UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Iqbalz

Re: UC Irvine 2011 Applicants

Postby Iqbalz » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:46 pm

I commute to UCI from LA. It is not ideal, but definitely doable, especially if you are a morning person. Being able to use the HOV lane is a huge plus.

The biggest drawback, aside from money spent on gas, is the strain on your ability to participate in extracurriculars. The upside, for me, is living in LA.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:33 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
snichols16 wrote:
uci2013 wrote:
snichols16 wrote:Got the phone call on Friday as well. Best school im in so far, no denys, on hold at haravrd, penn, nw, and uva. Still no word from Ucla or Sc.

Question for anyone who knows: how many days a week do 1Ls typically have class at UCI? I live in Santa Monica and don't really want to move south. That said, I also don't want to be in the car two hours a day, five days a week.

We have class 5 days a week as a 1L. We have some folks commuting from LA or Riverside but I really don't know how they do it. Some 2Ls arrange their schedules to be M-W. I know one person commuting from LA takes the Metro. Last year UCLA and USC took so long to review applications, I just withdrew in April before they even gave me a response. After I went to Irvine's ASD I really didn't care what either of those schools did with my application - but that's me. FWIW I was a splitter. A lot of schools held or waitlisted me last year.

Thanks UCI2013. Good to know. I'll be driving, so I'm sure it won't be an issue. Perhaps i
can find someone else who lives close by on the westside and we could drive together and
utilize the express lanes.

QueenLizzie: I currently live in SM and lived in Venice for five years before. I took my PhD
from UCLA and all of my friends live in the area up here. The thing is, I know the trade offs
between living up here and living down in OC... and I would MUCH rather do the commute
than live down there. I just wanted to know if I would need to do that commute five days a
week or three days a week. Plus, I can come down earlier or later in the day to surf,
anyway.

Read uci2013's post more carefully. You will be having class every day as a 1L. Anyways, ultimately up to you, I'm just saying I would not suggest it. But to each their own.

Ha. Read my post more carefully: I understand what UCI said.

kelesands

Postby kelesands » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:39 pm

Hey snichols, could you give me some of your pros and cons for LA versus living in OC?

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:27 pm

Hrm... The only "cons" of living in LA are going to be the commute and being removed from the student body. But I'm not sure if either of those will register as cons. (1) An hour commute each way in LA really is standard and (2) it's not really clear to me if the law school body mostly lives in or near Irvine. The biggest PRO for me is that I already have social networks in LA. I like the various communities of LA, I like where I live in Santa Monica on the beach and how close I am to Venice. I like being close to the vibrant cultural on-goings in Santa Monica, Hollywood, WeHo, downtown, etc (I have a lot of friends who are in film and I am pretty active in the film community). I like that LA has some grit. I like that there are a ton of communities that are all very unique.

The "cons" of living in OC are that it is really a family oriented place. I have some surfing buddies who live in Newport, HB, and Laguna, but they have lived there all of their life, and their social networks are very difficult to break into.... because everyone else they know has lived there their entire life. Laguna definitely has a vibrant little downtown/main st, but it's very white and affluent. Not that Santa Monica and Venice aren't affluent, but it's less ostentatious and a different variety. Once you get east of the beach communities, it just becomes a suburban wasteland, which isn't my thing. But even the beach communities (e.g. HB) feel less beachy and more suburbany. There are some vibrant Mexican and Vietnamese communities which add some flavor down there, but.... meh... It just doesn't really do it for me as much as LA.

You can determine how invested you are going to be in making where you live a venue of education or a city that you want to become a part of. But I really think that there is just more going on and more to be involved in up in LA. If you don't find yourself needing many different cultural outlets, OC will be fine for you. If you're moving to SoCal from outside of the state, I would imagine living in OC will be fine for you. But once you taste what LA has to offer, it'll be tough to go back. That said, I hated LA my first year of grad school. It took moving to Venice and then loving Venice. Then I was able to open myself up to the rest of LA.

Iqbalz

Postby Iqbalz » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:54 am

To be honest, lifestyle choices tend to assume a lower priority when you are a 1L. It is hard to experience/appreciate the diversity and culture of your neighborhood when you spend most of your time with your nose in a casebook. At least that's my experience. Still, I do love me some Gjelia's pizza on a Friday night in Venice and would tell anyone who has an interest in good food that LA trumps Irvine in a big way.

Another (rather superficial) con against the OC is the total lack of hardwood floors.

Perhaps more importantly, LA has more 1L summer employment opportunities.

