Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
uwgbluedevil
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby uwgbluedevil » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:26 pm

took some pictures on my visit Monday. not much to really look at visually, but thought people who were considering Georgia St. might at least like to have an idea of what the school looks like. Most of them are from the library.

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Lullyn
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby Lullyn » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:13 pm

uwgbluedevil wrote:took some pictures on my visit Monday. not much to really look at visually, but thought people who were considering Georgia St. might at least like to have an idea of what the school looks like. Most of them are from the library.


What were your overall impressions? Can you compare to UGA? I've only taken a semi-tour at UGA, which the pics look like GSU has perhaps a newer environment but nothing too impressive (UGA's library looked way nicer from what I remember).

I drove by GSU a few weeks ago and there did seem to be some shady characters around (2pm) though the public deck seemed relatively safe. My main concern with GSU is not getting that campus feel. The only other tour I've taken was of Arkansas which has had the most updated campus/classrooms so far. I'm leaning instate though :(

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby Sandro » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:06 pm

I think its pretty safe to say you won't get a "campus feel" at GSU. Its in downtown Atlanta.

uwgbluedevil
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby uwgbluedevil » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Yeah it is definitely way different than UGA which I feel has much nicer facilities. The library at UGA did seem much nicer, but according to people there, after 1L, most people tend to not use it that much anyway. The mock courtroom was pretty nice, however I didnt take any pictures of it. Sandro is right about the campus atmosphere, there really isnt one. There were tons of students walking around in mid afternoon after the daytime 1L's finish up with their classes so it felt safe at that time, although I cant really speak to after it gets dark. Its about a 5-10 minute walk to Five Points if you use MARTA which was very convenient. Overall it was a good visit, the professors were great, pretty laid back and open to questions/concerns anyone had. If anyone has any specific questions, I can try to answer them. I'm also looking for a roommate for summer/fall and if anyone was interested or at least can point me in the right direction, please PM me.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby pinkcamellia » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:14 pm

In today! :D

NonTradHealthLaw
Posts: 401
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Great pics, UWG. Thanks for sharing those.

UWG and I were there at the same time, coincidentally. I mimic his thoughts about the unremarkable facilities yet great professors. Happy to see the student athletic center was right across the street - convenient for a mid-day workout.

mgbp0
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby mgbp0 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:09 am

uwgbluedevil wrote:Yeah it is definitely way different than UGA which I feel has much nicer facilities. The library at UGA did seem much nicer, but according to people there, after 1L, most people tend to not use it that much anyway. The mock courtroom was pretty nice, however I didnt take any pictures of it. Sandro is right about the campus atmosphere, there really isnt one. There were tons of students walking around in mid afternoon after the daytime 1L's finish up with their classes so it felt safe at that time, although I cant really speak to after it gets dark. Its about a 5-10 minute walk to Five Points if you use MARTA which was very convenient. Overall it was a good visit, the professors were great, pretty laid back and open to questions/concerns anyone had. If anyone has any specific questions, I can try to answer them. I'm also looking for a roommate for summer/fall and if anyone was interested or at least can point me in the right direction, please PM me.



The GSU Marta station is right next to the law school- no need to use five points.

uwgbluedevil
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby uwgbluedevil » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:03 pm

mgbp0 wrote:
uwgbluedevil wrote:Yeah it is definitely way different than UGA which I feel has much nicer facilities. The library at UGA did seem much nicer, but according to people there, after 1L, most people tend to not use it that much anyway. The mock courtroom was pretty nice, however I didnt take any pictures of it. Sandro is right about the campus atmosphere, there really isnt one. There were tons of students walking around in mid afternoon after the daytime 1L's finish up with their classes so it felt safe at that time, although I cant really speak to after it gets dark. Its about a 5-10 minute walk to Five Points if you use MARTA which was very convenient. Overall it was a good visit, the professors were great, pretty laid back and open to questions/concerns anyone had. If anyone has any specific questions, I can try to answer them. I'm also looking for a roommate for summer/fall and if anyone was interested or at least can point me in the right direction, please PM me.



The GSU Marta station is right next to the law school- no need to use five points.


