Pepperdine 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mrwarre85

Silver

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:51 pm

bergg007 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
DubPoker wrote:I live on the East coast and Honestly don't know too much about Cali schools,

I just received an e-mail from Pepperdine...

"our academic achievement in your undergraduate years and/or your strong aptitude for law as demonstrated by your outstanding LSAT make you a strong candidate for admission. In light of our recent dean announcement, we are extending our priority application to deadline until March 1, with the final deadline remaining as April 1. In an effort to encourage you to apply, we will waive the usual application fee."

Everyday Pacific McGeorge Law School e-mails me so I have a spammy view of the e-mails I get. But then I looked into Pepperdine, its really legit. Seeing as I applied to Loyola LA- i'm now interested in applying.

i'm 3.3/167. Do you guys think applying this ridiculously late in the cycle eliminates my chances for a schollership? (money running out, ect)
I got the same e-mail. The blatent typo "we are extending our priority application to deadline until March 1" makes me not want to apply. If we can proofread our personal statements they can proofread their emails.

Plus I'm not sure those Christians will like my GPA. Christians nowadays don't act like Christ did, they follow all of societies rules to the letter.

I've read this statement 5 times, and still have no idea what you are trying to say. You saying Jesus would forgive your crap grades or something?
HWJA

how would jesus admit?
You're applying to Pepperdine so I'll assume you have some knowledge of the bible. Jesus didn't always follow Roman Law, and most importantly he advocated the use of individual reason.

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:58 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:I got a fee waiver too. I might throw an app there now, even though it is super late. But I am slightly annoyed though because I asked for one earlier and they didn't give me one.
+1. I'm pretty pissed about this, there was a time when I was pretty interested in their little school by the ocean.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:05 pm

JakeL wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:I got a fee waiver too. I might throw an app there now, even though it is super late. But I am slightly annoyed though because I asked for one earlier and they didn't give me one.
+1. I'm pretty pissed about this, there was a time when I was pretty interested in their little school by the ocean.
Yeah I asked for one in October. They told me my GPA wasn't high enough haha I really respected their honesty at the time. Now in Feb. I get a fee waiver... hmm..

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:11 pm

+1. They actually denied me a waiver last cycle when I thought I was going to apply but pushed it to this cycle, and then they denied me one this cycle too so I actually went ahead and paid the fee. I'm beyond annoyed now that they're handing them out like hotcakes, and I'll be pretty pissed if they end up denying me.

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:26 pm

anyone get that email from admissions about the new dean? Thanks for making my heart jump for a minute guys, thanks a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mia137

New

Post by mia137 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:27 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:I've read this statement 5 times, and still have no idea what you are trying to say. You saying Jesus would forgive your crap grades or something?
No. society says making good grades is the way to be successful, but in the real world it is really one of many avenues. Christians today are more likely to stop at four-way stops in the middle of the night when no one is in sight, wait for a two full seconds, then proceed-- its like they follow every law for the sake of the law even though the law without ever considering the reason the law was enacted in the first place. Long story short, they often don't think outside the box or think for themselves.

For whatever its worth I've got lots of uber religious friends and I like them alot, just sayin.

Point is stuffy follow all the rules type places will be less inclined to understand that I started two successful businesses while in undergrad and learned much for from them than I did in the classes I ditched. They probably wont look critically at my transcript and see all A's in the three 4000 lvl law classes, either. They will see a 2.9.[/quote]

Let me see if I read you right:

(P1) Christians typically are more likely than not to obey the laws rather than question them (e.g., running stop signs).
(C1) Thus, they often don't think outside the box or think for themselves.
(P2) Moreover, because Pepperdine is a "Christian" institution, it is clearly a stuffy, follow all the rules place, solely evidenced by the observation in (P1).
(C2) Thus, being a wholly stuffy, follow the rules place, Pepperdine will deny you admission, rather than look at you holistically.

Am I close?

I really hope you go with your logic and choose not to apply to this school.[/quote]

Haha. You're close, but probably taking me too seriously.

Running stopsigns? Obey the law because it makes sense, not out of fear. Stopping two seconds when you can clearly see that no one is around is insulting to mans individual intelligence.[/quote]

Why are you so angry?

I think you should opt for a school that does allow you to have a drink and some sex in between classes. You may need it.

Seriously, though, best of luck to you but this doesn't seem to be the school for you. Not because of the religion--I'm a non-practicing Jew who got into all schools I applied to (top ranked was UCLA) and I will almost definitely be attending Pepperdine in the fall. I also am not their cookie-cutter admit. I have a very non-Christian blemish on my record that required a background explanation....and an email from them asking for more details. I still got a full ride. But you clearly have absolutely no interest in the school and a lot of anger about...well..I don't know.

