I need a status check aggregator

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

I need a status check aggregator

Postby trudat15 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:34 am

I'm sick and tired of signing in to a million different status checkers every day. I need one place where I can see all of my status checks. There has to be some kid out there mad at his girlfriend and drunk ready to have a little law school fun. Right? Anyone?

User avatar
slax
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby slax » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:08 pm

I saw in another thread on TLS that someone made an aggregator in the past but LSAC forced them to shut it down.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18425
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby bk1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:25 pm

trudat15 wrote:I'm sick and tired of signing in to a million different status checkers every day.

Then don't sign sign in to a million status checkers every day.

/thread

trudat15
Posts: 900
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby trudat15 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:46 pm

bk1 wrote:
trudat15 wrote:I'm sick and tired of signing in to a million different status checkers every day.

Then don't sign sign in to a million status checkers every day.

/thread


Then how am I to obsessively check my statuses for every school whenever there is an update in any of these threads?

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:17 pm

Would you guys have any interest in an Android/iPhone app for this? I was contemplating making one...

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:23 pm

i would like to know, but im going to force myself to just wait until i get the email or snail mail....


well see how long that lasts though

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:23 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:Would you guys have any interest in an Android/iPhone app for this? I was contemplating making one...


You can't. The status checker log into the right school's checker by checking the referrer. Unless you are just going to make it into a collection of links then you just need a page not an app.

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:Would you guys have any interest in an Android/iPhone app for this? I was contemplating making one...


You can't. The status checker log into the right school's checker by checking the referrer. Unless you are just going to make it into a collection of links then you just need a page not an app.


Couldn't you have it log in behind the scenes and clean up the interface? That's what I was thinking to do.

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:38 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:Would you guys have any interest in an Android/iPhone app for this? I was contemplating making one...


You can't. The status checker log into the right school's checker by checking the referrer. Unless you are just going to make it into a collection of links then you just need a page not an app.


Hypothetically, you could write an application that contained the referring URLs to each LSAC status checker, and then users could select the schools, which would all be queried using the login credentials and then have the results returned. If you got crazy with it, you could even store a basic database of "most recent statuses," and then have Status Aggregator compare/contrast the newly acquired data (today's status) with the old statuses, and then only display new information.

Of course, if LSAC changed things up off of someone running a non-profit multi-status checker, they'd probably go apeshit over someone selling smartphone applications.

Also, this would do nothing for the non-LSAC status (e.g., Vandy, UTexas).


I don't see how the LSAC could have any right to control something like that. It's just a different way of viewing something that's already there

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:41 pm

There is no API to query and return a standard output so you would have to parse the html output to get the status info. It's too much trouble than it's worth. It takes me 30 seconds to status check 10 schools so I don't really see the rationale in making anything other than a list of shortcuts.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:45 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:I don't see how the LSAC could have any right to control something like that. It's just a different way of viewing something that's already there


What???? You can't understand why a company/organization has the right to control access to a proprietary application system (that someone else is paying for)?

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:48 pm

r6_philly wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:I don't see how the LSAC could have any right to control something like that. It's just a different way of viewing something that's already there


What???? You can't understand why a company/organization has the right to control access to a proprietary application system (that someone else is paying for)?


I can access the site with my web browser. I can make a web browser to access the site. Why can't I make a clean interface that shows me the relevant data with a web browser underlying it?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:53 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:I don't see how the LSAC could have any right to control something like that. It's just a different way of viewing something that's already there


What???? You can't understand why a company/organization has the right to control access to a proprietary application system (that someone else is paying for)?


I can access the site with my web browser. I can make a web browser to access the site. Why can't I make a clean interface that shows me the relevant data with a web browser underlying it?


Because they don't want you to? They want you to access through the website only. I don't understand your point. You are an authorized user with a certain level of access and that's what you get. Why should they allow you the ability to make an app so you can charge $.99 in the app store?

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:02 pm

r6_philly wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:I don't see how the LSAC could have any right to control something like that. It's just a different way of viewing something that's already there


What???? You can't understand why a company/organization has the right to control access to a proprietary application system (that someone else is paying for)?


I can access the site with my web browser. I can make a web browser to access the site. Why can't I make a clean interface that shows me the relevant data with a web browser underlying it?


