UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Juuuulie

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby Juuuulie » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:13 am

I haven't applied yet, but I'm definitely intrigued. And hey, maybe I can be the oldest ever admitted student for them! Woo!

Juuuulie

Postby Juuuulie » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:35 pm

I just sent an application. I'm really interested. Something about being in near the beginning is really compelling for me.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:06 am

Juuuulie wrote:I just sent an application. I'm really interested. Something about being in near the beginning is really compelling for me.

That and their 1/3 tuition free. And amazing faculty and Dean.

Juuuulie wrote:I haven't applied yet, but I'm definitely intrigued. And hey, maybe I can be the oldest ever admitted student for them! Woo!

You cant be that old. You know how to use the internet.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:42 am

Juuuulie wrote:I just sent an application. I'm really interested. Something about being in near the beginning is really compelling for me.

Good luck Juuuulie!! I agree that it is very exciting to be part of the beginning. And I really appreciate the small size of the school. UCI is amazing.

Juuuulie

Postby Juuuulie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:32 am

trudat15 wrote:
Juuuulie wrote:I haven't applied yet, but I'm definitely intrigued. And hey, maybe I can be the oldest ever admitted student for them! Woo!

You cant be that old. You know how to use the internet.

Sadly, I can't be the oldest. They admitted someone older last term. But I can be among the oldest! :D

And my 70-year-old mom uses the internet.

Thanks, uci2013! I really hope to join you next year.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:14 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:Yes Irvine campus is gorgeous (it's very modernistic as far as the architecture goes) - I went to UC Irvine as an undergrad, so if anyone has questions about the campus itself and where to find the best off campus housing feel free to ask. Also, I took a class with Dean Chemerinsky as a undergraduate. Very interesting. It was on Constitutional Law.

Great places to run and bike as well around the campus. Plenty of trails + lots of sunshine on most days.

I went to UCI UG too! When did you graduate?? I personally do NOT like UCI or Irvine at all...it's very boring (there is absolutely nothing to do) and I can't wait to get the heck out of here lol. That's just me personally though...

Edit: UCI likes to suck money out of its students like it's a joke. $160 to park in ONE parking structure every three months. Honestly, I'd save yourself the $$ and apply to Hastings. It's in a much more fun location, it's actually RANKED (about the same as UCI), it has a really good family law program (for those interested), it's probably easier to get into because of the small class size at UCI, there is good public transportation at least (go BART!), and you won't want to kill yourself after being bored as hell in Irvine for 3 years.
Last edited by Gotti on Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:16 am

lisjjen wrote:
conroyc wrote:I am still getting my application together for UCI, but am stuck on the "Why UCI" essay portion. I just don't know how to go about constructing it, as I don't want my reasons to sound insincere. Did the rest of you find it difficult at all? Thanks! :)

Yes, I did find myself sounding insincere which is why I'm just going to bail on that application and say goodbye to my $12 reporting fee. USNWR might rank UCI to make their wildest dreams come true and they're T14. On the other hand, if I say goodbye to some unbelievable school and USNWR comes back with #55, I'd hang myself with a piano wire.

It's estimated to be ranked around #40ish...somewhere around Hastings' level.

ViP

Postby ViP » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Gotti wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
conroyc wrote:I am still getting my application together for UCI, but am stuck on the "Why UCI" essay portion. I just don't know how to go about constructing it, as I don't want my reasons to sound insincere. Did the rest of you find it difficult at all? Thanks! :)

Yes, I did find myself sounding insincere which is why I'm just going to bail on that application and say goodbye to my $12 reporting fee. USNWR might rank UCI to make their wildest dreams come true and they're T14. On the other hand, if I say goodbye to some unbelievable school and USNWR comes back with #55, I'd hang myself with a piano wire.

Where do you get the notion that it will be ranked around 40? That's entirely speculative. And it would be awkward for a school with T20 student numbers and a T10 faculty to be ranked 40, no?

Also, despite Hastings' history, UCI offers a lot that Hastings doesn't.

EDIT: just wanted to note that I am well-aware of the US News rankings criteria. My point is simply that it's near impossible to predict where the school will rank upon its debut.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:48 pm

ViP wrote:
Gotti wrote:
lisjjen wrote:

Where do you get the notion that it will be ranked around 40? That's entirely speculative. And it would be awkward for a school with T20 student numbers and a T10 faculty to be ranked 40, no?

