Pepperdine 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:32 pm

Sure. Finish your MBA and apply to law schools next year during your last year of business school. There is a kid who just graduated at Loyola who did just that. MBA at Pepperdine and then JD at Loyola. He was on Law Review with me. He is in his mid-30s. His name is Jared Wiedenbaum.

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:41 pm

Danteshek wrote:Sure. Finish your MBA and apply to law schools next year during your last year of business school. There is a kid who just graduated at Loyola who did just that. MBA at Pepperdine and then JD at Loyola. He was on Law Review with me. He is in his mid-30s. His name is Jared Wiedenbaum.


Is there any way to get the JD done in two years?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:48 pm

pure_mercury wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Sure. Finish your MBA and apply to law schools next year during your last year of business school. There is a kid who just graduated at Loyola who did just that. MBA at Pepperdine and then JD at Loyola. He was on Law Review with me. He is in his mid-30s. His name is Jared Wiedenbaum.


Is there any way to get the JD done in two years?


Only if you go to Southwestern. I do not recommend it. Go to Loyola. You'll benefit from the different experience/network.

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:33 pm

Danteshek wrote:
pure_mercury wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Sure. Finish your MBA and apply to law schools next year during your last year of business school. There is a kid who just graduated at Loyola who did just that. MBA at Pepperdine and then JD at Loyola. He was on Law Review with me. He is in his mid-30s. His name is Jared Wiedenbaum.


Is there any way to get the JD done in two years?


Only if you go to Southwestern. I do not recommend it. Go to Loyola. You'll benefit from the different experience/network.


How are they on the Entertainment/IP side of things? That is what I want. I don't even know if I will practice. I just really want to study law.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:40 pm

pure_mercury wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
pure_mercury wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Sure. Finish your MBA and apply to law schools next year during your last year of business school. There is a kid who just graduated at Loyola who did just that. MBA at Pepperdine and then JD at Loyola. He was on Law Review with me. He is in his mid-30s. His name is Jared Wiedenbaum.


Is there any way to get the JD done in two years?


Only if you go to Southwestern. I do not recommend it. Go to Loyola. You'll benefit from the different experience/network.


How are they on the Entertainment/IP side of things? That is what I want. I don't even know if I will practice. I just really want to study law.


I'm sorry I brought it up. DO NOT GO TO SOUTHWESTERN.

Understand?

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby PinkCow » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:42 pm

pure_mercury wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
pure_mercury wrote:
Danteshek wrote:Sure. Finish your MBA and apply to law schools next year during your last year of business school. There is a kid who just graduated at Loyola who did just that. MBA at Pepperdine and then JD at Loyola. He was on Law Review with me. He is in his mid-30s. His name is Jared Wiedenbaum.


Is there any way to get the JD done in two years?


Only if you go to Southwestern. I do not recommend it. Go to Loyola. You'll benefit from the different experience/network.


How are they on the Entertainment/IP side of things? That is what I want. I don't even know if I will practice. I just really want to study law.



This does not exist.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:45 pm

I must say that this guy is remarkably clueless for being almost 30. Speaks volumes of Graziado.

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:16 pm

I'm sorry I brought it up. DO NOT GO TO SOUTHWESTERN.

Understand?



Yes, I read you loud and clear. I don't really know anything about Southwestern other than the fact that they were e-mailing me a couple of times a week after my LSAT score came in.

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:18 pm

How are they on the Entertainment/IP side of things? That is what I want. I don't even know if I will practice. I just really want to study law.[/quote]


This does not exist.



What does not exist?

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:23 pm

Danteshek wrote:I must say that this guy is remarkably clueless for being almost 30. Speaks volumes of Graziado.


I am doing this pretty much on my own. I have no lawyers in my family, and only a few college graduates. Given my insane schedule during my first year of B-school, I really only spent the free time I had over Winter Break putting together my application materials. Everything I know about Pepperdine Law has come from the tour I took, their website, and the conversations I had with the JD/MBA students in my business classes. I never even saw this site until after I applied. I spoke to my career adviser about my plans, and he said to contact Janet Kerr from the Palmer Center. Reading about the Law and Entrepreneurship stuff is what got me excited in the first place. To be completely honest, I never even planned to get my MBA, but poverty and unemployment in L.A. sort of forced my hand. I was rejected from UCLA for their Entertainment and Media Management MBA program at Anderson (which would have been exactly what I was looking for, but was not a big surprise given my undergrad GPA and GMAT score), and Graziadio offered me a scholarship, so that's where I went.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby 071816 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:40 pm

pure_mercury wrote:I don't even know if I will practice. I just really want to study law.


You can't be fucking serious.

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:58 pm

chimp wrote:
pure_mercury wrote:I don't even know if I will practice. I just really want to study law.


You can't be fucking serious.


