UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
uci2013

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby uci2013 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:18 am

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:LOL @ posters here trying to get neutral, informed advice from UCI 1Ls.

I admit I am biased - I am happy with my choice. But hard to get any informed advice from non-UCI students as well.

LiveFreeOrLaw

Postby LiveFreeOrLaw » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:47 am

uci2013 wrote:
LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:LOL @ posters here trying to get neutral, informed advice from UCI 1Ls.

I admit I am biased - I am happy with my choice. But hard to get any informed advice from non-UCI students as well.

You sound like the guy whose fate is tied up in a sinking ship, trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation.

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:17 am

LiveFreeOrLaw wrote:
uci2013 wrote:

You sound like the guy whose fate is tied up in a sinking ship, trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation.

You sound like an....idiot? Don't bag on others buddy, he's going to a good school leave him be.

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:52 pm

If you have any question about the school or student life, I'll be more than happy to answer.

- Proud UCI law 1L

pimpsdontcry

Postby pimpsdontcry » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:21 pm

poslhs wrote:If you have any question about the school or student life, I'll be more than happy to answer.

- Proud UCI law 1L

Thanks for the offer :)

Here's a quickie, in matters of selectivity, could you comment on the type (lots of WE or just out of UG?) of the student's attending thus far? I ask this because like many others I am trying to gauge where UCI stands and I believe it weighs more on the quality of the students attending than the prestige of the faculty (just my opinion). Clarification is appreciated :)

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:29 pm

pimpsdontcry wrote:Thanks for the offer :)

Here's a quickie, in matters of selectivity, could you comment on the type (lots of WE or just out of UG?) of the student's attending thus far? I ask this because like many others I am trying to gauge where UCI stands and I believe it weighs more on the quality of the students attending than the prestige of the faculty (just my opinion). Clarification is appreciated :)

I don't know the exact statistics but we all know each other -- I'm not kidding about this. :) -- so I'd say at least more than half (and probably more than 6~70%) of our class (and 2Ls) have WE. Again, I don't know for sure but I think it's a current trend for all law schools.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm really interested in hearing about housing options. It seems like on campus housing is the cheapest. I've gotten the impression that palo verde and verano place would be hard to get into. How hard are the one bedroom american campus communities to get into?

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:10 pm

everytime my phone rings nowdays i pray it to be from a 949 area code, disappointed a few times everyday for the past weeks, and most likely will continue to disappoint in the future

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:55 pm

jck4487 wrote:I'm really interested in hearing about housing options. It seems like on campus housing is the cheapest. I've gotten the impression that palo verde and verano place would be hard to get into. How hard are the one bedroom american campus communities to get into?

VP is cheapest ($350-634) and PV($542-997) is little more expensive. Puerta del Sol (PDS) (about $1000) is the newest one and easy to get in but it's expensive. We got guaranteed on-campus-housing but there were limited places in VP and PV. And PDS was a brand new one so lots of folks got PDS. But some of us (I'd say about a quarter?) got VP, PV, or Vista Del Campo Norte, which is another on-campus-apartment that costs about $850. All of these places are really close to the law school building so you can walk to school within 10 min. There are lots of Irvine company apartments near school if you want that option. Rents for those places were from $1000-ish (within walking distance to school) to $600-ish (if you're willing to drive or bike) when I was checking on last year. I think about a third of us live off-campus due to different reasons (pet, family... ) I'm not sure how it's going to be this year but I think it'd be a similar situation.
You can get more info about housing on this website.
http://www.housing.uci.edu/

thegreatk

Postby thegreatk » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:15 pm

red_alertz wrote:everytime my phone rings nowdays i pray it to be from a 949 area code, disappointed a few times everyday for the past weeks, and most likely will continue to disappoint in the future

+1

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:12 am

poslhs wrote:
jck4487 wrote:I'm really interested in hearing about housing options. It seems like on campus housing is the cheapest. I've gotten the impression that palo verde and verano place would be hard to get into. How hard are the one bedroom american campus communities to get into?

