Pepperdine 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LS-boundNYC

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby LS-boundNYC » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:31 pm

gothamm wrote:Post^ is a breath of fresh air. I love it when TLS "gurus" say not to count on being top 1/3 because the odds are against you. Some even break it down to say that you have a 2/3 chance of not keeping it, ignoring the fact that everyone is of different intellectual/test taking ability. If you did well on the LSAT, then I think it is likelier that you will do well on law school exams imo. The LSAT was just a random conglomeration of crap that we had to adapt to. This adaptability suggests that you can adapt to other tests, such as law school exams.

This.

I was beginning to freak out thinking that I only had a 33.3% "chance" of keeping the scholarship. But then I realized that it's not just a chance. It's not random. GPAs and LSATs are not random. Sure, there will be some who will have a hard time staying the top third - I might be one of those, for all I know. But I think natural talents and abilities take that 33.3% chance and knock it down significantly. I'm not going to try and estimate a percentage for it, but I know that I'm just going to get to school and work my hardest.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:37 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
gothamm wrote:Post^ is a breath of fresh air. I love it when TLS "gurus" say not to count on being top 1/3 because the odds are against you. Some even break it down to say that you have a 2/3 chance of not keeping it, ignoring the fact that everyone is of different intellectual/test taking ability. If you did well on the LSAT, then I think it is likelier that you will do well on law school exams imo. The LSAT was just a random conglomeration of crap that we had to adapt to. This adaptability suggests that you can adapt to other tests, such as law school exams.

This.

I was beginning to freak out thinking that I only had a 33.3% "chance" of keeping the scholarship. But then I realized that it's not just a chance. It's not random. GPAs and LSATs are not random. Sure, there will be some who will have a hard time staying the top third - I might be one of those, for all I know. But I think natural talents and abilities take that 33.3% chance and knock it down significantly. I'm not going to try and estimate a percentage for it, but I know that I'm just going to get to school and work my hardest.

That's a fine strategy, and surely it works for many. But you've got to know that every person who received a scholarship with those stipulations is thinking the exact same thing. Just be realistic is all I'm saying. If it were me, I'd still work my butt of with that goal, but bank on the fact that I'm not getting any money after 1L, then, hopefully, be pleasantly surprised.

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:07 pm

PinkCow wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:

This.

That's a fine strategy, and surely it works for many. But you've got to know that every person who received a scholarship with those stipulations is thinking the exact same thing. Just be realistic is all I'm saying. If it were me, I'd still work my butt of with that goal, but bank on the fact that I'm not getting any money after 1L, then, hopefully, be pleasantly surprised.

Oh, I don't doubt that everyone who receives the scholarship has a similar strategy. But not everyone who will attend receives the scholarship. I'm saying that a top third requirement doesn't translate (at least in my mind) to a 1/3 chance of keeping the scholarship. I think I'm suggesting more of a middle way between the 1) the DESPAIR method of "you will probably lose it" and 2) the DREAMING method of "you will have no trouble keeping it."

UA7789

Postby UA7789 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:50 pm

Just received a letter in the mail upping my scholarship for a recent increase in my GPA. It went from 25k a year to 42k a year. Very excited about this offer!

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:22 pm

UA7789 wrote:Just received a letter in the mail upping my scholarship for a recent increase in my GPA. It went from 25k a year to 42k a year. Very excited about this offer!

what? how? did you mail them your transcripts or via lsac?

UA7789

Postby UA7789 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:50 pm

gothamm wrote:
UA7789 wrote:Just received a letter in the mail upping my scholarship for a recent increase in my GPA. It went from 25k a year to 42k a year. Very excited about this offer!

Honestly, I have no idea, I was really surprised. I e-mailed LSAC an updated transcript from my Fall semester at the beginning of January, but it barely went up at all since the previous semester. (.02) So I was a bit shocked when I got the letter, but extremely excited, because there was absolutely no way I would have been able to afford it before.

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:31 pm

Decision Rendered as of 3/7...now I get to wait a little more :)

berkeleyman

Postby berkeleyman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:33 pm

jstubbs wrote:Decision Rendered as of 3/7...now I get to wait a little more :)

When did you go under review?

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:50 pm

berkeleyman wrote:When did you go under review?

