UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mybrain
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby mybrain » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:31 pm

snichols16 wrote:
mybrain wrote:
snichols16 wrote:Did anyone else just get their scholly increased?

here!
increased to 40% from 1/3. Everyone got the same increase?


This has me worried. Why did they increase scholarships? Is their yield of qualified applications going to be lower than expected?

Possible. They want to maintain the similar stats this year with last year. If the pool of qualified applicants are smaller, then they may accept less than 100 students this year and redistribute funding.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:36 pm

mybrain wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
mybrain wrote:
snichols16 wrote:Did anyone else just get their scholly increased?

here!
increased to 40% from 1/3. Everyone got the same increase?


This has me worried. Why did they increase scholarships? Is their yield of qualified applications going to be lower than expected?

Possible. They want to maintain the similar stats this year with last year. If the pool of qualified applicants are smaller, then they may accept less than 100 students this year and redistribute funding.


Probably something like that. Pass more money out to those of us who are either "in" or are still debating rather than admit more people with lower numbers. This bump from 1/2 to 3/4 is going to make turning them down really, really tough.

bezoar
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:37 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby bezoar » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:38 pm

maybe i should be worried. but i have to admit that i'm not going to question money raining down. i already loved irvine and felt like my decision was made about an hour into admitted students day. :shock: :o :D :shock: :D

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby gothamm » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:40 pm

You guys can't be serious...maybe they should take money away from you which shows increased selectivity :roll:

User avatar
conroyc
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby conroyc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:15 pm

How were you all notified of the scholarship increase? It might change my decision to have an increase from the 1/3! PLEASE UCI! :)

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:21 pm

conroyc wrote:How were you all notified of the scholarship increase? It might change my decision to have an increase from the 1/3! PLEASE UCI! :)


Email

lfp
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby lfp » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:33 pm

snichols16 wrote:
conroyc wrote:How were you all notified of the scholarship increase? It might change my decision to have an increase from the 1/3! PLEASE UCI! :)


Email


Was it from Admissions or Fin Aid?

hijodehombre
Posts: 251
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:29 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby hijodehombre » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:39 pm

dtl wrote:LOCI time! Anyone else waitlisted and vying for a spot?



+ 1, but wondering how the recent developments with respect to scholarships affect my chances for a spot

mybrain
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby mybrain » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:44 pm

lfp wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
conroyc wrote:How were you all notified of the scholarship increase? It might change my decision to have an increase from the 1/3! PLEASE UCI! :)


Email


Was it from Admissions or Fin Aid?

from admissions office

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:50 pm

hijodehombre wrote:
dtl wrote:LOCI time! Anyone else waitlisted and vying for a spot?



+ 1, but wondering how the recent developments with respect to scholarships affect my chances for a spot


I've been thinking about this a lot -- "why more money to those of us who are already admitted?"

1. They received more donations
2. Their yield isn't quite as high, they want to keep their median #s high, so rather than admitting more, they are redistributing funds to those already in.

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby lawandi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:57 pm

They increased my scholly to 50%!!! Irvine it is!!!! (Unless UCLA or USC come through) I'm sooo excited though.

I emailed Dean Austin asking for a merit scholarship reconsideration last month. I thought that's why she gave me one. Surprised that others who didn't ask got a raise too! But that shows that they are MORE selective, not less, because they have the funding to keep their entering class top notch. This has given me so much more faith in UCI.

:)

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:03 pm

lawandi wrote:
they are MORE selective, not less, because they have the funding to keep their entering class top notch.

:)


I would, again, caution this logic. It can cut both ways. Dean C said at ASD that the medians for this class will be the same as for the last couple classes, which eats away at my original theory. Extra money is good news, nonetheless.

jck4487
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 am

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby jck4487 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:54 pm

snichols16 wrote:
lawandi wrote:
they are MORE selective, not less, because they have the funding to keep their entering class top notch.

:)


I would, again, caution this logic. It can cut both ways. Dean C said at ASD that the medians for this class will be the same as for the last couple classes, which eats away at my original theory. Extra money is good news, nonetheless.


