Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BeaverHunter
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby BeaverHunter » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:59 am

After going complete 3/9 GSU finally made a decision on my application. I was accepted to PT nights (my first choice), very excited. Stats are 168 LSAT, 2.49 GPA. Good luck to those who have not yet heard back. Status checker was updated, I did not receive an email.

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby Bill Cosby » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:04 am

For the love of God, don't attend John Marshall.

pinkedelweiss
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby pinkedelweiss » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:33 am

Ahhhh still going nuts waiting to hear!!!


Bill Cosby wrote:For the love of God, don't attend John Marshall.

I wouldn't say that to someone, each person's situation is specific! John Marshall gave me a scholarship that would bring the cost down to the same as GSU, and I seriously considered going there, because I didn't have to take out loans as opposed to a place like UNC which is much better, but would be soo much more expensive!
And, some people don't mind being public defenders or not getting a job at a large law firm, which is what would happen if you go to John Marshall...

User avatar
twocuphabit
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby twocuphabit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 am

@BeaverHunter When did you get the decision?

User avatar
twocuphabit
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby twocuphabit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:01 pm

pinkedelweiss wrote:John Marshall gave me a scholarship that would bring the cost down to the same as GSU...


Thank you for saying this! I went back to the status checker on a lark and saw "John E. Ryan Scholarship Letter". It shows as sent yesterday, the same day as my acceptance packet. :) I'll let you folks know how I did when it arrives.

User avatar
twocuphabit
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby twocuphabit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:04 pm

Strange! I just logged into the status checker for GSU and saw "Seat Deposit" in the Fees area. It wasn't there before. There's no date or amount due, just Seat Deposit, 0.00. Does anyone else see this? I've been In Review since 4/7.

BeaverHunter
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:05 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby BeaverHunter » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:16 pm

Decision this morning via status checker. No more obsessing over this for me :)

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby Bill Cosby » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:51 pm

pinkedelweiss wrote:Ahhhh still going nuts waiting to hear!!!


Bill Cosby wrote:For the love of God, don't attend John Marshall.

I wouldn't say that to someone, each person's situation is specific! John Marshall gave me a scholarship that would bring the cost down to the same as GSU, and I seriously considered going there, because I didn't have to take out loans as opposed to a place like UNC which is much better, but would be soo much more expensive!
And, some people don't mind being public defenders or not getting a job at a large law firm, which is what would happen if you go to John Marshall...


No, going to John Marshall means you won't have a legal job at all in 90%+ of cases.

User avatar
twocuphabit
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby twocuphabit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:11 pm

Actually, in 2009, John Marshall had a placement rate of 90.5%. For GSU, it was 93%.

Please stop. Your comment are not helpful to anyone here.

User avatar
akealon
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:01 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby akealon » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:32 pm

BeaverHunter wrote:After going complete 3/9 GSU finally made a decision on my application. I was accepted to PT nights (my first choice), very excited. Stats are 168 LSAT, 2.49 GPA. Good luck to those who have not yet heard back. Status checker was updated, I did not receive an email.


This gives me some hope. I'm at a 2.86 GPA, but LSAT was only 156 (only decided to apply to law school in mid-december so limited prep time, which mitigated a tiny bit of the disappointment) and also applying for part time evening. Hopefully I'll see you in classes this fall.

For the John Marshall haters... The school is not *that* bad at all. My decision factor was cost and convenience based. Even with a possible scholarship to bring the rates down, GSU law building is all of 10-15 minutes from my office in Inman Park. That makes a huge difference when married and have kids and all that.

E: Also went complete on the same day (3/9)

pinkedelweiss
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby pinkedelweiss » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:35 pm

I was waitlisted :( Oh well, I will go there, if not this fall I will retake the LSAT and go next fall so the waitlist doesn't bother me too much....
My stats are 154/ 3.6 from Georgia Tech...
I need to retake that LSAT!!

