UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
risktaker
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby risktaker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:42 pm

UCI definitely had the most comprehensive app and allowed me to sell myself better. Really hoping that they look past my numbers.

melanne89
Posts: 109
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby melanne89 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:44 pm

risktaker wrote:UCI definitely had the most comprehensive app and allowed me to sell myself better. Really hoping that they look past my numbers.



Same here. The Why UCI section particularly. Good luck to you! Hopefully UCI will be kind to us and we'll be here another 3 years.

User avatar
risktaker
Posts: 687
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby risktaker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:55 pm

melanne89 wrote:
risktaker wrote:UCI definitely had the most comprehensive app and allowed me to sell myself better. Really hoping that they look past my numbers.



Same here. The Why UCI section particularly. Good luck to you! Hopefully UCI will be kind to us and we'll be here another 3 years.


Didn't go to UCI undergrad but would still love to go there, haha

User avatar
conroyc
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:01 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby conroyc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:13 pm

melanne89 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:
melanne89 wrote:
I'm a UCI undergrad as well and I am still waiting. When I first submitted by app, they emailed me and asked me for my Winter Quarter classes and grades (considering it was February, I could only give them my list of classes) did they do that for you as well? If you log onto your student access, does it have a law section? Mine does, don't think that means anything though :(. I get the feeling I'm going to maybe get a waitlist or deny. How is your LSAT?


I had this last year...doesn't mean anything...sorry :(



Yeah, I figured as much. My LSAT is a 162, don't think that will cut it. Should be seeing that deny letter in the mail any day now.


I got in this year with a 162, so there's hope :)

lfp
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby lfp » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 pm

conroyc wrote:
melanne89 wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:
melanne89 wrote:
I'm a UCI undergrad as well and I am still waiting. When I first submitted by app, they emailed me and asked me for my Winter Quarter classes and grades (considering it was February, I could only give them my list of classes) did they do that for you as well? If you log onto your student access, does it have a law section? Mine does, don't think that means anything though :(. I get the feeling I'm going to maybe get a waitlist or deny. How is your LSAT?


I had this last year...doesn't mean anything...sorry :(



Yeah, I figured as much. My LSAT is a 162, don't think that will cut it. Should be seeing that deny letter in the mail any day now.


I got in this year with a 162, so there's hope :)



You're looking at a 162/3.6. UCI is all about the essay, I'm positive.

User avatar
Xnegd
Posts: 322
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby Xnegd » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Hoe many are still waiting to hear back? Still no work from them at all - I never got an e-mail confirming my application was sent....hope it all got there...

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby red_alertz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:33 pm

lfp wrote:
conroyc wrote:

You're looking at a 162/3.6. UCI is all about the essay, I'm positive.


really? i went in and talked to the UCI ppl and was told it was mostly abt GPA

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:41 pm

red_alertz wrote:
lfp wrote:
conroyc wrote:

You're looking at a 162/3.6. UCI is all about the essay, I'm positive.


really? i went in and talked to the UCI ppl and was told it was mostly abt GPA


People -- it's a black box. It's as much about GPA, LSAT, and essay as it is about what the person reading your application ate for breakfast and whether they got laid the night before. This is your intro to American Legal Realism.

thegreatk
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 am

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby thegreatk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:42 pm

red_alertz wrote:
lfp wrote:
conroyc wrote:

You're looking at a 162/3.6. UCI is all about the essay, I'm positive.


really? i went in and talked to the UCI ppl and was told it was mostly abt GPA


The two 3.0/167s who just got in would beg to differ.

I hope they like balance...a nice 3.5/165 to ride that median, maybe?

lfp
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby lfp » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:44 pm

red_alertz wrote:
lfp wrote:
conroyc wrote:

You're looking at a 162/3.6. UCI is all about the essay, I'm positive.


really? i went in and talked to the UCI ppl and was told it was mostly abt GPA


Hmm... maybe it is. With an upward grad trend and a grad degree for me, it's entirely possible. I just assumed it would have to be something other than numbers, since I've been really surprised with how I've fared given mine.

