Pepperdine 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gothamm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby gothamm » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:32 pm

glad you are excited about pepperdine ^ :)

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:41 pm

honestly I'd be happy anywhere...this gap year is killing me. slowly. Anyone excited for torts? This guy is lol.

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:01 pm

jstubbs wrote:honestly I'd be happy anywhere...this gap year is killing me. slowly. Anyone excited for torts? This guy is lol.

I'm in the same boat. Working was fun. For about 6 months. Now I am so pumped to start law school. Be it Pepperdine or Fordham (or please God let it be Vanderbilt), I'm ready.

originalmutt

Postby originalmutt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a place in Santa Monica or Venice. If you're looking for a roommate please PM me. I'd like to get a big three to four bedroom apartment (more rooms = lower per person costs), preferably near the beach. I live in LA and would be happy to do the heavy lifting for the apartment search if you're out of town. I'm looking at an Aug. 1 move-in date.

FYI I have a dog.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:07 pm

originalmutt wrote:I'm looking to get a place in Santa Monica or Venice.

Have you done the drive with traffic yet? I've been trying to figure out where to live and the drive in traffic in/out of santa monica didnt seem too appealing. Then again, the other option is the valley...both suck. Damn. Is general consensus Santa Monica?

brangara

Postby brangara » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:05 pm

jstubbs wrote:

Have you done the drive with traffic yet? I've been trying to figure out where to live and the drive in traffic in/out of santa monica didnt seem too appealing. Then again, the other option is the valley...both suck. Damn. Is general consensus Santa Monica?

Hey, I'm native to this area, live in Thousand Oaks (which is about 10-15 mins from the campus), and from our side the drive is fine. Housing in the valley is trashy, look at the Calabasas/Westlake Village area. I mean, of course it would be slightly pricier than valley living but it definitely shouldn't be as bad as Santa Monica. (Plus it's suburbia/safer than both the valley and LA.)

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:49 pm

the problem is my gf will be commuting to work on the other side of LA (Pasadena) So im pretty much looking at the Encino area to split the difference.

klhtq5

Postby klhtq5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:49 am

Hello everyone! So I got a seat deposit extension because I cannot make up my mind and am looking for some advice. I am in at Pepperdine and Wash U in STL and cannot decide which one I want to go to! I want to go into Sports/Entertainment law, so I know LA would be great, but I don't think I want to stay there after graduation. WU is higher ranked but is in Saint Louis, which is where I grew up. I feel like choosing LA would give me a little more adventure and be more exciting. Pepperdine, however, has a lot of connections in the industry! Thoughts?

klhtq5

Postby klhtq5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:01 pm

Also (I'm sorry about double posting) I am looking for anyone who may be interested in roommates? I really want to live in Malibu and have found a few three/four bedroom houses that look amazing! I have a fiance who will be living with me, so we don't mind if another couple wants to move in, too. Also, we have a Great Dane who is the biggest cuddle bug probably in the world who loves to try to sit on your lap :) That way we can carpool to class and we don't have to waste gas when it gets up to $5 a gallon!

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:10 pm

klhtq5 wrote:Hello everyone! So I got a seat deposit extension because I cannot make up my mind and am looking for some advice. I am in at Pepperdine and Wash U in STL and cannot decide which one I want to go to! I want to go into Sports/Entertainment law, so I know LA would be great, but I don't think I want to stay there after graduation. WU is higher ranked but is in Saint Louis, which is where I grew up. I feel like choosing LA would give me a little more adventure and be more exciting. Pepperdine, however, has a lot of connections in the industry! Thoughts?

Entertainment law is kind of a crapshoot. As someone who comes from the entertainment side, it's way more about who you know than what you know. Seriously, it's all connections, and honestly, getting important people to like you and value you. To that end, living in L.A. will give you certain proximity advantages that St. Louis will not give you, but, on the other hand, not being from L.A. originally and also being at a somewhat lower school competing with the likes of UCLA, USC, etc will put you at a disadvantage.

Bottom line, you are in the right vicinity, but good luck finding any entertainment law job, let alone one that pays enough to make up for Pepperdine's pricey tuition without a ton of important connections.

originalmutt

Postby originalmutt » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:15 pm

jstubbs wrote:

Its about 30-45 minutes, which is a typical commute for Los Angeles.