If I get in and love it, I will. But I want to know for sure. I know I would be good at it, but I want to know if I really have a burning desire to do it for a career. Most of the high-level entertainment executives I have met have either an MBA or a JD, and some of the younger ones now have both. I had to rearrange my life completely when I moved out here. It's time to figure out what I am going to do and then do it.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:24 am

If you decide you want to practice law, I suggest you finish what you started at Pepperdine and then go to Loyola for law school. Maybe consider the evening program and working at the same time. Presumably you will be able to get a job with an MBA.

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:27 am

Danteshek wrote:If you decide you want to practice law, I suggest you finish what you started at Pepperdine and then go to Loyola for law school. Maybe consider the evening program and working at the same time. Presumably you will be able to get a job with an MBA.


What would you consider the differences between the programs at Loyola and Pepperdine? How long would an evening program take? Is that really feasible if I am an assistant at an entertainment company working 50-60 hours a week?
Last edited by pure_mercury on Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:28 am

pure_mercury wrote:
Danteshek wrote:If you decide you want to practice law, I suggest you finish what you started at Pepperdine and then go to Loyola for law school. Maybe consider the evening program and working at the same time. Presumably you will be able to get a job with an MBA.


What would you consider the differences between the programs at Loyola and Pepperdine? How long would an evening program take?


Change of scenery. Programs are roughly the same. 4 years.

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:33 am

Danteshek wrote:
pure_mercury wrote:
Danteshek wrote:If you decide you want to practice law, I suggest you finish what you started at Pepperdine and then go to Loyola for law school. Maybe consider the evening program and working at the same time. Presumably you will be able to get a job with an MBA.


What would you consider the differences between the programs at Loyola and Pepperdine? How long would an evening program take?


Change of scenery. Programs are roughly the same. 4 years.


I definitely do not have 4 years on top of the 2 I would have spent on the MBA program. And I doubt I could give law school the proper attention if I am already working 10 hours a day. Might not even be able to make it to class. What time in the evening are those classes?

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:42 am

Evening classes start at 6:00 and 8:10. Lots of people do it. There are drawbacks to doing an evening program - generally evening students cannot get legal experience through internships because they have jobs. The benefit is that these students have real jobs and are accruing valuable professional experience while in school.

But the more I talk to you, the more I get the sense that you do not have drive to succeed in law school.

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:50 am

Danteshek wrote:Evening classes start at 6:00 and 8:10. Lots of people do it. There are drawbacks to doing an evening program - generally evening students cannot get legal experience through internships because they have jobs. The benefit is that these students have real jobs and are accruing valuable professional experience while in school.


I'd have to find a shit gig just to pay the bills, but I guess it's doable. I was really looking to study abroad through Pepperdine, too.


But the more I talk to you, the more I get the sense that you do not have drive to succeed in law school.


Dude, did you read what I went through to finish my first year of B-school? And I didn't even like most of those classes. I would tear law school up. I just don't want to be doing it until I'm 34. I have people relying on me to take care of them financially, so I need to start working. I have no capital to spend half a decade trying to get a job. I've never made more than $600 a week in my life. I don't have the options many grad students do.

User avatar
PinkCow
Posts: 786
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby PinkCow » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:52 am

pure_mercury wrote:Dude, did you read what I went through to finish my first year of B-school? And I didn't even like most of those classes. I would tear law school up. I just don't want to be doing it until I'm 34. I have people relying on me to take care of them financially, so I need to start working. I have no capital to spend half a decade trying to get a job. I've never made more than $600 a week in my life. I don't have the options many grad students do.



--ImageRemoved--

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:06 am

PinkCow wrote:
pure_mercury wrote:Dude, did you read what I went through to finish my first year of B-school? And I didn't even like most of those classes. I would tear law school up. I just don't want to be doing it until I'm 34. I have people relying on me to take care of them financially, so I need to start working. I have no capital to spend half a decade trying to get a job. I've never made more than $600 a week in my life. I don't have the options many grad students do.



--ImageRemoved--



Image

Danteshek
Posts: 2172
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:40 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Danteshek » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:16 am

You know what?

I think you would fit in well at Southwestern. Go do the 2-year SCALE program.

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:29 am

Danteshek wrote:You know what?

I think you would fit in well at Southwestern. Go do the 2-year SCALE program.


Fourth-tier law school sounds like more of a waste of time than anything. I want a challenge.

User avatar
irishvt14
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby irishvt14 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:59 am

pure_mercury wrote:
Danteshek wrote:You know what?

I think you would fit in well at Southwestern. Go do the 2-year SCALE program.


Fourth-tier law school sounds like more of a waste of time than anything. I want a challenge.


If admissions deems you qualified and deserving (and there is space), you will manage to get off the waitlist. You have to be patient and trust that you have done what you can. At a certain point you will just be annoying to them. Personally, I think applying to only one school when you "so badly want to study law" was a dumb choice and I question how much you really understand about this process. Additionally, while you might not care that you are starting to sound like an arrogant asshole to the people on this forum, you probably want to filter that if/when you get to school. Your classmates will hate you.
To recap: give it a week or two, research other options if you really want this, stop bragging about how smart and awesome you are. Good luck.

pure_mercury
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:01 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby pure_mercury » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:38 am

If admissions deems you qualified and deserving (and there is space), you will manage to get off the waitlist. You have to be patient and trust that you have done what you can. At a certain point you will just be annoying to them.