(I'm sure I have typos but I have to get back to work now so I'm not going to bother checking for them. Feel free to poke fun.)

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Why are you so angry?

I think you should opt for a school that does allow you to have a drink and some sex in between classes. You may need it.

Seriously, though, best of luck to you but this doesn't seem to be the school for you. Not because of the religion--I'm a non-practicing Jew who got into all schools I applied to (top ranked was UCLA) and I will almost definitely be attending Pepperdine in the fall. I also am not their cookie-cutter admit. I have a very non-Christian blemish on my record that required a background explanation....and an email from them asking for more details. I still got a full ride. But you clearly have absolutely no interest in the school and a lot of anger about...well..I don't know.

(I'm sure I have typos but I have to get back to work now so I'm not going to bother checking for them. Feel free to poke fun.)[/quote]

Sorry if your mad cuz I pointed out a typo from your favorite school. I'm not sure if you are mad because its impossible to tell on an internet chat room.

bergg007

Bronze

Post by bergg007 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:38 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
You're applying to Pepperdine so I'll assume you have some knowledge of the bible. Jesus didn't always follow Roman Law, and most importantly he advocated the use of individual reason.

What do you mean Jesus didn't follow ROMAN law? he didn't always observe Jewish traditional law,but he didn't break roman law. I have no idea why you think your statement has any relevance to the discussion. What does "Jesus as Law breaker, and champion of reason" have to do with this one dude thinking that Jesus' perspective would help him get into law School?

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:12 pm

I have an idea....why don't you all take the religious debate to the lounge?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DubPoker

Bronze

Post by DubPoker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:36 pm

1ferret! wrote:I have an idea....why don't you all take the religious debate to the lounge?
+1

The only time religion should really be brought up in this thread is if it deals with "Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists"

and I guess more practically- If a prospective applicant wants to know something about the school and its environment. Questions and answers should strive to be both honest and respectful.

Loyola Trojan

New

Post by Loyola Trojan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:52 pm

I don't care about this Jesus talk, what does piss me off is that Pepperdine took over 3 weeks to get my file "complete" and is taking forever to send out decisions.

Oh, and the new dean is great and everything (no sarcasm), but I'd be more excited if I actually knew I was in. Thanks.
:shock:

mia137

New

Post by mia137 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:11 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:Why are you so angry?

(I'm sure I have typos but I have to get back to work now so I'm not going to bother checking for them. Feel free to poke fun.)
Sorry if your mad cuz I pointed out a typo from your favorite school. I'm not sure if you are mad because its impossible to tell on an internet chat room.[/quote]

Nope. No mad kids here! I'm a happy girl. :D

hector311

New

Post by hector311 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:33 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
hector311 wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:
DubPoker wrote:I live on the East coast and Honestly don't know too much about Cali schools,

"our academic achievement in your undergraduate years and/or your strong aptitude for law as demonstrated by your outstanding LSAT make you a strong candidate for admission. In light of our recent dean announcement, we are extending our priority application to deadline until March 1, with the final deadline remaining as April 1. In an effort to encourage you to apply, we will waive the usual application fee."

Everyday Pacific McGeorge Law School e-mails me so I have a spammy view of the e-mails I get. But then I looked into Pepperdine, its really legit. Seeing as I applied to Loyola LA- i'm now interested in applying.

i'm 3.3/167. Do you guys think applying this ridiculously late in the cycle eliminates my chances for a schollership? (money running out, ect)
I got the same e-mail. The blatent typo "we are extending our priority application to deadline until March 1" makes me not want to apply. If we can proofread our personal statements they can proofread their emails.

Plus I'm not sure those Christians will like my GPA. Christians nowadays don't act like Christ did, they follow all of societies rules to the letter.
Now now, let's not rip Pepperdine too hard on typos... I'm pretty sure you meant society's or societies'...;) we're all human.
Cute, but you have massively missed the point. I'm on an online forum, they are working professionals who sent that email out from a highly regarded center for education to hundreds or thousands of potential customers.
Haha, no I definitely got the point...honestly though, who could resist the irony? We are hyper-critical prospective law students. We are also irrational and at times insane...seriously insane. You all should peruse the top ten school posts (if for some reason you feel like wasting as much time as me on these things). They are brutal to each other...brutal. I've been a glutton for punishment before, but some of their comments turn me off to the respective programs. I like to have fun but we should try to keep it classy right? It's Pepperdine, people want to attend here for the unique environment offered from their peers coupled with an outstanding education.

