UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
red_alertz

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby red_alertz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:25 pm

thegreatk wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
thegreatk wrote:I see what you're saying. And I was just implying that since undergraduate gpa matters and institution doesn't, logic would imply the same standard would apply to graduate school. But I understand why it doesn't.

Tomorrow is my birthday. If your prediction is correct, I'm sending you a bottle of booze. A really nice one. Irvine is by far my #1 choice.

Think positive -- gotta remain positive in this game. I'm sure you'll get in.

I'm still in disbelief that I get to post this right now.....but I just got the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best birthday present ever. snichols16, I don't know if you are some kind of magical TLS wizard, but I thank you for your kind words and apparently earth-moving karmic presence. Technically your prediction is a few hours early, but I'll make an exception to our contract out of good faith. PM me your address and preference :D

Red_alertz, I assume you prayed for me when I asked for it a few weeks ago, so I'll buy you a round or two after you get accepted.

Good luck to all who are waiting!

hey congratulations, happy for ya but tons of jealousy now, oh well, hope your two rounds of drinks will be there for me

nelaw2010

Postby nelaw2010 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:22 am

Can anyone give me details on ASD? Is it on March 24th? What time does it start?

Thanks!

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:57 am

nelaw2010 wrote:Can anyone give me details on ASD? Is it on March 24th? What time does it start?

Thanks!

It's actually on March 31 (Thursday). They provide $100 in-state travel/lodging stipend and $300 out-of-state stipend. Super excited!

lfp

Postby lfp » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:34 am

thegreatk wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
thegreatk wrote:I see what you're saying. And I was just implying that since undergraduate gpa matters and institution doesn't, logic would imply the same standard would apply to graduate school. But I understand why it doesn't.

Tomorrow is my birthday. If your prediction is correct, I'm sending you a bottle of booze. A really nice one. Irvine is by far my #1 choice.

I'm still in disbelief that I get to post this right now.....but I just got the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best birthday present ever. snichols16, I don't know if you are some kind of magical TLS wizard, but I thank you for your kind words and apparently earth-moving karmic presence. Technically your prediction is a few hours early, but I'll make an exception to our contract out of good faith. PM me your address and preference :D

Red_alertz, I assume you prayed for me when I asked for it a few weeks ago, so I'll buy you a round or two after you get accepted.

CONGRATS! I'm so happy for you! Really starting to feel the Irvine love, and it's getting making me excited for the prospect of starting there in the fall... Can't wait for ASD!

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:27 pm

thegreatk wrote:
snichols16 wrote:

I'm so happy for you!!! I guarantee you that UCI read this forum and said "let's give him the call on his birthday." See you at ASD!

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:46 pm

Is there a good crop of people heading down to ASD next week? I'm not so much concerned about talking with the faculty (I've read enough to get a sense of their high quality) as I am for meeting my peers. I still have enough applications out that UCI has some stiff competition.

lfp

Postby lfp » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:54 pm

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:59 pm

lfp wrote:http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2010/snapshots/PL0636770.html

It all depends on what you're looking for in a community. For me, there is no way I would EVER live down there. I'll commute the hour each way from Venice. But we already hashed this out last month on this thread.

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:38 pm

I was reading on my acceptance letter that students must maintain a 3.0 gpa in order to keep their scholarships. Does anyone know what percentage of students will get below a 3.0? I thought it might say on UCI's academics page but I can"t find anything definitive; hopefully UCI 2013 (or any current UCI student) is out there and can shed a little light on this.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:48 pm

somewherewarm wrote:I was reading on my acceptance letter that students must maintain a 3.0 gpa in order to keep their scholarships. Does anyone know what percentage of students will get below a 3.0? I thought it might say on UCI's academics page but I can"t find anything definitive; hopefully UCI 2013 (or any current UCI student) is out there and can shed a little light on this.

Mine doesn't say anything about a 3.0. It just says "This scholarship... is renewable for your second and third years provided you remain in good academic standing over consecutive years and maintain a minimum grade point average" though it doesn't stipulate what that average is. It also has a hand written note from Dean Austin about how much they are upping my package. Now I wonder what this "minimum" is, though I am not worried about meeting it if it is only 3.0

It also looks like Cherminsky hand signed the admit letters, too. Awesome.