I don't like so many if's. I want to do everything possible that will be positive as a candidate. I don't being a little annoying if it shows I am serious. Obviously, I don't want to turn anyone off, but I am extremely polite. Mostly, I have just wanted more information and advice, since I am doing this on my own. Earlier in this thread, everyone was like "Keep up the contact, let them know you are still interested, etc." Was that bad advice?


Personally, I think applying to only one school when you "so badly want to study law" was a dumb choice and I question how much you really understand about this process. Additionally, while you might not care that you are starting to sound like an arrogant asshole to the people on this forum, you probably want to filter that if/when you get to school. Your classmates will hate you.


No offense, but the majority of people with whom I have interacted on this forum are extremely arrogant and none too helpful. I would like to have my classmates enjoy being around me, but I am not doing this to make friends with everyone. If this forum is any indication, I will probably continue to hang out with B-school friends (who are almost all really nice, outgoing, genuine people) as opposed to law school classmates.

As to the process, I DON'T completely understand the process, and the Pepperdine people have been pretty opaque thus far. I was told for months that the Admissions Committee would reconvene in July and that I would hear something then. They did, and I heard nothing. That freaked me out. Even a rejection would have been better than this. Until two weeks ago, NO ONE told me that you could be on the WL until the day classes begin.


To recap: give it a week or two, research other options if you really want this, stop bragging about how smart and awesome you are. Good luck.


Well, I highly doubt I could get into UCLA or USC, and I cannot leave L.A., so I don't really see anywhere worth going besides Pepperdine or Loyola. And, like I said, the monetary issues are a MAJOR restriction for me. As to how smart and awesome I am, I don't think I've said ANYTHING out of line at all. Sorry if it came off that way, but that was on the decoding end, not the coding end.

User avatar
irishvt14
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby irishvt14 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:10 am

I don't like so many if's. I want to do everything possible that will be positive as a candidate. I don't being a little annoying if it shows I am serious. Obviously, I don't want to turn anyone off, but I am extremely polite. Mostly, I have just wanted more information and advice, since I am doing this on my own. Earlier in this thread, everyone was like "Keep up the contact, let them know you are still interested, etc." Was that bad advice?


Yeah, it is bad advice. You should absolutely not be in contact with them more than once a week but really more like once every two weeks. Many forums suggest once a month. If you have nothing new to say, don't call them. They know you exist. And it is not too many ifs. That is the game.

No offense, but the majority of people with whom I have interacted on this forum are extremely arrogant and none too helpful. I would like to have my classmates enjoy being around me, but I am not doing this to make friends with everyone. If this forum is any indication, I will probably continue to hang out with B-school friends (who are almost all really nice, outgoing, genuine people) as opposed to law school classmates.


This is ridiculous. Yes, tons of people on here are arrogant, but I'd say the most arrogant posters are the ones with high LSAT scores. You got a 163. I said this before, but that is not a shoe-in at Pepperdine. There is no reason for you to say things like "I would tear law school up". What does that even mean? Admissions committees believe that the LSAT is the best predictor of your potential success in law school. A score of 163 is fine (that's what I earned--I'm not judging), but you can't sit there saying you are 100% sure that you would kick ass at law school. EVERY SINGLE STUDENT THAT COMES IN IS DETERMINED. YOU ARE NOT UNIQUE.

As to the process, I DON'T completely understand the process, and the Pepperdine people have been pretty opaque thus far. I was told for months that the Admissions Committee would reconvene in July and that I would hear something then. They did, and I heard nothing. That freaked me out. Even a rejection would have been better than this. Until two weeks ago, NO ONE told me that you could be on the WL until the day classes begin.


It's not up to Pepperdine to tell you that you could wait until the beginning of classes. I don't know anyone else who didn't know that. You should've researched more. You should've asked them when the final decision would have to be made the moment they waitlisted you.

Well, I highly doubt I could get into UCLA or USC, and I cannot leave L.A., so I don't really see anywhere worth going besides Pepperdine or Loyola. And, like I said, the monetary issues are a MAJOR restriction for me. As to how smart and awesome I am, I don't think I've said ANYTHING out of line at all. Sorry if it came off that way, but that was on the decoding end, not the coding end.


So don't leave LA? No one said you needed to. Monterary issues are relevant for the majority of people applying to law school. Loyola would have been a great place to apply and it would have been a real change of pace from Pepperdine.

As for the arrogance, you don't need to be sorry, but don't pretend you don't realize you're making some bold statements. Saying something like "I don't even know if I want to practice law" is likely going to get you ousted on here and in school. And go ahead and stay friends with B-School kids instead of law school kids, but that's a douchey thing to say too.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], roar1018 and 12 guests