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:
jck4487 wrote:

I honestly don't remember - about 2 months ago, I think.

@lfp - Yay, Newport haha. Is it close to the beach??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lfp

Bronze

Post by lfp » Sun May 01, 2011 5:57 pm

jck4487 wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:
jck4487 wrote:

I think it's barely considered Newport - it's only 5 minutes from the law school, but Newport nonetheless (about 2-3 miles from the ocean)! Though you can expect me to be studying on the beach as much as possible.

jck4487

Bronze

Post by jck4487 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:51 pm

lfp wrote:
jck4487 wrote:
pimpsdontcry wrote:
jck4487 wrote:

I think it's barely considered Newport - it's only 5 minutes from the law school, but Newport nonetheless (about 2-3 miles from the ocean)! Though you can expect me to be studying on the beach as much as possible.
+1

dtl

Bronze

Post by dtl » Tue May 03, 2011 11:27 am

Sent my second and final desperate LOCI to Irvine today over nighted. Supposedly they are going to start deciding the 15ish seats they are giving out to waitlisters.

Fellow waitlisters speak up if you get in!

uci2013

Bronze

Post by uci2013 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:23 pm

Good luck to the WL'ers!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”