If you need to take the northbound train would going to the GSU station first actually save you any time since you will have to make a transfer at Five Points anyway?

jbhotrails
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby jbhotrails » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Does going to GSU pretty much limit all future job opportunities to the state of GA? Or do some people find jobs elsewhere??

uwgbluedevil
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby uwgbluedevil » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:37 pm

jbhotrails wrote:Does going to GSU pretty much limit all future job opportunities to the state of GA? Or do some people find jobs elsewhere??


the student who conducted the interview said they know like half a dozen former students who have gone out of state for jobs, but i dont remember her specifying where exactly. However, I wouldnt go to GSU expecting to go out-of-state unless you have really strong connections elsewhere. jmo.

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:39 pm

uwgbluedevil wrote:
jbhotrails wrote:Does going to GSU pretty much limit all future job opportunities to the state of GA? Or do some people find jobs elsewhere??


the student who conducted the interview said they know like half a dozen former students who have gone out of state for jobs, but i dont remember her specifying where exactly. However, I wouldnt go to GSU expecting to go out-of-state unless you have really strong connections elsewhere. jmo.


+1 - the woman I spoke to said around 20 may have gone OOS, and mostly to Alabama(Birmingham), South Carolina or another state where they had ties.

jsimp
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:53 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby jsimp » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:05 pm

Went complete 1/25 ~ received an email today saying "your file will be placed on hold until a further review is complete." Check online status and it says that "Second Review Pending"

Does everyone get a second review or are some people rejected?

I really want to go to GSU, would sending an email of interest help at all?

User avatar
pinkcamellia
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby pinkcamellia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 pm

jsimp wrote:Went complete 1/25 ~ received an email today saying "your file will be placed on hold until a further review is complete." Check online status and it says that "Second Review Pending"

Does everyone get a second review or are some people rejected?

I really want to go to GSU, would sending an email of interest help at all?


I never went under review. Knowing your numbers will help. If they're unusually high, I have heard that in the past they will put these people on hold/second review to gauge their true interest. If your numbers are below median, I would send a LOCI. Also, residency in Georgia may help if you are a bit below.

Try lawschoolpredictor too - they had me at consider but I got in :)

mgbp0
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby mgbp0 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:25 pm

uwgbluedevil wrote:
mgbp0 wrote:
uwgbluedevil wrote:Yeah it is definitely way different than UGA which I feel has much nicer facilities. The library at UGA did seem much nicer, but according to people there, after 1L, most people tend to not use it that much anyway. The mock courtroom was pretty nice, however I didnt take any pictures of it. Sandro is right about the campus atmosphere, there really isnt one. There were tons of students walking around in mid afternoon after the daytime 1L's finish up with their classes so it felt safe at that time, although I cant really speak to after it gets dark. Its about a 5-10 minute walk to Five Points if you use MARTA which was very convenient. Overall it was a good visit, the professors were great, pretty laid back and open to questions/concerns anyone had. If anyone has any specific questions, I can try to answer them. I'm also looking for a roommate for summer/fall and if anyone was interested or at least can point me in the right direction, please PM me.



The GSU Marta station is right next to the law school- no need to use five points.


If you need to take the northbound train would going to the GSU station first actually save you any time since you will have to make a transfer at Five Points anyway?



If you're traveling at peak times (7-9 am and 5-7pm), then yes. Switching at Five Points is a good decision because at that point, trains are coming very often, and it literally takes 45 seconds to go from Five Points to the GSU station on the train.

However, if something is broken, or say someone jumps in front of a train and all rails are shut down (happened 2 weeks ago), or it's in the middle of the day, it can be faster to get off at Five Points and walk to campus. But that's only the case if you've missed the train by a few seconds, or something itsn't working.

I really don't know anyone who got off at Five Points. Ever. Unless something was broken. I also DO NOT RECOMMEND walking to/from Five Points once it gets dark.

uwgbluedevil
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby uwgbluedevil » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:10 pm

mgbp0 wrote:
uwgbluedevil wrote:
mgbp0 wrote:
uwgbluedevil wrote:Yeah it is definitely way different than UGA which I feel has much nicer facilities. The library at UGA did seem much nicer, but according to people there, after 1L, most people tend to not use it that much anyway. The mock courtroom was pretty nice, however I didnt take any pictures of it. Sandro is right about the campus atmosphere, there really isnt one. There were tons of students walking around in mid afternoon after the daytime 1L's finish up with their classes so it felt safe at that time, although I cant really speak to after it gets dark. Its about a 5-10 minute walk to Five Points if you use MARTA which was very convenient. Overall it was a good visit, the professors were great, pretty laid back and open to questions/concerns anyone had. If anyone has any specific questions, I can try to answer them. I'm also looking for a roommate for summer/fall and if anyone was interested or at least can point me in the right direction, please PM me.



