UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lfp

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby lfp » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:45 pm

arobb527 wrote:Accepted today! 1/3 scholarship like the rest of you, I assume...

Congrats!

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:47 pm

arobb527 wrote:Accepted today! 1/3 scholarship like the rest of you, I assume...

phone call?

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:52 pm

lfp wrote:

Congrats!

He told me 1/3 on the phone call, but it was boosted in the package that I received in the mail. You never know...

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:00 pm

lfp wrote:

Congrats!

CONGRATS!!!

dtl

Postby dtl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:11 am

Is it just me or does it seem like UCIrvine is way behind compared to other law schools as far as sending out decisions. That LSN graph looks oddly blank... scary stuff!

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:24 am

dtl wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like UCIrvine is way behind compared to other law schools as far as sending out decisions. That LSN graph looks oddly blank... scary stuff!

ViP explains this on page 9. But ya, it's unfortunate for those of us who are eager to make our law school plans!

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:22 pm

i am wishing so hard to get into UCI that I am literally praying for it couple times a day

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:23 pm

red_alertz wrote:i am wishing so hard to get into UCI that I am literally praying for it couple times a day

Throw a prayer or two for me in there, will ya? I'm agnostic, so it would be disingenuous if I did it myself.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:26 pm

thegreatk wrote:
red_alertz wrote:i am wishing so hard to get into UCI that I am literally praying for it couple times a day

Throw a prayer or two for me in there, will ya? I'm agnostic, so it would be disingenuous if I did it myself.

yeah i'd pray for u to get into UCLA and leave UCI for me

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:36 pm

red_alertz wrote:
thegreatk wrote:

yeah i'd pray for u to get into UCLA and leave UCI for me

Application gunner. I can respect that.

Although I don't know if I'd go to UCLA over Irvine, considering I'd get zero dollars from UCLA and I am in love with the Irvine Law culture/atmosphere/style/swagger.

(If you're reading this Dean Schwartz, please disregard above post)

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:38 pm

Went to UCI for undergrad. If you have a car and/or want to live by the beach, a lot of UCI students live in Balboa Island, Newport Beach. I did, and it was amazing to wake up and be right in front of the ocean. I read and even did homework there sometimes. My rent for a shared room was $530/month, less than at Irvine when I lived in VDC Norte($637/month). My friends that had their own rooms paid about $700-$900. There's anywhere from 1 bedroom, to 6 bedroom places. There's also UCI shuttles that run daily transporting UCI students back and forth(about a 20 minute ride). They stop everywhere on campus, including the law school/graduate school area and are very reliable (I used them instead of my car). I should mention that on campus housing at UCI is also beautiful, clean, and feels like a plam springs resort or something along those lines. The actual apartments are furnished, and I thought they were nice. Pools, gym, study rooms, sunny weather, and walking/bus distance.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:49 pm

I was a UCI undergrad. I think it is overrated. The ocean is beautiful and I loved the campus, but I don't want to stay here at all. It is such a boring place to be. I lived in Newport Beach and Huntington Beach. Commute was easy and was great not living in Irvine. But the culture of Orange County is overrated and superficial. I've lived here 8 years so it was not just my undergrad experience.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe 3 years here wouldn't be so bad, but I'm ready to get out of Southern CA.

I'm declining my acceptance today. Good luck to the rest of you.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:10 pm

askyemcdonald wrote:I was a UCI undergrad. I think it is overrated.The ocean is beautiful and I loved the campus, but I don't want to stay here at all. It is such a boring place to be. I lived in Newport Beach and Huntington Beach. Commute was easy and was great not living in Irvine. But the culture of Orange County is overrated and superficial. I've lived here 8 years so it was not just my undergrad experience.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe 3 years here wouldn't be so bad, but I'm ready to get out of Southern CA.

The bolded is TCR. I didn't even apply.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Gotti wrote:
askyemcdonald wrote:I was a UCI undergrad. I think it is overrated.The ocean is beautiful and I loved the campus, but I don't want to stay here at all. It is such a boring place to be. I lived in Newport Beach and Huntington Beach. Commute was easy and was great not living in Irvine. But the culture of Orange County is overrated and superficial. I've lived here 8 years so it was not just my undergrad experience.

+1

samfii

Postby samfii » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:22 pm

tagging this thread

lfp

Postby lfp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:38 pm

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:Went to UCI for undergrad. If you have a car and/or want to live by the beach, a lot of UCI students live in Balboa Island, Newport Beach. I did, and it was amazing to wake up and be right in front of the ocean. I read and even did homework there sometimes. My rent for a shared room was $530/month, less than at Irvine when I lived in VDC Norte($637/month). My friends that had their own rooms paid about $700-$900. There's anywhere from 1 bedroom, to 6 bedroom places. There's also UCI shuttles that run daily transporting UCI students back and forth(about a 20 minute ride). They stop everywhere on campus, including the law school/graduate school area and are very reliable (I used them instead of my car). I should mention that on campus housing at UCI is also beautiful, clean, and feels like a plam springs resort or something along those lines. The actual apartments are furnished, and I thought they were nice. Pools, gym, study rooms, sunny weather, and walking/bus distance.

