UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Gotti

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby Gotti » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:31 pm

sealoquesea wrote:Also people should realize that Irvine is a self contained campus. there wont be cops knocking on your door because someone who lives in a gate community a few miles down the road can hear your party.

are you kidding? this is completely false unless you live in the dorms as a college freshman. Even then, quiet hours start at 10pm on weeknights and midnight on weekends. There are so many families who live in the apartments right by campus and if you have a party in VDC or Norte or any of those communities by campus (Harvard, Stanford, Dartmouth, Cornell, etc.), it will get shut down by 12. trust me on this one.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:41 pm

Gotti wrote:
sealoquesea wrote:Also people should realize that Irvine is a self contained campus. there wont be cops knocking on your door because someone who lives in a gate community a few miles down the road can hear your party.

are you kidding? this is completely false unless you live in the dorms as a college freshman. Even then, quiet hours start at 10pm on weeknights and midnight on weekends. There are so many families who live in the apartments right by campus and if you have a party in VDC or Norte or any of those communities by campus (Harvard, Stanford, Dartmouth, Cornell, etc.), it will get shut down by 12. trust me on this one.

LOL! Thank you! People really try and gloss over what it is really like in OC. I lived in a party complex in Newport Beach...and people still called at 10pm. Huntington Beach has been a great experience though. My favorite place to live in OC. People less stuck up.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:50 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:
Gotti wrote:

LOL! Thank you! People really try and gloss over what it is really like in OC. I lived in a party complex in Newport Beach...and people still called at 10pm. Huntington Beach has been a great experience though. My favorite place to live in OC. People less stuck up.

haha yeah. anyway to be honest I hate living in suburban areas...I don't like living in cities like Irvine. I'm much more suited for life in cities like SF and NYC, which is why I am most likely leaving the beautiful southern california weather for NYC in the fall. If you <33 suburban life where you don't do anything, you'll love Irvine.

Just don't expect to go out much.

ETA: I spend most of my weekends at home with roommates/friends drinking and watching shows/movies or listening to music because we don't want to spend the $30 (ONE WAY) for a cab to the bars in newport or the closest decent night club (Sutra). It is a rare occasion to go to Newport or Downtown Fullerton (even farther than Newport...we're going there for a friend's bday this weekend). Needless to say, I can't wait to GTFO.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:11 pm

Gotti wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:
Gotti wrote:

haha yeah. anyway to be honest I hate living in suburban areas...I don't like living in cities like Irvine. I'm much more suited for life in cities like SF and NYC, which is why I am most likely leaving the beautiful southern california weather for NYC in the fall. If you <33 suburban life where you don't do anything, you'll love Irvine.

ETA: I spend most of my weekends at home with roommates/friends drinking and watching shows/movies or listening to music because we don't want to spend the $30 (ONE WAY) for a cab to the bars in newport or the closest decent night club (Sutra). It is a rare occasion to go to Newport or Downtown Fullerton (even farther than Newport...we're going there for a friend's bday this weekend). Needless to say, I can't wait to GTFO.

I grew up in a town with under 1,000 in the Midwest. It doesn't take a huge city to enjoy yourself or make meaningful friendships (that last longer than a night out at the latest trendy hotspot). Huge cities like NYC and SF drive me crazy - they are full of people who could care less about the person walking on the street next to them. Irvine's law school is an amazing community of great people - and it's in paradise! It's BEAUTIFUL in the OC!

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:31 am

jck4487 wrote:
Gotti wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:
Gotti wrote:LOL! Thank you! People really try and gloss over what it is really like in OC. I lived in a party complex in Newport Beach...and people still called at 10pm. Huntington Beach has been a great experience though. My favorite place to live in OC. People less stuck up.

I grew up in a town with under 1,000 in the Midwest. It doesn't take a huge city to enjoy yourself or make meaningful friendships (that last longer than a night out at the latest trendy hotspot). Huge cities like NYC and SF drive me crazy - they are full of people who could care less about the person walking on the street next to them. Irvine's law school is an amazing community of great people - and it's in paradise! It's BEAUTIFUL in the OC!

Agreed. If you don't like living in Irvine, gtfo.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:36 am

sealoquesea wrote:
justajealousguy wrote:1/2 scholarship here.

Nervously awaiting my other responses (UCLA and Stanford among them).

