Pepperdine 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
irishvt14

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby irishvt14 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:32 pm

it took me 5 days to get a wavenet. i wouldn't jump the gun too soon.

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:59 am

For anyone who went DR this week but haven't heard anything yet, here's what happened to me. I went DR on a Monday, and received my wavenet on a Friday. A packet showed up in the mail on Saturday. Have hope!

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:30 am

It took me a few days after DR to get a wavenet, and a few days after wavenet to get my acceptance packet.

I live in the southeast, but apparently the mail is slow regardless of where you live.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:56 am

Anybody go to the ASD? Made me feel confident about prob. going next year. Other ppl's thoughts?

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:21 pm

jstubbs wrote:Anybody go to the ASD? Made me feel confident about prob. going next year. Other ppl's thoughts?

I was there, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm basically ready to write the check for my seat deposit, but I do have a couple of questions I still want to clear up. For me, the sense of mission/purpose/service and the apparently strong community really helped to seal the deal.

Plus, I'm really excited about the London program and getting involved with one of the Institutes...there's almost too much to do!

What about you? What stood out to you that made you feel confident?

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:59 pm

I was talking a lot with the Entertainment law people and the Palmer center people. I want to go into Entertainment/business/finance law...and the head of the center, apparently, is awesome with connections and helping with externships/jobs. The view didnt hurt either.

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:50 pm

Would Pepperdine have any stronger connection to the venture capital community than any other law school. I only ask because it's proximity to NorCal VC (i.e. in the same state) and the Center for Entrepreneurship or whatever. Anyone got any thoughts?

sdubs

Postby sdubs » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:16 pm

I went to the ASD and didn't like it. I was pretty certain on Pepperdine before going, flew all the way from PA to go, but it made me change my mind. I really didn't like Malibu.... theres nothing there! a few strip malls.... the view was beautiful but the building was so crappy compared to the other schools i saw. However, the professors seems really nice and the steve carell look alike was great. I'm sure everyone who goes there will love it, I just didn't get the "I knew Pepperdine was the one" feeling there like all the students in the panel kept saying. Guess its just not for me!

gfunkera86

Postby gfunkera86 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Is anyone in this forum deciding btwn Pepperdine and LMU with similar scholarships (something like 27k a year)? Id be interested to know what has been the differentiating factor for people...

spicymeatball111

Postby spicymeatball111 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:45 pm

gfunkera86 wrote:Is anyone in this forum deciding btwn Pepperdine and LMU with similar scholarships (something like 27k a year)? Id be interested to know what has been the differentiating factor for people...

I am exactly in your position. At this point, I've been looking for programs offered/environment that I'm interested in. For example, I would like to take as many classes in healthcare law as possible, it seems like Loyola has a much wider selection than Pepperdine in this regard. However, I think the Entrepreneur Institute could be interesting, and you really can't beat Pepperdine's location. Just try to pick what feels right.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:20 pm

waitlisted here as well. probably would not have chosen over loyola, but was still hoping for an acceptance to check out ASD and see how i like it.

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:49 pm

sdubs wrote: the steve carell look alike was great.

That's not enough?!?

Seriously, though, I also decided not to attend a certain school after an Admitted Student Day, so I totally get where you're coming from. Good luck wherever you decide to attend!

melanne89

Postby melanne89 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:31 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
jstubbs wrote:Anybody go to the ASD? Made me feel confident about prob. going next year. Other ppl's thoughts?

I was there, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm basically ready to write the check for my seat deposit, but I do have a couple of questions I still want to clear up. For me, the sense of mission/purpose/service and the apparently strong community really helped to seal the deal.

Plus, I'm really excited about the London program and getting involved with one of the Institutes...there's almost too much to do!

What about you? What stood out to you that made you feel confident?

I went. I loved the faculty, they definitely were a big selling point for me. Though I wasn't a big fan of the student body. Did anyone else get the vibe that the students didn't seem too welcoming? I just felt like everyone was a bit anti-social. I don't know, maybe it was just a wrong interpretation. Other than that though, I'll be putting in my deposit.

hoosierg35

Postby hoosierg35 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:02 pm

I applied in February, got an email March 25 saying my application was now complete and I would hear back in 6 to 8 weeks. Does this mean my chances are pretty damn slim at this point? Or could I possibly be a borderline case?

brangara

Postby brangara » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:03 pm

Went DR today :shock: Anyone else DR?

brangara

Postby brangara » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:01 pm

DR on Tuesday, no email yet, and no mail yet (even though I live just 20 minutes away from the campus). Should I be worried? :|

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:06 pm

brangara wrote:DR on Tuesday, no email yet, and no mail yet (even though I live just 20 minutes away from the campus). Should I be worried? :|

I went DR last week on a monday and received my waitlist letter on sat. Also here in socal.

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:37 pm

brangara wrote:DR on Tuesday, no email yet, and no mail yet (even though I live just 20 minutes away from the campus). Should I be worried? :|

Not yet. I went DR on a Monday, but didn't get an email or mail until that Friday. There's still hope! Good luck!

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:12 pm

Does Pepperdine have a "conservative" image to it in the same way American has a "liberal" one. I'm not really concerned about going to a school that is in-line or against my personal political beliefs, I am just concerned about the image a school may have on future employers. I've found people often shy away from folks that come from the extremes and I would hate to get a degree and be pigeonholed into a corner that I may or may not be in.

On the same line, how much does Pepperdine's religious/conservative bent color the professors discourse and academic pursuits. If you disagree with some stances are you hurt academically (grades)?

I know these seem like silly questions but I figured it would be helpful to know! Is this the correct thread for such a question?