EDIT: just wanted to note that I am well-aware of the US News rankings criteria. My point is simply that it's near impossible to predict where the school will rank upon its debut.

my bf read it in a newspaper somewhere recently...lemme see if i can get him to find it & i'll post the link. he said its projected rank was 44 or something. My bad for not backing up my claims lol i'll try to find it asap

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:17 pm

Gotti wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:Yes Irvine campus is gorgeous (it's very modernistic as far as the architecture goes) - I went to UC Irvine as an undergrad, so if anyone has questions about the campus itself and where to find the best off campus housing feel free to ask. Also, I took a class with Dean Chemerinsky as a undergraduate. Very interesting. It was on Constitutional Law.

Great places to run and bike as well around the campus. Plenty of trails + lots of sunshine on most days.

I went to UCI UG too! When did you graduate?? I personally do NOT like UCI or Irvine at all...it's very boring (there is absolutely nothing to do) and I can't wait to get the heck out of here lol. That's just me personally though...

Edit: UCI likes to suck money out of its students like it's a joke. $160 to park in ONE parking structure every three months. Honestly, I'd save yourself the $$ and apply to Hastings. It's in a much more fun location, it's actually RANKED (about the same as UCI), it has a really good family law program (for those interested), it's probably easier to get into because of the small class size at UCI, there is good public transportation at least (go BART!), and you won't want to kill yourself after being bored as hell in Irvine for 3 years.

I graduated in June 2010. It is very boring though. I'm still stuck in Irvine at the moment. But you can't beat the weather and less traffic to deal with than LA schools I imagine.

And parking is a huge cost. At W&M I heard it's only $300 for the whole year. That's like the price for one quarter at UCI. But the UC's have no $ so they keep increasing the costs. In my time there, even the price to get enrollment verification went up $3, tuition went up by more than $1000/quarter and the parking costs increased a lot.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:50 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I graduated in June 2010. It is very boring though. I'm still stuck in Irvine at the moment. But you can't beat the weather and less traffic to deal with than LA schools I imagine.

And parking is a huge cost. At W&M I heard it's only $300 for the whole year. That's like the price for one quarter at UCI. But the UC's have no $ so they keep increasing the costs. In my time there, even the price to get enrollment verification went up $3, tuition went up by more than $1000/quarter and the parking costs increased a lot.

Yeah i graduated june 2010 too and i'm stuck here too lol. Yeah UCI is very boring. No nightlife (no late night crowds at jack in the box like when my first few years either!). Sutra (nightclub) in Newport is cool if you really really like techno and no other kind of music. The great thing is, though, having the beach be a 10-15 minute drive is GREAT. Live in Newport Beach if you can, you’ll have fun that way with the bars and everything. But if you want to live closer to the school, be prepared to have even less of a social life than normal LS students do. I’m just sayin' ..........

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Gotti wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Yeah i graduated june 2010 too and i'm stuck here too lol. Yeah UCI is very boring. No nightlife (no late night crowds at jack in the box like when my first few years either!). Sutra (nightclub) in Newport is cool if you really really like techno and no other kind of music. The great thing is, though, having the beach be a 10-15 minute drive is GREAT. Live in Newport Beach if you can, you’ll have fun that way with the bars and everything. But if you want to live closer to the school, be prepared to have even less of a social life than normal LS students do. I’m just sayin' ..........

Or Heat Ultra Lounge is pretty nice in Anaheim. But it is somewhat of a drive. Newport is definitely the way to go.

Still, you are close by Disneyland and a bunch of other things to do if you have a car. But you're screwed if you don't have one.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:59 pm

ViP wrote:Where do you get the notion that it will be ranked around 40? That's entirely speculative. And it would be awkward for a school with T20 student numbers and a T10 faculty to be ranked 40, no?

Going the other way, since it's impossible to predict, why does everyone in Irvine think it will be a a t20 right away. Though I think the school, faculty, and dean are great, which is why I applied, we simply have no idea what their judge/lawyer assessment scores will be, which makes up 40% of the ranking.

ViP

Postby ViP » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:35 pm

trudat15 wrote:
ViP wrote:Where do you get the notion that it will be ranked around 40? That's entirely speculative. And it would be awkward for a school with T20 student numbers and a T10 faculty to be ranked 40, no?

