Pepperdine 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
originalmutt

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby originalmutt » Mon May 09, 2011 11:58 am

melanne89 wrote:
originalmutt wrote:Attention apartment hunters:

I found a massive, 2,700-square-feet five bedroom, three bath house in Calabasas with a pool and jacuzzi, all new appliances, washer and dryer, new hardwood floors, fire place and two-car garage. I'm looking for four more people to go in on it with me. Rent varies by room size. A gardener and poolman is included with the rent.

The massive master bedroom with private bath would be $1,100 a month.
The next largest room is $925.
And the three normal sized bedrooms would be $650 each.

I will have some pics and measurements for the rooms later in the week. Message me if you're interested. Looking at an Aug. 1 move-in date. The address is 26006 Redbluff Drive in Calabasas. About a 15 minute drive to campus.

Male or female preferred roommates? How long is the lease?

No preference. I'm male, FYI.

I have not negotiated the length of lease. I will ask for it to end in May.

The two largest bedrooms are about 400 square feet each, or about the size of a small studio apartment.

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Mon May 09, 2011 3:37 pm

Have y'all read that NYTimes article about grading curves and merit schollys? (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... ml?_r=1&hp)

Does anyone have any insight into how this would relate to Pepperdine with their grading curve? I tried to get my stipulations removed on my scholly but apparently they refuse without a new LSAT or GPA score. Suprising as most schools are willing to negotiate based off of peer school scholarships.

Anyone else as nervous as I am? :roll:

originalmutt

Postby originalmutt » Tue May 10, 2011 12:57 am

deepspacenine wrote:Have y'all read that NYTimes article about grading curves and merit schollys? (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... ml?_r=1&hp)

Does anyone have any insight into how this would relate to Pepperdine with their grading curve? I tried to get my stipulations removed on my scholly but apparently they refuse without a new LSAT or GPA score. Suprising as most schools are willing to negotiate based off of peer school scholarships.

I was lucky to get a diversity scholly, so I only have to remain in good standing. I chose Pepperdine over Loyola for precisely this reason. Loyola offered a similar amount of money but they wouldn't waive the stipulations. I just couldn't take the gamble of losing my scholly.

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Tue May 10, 2011 11:25 am

deepspacenine wrote:Have y'all read that NYTimes article about grading curves and merit schollys? (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... ml?_r=1&hp)

The main point I got from that article was that a lot of students didn't really comprehend how tight a curve could be, and simply assumed a 3.0 or whatever they had to keep would be easy. I actually appreciate that Pepperdine didn't give a number, but rather a percentage cut off. Yeah, top 1/3's going to pull off, but that seems to be more upfront than a specific GPA.

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Tue May 10, 2011 1:29 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:

The main point I got from that article was that a lot of students didn't really comprehend how tight a curve could be, and simply assumed a 3.0 or whatever they had to keep would be easy. I actually appreciate that Pepperdine didn't give a number, but rather a percentage cut off. Yeah, top 1/3's going to pull off, but that seems to be more upfront than a specific GPA.

But isn't the top 1/3 still a set amount since GPA curves are required? i.e. only 15 of the 200 people who get schollys can keep them (using made up numbers for examples sake).

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Tue May 10, 2011 1:48 pm

deepspacenine wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:

But isn't the top 1/3 still a set amount since GPA curves are required? i.e. only 15 of the 200 people who get schollys can keep them (using made up numbers for examples sake).

It's definitely still a set amount, but to me, it's more explicit. I didn't see 1/3 and think, "oh, that'll be easy." I thought, "oh, crap, if I eff this up, I just made an $80,000 mistake." The tone I got from the Times piece was that students didn't realize how tight the ranks would be based on the GPA stip, and they assumed they'd slide through easily. Those people are not very intelligent in my opinion. I think if you know what you're getting into and make a reasoned decision, the stips aren't the end of the world.

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Wed May 11, 2011 12:46 pm

I know it is probably a lost cause, but has anyone tried to negotiate financial aid with Pepperdine by leveraging other scholly's? I got a $40 K scholarship recently and I wanted to know if I could leverage that to get even a cent out of Pepperdine. Anyone know how to do this?

bigjinjapan

Postby bigjinjapan » Thu May 12, 2011 9:05 am

Just formally declined my acceptance offer. No money put back in the pot though...

acmass

Postby acmass » Mon May 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Waitlisted today.

Not surprised.

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Wed May 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Regarding Scholarships . . .

You will begin 1L in a section of 70-80 students. Grades for your first year classes are curved to a B. Roughly 20% of your section will get some form of an A. About 50% get a B. Between 25-30% get a C. Around 4-5% get a D or F (you really have to bomb the final to do that poorly).

You don't see a class rank until the end of your first year (meaning you don't lose your scholarship for the second semester). From then on, your rank is recalculated after every semester.