Because they don't want you to? They want you to access through the website only. I don't understand your point. You are an authorized user with a certain level of access and that's what you get. Why should they allow you the ability to make an app so you can charge $.99 in the app store?


What I'm saying is that it's not in any way requiring a different level of access or doing anything that isn't already possible, and permissible. By your logic, it would be within their right to tell me I can't make an excel spreadsheet with my current statuses by logging in to each individual one and copying the relevant data? That's essentially all this would be - a front-end for something that already exists.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:09 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Because they don't want you to? They want you to access through the website only. I don't understand your point. You are an authorized user with a certain level of access and that's what you get. Why should they allow you the ability to make an app so you can charge $.99 in the app store?


What I'm saying is that it's not in any way requiring a different level of access or doing anything that isn't already possible, and permissible. By your logic, it would be within their right to tell me I can't make an excel spreadsheet with my current statuses by logging in to each individual one and copying the relevant data? That's essentially all this would be - a front-end for something that already exists.


By allowing to interface with their server you are using their resources. By you putting in info (that you obtained through an authorized method) in an excel sheet, you are not using their resources. The line is drawn by whose resource is being used for business and liability reasons. The company providing you the service dictate how you can use their service and the information it provides you through a user agreement. It doesn't have to make sense, you agreed to it by using it whatever it is. If you don't agree, you are welcome to apply on paper and wait for a letter.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:10 pm

You have to understand the difference between "the service" and "the information". They are not controlling "the information", they are controlling "the service". Contracts are funny like that ;) future attorney.

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:You have to understand the difference between "the service" and "the information". They are not controlling "the information", they are controlling "the service". Contracts are funny like that ;) future attorney.


Yes, so pulling the "information" through the authorized "service" and aggregating the data on your own would be permissible.

App front end shows you the data. App back end is essentially a browser with a saved password.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:14 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:
r6_philly wrote:You have to understand the difference between "the service" and "the information". They are not controlling "the information", they are controlling "the service". Contracts are funny like that ;) future attorney.


Yes, so pulling the "information" through the authorized "service" and aggregating the data on your own would be permissible.

App front end shows you the data. App back end is essentially a browser with a saved password.


No. You don't understand "the service". They don't want to permit this. End of discussion. It is outside of the scope of the allowed service.

Well anyway, you don't think it make sense, but it doesn't have to be. They invested in the app, schools pay for it, and you are not allowed to use it that way.

User avatar
yoitsmebenny
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby yoitsmebenny » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:17 pm

r6_philly wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:
r6_philly wrote:You have to understand the difference between "the service" and "the information". They are not controlling "the information", they are controlling "the service". Contracts are funny like that ;) future attorney.


Yes, so pulling the "information" through the authorized "service" and aggregating the data on your own would be permissible.

App front end shows you the data. App back end is essentially a browser with a saved password.


No. You don't understand "the service". They don't want to permit this. End of discussion. It is outside of the scope of the allowed service.

Well anyway, you don't think it make sense, but it doesn't have to be. They invested in the app, schools pay for it, and you are not allowed to use it that way.


Enlighten me as to what exactly the service is then, if not a public web server allowing HTTPS traffic (which is what the app would be using).

User avatar
birD
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:49 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby birD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:21 pm

Would you guys have any interest in an Android/iPhone app for this? I was contemplating making one...


YES YES YES

User avatar
zworykin
Posts: 449
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 4:18 am

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby zworykin » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:04 am

yoitsmebenny wrote:Enlighten me as to what exactly the service is then, if not a public web server allowing HTTPS traffic (which is what the app would be using).


It's a web server allowing HTTPS traffic as long as someone is doing it the slow, manual way and not automating it. You don't understand why they care if you're requesting the information manually each time or via a program? That's fine. You just have to recognize that they do care, not understand why. It doesn't matter why. It's their server, so we play by their rules. Otherwise, they'll take their ball and go home, and then where will we be?

:D

Aggiegrad2011
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: I need a status check aggregator

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:08 am

In the LG and LR Bible, there is a distinction made between "THE LSAT WORLD" and "THE REAL WORLD." This is one of the cases of the former.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, CaptKangaroo, Chipotle85, cyclawps, Finickywalrus, flowering, Google [Bot], legallyadog, taxman14 and 14 guests