Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mbutterfly

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby mbutterfly » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:52 pm

any more questions for a GSU 1L? happy to answer.

zreinhar

Postby zreinhar » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:55 pm

GSU reappliant here. Got in last year with a small scholarship and ended up withdrawing and am back here again ;) As far as scholarships they are few and far between. I got one simply because of IP, I was an alternate for the full ride and withdrew back in July. I went complete about a week ago. Let's see how it goes... As for the in-state-edness you basically get it after a year. It's the same with UGA too... (resident ATLien here, Fulton FTW!) Barbie, not to creep out but did you go to Chattahoochee for HS? My wife and many friends went there...

zrcm18

Postby zrcm18 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:09 pm

GSU is taking way too long to roll out decisions....

TT09

Postby TT09 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:11 pm

zrcm18 wrote:GSU is taking way too long to roll out decisions....

+1

athenian

Postby athenian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:21 pm

I e-mailed them at the start of November about a fee waiver. Never heard back. Sent another e-mail two weeks ago. Still no word from them.

As it stands, I'm "in review" at UGA. I'm going to wait on a decision there until I fork over the app fee for Georgia State.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:26 pm

athenian wrote:I e-mailed them at the start of November about a fee waiver. Never heard back. Sent another e-mail two weeks ago. Still no word from them.

As it stands, I'm "in review" at UGA. I'm going to wait on a decision there until I fork over the app fee for Georgia State.

I had to call @ 3-4 times to get my fee waiver.

athenian

Postby athenian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:30 pm

Barbie wrote:
athenian wrote:I e-mailed them at the start of November about a fee waiver. Never heard back. Sent another e-mail two weeks ago. Still no word from them.

I had to call @ 3-4 times to get my fee waiver.

Way too much effort. Especially when every other school I e-mailed had the technological savvy to send a response.

EDIT: I called and they gave me one. Finally.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:50 pm

I visited and they gave me one. I emailed them an admissions question and it seemed to get re routed through some automatic reply system that sent me an email that did not answer my question at all.

buckyj420

Postby buckyj420 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:05 pm

I've been looking around and I am having a hard time finding out what their "cost of attendance" is. Has anybody found this information?

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:39 pm

buckyj420 wrote:I've been looking around and I am having a hard time finding out what their "cost of attendance" is. Has anybody found this information?

http://law.gsu.edu/admissions/3198.html

buckyj420

Postby buckyj420 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:42 pm

I saw that but I was referring to (tuition + room and board). Thank you any way.

athenian

Postby athenian » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:45 am

buckyj420 wrote:I saw that but I was referring to (tuition + room and board). Thank you any way.

Poke around Craigslist to get a feel for apartment prices. The places right around the law school aren't that great, but there are tons of apartments in Atlanta in really nice sections of town with access to MARTA.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:47 pm

athenian wrote:
buckyj420 wrote:I saw that but I was referring to (tuition + room and board). Thank you any way.

Poke around Craigslist to get a feel for apartment prices. The places right around the law school aren't that great, but there are tons of apartments in Atlanta in really nice sections of town with access to MARTA.

You can find amazingly cheap and nice places to live near downtown (Old 4th ward for example) Or you can live farther away in more expensive and crappy apartment and probably have more of a chance of getting your car broken into / robbed.

Bill Cosby

Postby Bill Cosby » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:13 pm

Sandro777 wrote:
athenian wrote:

You can find amazingly cheap and nice places to live near downtown (Old 4th ward for example) Or you can live farther away in more expensive and crappy apartment and probably have more of a chance of getting your car broken into / robbed.

Really? From my experiences, living downtown is far more expensive and less safe than living in say the Highlands or certain parts of Decatur.

athenian

Postby athenian » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:33 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:
athenian wrote:

Really? From my experiences, living downtown is far more expensive and less safe than living in say the Highlands or certain parts of Decatur.

TITCR. Highlands and Decatur are going to be cheaper AND safer than Downtown. If you want a place that's right on the MARTA line but away from the seedy parts of downtown, take a look at Lindbergh Station.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:39 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:
athenian wrote:

Last edited by Sandro on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm not sure if this will help at all, but here is what they budgeted for me last year beyond tuition and fees:

Books and Supplies $750.00
Living Expenses $10,986.00
Transportation $1,740.00

If your concern is getting your COA increased to allow for more loans, you can apply to have your budget increased for a variety of reasons - medical, higher rent, utilities, etc. You turn in a form with proof of your expenses, then you wait a few days (up to a couple of weeks, but usually much sooner) to hear whether or not you got your budget increased. They only let you do it starting sometime in July.

As has been mentioned, you can live within a short commute pretty cheaply. Living "downtown" may not be ideal, but people's definition of "downtown" may differ. You can live within a 5 to 10 minute car ride very cheaply and safely. It would also be possible to go without a car if you set things up right. Obviously, check Craigslist to get an idea of the price range and know that you'll probably want to avoid the cheapest places.

buckyj420

Postby buckyj420 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks for the information Connelly, that was exactly what I was looking for.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:08 pm

An email from 25 seconds ago states that they will begin officially reviewing applications in January. Perhaps they have unofficially been reviewing applications already?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:18 pm

NonTradHealthLaw wrote:An email from 25 seconds ago states that they will begin officially reviewing applications in January. Perhaps they have unofficially been reviewing applications already?

When I took a tour the said that was correct. She said they dont get around to apps until late dec and with the holidays it ends up January before decisions go out.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:32 pm

does anyone want to make guesses on when GSU decisions will roll out ?

according to LSN some decisions went out in Dec last year (none this year). Some came first week Jan. I'm betting GSU will roll out some decisions this week seeing as they are a little behind compared to last year.
Last edited by Sandro on Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JaLeCa

Postby JaLeCa » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:35 pm

Sandro777 wrote:Also how does everyone feel about GSU ? The law school itself is a 6 story building on campus with everything self contained in it. I feel like going to GSU compared to a more traditional style campus/school would be a completely different experience.

From a GSU grad- it sucks. Someone gets robbed on campus everyday. Proceed with caution.

rockyIV

Postby rockyIV » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:46 pm

I checked my status this afternoon and it changed to decision made, and underneath it said accepted. I went complete around the third of December and the decision was made today, 01/04. Good luck to everyone.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:46 pm

rockyIV wrote:I checked my status this afternoon and it changed to decision made, and underneath it said accepted. I went complete around the third of December and the decision was made today, 01/04. Good luck to everyone.

Congrats! You mind sharing your numbers?

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:48 pm

rockyIV wrote:I checked my status this afternoon and it changed to decision made, and underneath it said accepted. I went complete around the third of December and the decision was made today, 01/04. Good luck to everyone.

Awesome, congrats! Just checked mine and ditto!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”