If you do lose your scholarship, there are many other sources of funding available. We get an email every week w/ a list of scholarships that we can apply for. Many of these scholarships are targeted toward minorities, people from particular locations, people wanting to practice in certain areas, etc.

I doubt that you'll have much success getting stipulations removed. They come standard for most of the scholarships Pepperdine offers, from the smallest to the largest. That said, it never hurts to try. The process for that would be the same as trying to leverage for a larger scholarship. Contact admissions at lawadmis@pepperdine.edu. Your email will get to the appropriate people.

ljeucla

Postby ljeucla » Wed May 25, 2011 1:17 am

Hi everyone,

My status says "Decision rendered" as of 5/23. I was wondering if there is any indication of what the decision might be based on changes on the status checker, such as deposit amounts, etc. in order to see if you got in/got waitlisted/rejected from people that this has already happened for.

Thanks!

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 am

ljeucla wrote:if there is any indication of what the decision might be

the only indication is if you receive your wavenet log in info. Good luck :)

Oh, and why is this thread so dead?

ljeucla

Postby ljeucla » Wed May 25, 2011 11:41 am

jstubbs wrote:
ljeucla wrote:if there is any indication of what the decision might be

the only indication is if you receive your wavenet log in info. Good luck :)

Oh, and why is this thread so dead?

Thanks! I see that the average is 3-4 days after DR to get wavenet so I'll give it another day or 2 before freaking out.

:-)

ashle484

Postby ashle484 » Wed May 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Any waitlist news/developments?

ljeucla

Postby ljeucla » Thu May 26, 2011 1:02 pm

Has anyone been accepted and not received a wavenet email prior to receiving the acceptance?

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Thu May 26, 2011 2:19 pm

ljeucla wrote:Has anyone been accepted and not received a wavenet email prior to receiving the acceptance?

Mine showed up on the same day, so it's feasible to think you might get the letter before the wavenet. My guess is they time them to show up on the same day, but if the USPS decided to be extra efficient, it could happen.

ljeucla

Postby ljeucla » Thu May 26, 2011 2:46 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
ljeucla wrote:Has anyone been accepted and not received a wavenet email prior to receiving the acceptance?

Mine showed up on the same day, so it's feasible to think you might get the letter before the wavenet. My guess is they time them to show up on the same day, but if the USPS decided to be extra efficient, it could happen.

How long after you got DR did you get your letter?

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Thu May 26, 2011 2:54 pm

ljeucla wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:

DR on Monday, letter/wavenet on Friday.

ljeucla

Postby ljeucla » Thu May 26, 2011 5:45 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
ljeucla wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:

DR on Monday, letter/wavenet on Friday.

Great, thanks for the info.!

steviejanowski

Postby steviejanowski » Thu May 26, 2011 5:55 pm

How large is Pepperdine's WL generally? I got WL'd pretty late in the game (5/11) and sent in my LOCI immediately. My stats aren't quite as high as a lot of the accepted but I guess they liked me enough to WL me.

acmass

Postby acmass » Fri May 27, 2011 9:16 pm

Received a voicemail about the waitlist this afternoon and then a follow up email:

"Thank you for your continued interest in Pepperdine School of Law as one of our waitlisted applicants. I am contacting you today because our admissions committee may be offering admission to a few waitlisted applicants early next week, and we are trying to determine who would still like to be considered. I was wondering if you were still thinking about Pepperdine for the fall, or have you already committed to attending elsewhere? Please feel free to call me or email me to let me know at your earliest convenience."

I'm still deciding how I want to respond since I got this a few hours after I put my final deposit in at McGeorge, but just in case people were wondering...WL movement is starting!

ashle484

Postby ashle484 » Sat May 28, 2011 2:45 am

thanks for the update! although i didn't get that voicemail so perhaps thats a bad sign, but then again i have sent in two locis and visited so it might be insulting actually to ask if i am still interested but regardless the wait continues ://

acmass

Postby acmass » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:54 pm

just withdrew from the waitlist. Hope you all have fun in Malibu!

steviejanowski

Postby steviejanowski » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:51 pm

acmass wrote:just withdrew from the waitlist. Hope you all have fun in Malibu!

Did you end up getting a call this week?

I'm on edge right now hoping to get off any one of three waitlists.

acmass

Postby acmass » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:21 am

steviejanowski wrote:
acmass wrote:just withdrew from the waitlist. Hope you all have fun in Malibu!

Did you end up getting a call this week?

I'm on edge right now hoping to get off any one of three waitlists.

Yeah, she called me and left a voicemail. And then she also sent me an email.

I withdrew mostly because I just can't afford Pepperdine at this point. And I was honestly surprised that they contacted me...Pepperdine was the school that took the longest to give me any type of decision, so I'd kind of written them off.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”