The other alternative is Calabasas, but then you're living in the middle of nowhere in 100-degree heat with nothing to do. At least with Santa Monica/Venice you are closer to LA, near the beach and have lots to do. The drive from downtown to Calabasas is about an hour to hour and fifteen minutes.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:56 pm

klhtq5 wrote: I want to go into Sports/Entertainment law

Im in the same boat but with Entertainment/business law...here's what I gather from recent LS grads. Don't bet on practicing a specific type of law, with this economy you kinda have to take what you can get. My buddy is a Loyola grad (this is his first year of practice) graduated top 20% w/good connections and still isn't practicing the type of law he thought he would. Compared to others, he was lucky to find a well paying job. Most people say go to law school where you want to practice unless you are T14, I tend to agree. With the market as saturated with lawyers as it is, finding a job outside of where your school's network is can be extremely difficult. I'm still going to try to make it into a production company, but I know that prob. won't happen. My advice is to work your ass off where you want to practice, and hopefully you can find a job in the niche you want, but be prepared if that doesnt happen...I really hope the economy turns around in re: law firm hiring in 2 years...

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:57 pm

jstubbs wrote:
klhtq5 wrote: I want to go into Sports/Entertainment law

Im in the same boat but with Entertainment/business law...here's what I gather from recent LS grads. Don't bet on practicing a specific type of law, with this economy you kinda have to take what you can get. My buddy is a Loyola grad (this is his first year of practice) graduated top 20% w/good connections and still isn't practicing the type of law he thought he would. Compared to others, he was lucky to find a well paying job. Most people say go to law school where you want to practice unless you are T14, I tend to agree. With the market as saturated with lawyers as it is, finding a job outside of where your school's network is can be extremely difficult. I'm still going to try to make it into a production company, but I know that prob. won't happen. My advice is to work your ass off where you want to practice, and hopefully you can find a job in the niche you want, but be prepared if that doesnt happen...I really hope the economy turns around in re: law firm hiring in 2 years...

+1 ... everyone asks me what type of law I want to practice. As interested as I might be in entertainment or the "soft" intellectual properties, I know I probably won't end up there. The more I can make myself feel open to anything, the more satisfied I think I'll be in about 3.5 years.

klhtq5

Postby klhtq5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:39 pm

That just makes my decision harder on which to attend, then! Haha, I know it's a personal choice, I just can't decide if T18 is worth living in St. Louis vs T50 is worth Malibu.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:23 pm

klhtq5 wrote:That just makes my decision harder on which to attend, then! Haha, I know it's a personal choice, I just can't decide if T18 is worth living in St. Louis vs T50 is worth Malibu.

Where do you want to end up practicing? Take a look at the mobility of each school and take that into consideration. That's how I decided against American. Only 5% of grads make it back to California (Where I am from) and I know I want to Practice in LA. Even though living in DC for 3 years would be great, I didnt want to take the (likely) chance of not getting back here. And honestly for Pepperdine, your chances of going anywhere besides CA won't be too great. Not to say that it cant be done successfully, I just cant believe it will be easy. Good luck on your decision :)

klhtq5

Postby klhtq5 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:07 pm

Of course I hear back from wustl the day after I turn in my deposit. Does anyone know if they refund deposits until a certain date? A few other schools do and I think I'm changing my mind...

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Sun May 01, 2011 12:26 pm

klhtq5 wrote:Of course I hear back from wustl the day after I turn in my deposit. Does anyone know if they refund deposits until a certain date? A few other schools do and I think I'm changing my mind...

I think they'll refund half of the first deposit until the end of June. (My admissions is packet is in my office, otherwise I'd be more sure.)

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Thu May 05, 2011 12:50 pm

jstubbs wrote:
klhtq5 wrote:That just makes my decision harder on which to attend, then! Haha, I know it's a personal choice, I just can't decide if T18 is worth living in St. Louis vs T50 is worth Malibu.

