UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
snichols16

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby snichols16 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 pm

sanguar wrote:
conroyc wrote:
Thanks for the info! I wonder if anyone has received a scholarship beyond 1/2 tuition?

That'd be interesting to know. Also wonder if they're willing to negotiate at all, and if so, what other schools they consider to be their "peers" against whose offers they'd negotiate? My one big worry with Irvine (well, probably almost everybody's big worry), is that we don't know how their ranking will turn out, and so we don't know what kind of reputation our shiny UCI-Law degree will carry around with it. Choosing Irvine thus means choosing a fair amount of risk. If one has a similar offer (in terms of COA) from a school in the 11-20 range, then you're looking at similar COA but with considerably less risk.

One way to mitigate the risk is to put some extra $ on the table so that COA at Irvine drops considerably below the COA at other schools, so even if Irvine doesn't get ranked as highly as one might hope, at least you don't have nearly as much debt as you would otherwise.

Thus my interest in negotiation. I've got approx 1/2 offers from UCLA and Texas. I know what I'm getting for my $ there, reputation wise, and I know reasonably well how far those degrees might carry me. Even though Irvine looks awesome, a 1/2 offer at Irvine puts COA at approx the same as at UCLA or Texas (actually a 1/2 at Texas puts COA considerably lower given cost-of-living differences). I think it would take more than 1/2 at Irvine to get me to be willing to take the risks associated.

I was admitted two Fridays ago, received my admit letter in the mail on Saturday with a handwritten note saying that they increased my package from 1/3 to 1/2 tuition/fees.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:57 pm

Also, if you look at where students from Irvine have summered, it looks like they are placing well with the firms downtown. Irell is a sponsor of the school and I have a good friend who works for Quinn Emanuel and she says they will be recruiting from Irvine in the future.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:56 pm

FWIW, just tried to negotiate my 1/3 scholarship offer today by sending an email. It was extremely polite and I told them that UCI is my #1 choice, but keeping debt as low as possible is my main priority. I mentioned that I have a significant offer from two other schools in So Cal (didn't want to sound snobby by dropping names so I omitted it), and they basically said that 1/3 was all they could do for me. I expected it though; with my numbers I was probably lucky to get accepted in the first place. Oh well--worth a shot!

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Congrats to those of you who got increased scholly offers :-D

Conroyc - Sorry they couldn't extend you a larger offer. I hope you decide UCI is the right choice for you, but I definitely understand financial considerations. Finances did impact my decision last year as well.

For those of you in the LA area, this may be of interest to you - Dean C. will be debating at the LA Country Library tonight regarding the question as to "whether the country’s highest court has been ideologically motivated during recent decades."
More info here: http://www.lfla.org/event-detail/544/Er ... hn-Eastman

Sadly I can't make the trip up to LA but it should be interesting if you have the time.

jackwhiteiii

Postby jackwhiteiii » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm going tomorrow to tour the school and sit in on an international legal analysis class, I am beyond excited! I'll post about it on here when it is through, congratulations to those who have already been accepted!

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:09 pm

jackwhiteiii wrote:I'm going tomorrow to tour the school and sit in on an international legal analysis class, I am beyond excited! I'll post about it on here when it is through, congratulations to those who have already been accepted!

Do you know which section/professor you will be sitting in on?

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:46 pm

I applied mid-December, haven't heard anything... so worried, do you guys know if all decisions are given by phone call? or denials are handed out in letters only? What's the approximate number of applicants this year? wish I studied harder as an undergrad, too bad my cs kill-death ratio is so much higher than my gpa...

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:46 pm

hey uci2013, i just got my upgraded scholly note in the mail ( :D !!) and it has definitely made me consider uci more seriously. i was wondering if you could give me an idea of the debt with a 1/2 scholarship offer? or link me to this info. i've tried googling it before, but haven't found reliable info... and i might just be incapable, lol.

EDIT: I've found the info on tuition and fees (ridiculous that it took me so long), but would you say their cost of living expense estimates are accurate? I suppose that's really what I'm asking. I'm not trying to be lazy, but I want to hear from a current student what kind of financial drama I might face.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:14 pm

kelesands wrote:hey uci2013, i just got my upgraded scholly note in the mail ( :D !!) and it has definitely made me consider uci more seriously. i was wondering if you could give me an idea of the debt with a 1/2 scholarship offer? or link me to this info. i've tried googling it before, but haven't found reliable info... and i might just be incapable, lol.

EDIT: I've found the info on tuition and fees (ridiculous that it took me so long), but would you say their cost of living expense estimates are accurate? I suppose that's really what I'm asking. I'm not trying to be lazy, but I want to hear from a current student what kind of financial drama I might face.

So I am in student housing - I would say my 9 month expenses are running me about $15K including books - my housing is about $1K a month. If you share a place in VP or PV your housing will be much less. Even a one bedroom in VP or PV should save you at least $3500 over what I am paying. But I live pretty cheaply overall. If I remember right they budget about $18K for living expenses and books if you are on campus - so you should easily be able to do that. I am trying to make sure I have enough to get through summer as well with the aid provided since I won't be getting paid over summer.

Congratz by they way!!

jackwhiteiii

Postby jackwhiteiii » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:51 pm

uci2013 wrote:
jackwhiteiii wrote:I'm going tomorrow to tour the school and sit in on an international legal analysis class, I am beyond excited! I'll post about it on here when it is through, congratulations to those who have already been accepted!