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby uci2013 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:32 pm

red_alertz wrote:
lfp wrote:
conroyc wrote:

You're looking at a 162/3.6. UCI is all about the essay, I'm positive.


really? i went in and talked to the UCI ppl and was told it was mostly abt GPA


Did admissions say that? Admittedly we have a new Admissions dean this year, but I can say it wasn't all about GPA for me. It helps - but I don't think it is be all end all. I do think with lower GPA's either a good explanation or distance in time from the GPA makes a difference though. Only my opinion on this though - I can't speak for admissions on this point.

thegreatk
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 am

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby thegreatk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:54 pm

lfp wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
lfp wrote:
conroyc wrote:

You're looking at a 162/3.6. UCI is all about the essay, I'm positive.


really? i went in and talked to the UCI ppl and was told it was mostly abt GPA


Hmm... maybe it is. With an upward grad trend and a grad degree for me, it's entirely possible. I just assumed it would have to be something other than numbers, since I've been really surprised with how I've fared given mine.


What kind of grad degree? I've got an MBA, and I'm hoping it'll give me more of a boost at Irvine than other schools. My logic is that since Irvine is aiming create more of a hands-on approach to learning, they will have a greater appreciation for students who have already succeeded in the graduate level.

Additionally, since Irvine is placing a large focus on employment statistics post-grad (I've heard more so than other institutions), they could see students with graduate degrees as more employable, since they could fall back on their other degree if Law jobs don't exist, which still counts as far as the relevant statistics are concerned.

Please correct me if any of my assumptions are untrue

ku1185
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby ku1185 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Hmm... does anyone have any experience negotiating money with UCI? I know they give the standard 1/3 tuition scholarship to all admitted, but has anyone had any success getting more?

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:03 pm

thegreatk wrote:
lfp wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
lfp wrote:


really? i went in and talked to the UCI ppl and was told it was mostly abt GPA


Hmm... maybe it is. With an upward grad trend and a grad degree for me, it's entirely possible. I just assumed it would have to be something other than numbers, since I've been really surprised with how I've fared given mine.


What kind of grad degree? I've got an MBA, and I'm hoping it'll give me more of a boost at Irvine than other schools. My logic is that since Irvine is aiming create more of a hands-on approach to learning, they will have a greater appreciation for students who have already succeeded in the graduate level.

Additionally, since Irvine is placing a large focus on employment statistics post-grad (I've heard more so than other institutions), they could see students with graduate degrees as more employable, since they could fall back on their other degree if Law jobs don't exist, which still counts as far as the relevant statistics are concerned.

Please correct me if any of my assumptions are untrue


1. Depends which institution granted your MBA.
2. What does "hands-on" mean? Because I would assume what you mean is something along the lines of students who have already had jobs (a la what Northwestern is trying to do, which I don't think is what UCI is trying to do at all). If that is what you mean, then succeeding at the graduate level would have nothing to do with creating a "hands-on" environment.
2a. Having an MBA -- or any other graduate degree, for that matter -- doesn't mean one has succeeded at the graduate level. Having an MBA from Pepperdine with a 2.5 is vastly different than having a PhD with a 4.0 and tons of fellowships. Similarly, having an MBA from Tuck or Wharton with a 2.5 is vastly different from having an MBA from Pepperdine with a 4.0
3. JD + PhD/MBA/MA does not necessarily = more employable.

Just looking to help you tighten your argument.

thegreatk
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 am

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby thegreatk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:18 pm

[/quote]What kind of grad degree? I've got an MBA, and I'm hoping it'll give me more of a boost at Irvine than other schools. My logic is that since Irvine is aiming create more of a hands-on approach to learning, they will have a greater appreciation for students who have already succeeded in the graduate level.

Additionally, since Irvine is placing a large focus on employment statistics post-grad (I've heard more so than other institutions), they could see students with graduate degrees as more employable, since they could fall back on their other degree if Law jobs don't exist, which still counts as far as the relevant statistics are concerned.

Please correct me if any of my assumptions are untrue[/quote][/quote]

1. Depends which institution granted your MBA.
2. What does "hands-on" mean? Because I would assume what you mean is something along the lines of students who have already had jobs (a la what Northwestern is trying to do, which I don't think is what UCI is trying to do at all). If that is what you mean, then succeeding at the graduate level would have nothing to do with creating a "hands-on" environment.
2a. Having an MBA -- or any other graduate degree, for that matter -- doesn't mean one has succeeded at the graduate level. Having an MBA from Pepperdine with a 2.5 is vastly different than having a PhD with a 4.0 and tons of fellowships. Similarly, having an MBA from Tuck or Wharton with a 2.5 is vastly different from having an MBA from Pepperdine with a 4.0
3. JD + PhD/MBA/MA does not necessarily = more employable.