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:41 pm

re: internships, this is a good point. Most of the large law firms are in Century City or downtown.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:11 pm

In via phone call just a minute ago! They mentioned the 1/3 scholarship offer and said that more info on other merit- and need-based scholarship applications would come in the mail. Are others getting larger offers on the initial phone call or is all of their $$ stuff done via application after the fact?

YAY!

snichols16

Postby snichols16 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:17 pm

sanguar wrote:In via phone call just a minute ago! They mentioned the 1/3 scholarship offer and said that more info on other merit- and need-based scholarship applications would come in the mail. Are others getting larger offers on the initial phone call or is all of their $$ stuff done via application after the fact?

YAY!

Congrats!

You heard back from UCLA so quickly! I went complete at the same time and am still waiting to hear. Did you get a phone call, email, or snail mail from them?

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:24 pm

snichols16 wrote:
Congrats!

You heard back from UCLA so quickly! I went complete at the same time and am still waiting to hear. Did you get a phone call, email, or snail mail from them?

Phone call from both UCLA and Irvine. And yeah, UCLA was really fast. I think I heard back from them something like 10 days after I submitted my app. Irvine seemed pretty quick too all things considered, given how long many people seem to be stuck waiting (for Irvine or other schools in general).

Really excited about both of these though!

adamdroog

Postby adamdroog » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Admitted via phone call today. Missed the initial call yesterday, called back today. I am also curious about scholarship offers over and above the 1/3 tuition.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:44 pm

I sat in on Dean Chemerinsky's class today (and also took a tour), and absolutely loved the experience. The students went out of their way to answer my questions, and I was also able to talk to a few 2Ls as well. The school seems to attract friendly, down-to-earth students and the atmosphere definitely reflects that; it was so great to be in a place where everyone knows everyone else's name. I was also impressed by how involved the Career Development Office is in each students life; from what I understand, as a 1L you are expected to meet with them during your first semester, and if you don't come in, they make it a point to find you. They want to know your interests and get you on the right track for finding a job when you graduate. Overall, a great experience, and I am looking forward to going to ASD to meet more people.

jck4487

Postby jck4487 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:29 pm

conroyc wrote:I sat in on Dean Chemerinsky's class today (and also took a tour), and absolutely loved the experience. The students went out of their way to answer my questions, and I was also able to talk to a few 2Ls as well. The school seems to attract friendly, down-to-earth students and the atmosphere definitely reflects that; it was so great to be in a place where everyone knows everyone else's name. I was also impressed by how involved the Career Development Office is in each students life; from what I understand, as a 1L you are expected to meet with them during your first semester, and if you don't come in, they make it a point to find you. They want to know your interests and get you on the right track for finding a job when you graduate. Overall, a great experience, and I am looking forward to going to ASD to meet more people.

I bet Chemerinsky's class was amazing! It sounds like the career development office has an amzing staff as well. I am excited for ASD! It turns out Wicked is in LA that week--I think I'm going to go see it while I'm there.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:18 pm

Congrats Sanguar and adamroog!!

Conroyc - Dean c is pretty awesome! Sorry I didn't see you today. But I am glad you met some of the students in our class. UCI is a good place to be.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:45 am

UCI2013 - Thanks!

I'm looking forward to coming out there for the admitted students day(s) if I can. Does anybody know how travel $ works for that? During my admit call the guy mentioned that there was travel $ available and said that more details would come in the mail later. Anybody have the details? I know I could just wait but I need to start making some tentative plans as soon as I can, so I need to know if I'll even be able to afford to make the trip.

uci2013

Postby uci2013 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:43 pm

sanguar wrote:UCI2013 - Thanks!

I'm looking forward to coming out there for the admitted students day(s) if I can. Does anybody know how travel $ works for that? During my admit call the guy mentioned that there was travel $ available and said that more details would come in the mail later. Anybody have the details? I know I could just wait but I need to start making some tentative plans as soon as I can, so I need to know if I'll even be able to afford to make the trip.

Last year it was $100 for in-state people, not sure how much for out of state. An idea has been tossed around to get a list together of current students that have couches, sleeping bags etc where admits could crash instead of needing to stay in a hotel. If i remember I spent $100/night last year at a UCI discount rate for a nearby hotel with a shuttle to campus and back (so no car needed).

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:11 pm

uci2013 wrote:
Last year it was $100 for in-state people, not sure how much for out of state. An idea has been tossed around to get a list together of current students that have couches, sleeping bags etc where admits could crash instead of needing to stay in a hotel. If i remember I spent $100/night last year at a UCI discount rate for a nearby hotel with a shuttle to campus and back (so no car needed).