User avatar
twocuphabit
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby twocuphabit » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:01 pm

I just checked, and I was waitlisted, too. :(

Does anyone have any info about whether they'll tell you your place, when they pull, etc? For those that have recently been admitted, when is your deposit deadline?

uwgbluedevil
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby uwgbluedevil » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:49 pm

I hope all of you are able to get off the waitlist. good luck.

gotcha
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:49 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby gotcha » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
pinkedelweiss wrote:Ahhhh still going nuts waiting to hear!!!


Bill Cosby wrote:For the love of God, don't attend John Marshall.

I wouldn't say that to someone, each person's situation is specific! John Marshall gave me a scholarship that would bring the cost down to the same as GSU, and I seriously considered going there, because I didn't have to take out loans as opposed to a place like UNC which is much better, but would be soo much more expensive!
And, some people don't mind being public defenders or not getting a job at a large law firm, which is what would happen if you go to John Marshall...


No, going to John Marshall means you won't have a legal job at all in 90%+ of cases.


I don't know how I found my way here but a quick google search solves this debate:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... hool-03192

33% employed at graduation, total.

abc5667
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby abc5667 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:23 pm

.
Last edited by abc5667 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Roxybsr
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby Roxybsr » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:53 pm

I just checked...I was waitlisted. :(
The wait continues...
Last edited by Roxybsr on Tue May 03, 2011 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

abc5667
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby abc5667 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:57 pm

I hate when schools send you a fee waiver and get you all excited, but then reject you anyway.. I already go to GSU and is graduating magna cum laude with 157 lsat. and i was rejected.. so crushed.. don't know how I'm going to explain to my parents that I'm not going to law school in the fall anymore. I'm in at mercer, but i don't really want to go there.. sucks. I wish I had been waitlisted rather than flat out rejected. :( Gonna study hard for lsats this summer.

clemson09
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby clemson09 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:14 am

My seat deposit is due the 26th...

uwgbluedevil
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby uwgbluedevil » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:26 pm

clemson09 wrote:My seat deposit is due the 26th...


Did you get your situation figured out about part-time versus full-time?

antneymatt
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby antneymatt » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:17 pm

I received the letter a few weeks ago that I would be placed on the waitlist. I just checked today and the status changed to "priority waitlist". Does anyone else have this? Is "priority waitlist" different than the normal waitlist?

User avatar
twocuphabit
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby twocuphabit » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:17 pm

antneymatt wrote:I received the letter a few weeks ago that I would be placed on the waitlist. I just checked today and the status changed to "priority waitlist". Does anyone else have this? Is "priority waitlist" different than the normal waitlist?


Don't have it, but that sounds like a good (different) thing! :)

User avatar
Roxybsr
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:38 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby Roxybsr » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:05 pm

twocuphabit wrote:
antneymatt wrote:I received the letter a few weeks ago that I would be placed on the waitlist. I just checked today and the status changed to "priority waitlist". Does anyone else have this? Is "priority waitlist" different than the normal waitlist?


Don't have it, but that sounds like a good (different) thing! :)



Wow... You received an actual letter? and 'Priority Waitlist'? I agree seems like a good thing. I only found out via status checker that I was on the wait list. Good Luck!

clemson09
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby clemson09 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:29 am

No, I haven't figured out the PT vs FT thing... As you would expect admissions is slammed and they said they would address my questions in time, but I would have to wait.

When you receive the admissions packet there is a Schedule Selection form to fill out, I think I may just indicate that I want full-time on that and see how it goes...

User avatar
twocuphabit
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby twocuphabit » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:22 pm

I was able to sit down with the Director of Admissions today. If you have been waitlisted, or have not received a decision, I might be able to shed some light on your situation. I don't believe any of the information shared with me was confidential, but I don't want to post it here. Just PM me.

User avatar
massattack
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby massattack » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:43 pm

I've had an interesting debate about this...I don't know if it has been discussed on this thread:

Would you take GSU full ride over Emory 1/2 scholarship?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”