Ive been Complete since late Jan. and it just jumped to DR this afternoon.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:56 pm

UA7789 wrote:
gothamm wrote:

Honestly, I have no idea, I was really surprised. I e-mailed LSAC an updated transcript from my Fall semester at the beginning of January, but it barely went up at all since the previous semester. (.02) So I was a bit shocked when I got the letter, but extremely excited, because there was absolutely no way I would have been able to afford it before.

crazy stuff. Perhaps I should do the same.

UA7789

Postby UA7789 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 am

gothamm wrote:
UA7789 wrote:
gothamm wrote:

crazy stuff. Perhaps I should do the same.

Yep, you never know. Good luck!

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:44 am

UA7789 wrote:
gothamm wrote:

Pepperdine distributes scholarship information based on a core score. Like many other schools, Pepperdine takes your LSDAS uGPA and LSAT and plugs it into a formula to get a final number. They distribute scholarship based off the percentile you fall into out of all their accepted applicants from said final number. It is highly likely that your .02 increase in GPA moved you from one bracket to another, and thus you received more denaro.

Congrats! You coming to ASD?

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:54 am

What about things like softs/urm/nontrad? ^^^

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:04 am

I know that URMs are worked into the scholarship distribution, specifically how I am unaware, but I would assume it is through some modified formula.

The only softs I know of that affect scholarship distribution is CoC affiliation.

I have absolutely no idea how non traditional students are treated in the distribution of scholarships. I cannot comment on that.

UA7789

Postby UA7789 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Gatriel wrote:
UA7789 wrote:
gothamm wrote:

Pepperdine distributes scholarship information based on a core score. Like many other schools, Pepperdine takes your LSDAS uGPA and LSAT and plugs it into a formula to get a final number. They distribute scholarship based off the percentile you fall into out of all their accepted applicants from said final number. It is highly likely that your .02 increase in GPA moved you from one bracket to another, and thus you received more denaro.

Congrats! You coming to ASD?

Thank you! I am actually going to go look at quite a few of the Southern California schools this next weekend (it is my spring break and really the only time I can get over there). For the ASD, I am trying to figure out all the dates between different schools and which ones I will be able to attend, so I am not completely sure yet.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:29 pm

tag

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:05 am

Got my Acceptance today (yay). Been complete since late Jan. No wavenet though? strange...

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:16 am

jstubbs wrote:Got my Acceptance today (yay). Been complete since late Jan. No wavenet though? strange...

Congrats! I went complete early feb. Mind pm'ing me your numbers?

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:46 am

gothamm wrote:
jstubbs wrote:Got my Acceptance today (yay). Been complete since late Jan. No wavenet though? strange...

Psh I've got nothing to hide. 163/3.06 :)~

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:01 am

jstubbs wrote:
gothamm wrote:

Are you still considering Chapman? They will probably toss some $$ at you with your numbers...

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:19 am

1ferret! wrote:Are you still considering Chapman? They will probably toss some $$ at you with your numbers...

Honestly I don't think I am. I'm still going to visit the campus and depending on how much $$ they throw at me I could be swayed but I'm in at Pepperdine and American...both are really great choices and hard to say no to. Im still waiting on Loyola and San Diego. It should be an interesting couple of months for everyone on TLS. Am I the only one that kinda enjoys the wait?

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 am

Yes. You are. Big difference between the culture in DC v. The West Coast. I think a lot of people apply to both these schools because they are in the same range as far as entering student numbers, but I would imagine the life path is pretty divergent. I know some people from east coast schools that make their way back, but some of them took summer positions in LA to help with the transition.

lpb

Postby lpb » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:51 am

Went DR on Monday, and I've been checking my e-mail about every 3 minutes since. Realize this post has been done a bunch before, but I just can't get over it. I can't take the waiting!

I did get an e-mail for the accepted students day on 4/8. Think that's a good sign, or Pepp is just teasing me?

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:04 am

Last year I got a wavenet login before anything else. I think that is the first indication of acceptance. One of my profs is on the adcomm and he told the class he was reviewing apps on Tuesday. don't know if that is of any help.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:56 am

jstubbs wrote:
gothamm wrote:

thanks. I went complete early feb. Hope my turn is soon!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”