Hastings - WL
Berkley - Rejected

Not a school related post, just trying to get a feel of the lifestyle in Irvine. My research on the Orange County area combined with these posts about the housing and environment have left me concerned. As someone from out of state but a frequent visitor of northern CA, I already adore the culture and climate of the Bay area. I have never been down south and am apprehensive that Irvine will be too pristine and family oriented, as the above posters suggest. I spent a short period of my childhood living in a ritzy community that drove me insane. The police would gladly waste hours of their time on petty neighbor disputes, nothing remotely unique could be built due to the building regulations, and everything about city improvements were to appeal to families.

Also, assuming life might be initially a bit lonely moving thousands of miles away from home and entering the notoriously antisocial life of a first year, I really want to bring my dog. Can't seem to find any hope in that regard!

Again, don't think these are my primary deciding factors, haha...just want to get opinions, as I have read so many kind and helpful responses on this thread.

Went to Irvine today and sat in on classes, toured the school and hung out in Newport. I was really impressed. Visited Hastings over the weekend and definitely preferred Irvine to Hastings/SF. I am from a community similar to Irvine, so I am probably biased towards the lifestyle and having spent four years for college in the ghetto, don't really see anything wrong with living somewhere nice. The school culture is very collegial, and I think that Newport will be a lot of fun when there is the time to hang out down there

You were in our con law class this morning? I saw you there but I did not get a chance to say hi. Glad you liked Irvine - the culture is probably as collegial as a law school can get - maybe UVa has us beat, not sure - but the collegiality impressed me when I visited last year and I have not been disappointed in my expectations.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:41 am

Gotti wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Given UCI isn't for you GL on your NWU application. I withdrew from their waitlist last year because I couldn't afford to pay full tuition there - but it was my 2nd choice school for atmosphere of the ones I visited. The students there were very nice and the atmosphere was also collegial. And Chicago seemed like a great city if you could overlook the weather.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:24 am

conroyc wrote:
jck4487 wrote:I grew up in a town with under 1,000 in the Midwest. It doesn't take a huge city to enjoy yourself or make meaningful friendships (that last longer than a night out at the latest trendy hotspot). Huge cities like NYC and SF drive me crazy - they are full of people who could care less about the person walking on the street next to them. Irvine's law school is an amazing community of great people - and it's in paradise! It's BEAUTIFUL in the OC!

...I...am?

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Gotti wrote:
conroyc wrote:
jck4487 wrote:I grew up in a town with under 1,000 in the Midwest. It doesn't take a huge city to enjoy yourself or make meaningful friendships (that last longer than a night out at the latest trendy hotspot). Huge cities like NYC and SF drive me crazy - they are full of people who could care less about the person walking on the street next to them. Irvine's law school is an amazing community of great people - and it's in paradise! It's BEAUTIFUL in the OC!

...I...am?

+1!!!!

LOL. OC people...or people who want to be OC people are such prudes. LOL

And if you think OC is full of people who could care about you? You are dead wrong. OC is infamous for people who don't give a crap about anyone but themselves, but they will pretend to be your friend.

Don't get my wrong. My fiancee is from OC and a few friends of mine, but I always call them freaks because I don't know how they came to be.

GL in Irvine, I loved it for my undergrad...but I graduated in 3 years because it was so boring and I was ready to be out. Gotti and I are just making sure you don't get sucked in by what you may see on TV or the first impression you get when visiting. The shine rubs off fast. Unless you like superficial people...or you don't care about who you have to live with.

Done with the convo. GL to all the UCI people still waiting and those who plan to go!

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:04 pm

I just got a call from a 949 area code!!!!

It was F*cking Verizon Wireless asking me about my service. If my office had a window, I'd jump out.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:41 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:
Gotti wrote:
conroyc wrote:

...I...am?

+1!!!!

LOL. OC people...or people who want to be OC people are such prudes. LOL

And if you think OC is full of people who could care about you? You are dead wrong. OC is infamous for people who don't give a crap about anyone but themselves, but they will pretend to be your friend.

Don't get my wrong. My fiancee is from OC and a few friends of mine, but I always call them freaks because I don't know how they came to be.

GL in Irvine, I loved it for my undergrad...but I graduated in 3 years because it was so boring and I was ready to be out. Gotti and I are just making sure you don't get sucked in by what you may see on TV or the first impression you get when visiting. The shine rubs off fast. Unless you like superficial people...or you don't care about who you have to live with.

Done with the convo. GL to all the UCI people still waiting and those who plan to go!