ViP

Postby ViP » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Dean Chemerinsky leading the pack in National Jurist's recent "23 Law Profs to Take Before You Die"

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/cypress ... t0311/#/22

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:06 pm

somewherewarm wrote:I was reading on my acceptance letter that students must maintain a 3.0 gpa in order to keep their scholarships. Does anyone know what percentage of students will get below a 3.0? I thought it might say on UCI's academics page but I can"t find anything definitive; hopefully UCI 2013 (or any current UCI student) is out there and can shed a little light on this.

Mine didn't say 3.0 either. When I spoke with Janice Austin on the phone, she said you just have to remain in "good academic standing." I don't think people lose these scholarships, unless maybe you fail everything...

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:08 pm

conroyc wrote:

Mine didn't say 3.0 either. When I spoke with Janice Austin on the phone, she said you just have to remain in "good academic standing." I don't think people lose these scholarships, unless maybe you fail everything...

I'm sure it all depends on what kind of student they think you're going to be (think of lower credit rating meaning higher interest rates b/c of risk) and how much they want you. I've also heard of Loyola requiring certain admits (probably those on the borderline) having to take writing classes over the summer.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:09 pm

snichols16 wrote:Is there a good crop of people heading down to ASD next week? I'm not so much concerned about talking with the faculty (I've read enough to get a sense of their high quality) as I am for meeting my peers. I still have enough applications out that UCI has some stiff competition.

That's why I am choosing UC Irvine! I visited a few weeks ago and was super impressed with the student community. I'm excited to meet everyone at ASD as well! It seems like we have some cool people.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:14 pm

Does anybody know if Irvine has said anywhere that they will get back to all applicants by a certain date?

I would really love to go there, but it's getting close to seat deposit time at some other schools...

dtl

Postby dtl » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:53 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:Does anybody know if Irvine has said anywhere that they will get back to all applicants by a certain date?

I would really love to go there, but it's getting close to seat deposit time at some other schools...

I am in the same boat.

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:14 pm

dtl wrote:
Tim0thy222 wrote:Does anybody know if Irvine has said anywhere that they will get back to all applicants by a certain date?

I am in the same boat.

I called about a week ago, admissions told me they expect to have all decisions by the end of the month. Acceptances are by phone, denies are by letter in the mail.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:23 pm

melanne89 wrote:
dtl wrote:

I am in the same boat.

I called about a week ago, admissions told me they expect to have all decisions by the end of the month. Acceptances are by phone, denies are by letter in the mail.

This is also what Dean Austin told me in an e-mail.

Tim0thy222

Postby Tim0thy222 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:32 pm

gothamm wrote:
melanne89 wrote:
dtl wrote:

I am in the same boat.

This is also what Dean Austin told me in an e-mail.

Ok, thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. I think I can hold off until 04/15 on making a deposit, so it sounds like I'll hear back either way by then.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Tim0thy222 wrote:
Ok, thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. I think I can hold off until 04/15 on making a deposit, so it sounds like I'll hear back either way by then.

I think I read that they don't require any money to reserve your seat; only that you submit a statement of intent to register on their website somewhere.

Juuuulie

Postby Juuuulie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:47 am

I had a voicemail waiting for me this morning from the assistant dean of admissions at Irvine. They called my work on Friday after I was gone.

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:52 am

Juuuulie wrote:I had a voicemail waiting for me this morning from the assistant dean of admissions at Irvine. They called my work on Friday after I was gone.

Congratulations!!! ASD next Thursday?

Juuuulie

Postby Juuuulie » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:04 pm

thegreatk wrote:
Juuuulie wrote:I had a voicemail waiting for me this morning from the assistant dean of admissions at Irvine. They called my work on Friday after I was gone.

Congratulations!!! ASD next Thursday?

I don't know if I can swing it. My last day of work is actually next Friday, so...

Irvine is leading the pack for me currently. I haven't heard back from USC yet, so we'll see where my mind is if I get in there.

Thanks for the congrats! I'm very excited.

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Same exact boat....Irvine's in the lead, but I haven't heard back from USC or UCLA....although I don't know if I could bring myself to go to either of those places if I have the chance to be at Irvine.

But it's always nice to have options.

lfp

Postby lfp » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:59 pm

Anyone heard from UCI regarding the schedule of events for next Thursday? Wondering if something got lost in the mail...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”