Where do you want to end up practicing? Take a look at the mobility of each school and take that into consideration. That's how I decided against American. Only 5% of grads make it back to California (Where I am from) and I know I want to Practice in LA. Even though living in DC for 3 years would be great, I didnt want to take the (likely) chance of not getting back here. And honestly for Pepperdine, your chances of going anywhere besides CA won't be too great. Not to say that it cant be done successfully, I just cant believe it will be easy. Good luck on your decision :)

Do you have a site/data as to Pepperdine's placement in California (NorCal vs SoCal)? Or even nationally?

ashle484

Postby ashle484 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:04 pm

has anyone heard any waitlist updates/news?

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Thu May 05, 2011 2:52 pm

jstubbs wrote:

I would argue that it might not be as difficult as you think. Pepperdine draws significant numbers of students from neighboring states as well as from TX and the Southeast. Many of these students (myself included) intend to return to their home states upon graduating from Pepperdine. This builds a strong alumni network, which is invaluable in helping future graduates find jobs.

Few similarly ranked schools can boast the same type of alumni network, largely because of the students they attract. A student at Loyola is a student who wants to practice in Southern CA and didn't get into (or didn't want to pay for) UCLA or USC (or an elite school that would place well in the area). While there are many students who fit that description at Pepperdine, there are also a lot of students who were attracted to Pepperdine b/c of its unique mission. Alumni of that sort are not tied to any particular region; you will find them everywhere.

love.noelle

Postby love.noelle » Thu May 05, 2011 11:19 pm

So is anyone else still waiting to hear back from Pepperdine?

There hasn't been any movement since I've been complete... bad sign? :/

pure_mercury

Postby pure_mercury » Fri May 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Waitlisted. I had a 3.18 undergrad GPA, but a 163 LSAT on the first try. I am also a current business student AT Pepperdine, and I am trying to do the JD/MBA. I guess they look hard at the undergraduate GPA. I also had a DUI a few years ago, which didn't hurt me with B-school at all, but the law school may be a little more concerned. I am getting two more LOR's (one from an undergrad prof, the other from a Pepperdine B-school prof), and sending in my LOCI soon. An Admissions Coordinator today told me that there are "several hundred" people on the WL right now, which is discouraging, but I have to imagine I have a leg up with being Pepperdine already and a higher-than-median LSAT. I am an entertainment background guy, so I am definitely going after Palmer Center for Entertainment, IP, and Tech.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Sat May 07, 2011 2:47 pm

pure_mercury wrote:I had a 3.18 undergrad GPA, but a 163 LSAT
I have similar numbers...I'd say you prob have a good shot at getting nabbed off the waitlist. Send in those LOCI's and LOR's and get in touch with some of the admissions and Palmer Center people. Especially with how tight nit Pepperdine is, being "present" and persistent really helps. I'm another one going for the Palmer center, hope to see you next year :)

originalmutt

Postby originalmutt » Sun May 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Attention apartment hunters:

I found a massive, 2,700-square-feet five bedroom, three bath house in Calabasas with a pool and jacuzzi, all new appliances, washer and dryer, new hardwood floors, fire place and two-car garage. I'm looking for four more people to go in on it with me. Rent varies by room size. A gardener and poolman is included with the rent.

The massive master bedroom with private bath would be $1,100 a month.
The next largest room is $925.
And the three normal sized bedrooms would be $650 each.

I will have some pics and measurements for the rooms later in the week. Message me if you're interested. Looking at an Aug. 1 move-in date. The address is 26006 Redbluff Drive in Calabasas. About a 15 minute drive to campus.

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:37 am

originalmutt wrote:Attention apartment hunters:

I found a massive, 2,700-square-feet five bedroom, three bath house in Calabasas with a pool and jacuzzi, all new appliances, washer and dryer, new hardwood floors, fire place and two-car garage. I'm looking for four more people to go in on it with me. Rent varies by room size. A gardener and poolman is included with the rent.

The massive master bedroom with private bath would be $1,100 a month.
The next largest room is $925.
And the three normal sized bedrooms would be $650 each.

I will have some pics and measurements for the rooms later in the week. Message me if you're interested. Looking at an Aug. 1 move-in date. The address is 26006 Redbluff Drive in Calabasas. About a 15 minute drive to campus.

Male or female preferred roommates? How long is the lease?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”