VP is cheapest ($350-634) and PV($542-997) is little more expensive. Puerta del Sol (PDS) (about $1000) is the newest one and easy to get in but it's expensive. We got guaranteed on-campus-housing but there were limited places in VP and PV. And PDS was a brand new one so lots of folks got PDS. But some of us (I'd say about a quarter?) got VP, PV, or Vista Del Campo Norte, which is another on-campus-apartment that costs about $850. All of these places are really close to the law school building so you can walk to school within 10 min. There are lots of Irvine company apartments near school if you want that option. Rents for those places were from $1000-ish (within walking distance to school) to $600-ish (if you're willing to drive or bike) when I was checking on last year. I think about a third of us live off-campus due to different reasons (pet, family... ) I'm not sure how it's going to be this year but I think it'd be a similar situation.
You can get more info about housing on this website.
http://www.housing.uci.edu/

Thanks for the info - I find the housing website less than helpful. They don't have pictures of the apartments. If you're interested in what the swimming pool looks like at each of the different communities, there are pictures from every angle. I'm coming with my fiance, so we're hoping for a one bedroom. Do you know if it is as easy to get into the PDS or Vista del Campo one bedrooms as it is for singles?

poslhs

Postby poslhs » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:16 am

jck4487 wrote:Thanks for the info - I find the housing website less than helpful. They don't have pictures of the apartments. If you're interested in what the swimming pool looks like at each of the different communities, there are pictures from every angle. I'm coming with my fiance, so we're hoping for a one bedroom. Do you know if it is as easy to get into the PDS or Vista del Campo one bedrooms as it is for singles?

I'm not sure about that. :? I know only one person living with fiance in on-campus-housing and she rents two bedroom.
Call the housing office -- and remember different housing units have different numbers -- and ask them.

lfp

Postby lfp » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Booked my flight for ASD today! Anyone - admitted students, current students, etc - know what we can expect for ASD?

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:10 pm

I'd have to disagree with this one...I went to UG at Irvine and UCI and Irvine Company LOVE to charge you up the butt for housing but if you live in a place like Woodbridge or in a house a little farther away from campus, it's a lot cheaper. I paid almost $800 for my own room and shared bathroom in a 3 person apt in Vista Del Campo Norte. The room was tiny and I got a twin bed....lame.

I moved away from on-campus housing and paid $650 for my own room (huge) in a 2 bedroom condo with one other person.

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:18 pm

Anyone getting decisions lately? Are admits still coming via phone?

I'm really surprised how long UCI is taking! It's is one of the last few to get back to me... but I'm suuuper eager to know! If I get more than 1/3 there, UCI will be a front-runner. I REALLY want to stay in So Cal, and I love Orange County.

mybrain

Postby mybrain » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:20 pm

lawandi wrote:Anyone getting decisions lately? Are admits still coming via phone?

I'm really surprised how long UCI is taking! It's is one of the last few to get back to me... but I'm suuuper eager to know! If I get more than 1/3 there, UCI will be a front-runner. I REALLY want to stay in So Cal, and I love Orange County.

+1

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:10 pm

Gotti wrote:

I'd have to disagree with this one...I went to UG at Irvine and UCI and Irvine Company LOVE to charge you up the butt for housing but if you live in a place like Woodbridge or in a house a little farther away from campus, it's a lot cheaper. I paid almost $800 for my own room and shared bathroom in a 3 person apt in Vista Del Campo Norte. The room was tiny and I got a twin bed....lame.

I moved away from on-campus housing and paid $650 for my own room (huge) in a 2 bedroom condo with one other person.