Going the other way, since it's impossible to predict, why does everyone in Irvine think it will be a a t20 right away.

That's not the case. The administration at UCI is confident that the school will be T20 upon its debut, but the students really have no idea and are frankly far too busy to worry about such things at the moment. Having said that, I guess lots of students are confident because they believe in Dean Chemerinsky and his ability to make things happen. But you'd be hard-pressed to find many UCI students that adamantly insist that UCI will be T20, simply because it's too speculative at the moment and UCI has enough amazing things going on that rankings aren't in students' minds.

trudat15 wrote:Though I think the school, faculty, and dean are great, which is why I applied, we simply have no idea what their judge/lawyer assessment scores will be, which makes up 40% of the ranking.

That's actually incorrect. Here's a breakdown I made a short while back in another thread:

25% of US News' rankings is based on peer assessment (assessment by law school deans and administrations)
- Law schools, professors, and deans have been nothing but hugely impressed and supportive (as noted in articles, mentioned by Chemerinsky, and explained to me by a T20 corporate law professor who's apparently very "in" with the world of "top" professors)

25% is based on selectivity (GPA, LSAT, acceptance rate)
- Let's assume Irvine will maintain T25 numbers at least until they feature in the rankings (not hard to believe considering we're only talking about a couple of years from now, and the first two classes have T20 numbers)

20% is based on placement success (jobs and bar passage)
- I don't think anyone fears that Chem and the great faculty won't prepare UCI students well enough for the bar. In terms of jobs, it's hard to say because there are currently no graduates. But so far it looks like UCI students are in great shape since the school can and does give personal attention to each and every student. In order for the school to succeed, students need to get jobs, and the school is pulling together all resources necessary to achieve that goal (e.g. summer employment for literally every student)

15% is based on faculty resources (expenditures per student, student/faculty ratio, library resources)
- This is a serious plus for UCI, considering the small size of the program particularly during the first few years

That equates to 85% that works in favor of UCI being T20 or T25, by my calculations. You can disagree with the extent of my optimisim, but I don't see how anything listed above will really hurt UCI's potential in the rankings...

The final 15% is for assessment scores by lawyers/judges. Those who are familiar with UCI (not many) are likely to give it strong scores (the few lawyers/judges that have dealt with UCI students thus far have been extremely impressed). Those who don't know UCI simply will decline to answer, and responses of "don't know" count neither for nor against a school. In any case, Dean Chem is in the news every single day, and his name is always preceded or followed by "Dean of UC Irvine School of Law." A trivial detail, perhaps, but this factor of the rankings is trivial in its nature, and those in the legal world will affiliate UCI with his name and stature.

Even if that final 15% hurts UCI more than I expect, it will detract from T20 status (again, according to my breakdown above).

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:09 pm

trudat15 wrote:Though I think the school, faculty, and dean are great, which is why I applied, we simply have no idea what their judge/lawyer assessment scores will be, which makes up 40% of the ranking.

Whoops, I meant 40% is the Quality Assessment, which accounts for Peer and Lawyer/Judges. But you cant assume these scores, though I agree and tend to think they will be strong in the region, and maybe a lot of declines in areas that they arent familiar with UCI. I'm not trying to put down UCI at all, and in fact, it's one of my top choices should CCN not pan out.

trudat15 wrote: Going the other way, since it's impossible to predict, why does everyone in Irvine think it will be a a t20 right away.

I meant people like the administration and the faculty. I dont really think students opinions really matter in this particular situation. They arent more well versed in US Rankings and the majority here on TLS.

ViP

Postby ViP » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:43 pm

trudat15 wrote:

Whoops, I meant 40% is the Quality Assessment, which accounts for Peer and Lawyer/Judges. But you cant assume these scores, though I agree and tend to think they will be strong in the region, and maybe a lot of declines in areas that they arent familiar with UCI. I'm not trying to put down UCI at all, and in fact, it's one of my top choices should CCN not pan out.

trudat15 wrote: Going the other way, since it's impossible to predict, why does everyone in Irvine think it will be a a t20 right away.

I meant people like the administration and the faculty. I dont really think students opinions really matter in this particular situation. They arent more well versed in US Rankings and the majority here on TLS.