Sorry for the late reply, but it was the International Legal Analysis class from 3-430 with Professor Chris Whytock. I was extremely impressed by the class, and by the current students-- everyone seemed very bright, hardworking, and friendly. The campus is pristine, and going in person truly cemented in my mind that UCI Law is the right school for me...now I just hope they feel the same way !

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:19 am

jackwhiteiii wrote:
uci2013 wrote:

Sorry for the late reply, but it was the International Legal Analysis class from 3-430 with Professor Chris Whytock. I was extremely impressed by the class, and by the current students-- everyone seemed very bright, hardworking, and friendly. The campus is pristine, and going in person truly cemented in my mind that UCI Law is the right school for me...now I just hope they feel the same way !

Yay!! I am glad you enjoyed your visit. I had a meeting to go to after class or I would have chatted with you a bit (I am in that class). Professor Whytock is a good instructor - very clear about what he expects you to learn and makes you feel comfortable in class. I like seeing UCI <3 so I hope they <3 you back as well. Good luck!

lfp

Postby lfp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:56 pm

While I sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting to hear if there's a travel stipend for ASD, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard? I did get an email saying that the stipend does exist and they'll be sending information on that, but I'm particularly keen on knowing how much it is. Especially for out-of-state travelers, such as myself. I'm really looking forward to getting out of the blistery cold in DC and out to southern California...

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:57 pm

lfp wrote:While I sit here twiddling my thumbs waiting to hear if there's a travel stipend for ASD, I'm wondering if anyone else has heard? I did get an email saying that the stipend does exist and they'll be sending information on that, but I'm particularly keen on knowing how much it is. Especially for out-of-state travelers, such as myself. I'm really looking forward to getting out of the blistery cold in DC and out to southern California...

Yes, it does exist. I haven't gotten the mailing yet, but because I have to book my trip quickly I emailed them about it. Basically they're offering $300 for out of state visits. I don't know all the relevant details beyond that, but that's the offer.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:03 pm

UCI is my undergrad and I loved the school, but I'm having some doubts about going there for law. I was only offered the 1/3 scholarship like everyone else, and I've already gotten better financial offers at other schools. Its not accredited, though I know it will be, and there isnt a strong alumni base like other schools. Any one else struggling with this?

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:09 pm

are all the admittance this year by phone? anyone know?

lfp

Postby lfp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:11 pm

red_alertz wrote:are all the admittance this year by phone? anyone know?

My admit was over the phone. And they only had my application for two weeks before a decision. I was floored when I got the call, since I only applied in the beginning of January.

askyemcdonald

Postby askyemcdonald » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:12 pm

lfp wrote:
red_alertz wrote:are all the admittance this year by phone? anyone know?

My admit was over the phone. And they only had my application for two weeks before a decision. I was floored when I got the call, since I only applied in the beginning of January.

+1 I was pretty surprised at the speed as well.

lfp

Postby lfp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:17 pm

[Yes, it does exist. I haven't gotten the mailing yet, but because I have to book my trip quickly I emailed them about it. Basically they're offering $300 for out of state visits. I don't know all the relevant details beyond that, but that's the offer.[/quote]

YES. Thank you! Looks like I'll be meeting you and everyone else in March!

usernamer

Postby usernamer » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:08 pm

So if I applied in early november, am i probably out if I haven't heard? Do they do a lot of WL's?

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:49 pm

usernamer wrote:So if I applied in early november, am i probably out if I haven't heard? Do they do a lot of WL's?

i don't think they start processing any apps until after December (I was told so by admissions staff)

mybrain

Postby mybrain » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:42 pm

usernamer wrote:So if I applied in early november, am i probably out if I haven't heard? Do they do a lot of WL's?

I applied late Nov, and haven't heard anything yet. With no status checker, and no confirmation e-mail for completion, I just wonder whether I wasted $12.

lfp

Postby lfp » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:56 pm

mybrain wrote:

I applied late Nov, and haven't heard anything yet. With no status checker, and no confirmation e-mail for completion, I just wonder whether I wasted $12.

I really don't know if there's a rhyme or reason to their decision timeline. I was floored when I heard so quickly, especially I'm emphatically below their numbers. But I think they're really putting a lot of emphasis on the essay; they mentioned my essay when I got my acceptance call.

gb87

Postby gb87 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 pm

lfp wrote:
mybrain wrote:

I really don't know if there's a rhyme or reason to their decision timeline. I was floored when I heard so quickly, especially I'm emphatically below their numbers. But I think they're really putting a lot of emphasis on the essay; they mentioned my essay when I got my acceptance call.

Would you mind telling me what your numbers are? I applied to UCI with a lower lsat score, but my gpa was high and I have a MA so I am wondering if I stand a chance.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:37 pm

what do you guys think the applicant size this year for UCI? its been ridiculously large last two years

lfp

Postby lfp » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:42 pm

gb87 wrote:
lfp wrote:
mybrain wrote:

Would you mind telling me what your numbers are? I applied to UCI with a lower lsat score, but my gpa was high and I have a MA so I am wondering if I stand a chance.

My LSAT was in the (very) low 160s. And my GPA is the median. But I, too, have a graduate degree and I've been out of undergrad for 3 years, with some really great work experience.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”