Pepperdine 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:13 pm

love.noelle wrote:I applied to Pepperdine about a week ago, but I still haven't received any kind of notification or e-mail confirming that they received my application. LSAC says they've sent my report and everything. Is this normal? Is Pepperdine normally slow?


It took me over a week to get confirmation that my application was received and get a status checker, and I sat incomplete at the status checker for 10 days before I went to complete, even though LSAC had sent my stuff off wayyy long before that. I'd say they are unusually slow. The good news is, I went complete 3 days ago and now have a decision rendered, so they're seemingly pretty speedy once all the preliminary stuff is done.

love.noelle
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby love.noelle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Spookyghost wrote:
love.noelle wrote:I applied to Pepperdine about a week ago, but I still haven't received any kind of notification or e-mail confirming that they received my application. LSAC says they've sent my report and everything. Is this normal? Is Pepperdine normally slow?


It took me over a week to get confirmation that my application was received and get a status checker, and I sat incomplete at the status checker for 10 days before I went to complete, even though LSAC had sent my stuff off wayyy long before that. I'd say they are unusually slow. The good news is, I went complete 3 days ago and now have a decision rendered, so they're seemingly pretty speedy once all the preliminary stuff is done.


Thanks!

Whew, it's good to know I'm not the only one in this situation; I was starting to get worried.

Good luck to you :)

deepspacenine
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby deepspacenine » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:38 pm

Can anyone comment (for a person who has no connections to California) what Pepperdine's employment situation is like in NorCal. I'm interested in technology/soft-IP and have some friends working up in the Bay Area (Google, etc.) I'd love to work in mid or big law/in house in the technology arena but it seems from reviews I read online that Pepperdine is primarily a regional school for the LA region.

Can anyone comment on their reputation throughout California. I know someone from the South who went to Pepperdine and is working in mid-law in Dallas now, so apparently they do have some reach outside of California.

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby red_alertz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:40 pm

deepspacenine wrote:Can anyone comment (for a person who has no connections to California) what Pepperdine's employment situation is like in NorCal. I'm interested in technology/soft-IP and have some friends working up in the Bay Area (Google, etc.) I'd love to work in mid or big law/in house in the technology arena but it seems from reviews I read online that Pepperdine is primarily a regional school for the LA region.

Can anyone comment on their reputation throughout California. I know someone from the South who went to Pepperdine and is working in mid-law in Dallas now, so apparently they do have some reach outside of California.


well, one of my co-workers is a recent graduate from pepperdine working as a paralegal/clerk in a small law office getting paid $15/hr in socal

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby lsatextreme » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:48 pm

deepspacenine wrote:Can anyone comment (for a person who has no connections to California) what Pepperdine's employment situation is like in NorCal. I'm interested in technology/soft-IP and have some friends working up in the Bay Area (Google, etc.) I'd love to work in mid or big law/in house in the technology arena but it seems from reviews I read online that Pepperdine is primarily a regional school for the LA region.

Can anyone comment on their reputation throughout California. I know someone from the South who went to Pepperdine and is working in mid-law in Dallas now, so apparently they do have some reach outside of California.


I'm gonna go ahead and say that most Pepperdine grads won't be competitive for IP jobs in the bay area against graduates from schools like Stanford, Boalt, Hastings, or even Santa Clara grads. Maybe if you graduated like the top 5% in your class you might stand a shot. I'd say that school is strictly regional unless you excelled there.

mia137
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:34 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby mia137 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:10 pm

love.noelle wrote:I applied to Pepperdine about a week ago, but I still haven't received any kind of notification or e-mail confirming that they received my application. LSAC says they've sent my report and everything. Is this normal? Is Pepperdine normally slow?



They should notify you when you go complete in their system...as in, they've received and processed everything. Took a little under a week for me. If you're concerned, you can call to confirm that they've received everything from you.

acmass
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby acmass » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:49 pm

love.noelle wrote:I applied to Pepperdine about a week ago, but I still haven't received any kind of notification or e-mail confirming that they received my application. LSAC says they've sent my report and everything. Is this normal? Is Pepperdine normally slow?


Tell me about it...I applied Feb 1. and it took them over 6 weeks after I applied to show me as complete. Now I'm just impatiently waiting...

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby arhmcpo » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:28 am

deepspacenine wrote:Can anyone comment (for a person who has no connections to California) what Pepperdine's employment situation is like in NorCal. I'm interested in technology/soft-IP and have some friends working up in the Bay Area (Google, etc.) I'd love to work in mid or big law/in house in the technology arena but it seems from reviews I read online that Pepperdine is primarily a regional school for the LA region.

Can anyone comment on their reputation throughout California. I know someone from the South who went to Pepperdine and is working in mid-law in Dallas now, so apparently they do have some reach outside of California.


Well at least 50% of each years entering class seems to be non-CA, and many of them elect to head home - so the school does place alumni everywhere but in small numbers. After CA, TX would be the next most populous state for alumni I would think - a lot of TX people come here and then head back so your Dallas story is not that surprising. If you went to Pepperdine I would recommend utilizing Career Services to network with local tech/IP firms your 1L year - there are a ton of boutiques in the area - spend your 1L summer doing IP and if you can't get anything in norcal, go socal to get the experience while continuing to apply to norcal. Its not like norcal is impossible, just self selection and regional strength means that most grads stay in socal, and some head back home out of CA.

User avatar
Loyola Trojan
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:59 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Loyola Trojan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:48 pm

Anybody Decision Rendered today? numbers?

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby red_alertz » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:51 pm

Loyola Trojan wrote:Anybody Decision Rendered today? numbers?


you DR today?