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Withdrew today. Good luck to all of you. Purely a financial decision.

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:37 pm

deepspacenine wrote:Does Pepperdine have a "conservative" image to it in the same way American has a "liberal" one. I'm not really concerned about going to a school that is in-line or against my personal political beliefs, I am just concerned about the image a school may have on future employers. I've found people often shy away from folks that come from the extremes and I would hate to get a degree and be pigeonholed into a corner that I may or may not be in.

On the same line, how much does Pepperdine's religious/conservative bent color the professors discourse and academic pursuits. If you disagree with some stances are you hurt academically (grades)?

I know these seem like silly questions but I figured it would be helpful to know! Is this the correct thread for such a question?

There are several threads that address some of your questions, though you might have to search through the records to find them.

I'll briefly give you my thoughts. It appears to me that the "conservative" label gets attached to Pepperdine more often by pre-law students than by employers. The pre-law students know far less about the school and the lawyers it produces than the employers who hire those graduates. As a third year law student at Pepperdine, the school's image has yet to hurt my pursuits. I'm really not concerned about it.

As for how this affects professors' research interests . . . You'll certainly find articles about the relationship between a person's faith and the practice of law. This is far from the extent of the research, however. I'll give personal examples. I've worked with a professor who has published extensively on the rules of evidence (we have a contingent of professors who are well known for their opposition to the exclusionary rule). I've also worked with a professor who has a PhD in Econ and does interesting research in telecommunications. Check the law school website for "faculty news" under "news and events." It should give you an idea of some of the research currently being done by the faculty.

It should be difficult for your opinions to harm your grades. Law school exams are not political treatises. You are applying law to a hypothetical situation. There doesn't seem to be much room for your political ideology to shine through. Moreover, you are assigned an exam number, so the professor never sees your name. You could be a jerk all semester and it wouldn't affect the grade your professor assigns. There are a few courses that differ (notable, upper division writing courses). In those, you just have to use common sense. Accommodate yourself to the professor or be willing to suffer potential consequences. I don't say that to mean that professors here would intentionally ding you for different opinions, but it's something that any prudent student should consider.

deepspacenine

Postby deepspacenine » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:39 pm

utilitarianjac wrote:
deepspacenine wrote:Does Pepperdine have a "conservative" image to it in the same way American has a "liberal" one. I'm not really concerned about going to a school that is in-line or against my personal political beliefs, I am just concerned about the image a school may have on future employers. I've found people often shy away from folks that come from the extremes and I would hate to get a degree and be pigeonholed into a corner that I may or may not be in.

There are several threads that address some of your questions, though you might have to search through the records to find them.

I'll briefly give you my thoughts. It appears to me that the "conservative" label gets attached to Pepperdine more often by pre-law students than by employers. The pre-law students know far less about the school and the lawyers it produces than the employers who hire those graduates. As a third year law student at Pepperdine, the school's image has yet to hurt my pursuits. I'm really not concerned about it.

As for how this affects professors' research interests . . . You'll certainly find articles about the relationship between a person's faith and the practice of law. This is far from the extent of the research, however. I'll give personal examples. I've worked with a professor who has published extensively on the rules of evidence (we have a contingent of professors who are well known for their opposition to the exclusionary rule). I've also worked with a professor who has a PhD in Econ and does interesting research in telecommunications. Check the law school website for "faculty news" under "news and events." It should give you an idea of some of the research currently being done by the faculty.

It should be difficult for your opinions to harm your grades. Law school exams are not political treatises. You are applying law to a hypothetical situation. There doesn't seem to be much room for your political ideology to shine through. Moreover, you are assigned an exam number, so the professor never sees your name. You could be a jerk all semester and it wouldn't affect the grade your professor assigns. There are a few courses that differ (notable, upper division writing courses). In those, you just have to use common sense. Accommodate yourself to the professor or be willing to suffer potential consequences. I don't say that to mean that professors here would intentionally ding you for different opinions, but it's something that any prudent student should consider.

Wonderful advice! I was just curious as to the level of "debate" allowed given he school's reputation and relationship to the Church of Christ. I'm not really planning on debating or even bringing my own views into anything, just trying to cover as many bases as possible as I decide, esp. given the need to score as high as possible on grades to maintain scholarship.

Do you mind giving me the name of the professor who does telecommunications research, I'd love to look up his/her work as that area interests me.

Thanks so much again for the input!

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:13 pm

just submitted my seat deposit. Barring some movement on the Loyola waitlist, ill see yall next year :)

brangara

Postby brangara » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:42 pm

gothamm wrote:

I went DR last week on a monday and received my waitlist letter on sat. Also here in socal.

I just found out today that I was also waitlisted. Do you know anything about what percent of students are accepted off the waitlist?

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:14 pm

brangara wrote:I just found out today that I was also waitlisted. Do you know anything about what percent of students are accepted off the waitlist?

No, but what I can tell you is to make yourself known to the adcomm people at Pepperdine. Same with any school really, the more you show interest the more likely they will push your app to the top. It really depends on numbers, both yours and theirs. They need to meet their goal medians etc. but once those are met, they want people who will make a good name for the school, be successful, and be a good fit with their school culture (which isnt necessarily as hardcore conservative as people believe). Send in a LOCI and maybe another letter of Rec if they will take it. Visit the campus, etc. etc. All of this if you really want to attend. If it's just a maybe, then ask if it's really worth the effort. I love the feel of Pepperdine and am excited to attend in the fall, though I'm riding the waitlist at Loyola because of family reasons, and doing all of the above to get in per the Assistant Dean of Admissions' advice. Good luck with it, hope to see ya next fall :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”