Forget the studying-by-the-Pacific thing; after living in DC for 7 years, the idea of rent in that range - even the high range - is enough to make me swoon.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:32 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
Gotti wrote:

+1

I had quite the opposite experience as an undergrad. I love it here and don't want to leave--but then again I came from a very small town in California, and am glad to be anywhere but there. But I love the OC lifestyle and want to live here as long as possible. It's not as boring and overrated as everyone says it is.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:20 pm

lfp wrote:
HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:Went to UCI for undergrad. If you have a car and/or want to live by the beach, a lot of UCI students live in Balboa Island, Newport Beach. I did, and it was amazing to wake up and be right in front of the ocean. I read and even did homework there sometimes. My rent for a shared room was $530/month, less than at Irvine when I lived in VDC Norte($637/month). My friends that had their own rooms paid about $700-$900. There's anywhere from 1 bedroom, to 6 bedroom places. There's also UCI shuttles that run daily transporting UCI students back and forth(about a 20 minute ride). They stop everywhere on campus, including the law school/graduate school area and are very reliable (I used them instead of my car). I should mention that on campus housing at UCI is also beautiful, clean, and feels like a plam springs resort or something along those lines. The actual apartments are furnished, and I thought they were nice. Pools, gym, study rooms, sunny weather, and walking/bus distance.

Forget the studying-by-the-Pacific thing; after living in DC for 7 years, the idea of rent in that range - even the high range - is enough to make me swoon.

$900 for a single room in a shared apartment? I don't think that is very low.

justajealousguy

Postby justajealousguy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:21 am

1/2 scholarship here.

Nervously awaiting my other responses (UCLA and Stanford among them).

Hastings - WL
Berkley - Rejected

Not a school related post, just trying to get a feel of the lifestyle in Irvine. My research on the Orange County area combined with these posts about the housing and environment have left me concerned. As someone from out of state but a frequent visitor of northern CA, I already adore the culture and climate of the Bay area. I have never been down south and am apprehensive that Irvine will be too pristine and family oriented, as the above posters suggest. I spent a short period of my childhood living in a ritzy community that drove me insane. The police would gladly waste hours of their time on petty neighbor disputes, nothing remotely unique could be built due to the building regulations, and everything about city improvements were to appeal to families.

Also, assuming life might be initially a bit lonely moving thousands of miles away from home and entering the notoriously antisocial life of a first year, I really want to bring my dog. Can't seem to find any hope in that regard!

Again, don't think these are my primary deciding factors, haha...just want to get opinions, as I have read so many kind and helpful responses on this thread.

sealoquesea

Postby sealoquesea » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:37 am

justajealousguy wrote:1/2 scholarship here.

Hastings - WL
Berkley - Rejected

Not a school related post, just trying to get a feel of the lifestyle in Irvine. My research on the Orange County area combined with these posts about the housing and environment have left me concerned. As someone from out of state but a frequent visitor of northern CA, I already adore the culture and climate of the Bay area. I have never been down south and am apprehensive that Irvine will be too pristine and family oriented, as the above posters suggest. I spent a short period of my childhood living in a ritzy community that drove me insane. The police would gladly waste hours of their time on petty neighbor disputes, nothing remotely unique could be built due to the building regulations, and everything about city improvements were to appeal to families.

Also, assuming life might be initially a bit lonely moving thousands of miles away from home and entering the notoriously antisocial life of a first year, I really want to bring my dog. Can't seem to find any hope in that regard!

Again, don't think these are my primary deciding factors, haha...just want to get opinions, as I have read so many kind and helpful responses on this thread.

Went to Irvine today and sat in on classes, toured the school and hung out in Newport. I was really impressed. Visited Hastings over the weekend and definitely preferred Irvine to Hastings/SF. I am from a community similar to Irvine, so I am probably biased towards the lifestyle and having spent four years for college in the ghetto, don't really see anything wrong with living somewhere nice. The school culture is very collegial, and I think that Newport will be a lot of fun when there is the time to hang out down there

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 am

sealoquesea wrote:

Hastings - WL
Berkley - Rejected

Went to Irvine today and sat in on classes, toured the school and hung out in Newport. I was really impressed. Visited Hastings over the weekend and definitely preferred Irvine to Hastings/SF. I am from a community similar to Irvine, so I am probably biased towards the lifestyle and having spent four years for college in the ghetto, don't really see anything wrong with living somewhere nice. The school culture is very collegial, and I think that Newport will be a lot of fun when there is the time to hang out down there

+1

Way better than where I've been the last few years - Provo, UT...

sealoquesea

Postby sealoquesea » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:42 pm

jck4487 wrote:
sealoquesea wrote:

Hastings - WL
Berkley - Rejected

+1

Way better than where I've been the last few years - Provo, UT...

Also people should realize that Irvine is a self contained campus. there wont be cops knocking on your door because someone who lives in a gate community a few miles down the road can hear your party.

mybrain

Postby mybrain » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:32 pm

In by phone call today!
1/3 scholarship as everybody receives.

lfp

Postby lfp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:54 pm

mybrain wrote:In by phone call today!
1/3 scholarship as everybody receives.

congratulations!

letmk

Postby letmk » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:18 pm

Also got the standard 1/3 scholarship only. As much as I like the school and the city, it's hard for me to choose them over others who give me substantial $$$. Anybody knows if they are willing to negotiate the scholarship?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”