I'm glad you're so interested in UCI! Like you've said, the ranking thing is still in the air, but there's plenty of incredible stuff going on at UCI that is certain and tangible.

ViP

Postby ViP » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Here are some key excerpts from today's LA Daily Journal (http://law.uci.edu/pdf/djournal_120710.pdf):

"At a time when many law school graduates are struggling to find jobs, students at the still-unaccredited UC Irvine School of Law are quickly becoming poised to secure their own post-graduate employment."

"Employers who made offers to UC Irvine students through the on-campus interview process include Jones Day; O'Melveny & [deleted]; Morrison & Forrester; Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton; Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher; and Crowell & Moring, among other national and regional firms, and public interest organizations including the ACLU of Southern California and the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law."

"Bob Williams, the firmwide recruiting partner at Sheppard Mullin, said the school's accreditation status had no bearing on their decision to hire from UC Irvine. 'I think it would be kind of arrogant of an employer not to take notice of that school,' Williams said. 'This is a group of students who certainly are not less qualified than other groups.' Williams said the start-up nature of the school in some ways gives the students more marketable skills, because they have to launch programs like the law review from scratch without any institutionalized guidance.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:35 pm

ViP wrote:Here are some key excerpts from today's LA Daily Journal (http://law.uci.edu/pdf/djournal_120710.pdf):

"At a time when many law school graduates are struggling to find jobs, students at the still-unaccredited UC Irvine School of Law are quickly becoming poised to secure their own post-graduate employment."

"Employers who made offers to UC Irvine students through the on-campus interview process include Jones Day; O'Melveny & [deleted]; Morrison & Forrester; Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton; Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher; and Crowell & Moring, among other national and regional firms, and public interest organizations including the ACLU of Southern California and the Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law."

"Bob Williams, the firmwide recruiting partner at Sheppard Mullin, said the school's accreditation status had no bearing on their decision to hire from UC Irvine. 'I think it would be kind of arrogant of an employer not to take notice of that school,' Williams said. 'This is a group of students who certainly are not less qualified than other groups.' Williams said the start-up nature of the school in some ways gives the students more marketable skills, because they have to launch programs like the law review from scratch without any institutionalized guidance.

One of the top reasons why I like UCI. The career center seems to be doing whatever it can to secure 1L and 2L summer jobs for ppl, and I imagine it will continue with post grad jobs. That and the amazing faculty. In the end, law school is so you can get a job. Regardless of rank, if I can get a great job out of UCI while paying substantially less than I would have elsewhere, I'd be dumb not to seriously consider.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:11 pm

This is a little off topic, but how long did it take for you to receive a "file complete" email from UCI? I submitted via the online application but sent in the signed letter sometime last week.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:12 pm

ViP wrote:Here are some key excerpts from today's LA Daily Journal (http://law.uci.edu/pdf/djournal_120710.pdf):

Yeah, I knew Sheppard Mullin said they were impressed with the UCI students. My friend works at Sheppard. A part of me thinks I should apply to UCI, if only because I have a lot of connections in OC thanks to work and my running club.

mybrain

Postby mybrain » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:22 pm

conroyc wrote:This is a little off topic, but how long did it take for you to receive a "file complete" email from UCI? I submitted via the online application but sent in the signed letter sometime last week.

They don't send you a 'complete' email that they received the signed confirmation letter. I asked same question to the admission office and they told me that if I received 'application submission' email (auto email for online submission) AND LSAC sent out files to UCI, then my file would be complete.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:43 pm

conroyc wrote:This is a little off topic, but how long did it take for you to receive a "file complete" email from UCI? I submitted via the online application but sent in the signed letter sometime last week.

even more off topic: i love your icon.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:46 pm

When will a ranking come out for UCI?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:05 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:When will a ranking come out for UCI?

after the first class graduates and gets jobs....aka once it gets accredited. Could take a few years though

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:25 pm

mybrain wrote:

They don't send you a 'complete' email that they received the signed confirmation letter. I asked same question to the admission office and they told me that if I received 'application submission' email (auto email for online submission) AND LSAC sent out files to UCI, then my file would be complete.

I asked them the same. No complete email. Just the application submission email once you submit your app. Then they will contact you if you are missing any pieces of the application. If they dont email you, you can consider yourself complete.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”