You have to get pretty far away from campus for that to be true, right? My fiance will be working in the Anaheim area and will have to commute. We only have one car so I need to live close enough to campus to bike/walk - I hate riding buses.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:43 pm

jck4487 wrote:You have to get pretty far away from campus for that to be true, right? My fiance will be working in the Anaheim area and will have to commute. We only have one car so I need to live close enough to campus to bike/walk - I hate riding buses.

not even that far..like 2-3 miles away. It took me 5 mins to drive to campus. But yeah biking that every day is annoying I guess. But tbh it's not THAT far of a bike ride. Check it out when you visit though...woodbridge. The houses I'm talking about are too far for you but if you can get low income housing at the independently owned apt complexes, it's a SWEET deal. This girl I knew did low income at Camden (I lived here too... It's about ~2 miles away from campus) for a 1 bedroom and paid $1100/month. And check out where we lived: http://www.mainplacetobe.com

ViP

Postby ViP » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:19 pm

lawandi wrote:Anyone getting decisions lately? Are admits still coming via phone?

UCI's new Dean of Admissions just arrived in January (she was overseas). For that reason UCI got off to a slightly slower start than other schools with regard to the admissions process.

Hang tight! UCI is worth the wait :) .

EDIT: Also, with regard to scholarship money- keep in mind that a number of auto-admits who were offered 1/3+ scholarships will eventually withdraw their applications and choose to attend elsewhere, which means their scholarship monies will go back in the pot. If indeed you qualify for additional money, it could take some time before you receive an official offer (unless you're really, really qualified).

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:51 pm

Gotti wrote:

The on-campus housing can't be beat price-wise if you manage to get assigned to Verano Place or Palo Verde. Puerta Del Sol is not cheap; you can do better off campus; but it is furnished and a 5 minute walk to class. Vista Del Campo I can't speak to much - but they do have in unit w/d. OTOH, they are further from the law school and pricey (though I've heard the pool is nice).But the $800 to share a 3 person apt does seem ridiculous, so if that is the pricing, I agree, off campus is cheaper than VDC.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:53 pm

Gotti wrote:
jck4487 wrote:You have to get pretty far away from campus for that to be true, right? My fiance will be working in the Anaheim area and will have to commute. We only have one car so I need to live close enough to campus to bike/walk - I hate riding buses.

not even that far..like 2-3 miles away. It took me 5 mins to drive to campus. But yeah biking that every day is annoying I guess. But tbh it's not THAT far of a bike ride. Check it out when you visit though...woodbridge. The houses I'm talking about are too far for you but if you can get low income housing at the independently owned apt complexes, it's a SWEET deal. This girl I knew did low income at Camden (I lived here too... It's about ~2 miles away from campus) for a 1 bedroom and paid $1100/month. And check out where we lived: http://www.mainplacetobe.com

I thought they wouldn't give students the low income rate? How did you arrange that?

bhan87

Postby bhan87 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:03 am

Former UCI undergrad here.

In my opinion, if you're going to live off campus, its preferable to live further away (like in Woodbridge mentioned above). The apartment complexes near the school are generally in poor condition and overpriced. Also, when you sign up for parking, be sure you request Social Sciences Parking Structure if they put you on a zone-restricted permit (closest structure to the law school).

The ideal situation, however, is to get a room at Palo Verano. The rent is significantly under market price of nearby apartments in the area and the PV apartments are within walking distance to school (still around a 15 minute walk, but a quick bike ride can speed that up). Palo Verano is pretty close to an Albertsons which makes it easier to get groceries.

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:05 pm

uci2013 wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I thought they wouldn't give students the low income rate? How did you arrange that?

No idea, but this girl who lived in my building got a 1 bedroom for $1100/month!

Gotti

Postby Gotti » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:05 pm

bhan87 wrote:Former UCI undergrad here.

In my opinion, if you're going to live off campus, its preferable to live further away (like in Woodbridge mentioned above). The apartment complexes near the school are generally in poor condition and overpriced. Also, when you sign up for parking, be sure you request Social Sciences Parking Structure if they put you on a zone-restricted permit (closest structure to the law school).

The ideal situation, however, is to get a room at Palo Verano. The rent is significantly under market price of nearby apartments in the area and the PV apartments are within walking distance to school (still around a 15 minute walk, but a quick bike ride can speed that up). Palo Verano is pretty close to an Albertsons which makes it easier to get groceries.

TITCR

arobb527

Postby arobb527 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:30 pm

Accepted today! 1/3 scholarship like the rest of you, I assume...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”