Just looking to help you tighten your argument.[/quote][/quote]

1. Agreed...but since law schools largely disregard the quality of one's undergraduate institution, one could assume that the degree granting institution doesn't matter THAT much, either. With that said, the same logic implies that the graduate GPA would be highly relevant. In my case, it's a 5 year joint MBA....which makes my MBA less impressive, but makes my undergraduate GPA slightly more impressive, since I was taking MBA courses instead of fluff courses during undergraduate.

2. When I say "hands-on," I mean teaching students to be lawyers, not just teaching them the law. As the attorneys I work for say, there's a reason they call it "law school" and not "lawyer school." Since many graduate schools are more geared toward teaching to succeed in that particular occupation rather than general theory, success in graduate school COULD imply a better chance of succeeding as a lawyer.
2a. I agree completely.

3. Does not necessarily make one more employable, true. Statistically/generally, however, two job paths are usually better than one.

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby lawandi » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:27 pm

ku1185 wrote:Hmm... does anyone have any experience negotiating money with UCI? I know they give the standard 1/3 tuition scholarship to all admitted, but has anyone had any success getting more?


I need help with this too.

lfp
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby lfp » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:37 pm

If UCI is looking for more practically-based students who are more employable post-law-school, that ain't me :) I have a graduate degree in the humanities. I've been thoroughly Life of the Mind in my academic pursuits. I really cannot grasp what UCI is trying to do, but I imagine it's a lot like when I was applying for my graduate degree: they are piecing together a class of diverse backgrounds and goals, based on the individual qualities of the applicants. Just like how an English department doesn't want 50 students focusing on Shakespeare or Bronte, I'm guessing UCI wants interesting and varied people in their classrooms as well.

All of this is totally without anything to substantiate it, by the way.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:46 pm

thegreatk wrote:
What kind of grad degree? I've got an MBA, and I'm hoping it'll give me more of a boost at Irvine than other schools. My logic is that since Irvine is aiming create more of a hands-on approach to learning, they will have a greater appreciation for students who have already succeeded in the graduate level.

Additionally, since Irvine is placing a large focus on employment statistics post-grad (I've heard more so than other institutions), they could see students with graduate degrees as more employable, since they could fall back on their other degree if Law jobs don't exist, which still counts as far as the relevant statistics are concerned.

Please correct me if any of my assumptions are untrue[/quote][/quote]

1. Depends which institution granted your MBA.
2. What does "hands-on" mean? Because I would assume what you mean is something along the lines of students who have already had jobs (a la what Northwestern is trying to do, which I don't think is what UCI is trying to do at all). If that is what you mean, then succeeding at the graduate level would have nothing to do with creating a "hands-on" environment.
2a. Having an MBA -- or any other graduate degree, for that matter -- doesn't mean one has succeeded at the graduate level. Having an MBA from Pepperdine with a 2.5 is vastly different than having a PhD with a 4.0 and tons of fellowships. Similarly, having an MBA from Tuck or Wharton with a 2.5 is vastly different from having an MBA from Pepperdine with a 4.0
3. JD + PhD/MBA/MA does not necessarily = more employable.

Just looking to help you tighten your argument.[/quote][/quote]

1. Agreed...but since law schools largely disregard the quality of one's undergraduate institution, one could assume that the degree granting institution doesn't matter THAT much, either. With that said, the same logic implies that the graduate GPA would be highly relevant. In my case, it's a 5 year joint MBA....which makes my MBA less impressive, but makes my undergraduate GPA slightly more impressive, since I was taking MBA courses instead of fluff courses during undergraduate.

2. When I say "hands-on," I mean teaching students to be lawyers, not just teaching them the law. As the attorneys I work for say, there's a reason they call it "law school" and not "lawyer school." Since many graduate schools are more geared toward teaching to succeed in that particular occupation rather than general theory, success in graduate school COULD imply a better chance of succeeding as a lawyer.
2a. I agree completely.

3. Does not necessarily make one more employable, true. Statistically/generally, however, two job paths are usually better than one.[/quote]

1. I think you have this backward (and I'm confused how you agree with my 2a and disagree with my 1). I guess I know you have this backward after talking with adcoms at Cornell, NU, and Boalt about my PhD. Graduate level GPAs don't matter at all. I have a 4.0 and it means nothing. Graduate GPAs only matter if they aren't extremely high because everyone does well (or should do well) in graduate school. That said, the institution you receive it from matters. It's much, much more difficult to get into Haas than it is to get into Pepperdine, and that speaks to your abilities. And, as you already agreed, a 2.5 from Wharton or Tuck is more impressive than a 4.0 from Pepperdine. So institution does matter. Secondly, taking graduate level courses as an undergraduate doesn't give you a weighted GPA as taking AP classes in high school did. Your GPA is your GPA regardless of what courses you took. So having taken graduate level courses simply brought your GPA down a bit. Maybe adcoms looked at your transcript and saw the courses, but really what matters is what they saw at first glance, which was a lower GPA.

