Pepperdine 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jesss

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Postby jesss » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:44 pm

LegallyPumpkin wrote:Those of you who received packages already -- do you have anything written under Mailings on your Status page?

i have nothing listed under mailings

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 pm

LegallyPumpkin wrote:Those of you who received packages already -- do you have anything written under Mailings on your Status page?

Nope. Nothing's there.

ddawg819

Postby ddawg819 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:45 pm

has anyone who went DR on 2/21 received a wavenet account yet?

LegallyPumpkin

Postby LegallyPumpkin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:18 pm

ddawg819 wrote:has anyone who went DR on 2/21 received a wavenet account yet?

I was DR on 2/21 and got a rejection letter today :-(.

ddawg819

Postby ddawg819 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:20 pm

LegallyPumpkin wrote:

Doesn't look good for me then. I haven't received a wavenet email yet so there is probably a rejection letter waiting for me at home.

ddawg819

Postby ddawg819 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:22 pm

ddawg819 wrote:
LegallyPumpkin wrote:

Doesn't look good for me then. I haven't received a wavenet email yet so there is probably a rejection letter waiting for me at home.

WL today via snail mail.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:24 pm

WL, so won't hear back till June it appears

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:09 pm

Withdrawn today. Hopefully this bumps someone off the WL!

Good luck y'all.

fragged

Postby fragged » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:37 pm

Waitlisted via snailmail today - immediately declined. Good luck everyone!

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:01 pm

Decision rendered 2/28! the WL and rejections posted above are starting to make me nervous...now I have to wait for snail mail

WAinCO

Postby WAinCO » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:31 pm

Got my denial for faculty scholars but in with 42k. My only concern here is the Stip. of top 1/3, the letter states it is likely more than 1/3 of entering class will have this deans scholarship. Any thoughts?

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:48 pm

WAinCO wrote:Got my denial for faculty scholars but in with 42k. My only concern here is the Stip. of top 1/3, the letter states it is likely more than 1/3 of entering class will have this deans scholarship. Any thoughts?

Never bank on the fact that you're gonna be in top 1/3. The fact is, you can be extremely intelligent/work your butt off, and you still may not be top 1/3 at Pepperdine - far too many contingencies beyond your control. So, either bargain with them to see if you can get the stip removed (or at least lowered), or attend with the full assumption that you will NOT be getting any aid beyond your first year. Perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised, but do NOT count on it. Too many 2Ls and 3Ls get royally screwed that way.

WAinCO

Postby WAinCO » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 pm

PinkCow wrote:
WAinCO wrote:Got my denial for faculty scholars but in with 42k. My only concern here is the Stip. of top 1/3, the letter states it is likely more than 1/3 of entering class will have this deans scholarship. Any thoughts?

Never bank on the fact that you're gonna be in top 1/3. The fact is, you can be extremely intelligent/work your butt off, and you still may not be top 1/3 at Pepperdine - far too many contingencies beyond your control. So, either bargain with them to see if you can get the stip removed (or at least lowered), or attend with the full assumption that you will NOT be getting any aid beyond your first year. Perhaps you'll be pleasantly surprised, but do NOT count on it. Too many 2Ls and 3Ls get royally screwed that way.

I feel the same way, just good to hear it from someone else. I think that is sketchy that the offer over 1/3 of the class scholarship knowing that their Stips will have to eliminate $$ for their students in 2L-3L

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:15 pm

I think it depends on how you look at it. I think way too many incoming law students feel entitled to scholarships. I mean, if you can get them without any stipulations - have at it. But to me it seems kinda weird to get an upfront scholarship that you can't lose. They are giving you $$$ for your first year based on PAST performance in undergrad, something that many have rightly noted does not always carry over to great performance in law school. I for one would be ruffled if I knew that the guy next to me was barely managing grades that would keep him from getting kicked out and collecting a full ride scholarship while I was outperforming him in every respect while paying sticker. Maybe the stipulation should be top half, but i agree in principle with there being some stipulation or other....

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:16 am

Decision Rendered 2/28
Wavenet Account Email Today!

Does that mean I'm probably in? Do WL get to create accounts?

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:58 am

ladybuglove wrote:Decision Rendered 2/28
Wavenet Account Email Today!

Does that mean I'm probably in? Do WL get to create accounts?

Nope. Congrats!

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:09 pm

Will anyone be going to the 4/8 Accepted Student's Day? I just booked my ticket!