I think it's a given that it's to attract more qualified students, but I don't think it necessarily has any positive or negative significance. Lots of people in the incoming class had offers with money from top 20 schools. Of course Irvine wants to compete with them. It's just keeping pace.

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby lawandi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:59 pm

snichols16 wrote:
lawandi wrote:
they are MORE selective, not less, because they have the funding to keep their entering class top notch.

:)


I would, again, caution this logic. It can cut both ways. Dean C said at ASD that the medians for this class will be the same as for the last couple classes, which eats away at my original theory. Extra money is good news, nonetheless.


Dean C said he wanted 120 students for our class, but someone else (I forget who) said they accepted about 100 students and waitlisted about the same amount. They're fighting for these 100 to submit SIRs on 4/15, it seems, because they'll do whatever is necessary to keep their yeild high and candidates high-quality.

What other way can you cut it?

Oh, and JCK I completely agree with you. And now, thankfully, they've matched my awesome offer from WUSTL.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:09 pm

lawandi wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
lawandi wrote:
they are MORE selective, not less, because they have the funding to keep their entering class top notch.

:)


I would, again, caution this logic. It can cut both ways. Dean C said at ASD that the medians for this class will be the same as for the last couple classes, which eats away at my original theory. Extra money is good news, nonetheless.


Dean C said he wanted 120 students for our class, but someone else (I forget who) said they accepted about 100 students and waitlisted about the same amount. They're fighting for these 100 to submit SIRs on 4/15, it seems, because they'll do whatever is necessary to keep their yeild high and candidates high-quality.

What other way can you cut it?

Oh, and JCK I completely agree with you. And now, thankfully, they've matched my awesome offer from WUSTL.


I heard him say at ASD that he wanted our class to be 100. Doesn't really matter.

User avatar
ensign85
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:00 am

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby ensign85 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Hm, so it sounds like they'll be tapping into their waitlist.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:19 pm

ensign85 wrote:Hm, so it sounds like they'll be tapping into their waitlist.


We're all free to read into it what we want. Evidence points to several possible scenarios. I think for my above stated reasons they won't be tapping it.

dtl
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 am

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby dtl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:32 pm

Yeah I am unsure how this would suggest them tapping their waitlist? It sounds like they are doing a job at keeping those admitted interested with money instead of leaning on their waitlist.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:32 pm

dtl wrote:Yeah I am unsure how this would suggest them tapping their waitlist? It sounds like they are doing a job at keeping those admitted interested with money instead of leaning on their waitlist.


This was the logic I was following.

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby lawandi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:37 pm

snichols16 wrote:
lawandi wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
lawandi wrote:
they are MORE selective, not less, because they have the funding to keep their entering class top notch.

:)


I would, again, caution this logic. It can cut both ways. Dean C said at ASD that the medians for this class will be the same as for the last couple classes, which eats away at my original theory. Extra money is good news, nonetheless.


Dean C said he wanted 120 students for our class, but someone else (I forget who) said they accepted about 100 students and waitlisted about the same amount. They're fighting for these 100 to submit SIRs on 4/15, it seems, because they'll do whatever is necessary to keep their yeild high and candidates high-quality.

What other way can you cut it?

Oh, and JCK I completely agree with you. And now, thankfully, they've matched my awesome offer from WUSTL.


I heard him say at ASD that he wanted our class to be 100. Doesn't really matter.


Oops, sorry. I guess he said 120 for next year.

jck4487
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 am

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby jck4487 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:19 pm

I bet the waitlist is pretty good. My buddy who was waitlisted had numbers that are just slightly below mine. I don't think, knowing the culture at UC Irvine, that they'd waitlist anyone they wouldn't accept. Sure, maybe not the entire wait list would make the class numbers wise, but I think everyone on the waitlist is probably amazing.

ucilawinsider
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby ucilawinsider » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:17 am

Do not go to UCI.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:22 am

ucilawinsider wrote:Do not go to UCI.


Brilliant response.

mybrain
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby mybrain » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:24 am

ucilawinsider wrote:Do not go to UCI.

why is that?

ucilawinsider
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby ucilawinsider » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:40 am

Schedules just came out today and many people are unhappy. There is talk that people will not be able to take courses they need/want.

There are other considerations but this might be one most relevant to you.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”