LOVE that idea. Part of my problem is that I'm going to be in LA a couple of weeks earlier (for UCLA's ASD), and, though UCLA straight-up bought my plane ticket, I have to pay for a hotel. (I don't have enough time to see UCI while I'm out there to see UCLA.) These trips can be pretty expensive, but if UCI can pick up most or all of my plane ticket, and I could find a couch to sleep on, that would make me feel a LOT better about the ancillary expenses associated with a second trip to LA so close to the first.

ucilawinsider

Postby ucilawinsider » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:54 pm

Happy to honestly answer any q's about UCI. Email ucilawinsider@gmail.com

lfp

Postby lfp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Hello - I'm an admitted applicant, and wondering if/when I would know if I'm receiving merit aid beyond the 1/3 tuition? I have yet to receive my admit packet in the mail, so would it be in there? This was my first acceptance, so I'm a little new to the protocol. Thanks!

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:36 pm

lfp wrote:Hello - I'm an admitted applicant, and wondering if/when I would know if I'm receiving merit aid beyond the 1/3 tuition? I have yet to receive my admit packet in the mail, so would it be in there? This was my first acceptance, so I'm a little new to the protocol. Thanks!

When I got my admissions call the guy said that all the info would come later, but I'm curious about this too. Do we have to apply for additional funds beyond the 1/3? Still waiting on my admit packet too, but I'm anxious to know about this stuff with them. There seems to be less wisdom "floating in the ether" about Irvine (for obvious reasons) to draw upon.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:14 pm

Updated Info: So I just got the admitted student's letter today. In the body of the letter (the form part that everybody gets), it mentions that information about additional funding possibilities will come in a separate mailing later from the financial aid office. At the end of the letter, in a handwritten note, it said that they were increasing my 1/3 to 1/2.

So it looks like some information will/may come in the admitted student's letter (the handwritten part), and some information will come from the office of financial aid in a separate mailing.

lfp

Postby lfp » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:23 pm

sanguar wrote:Updated Info: So I just got the admitted student's letter today. In the body of the letter (the form part that everybody gets), it mentions that information about additional funding possibilities will come in a separate mailing later from the financial aid office. At the end of the letter, in a handwritten note, it said that they were increasing my 1/3 to 1/2.

So it looks like some information will/may come in the admitted student's letter (the handwritten part), and some information will come from the office of financial aid in a separate mailing.

Thanks for that! Now I'm excited to get my packet later this week... When did you get your acceptance call? Mine was Wednesday.

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:35 pm

lfp wrote:
Thanks for that! Now I'm excited to get my packet later this week... When did you get your acceptance call? Mine was Wednesday.

Mine was Wednesday too IIRC. The days last week kind of blurred together for me.

williams55

Postby williams55 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:38 pm

just checking in about financial aid. My admit packet didn't have anything, but I got an email later that raised scholarship offer to 1/2 tuition.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:50 pm

williams55 wrote:just checking in about financial aid. My admit packet didn't have anything, but I got an email later that raised scholarship offer to 1/2 tuition.

Thanks for the info! I wonder if anyone has received a scholarship beyond 1/2 tuition?

sanguar

Postby sanguar » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:58 pm

conroyc wrote:
Thanks for the info! I wonder if anyone has received a scholarship beyond 1/2 tuition?

That'd be interesting to know. Also wonder if they're willing to negotiate at all, and if so, what other schools they consider to be their "peers" against whose offers they'd negotiate? My one big worry with Irvine (well, probably almost everybody's big worry), is that we don't know how their ranking will turn out, and so we don't know what kind of reputation our shiny UCI-Law degree will carry around with it. Choosing Irvine thus means choosing a fair amount of risk. If one has a similar offer (in terms of COA) from a school in the 11-20 range, then you're looking at similar COA but with considerably less risk.

One way to mitigate the risk is to put some extra $ on the table so that COA at Irvine drops considerably below the COA at other schools, so even if Irvine doesn't get ranked as highly as one might hope, at least you don't have nearly as much debt as you would otherwise.

Thus my interest in negotiation. I've got approx 1/2 offers from UCLA and Texas. I know what I'm getting for my $ there, reputation wise, and I know reasonably well how far those degrees might carry me. Even though Irvine looks awesome, a 1/2 offer at Irvine puts COA at approx the same as at UCLA or Texas (actually a 1/2 at Texas puts COA considerably lower given cost-of-living differences). I think it would take more than 1/2 at Irvine to get me to be willing to take the risks associated.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”