User avatar
Loyola Trojan
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:59 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Loyola Trojan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:59 pm

red_alertz wrote:
Loyola Trojan wrote:Anybody Decision Rendered today? numbers?


you DR today?


yepp :shock:
any others out there?

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:04 pm

Loyola Trojan wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
Loyola Trojan wrote:Anybody Decision Rendered today? numbers?


you DR today?


yepp :shock:
any others out there?


DRed yesterday actually. Probably borderline, but was shocked to get a decision so quickly after going complete (but maybe not that shocked, because it took an inane amount of time to go complete)

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Loyola Trojan wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
Loyola Trojan wrote:Anybody Decision Rendered today? numbers?


you DR today?


yepp :shock:
any others out there?


good luck man :)

ELCORCO
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby ELCORCO » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:05 pm

I went DR today as well... numbers aren't that great, I'm feeling another WL but we'll see. For those that were accepted how many days till you got a Wavenet email?

User avatar
Loyola Trojan
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:59 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Loyola Trojan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:01 am

gothamm wrote:
Loyola Trojan wrote:
red_alertz wrote:
Loyola Trojan wrote:Anybody Decision Rendered today? numbers?


you DR today?


yepp :shock:
any others out there?


good luck man :)



Thanks Gothamm
Feeling weary... almost certain it's another WL after getting WL'd at Loyola. :|
Dying over here

gabewatch
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:15 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby gabewatch » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:49 am

hey for people who were accepted and got the wavenet account, how long after that did you get scholarship information? was this posted on the wavenet account? or is it only by snail mail?
thanks

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:38 am

Does a wavenet mean we are accepted? My decision is rendered but I live pretty far from CA so I imagine the mail will take a while. I did get a wavenet this morning though. 8)

User avatar
irishvt14
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:51 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby irishvt14 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:33 am

you're in!

ladybuglove
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby ladybuglove » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:48 pm

How regional is Pepperdine? I visited Baylor this past week and found that the school is quite regional - my tour guide even said if you're not looking for a job in the Waco/Houston area, Career Services isn't that helpful. Since I'm not ok with limiting myself to TX, I won't be attending. If I went to Pepperdine, would I most likely need to practice in CA when I graduate? I'm interested in practicing corporate law/transactional law of some sort if that helps...

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Spookyghost » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:27 pm

From what I understand Pepperdine is very regional, and there are a large number of quality law schools in California that compete with it that probably take precedence. Compared to places like Stanford, UCLA, or USC, I doubt Pepperdine JD's have much out-of-state pull. That being said, being stuck in CALIFORNIA, a state with pretty much the maximum level of diversity as one can find, isn't the worst thing in the world.

User avatar
arhmcpo
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby arhmcpo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:34 pm

ladybuglove wrote:How regional is Pepperdine? I visited Baylor this past week and found that the school is quite regional - my tour guide even said if you're not looking for a job in the Waco/Houston area, Career Services isn't that helpful. Since I'm not ok with limiting myself to TX, I won't be attending. If I went to Pepperdine, would I most likely need to practice in CA when I graduate? I'm interested in practicing corporate law/transactional law of some sort if that helps...


Its very regional for most students. Although many midwest and southerners who go here elect to go back to their home markets, and I know they get excellent career services support. But the teaching and focus of the school is for you to practice in CA - i.e. when your not learning federal rules you'll be learning CA rules. Of our students who land clerkships, the appellate level clerks the last few years have tended to be just as likely to get the 10th or 5th circuits as the 9th circuit while on the district court level the clerkships tend to be CA based, but that is a very small unique sample. If you want outside of CA, you'll need to be focused on that starting on your 1L summer job, networking in your market of choice, and really working with the CDO to make that happen.

User avatar
gothamm
Posts: 506
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:10 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby gothamm » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:59 pm

[/quote]


Thanks Gothamm
Feeling weary... almost certain it's another WL after getting WL'd at Loyola. :|
Dying over here[/quote]


wow, really? sorry to hear. I hope pepperdine has some good news

User avatar
Loyola Trojan
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:59 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby Loyola Trojan » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:20 pm

anybody that went dr on tues 3/29 get a wavenet or any mail yet?

deepspacenine
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:26 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby deepspacenine » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:57 pm

arhmcpo wrote:
ladybuglove wrote:How regional is Pepperdine? I visited Baylor this past week and found that the school is quite regional - my tour guide even said if you're not looking for a job in the Waco/Houston area, Career Services isn't that helpful. Since I'm not ok with limiting myself to TX, I won't be attending. If I went to Pepperdine, would I most likely need to practice in CA when I graduate? I'm interested in practicing corporate law/transactional law of some sort if that helps...


Its very regional for most students. Although many midwest and southerners who go here elect to go back to their home markets, and I know they get excellent career services support. But the teaching and focus of the school is for you to practice in CA - i.e. when your not learning federal rules you'll be learning CA rules. Of our students who land clerkships, the appellate level clerks the last few years have tended to be just as likely to get the 10th or 5th circuits as the 9th circuit while on the district court level the clerkships tend to be CA based, but that is a very small unique sample. If you want outside of CA, you'll need to be focused on that starting on your 1L summer job, networking in your market of choice, and really working with the CDO to make that happen.


Makes you wonder how much weight the Pepperdine degree carries back home. It seems like a lot of people know of Pepperdine (if for nothing more than the beauty of the school). Tough call.

calgirl27
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:12 am

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby calgirl27 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:29 pm

i went DR 3/23 and i still haven't heard anything :/ bad sign? i live like 40 min away from pepperdine




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], mm2368 and 2 guests