The GSU Marta station is right next to the law school- no need to use five points.


If you need to take the northbound train would going to the GSU station first actually save you any time since you will have to make a transfer at Five Points anyway?



If you're traveling at peak times (7-9 am and 5-7pm), then yes. Switching at Five Points is a good decision because at that point, trains are coming very often, and it literally takes 45 seconds to go from Five Points to the GSU station on the train.

However, if something is broken, or say someone jumps in front of a train and all rails are shut down (happened 2 weeks ago), or it's in the middle of the day, it can be faster to get off at Five Points and walk to campus. But that's only the case if you've missed the train by a few seconds, or something itsn't working.

I really don't know anyone who got off at Five Points. Ever. Unless something was broken. I also DO NOT RECOMMEND walking to/from Five Points once it gets dark.



thanks for the recommendation.

antneymatt
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:58 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby antneymatt » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:22 am

jsimp wrote:Went complete 1/25 ~ received an email today saying "your file will be placed on hold until a further review is complete." Check online status and it says that "Second Review Pending"

Does everyone get a second review or are some people rejected?

I really want to go to GSU, would sending an email of interest help at all?



I just received the same email today. This may be a way for them to gauge how interested you are, but it's more likely because they have extended a lot of offers already. When students begin to make their decisions they will fill in from the second review.

Not sure if I'm happy about this or not, at least it's not a rejection.

lawschool12345
Posts: 283
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby lawschool12345 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:52 am

in review 1/25

3.65 158 from ny

CooleyReject
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:12 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby CooleyReject » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:56 pm

So I am curious how GSU goes about informing folks if they receive a scholarship. I applied somewhat late (1/15 ish), but I've been accepted and my numbers are 172/3.5x. So is it a phone call or snail mail? Does it generally follow closely behind acceptances? Frankly I'm slightly concerned my campus mail might have managed to lose it.

User avatar
enida10
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby enida10 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:59 pm

antneymatt wrote:
jsimp wrote:Went complete 1/25 ~ received an email today saying "your file will be placed on hold until a further review is complete." Check online status and it says that "Second Review Pending"

Does everyone get a second review or are some people rejected?

I really want to go to GSU, would sending an email of interest help at all?



I just received the same email today. This may be a way for them to gauge how interested you are, but it's more likely because they have extended a lot of offers already. When students begin to make their decisions they will fill in from the second review.

Not sure if I'm happy about this or not, at least it's not a rejection.


I got this same e-mail. I applied the beginning of January, am above the 75% on LSAT, but a not-so-great GPA. With this e-mail, I'm all paranoid about my application. Did I put something in there they didn't like? Is that why I haven't heard anything back from my other schools, schools that I applied to in November!?

Obviously, I need to quit obsessing, but it began with the LSAT and it's hard to quit. I hope it's just a scheme to weed out the non-interested ones, but COME ON!

Kainmacbeth
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby Kainmacbeth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:26 am

My UR changed from 2/6 to 2/15. I really hope they are about to make some decisions this week!

tropicalpeach
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:24 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby tropicalpeach » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:31 am

My UR date changed, too! Complete 1/25, UR 2/2, UR 2/15.... In-state. 167, 2.9

Kainmacbeth
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:06 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby Kainmacbeth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:37 am

tropicalpeach wrote:My UR date changed, too! Complete 1/25, UR 2/2, UR 2/15.... In-state. 167, 2.9


Good luck! Looks like Wednesday mornings are the day their committee has been releasing acceptances. I hope this holds true for us.

uwgbluedevil
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:02 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby uwgbluedevil » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:21 pm

Good luck to you all!

chardy
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby chardy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:26 pm

Just got an e-mail denying me today. 159/ 3.6. In-state. :(

User avatar
enida10
Posts: 75
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:20 am

Re: Georgia State University - 2011 Applicants

Postby enida10 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:29 pm

chardy wrote:Just got an e-mail denying me today. 159/ 3.6. In-state. :(


Wow. That surprises me. Sorry to hear that!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aprince0122, JordanLaw15, LawSchoolTitan and 13 guests