For anyone in the know, would staying at the Good Nite Inn in Calabasas be a good place to stay? It's only $60 a night...I'll be getting a zipcar at LAX to travel around Cali for a long weekend so cutting on hotel costs would be nice!

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:Will anyone be going to the 4/8 Accepted Student's Day? I just booked my ticket!

For anyone in the know, would staying at the Good Nite Inn in Calabasas be a good place to stay? It's only $60 a night...I'll be getting a zipcar at LAX to travel around Cali for a long weekend so cutting on hotel costs would be nice!

Good Nite Inn is standard Motel fare. Stayed my first night there. Bout 15 mins to the school but far from Los Angeles and tourist attractions.

LS-boundNYC

Postby LS-boundNYC » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:52 pm

1ferret! wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:Will anyone be going to the 4/8 Accepted Student's Day? I just booked my ticket!

Good Nite Inn is standard Motel fare. Stayed my first night there. Bout 15 mins to the school but far from Los Angeles and tourist attractions.

Good to know. I don't mind being far from attractions because I'm going to be staying with my brother in San Diego for the next night or two. Long weekend in Cali after the brutal New York cold FTW!

rockyIV

Postby rockyIV » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Complete 12/3, absolutely nothing since

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:34 pm

Went DR on wednesday, no WaveNet email since. I saw it took up to four days for people, so I'm hoping maybe Monday/Tuesday it'll come. Won't be surprised if it's a WL or rejection though.

hector311

Postby hector311 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:43 am

WAinCO wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

I feel the same way, just good to hear it from someone else. I think that is sketchy that the offer over 1/3 of the class scholarship knowing that their Stips will have to eliminate $$ for their students in 2L-3L

I'm in the same boat and a little hesitant. I spoke with a couple of students who are 3Ls and one that is graduated. All 3 of them had no problem (and by no problem, I mean they worked their butts off for the grade and uncontrollable factors and subjective grading was not enough to set them back) keeping their scholarships. That said, Pepperdine has been climbing the charts and admitting a more competitive student body over the past three years. So we may be at each others' throats to keep our scholarship.

arhmcpo

Postby arhmcpo » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:57 pm

hector311 wrote:
WAinCO wrote:
PinkCow wrote:

I'm in the same boat and a little hesitant. I spoke with a couple of students who are 3Ls and one that is graduated. All 3 of them had no problem (and by no problem, I mean they worked their butts off for the grade and uncontrollable factors and subjective grading was not enough to set them back) keeping their scholarships. That said, Pepperdine has been climbing the charts and admitting a more competitive student body over the past three years. So we may be at each others' throats to keep our scholarship.

I think this is a concern all 0L's have and its legitimate. However, I think the overall character of the school has a greater effect on whether your classes are competitive in the way you are fearful of. First off, all law schools are much more competitive than your undergraduate; it took me 3-4 weeks before I felt really comfortable with the more competitive atmosphere since I'm really not competitive at all. Part of it is everyone feels awkward about this "Bell-Curve grading thingy" intially, and people are learning the social norms of law school.

I will say that I have routinely shared and asked for outlines both in 1L and 2L, and I have routinely given notes and received notes for missed classes. In 1L there will probably be around 5 out of 70 people who are "gunners" who ask a lot of questions, take constant notes and generally freak you out that you are not working hard enough :lol: inevitably some of these gunners will end up at the bottom of your class and others at the very top of your class and you will learn that everyone studies and learns differently and some people have to act like gunners just to pass. Some schools have reputations for super competitiveness (Hastings comes to mind), not sharing notes and hiding books in the library or cutting out valuable pages. Pepperdine is not like that, never has been like that, and most likely never will be like that.

I have never worked the hardest nor been the smartest, but I have retained my top 1/3rd scholly, and certainly think that if you work hard you are more likely to keep it than not. However, it would be wise of you all to consider whether you could handle, financially and emotionally, losing your scholarship after 1L.

gothamm

Postby gothamm » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Post^ is a breath of fresh air. I love it when TLS "gurus" say not to count on being top 1/3 because the odds are against you. Some even break it down to say that you have a 2/3 chance of not keeping it, ignoring the fact that everyone is of different intellectual/test taking ability. If you did well on the LSAT, then I think it is likelier that you will do well on law school exams imo. The LSAT was just a random conglomeration of crap that we had to adapt to. This adaptability suggests that you can adapt to other tests, such as law school exams.

ladybuglove

Postby ladybuglove » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:51 am

IN!!!!!!!! With 15k per year - I hope I can visit!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”