The thing I was most impressed with about UCI was the people. Yep, I'm sure there are crappy people that live there (like everywhere else), but I care more about the people I'll actually interact with - the law students. But I get it, eternal summer and beaches aren't for everyone. Some people are just pulled in by dirty subways, overpriced studio apartments and crappy winters like you get in NYC. A never-ending supply of restaurants, clubs and lounges just don't do it for me, I guess. I've never seen the TV show, so I guess I don't know what the stereotype of the OC is. I just know how impressed I was when it when I visited. Do potential law students base their school choice off what they see on the WB? Wow, I sure hope not...

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Admitted via phone call. No word about scholly. Looking forward to seeing the area and the school in person.

lfp

Postby lfp » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:35 pm

somewherewarm wrote:Admitted via phone call. No word about scholly. Looking forward to seeing the area and the school in person.

Congratulations!

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Almost 3 weeks ago, UCI emailed me saying they were reviewing my app and that the committee wanted to know my Winter Quarter classes (I am a current UCI undergrad), was anyone else asked about this? I haven't heard anything since. Does anyone know how they let applicants know if they are denied (email, letter...)?

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:28 pm

ViP wrote:
lawandi wrote:Anyone getting decisions lately? Are admits still coming via phone?

I'm really surprised how long UCI is taking! It's is one of the last few to get back to me... but I'm suuuper eager to know! If I get more than 1/3 there, UCI will be a front-runner. I REALLY want to stay in So Cal, and I love Orange County.

UCI's new Dean of Admissions just arrived in January (she was overseas). For that reason UCI got off to a slightly slower start than other schools with regard to the admissions process.

Hang tight! UCI is worth the wait :) .

EDIT: Also, with regard to scholarship money- keep in mind that a number of auto-admits who were offered 1/3+ scholarships will eventually withdraw their applications and choose to attend elsewhere, which means their scholarship monies will go back in the pot. If indeed you qualify for additional money, it could take some time before you receive an official offer (unless you're really, really qualified).

Thanks for the information about scholarships. I don't have extra special numbers, so I am betting I'll have to negotiate. Really, I'd just LOVE to be admitted! I'll worry about money later.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Woo! In via phone call today.

I wonder if I can use UCI 1/3 scholly to negotiate with other schools. lol

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:24 pm

ku1185 wrote:Woo! In via phone call today.

I wonder if I can use UCI 1/3 scholly to negotiate with other schools. lol

Congrats! When did you submit your app? I think they're borderline with me and are going to wait until the end to let me know :/.

Nobody has any clue how they inform people of the denies?

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:27 pm

I submitted 2/25, sent in the signed form thingy a day or two later. The info is on my LSN account (check my TSL profile for linky).

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:08 pm

I emailed the admissions office. They said they intend to have all decisions out by the end of the month! Of course that's expected, but it's still nice to hear. Especially because most first seat deposits for other schools are due April 1st or 15th.

Come on Irvine, you got this!!! :)

mexinstdls

Postby mexinstdls » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:23 am

omg, omg, omg! Like you guys are going to totally rock the O.C. scene! I can't wait to party with you guys. Like we should tOtally go to the beach together. I'll bring my boooks and you can bring the sunscreen. I know this guy who fucking rocks on the guitar. he sounds just like Jack Johnson. It's going to be rEally fun, you guys!

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:40 am

mexinstdls wrote:omg, omg, omg! Like you guys are going to totally rock the O.C. scene! I can't wait to party with you guys. Like we should tOtally go to the beach together. I'll bring my boooks and you can bring the sunscreen. I know this guy who fucking rocks on the guitar. he sounds just like Jack Johnson. It's going to be rEally fun, you guys!

You are a tard. Oh, and Mexico doesn't want you. Please don't bash on people who actually want to go :)

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:32 pm

mexinstdls wrote:omg, omg, omg! Like you guys are going to totally rock the O.C. scene! I can't wait to party with you guys. Like we should tOtally go to the beach together. I'll bring my boooks and you can bring the sunscreen. I know this guy who fucking rocks on the guitar. he sounds just like Jack Johnson. It's going to be rEally fun, you guys!

baby troll's first trolling

pinkgrapefruit

Postby pinkgrapefruit » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:53 pm

Did you guys receive a confirmation email after you sent your application? I sent mine in a little late, and haven't received anything...

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:57 pm

All I got was an email confirming the information in my application very shortly after I submitted (next day).

Since then, silence.

ku1185

Postby ku1185 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:03 pm

I got confirmation, followed by a letter stating that there was a discrepancy on my FAFSA. About a week after that, I got the good news phone call.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”