2. Your argument here becomes a little problematic with regard to an MBA. We need to differentiate between "law schools" (which I designate as T1) and graduate school; and "lawyer schools" (T2 and below) and MBA programs. The former teach you how to think. The latter teach you how to do. By that logic, doing well in the latter group does not indicate anything about possible performance in the former.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:51 pm

All of that said, you're a solid candidate and I'm sure you'll get in. They are just tying up loose strings over there. You'll get a call from Estuardo tomorrow.

thegreatk
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 am

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby thegreatk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:30 pm

I see what you're saying. And I was just implying that since undergraduate gpa matters and institution doesn't, logic would imply the same standard would apply to graduate school. But I understand why it doesn't.

Tomorrow is my birthday. If your prediction is correct, I'm sending you a bottle of booze. A really nice one. Irvine is by far my #1 choice.

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:49 pm

thegreatk wrote:I see what you're saying. And I was just implying that since undergraduate gpa matters and institution doesn't, logic would imply the same standard would apply to graduate school. But I understand why it doesn't.

Tomorrow is my birthday. If your prediction is correct, I'm sending you a bottle of booze. A really nice one. Irvine is by far my #1 choice.


Think positive -- gotta remain positive in this game. I'm sure you'll get in.

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby red_alertz » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:50 pm

thegreatk wrote:I see what you're saying. And I was just implying that since undergraduate gpa matters and institution doesn't, logic would imply the same standard would apply to graduate school. But I understand why it doesn't.

Tomorrow is my birthday. If your prediction is correct, I'm sending you a bottle of booze. A really nice one. Irvine is by far my #1 choice.


can I get a bottle too? I can even pick it up if local

thegreatk
Posts: 114
Joined: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:17 am

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby thegreatk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:26 pm

snichols16 wrote:
thegreatk wrote:I see what you're saying. And I was just implying that since undergraduate gpa matters and institution doesn't, logic would imply the same standard would apply to graduate school. But I understand why it doesn't.

Tomorrow is my birthday. If your prediction is correct, I'm sending you a bottle of booze. A really nice one. Irvine is by far my #1 choice.


Think positive -- gotta remain positive in this game. I'm sure you'll get in.


I'm still in disbelief that I get to post this right now.....but I just got the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best birthday present ever. snichols16, I don't know if you are some kind of magical TLS wizard, but I thank you for your kind words and apparently earth-moving karmic presence. Technically your prediction is a few hours early, but I'll make an exception to our contract out of good faith. PM me your address and preference :D

Red_alertz, I assume you prayed for me when I asked for it a few weeks ago, so I'll buy you a round or two after you get accepted.

Good luck to all who are waiting!

snichols16
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:35 pm

thegreatk wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
thegreatk wrote:I see what you're saying. And I was just implying that since undergraduate gpa matters and institution doesn't, logic would imply the same standard would apply to graduate school. But I understand why it doesn't.

Tomorrow is my birthday. If your prediction is correct, I'm sending you a bottle of booze. A really nice one. Irvine is by far my #1 choice.


Think positive -- gotta remain positive in this game. I'm sure you'll get in.


I'm still in disbelief that I get to post this right now.....but I just got the call!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best birthday present ever. snichols16, I don't know if you are some kind of magical TLS wizard, but I thank you for your kind words and apparently earth-moving karmic presence. Technically your prediction is a few hours early, but I'll make an exception to our contract out of good faith. PM me your address and preference :D

Red_alertz, I assume you prayed for me when I asked for it a few weeks ago, so I'll buy you a round or two after you get accepted.

Good luck to all who are waiting!


Congrats buddy. Glad to hear you got in. Your happiness is reward enough for me. Go buy your self a bottle of Veuve and celebrate your acceptance and your birthday. I'll see you at ASD next Thursday.

Juuuulie
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby Juuuulie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:43 pm

Congrats to those who are in. I'm starting to feel really discouraged.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SweetTort and 7 guests