Now to the point, it's likely that a GPA bust is going to hurt you. And ya, it sucks, especially after proving your performance later. But we are all part of that problem. If law school was less about the rank-lust then admissions committees could be less about the numbers game (especially Tier 2 and 3 schools still clawing their way through the ranks). Anyhow, I wish ya the best and don't get jaded if its bad news.

Question - when is one too old to start learning to surf? If I head to Malibu in the fall, I am going to pick up surfing for sure.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bigjinjapan

Bronze

Post by bigjinjapan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 am

mrwarre85 wrote:

In a post where you point out a typo, it's wise to avoid making one of your own lest you be sucked into a black hole of irony. (blatent-->blatant)

edf2011

New

Post by edf2011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:56 am

so are we back to practical discussions yet? just received a wavenet account--logged in and I'm still getting 'you'll be notified of our decision soon'? Did anyone else get this?

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:00 pm

edf2011 wrote:so are we back to practical discussions yet? just received a wavenet account--logged in and I'm still getting 'you'll be notified of our decision soon'? Did anyone else get this?

Yeah IIRC it will be that way for a while. Mine didn't update till a couple days after I got my letter. In fact, my status checker still says DR but Wavenet says I'm in.

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Anyone who applied for the Faculty Scholars Award hear back yet??

Last year people started hearing by early February, so I'm a little confused. Think I should e-mail them?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rockyIV

New

Post by rockyIV » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:59 pm

bigjinjapan wrote:
mrwarre85 wrote:

In a post where you point out a typo, it's wise to avoid making one of your own lest you be sucked into a black hole of irony. (blatent-->blatant)
if we are going to be the grammar police, can we at least point out the most obvious typo in this quote box, schollership anybody????

nycdreamer89

New

Post by nycdreamer89 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 pm

PinkCow wrote:Anyone who applied for the Faculty Scholars Award hear back yet??

Last year people started hearing by early February, so I'm a little confused. Think I should e-mail them?
I'm waiting to hear back as well. Haven't heard anything though. :?

mia137

New

Post by mia137 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:44 pm

nycdreamer89 wrote:
PinkCow wrote:Anyone who applied for the Faculty Scholars Award hear back yet??

I'm waiting to hear back as well. Haven't heard anything though. :?

How does it work if you already have the Dean's Scholarship?? I don't suppose they'll actually pay us to attend their school, will they? Because that would be way too awesome.

LS-boundNYC

Bronze

Post by LS-boundNYC » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:46 pm

Not sure if this is the conventional way to be accepted to Pepperdine, or if there was some mistake somewhere along the way, but I just received an email about the new dean:

"Congratulations on being admitted to Pepperdine. As a member of our community, we wanted to make sure that you were aware that Pepperdine has just announced who the next law school dean will be. We have included the press release below and we look forward to welcoming you to Pepperdine this next fall...."

Anyone else get this?

(I went decision rendered on Monday.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PinkCow

Silver

Post by PinkCow » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Chris Ross wrote:Not sure if this is the conventional way to be accepted to Pepperdine, or if there was some mistake somewhere along the way, but I just received an email about the new dean:

"Congratulations on being admitted to Pepperdine. As a member of our community, we wanted to make sure that you were aware that Pepperdine has just announced who the next law school dean will be. We have included the press release below and we look forward to welcoming you to Pepperdine this next fall...."

Anyone else get this?

(I went decision rendered on Monday.)

I got it too. Looks like you're in brah.

Classof2014

New

Post by Classof2014 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:32 pm

+2

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:37 pm

i also received the new dean e-mail, but says nothing about me being admitted.

Dear xxx:

We are still in the process of evaluating your application to Pepperdine University School of Law. We thank you for your patience as we evaluate the high volume of applications. In the meantime, as a potential member of our community, we wanted to make sure that you were aware that Pepperdine has just announced who the next law school dean will be. We have included the press release below.

lsatextreme

Silver

Post by lsatextreme » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:50 pm

gothamm wrote:i also received the new dean e-mail, but says nothing about me being admitted.

Dear xxx:

We are still in the process of evaluating your application to Pepperdine University School of Law. We thank you for your patience as we evaluate the high volume of applications. In the meantime, as a potential member of our community, we wanted to make sure that you were aware that Pepperdine has just announced who the next law school dean will be. We have included the press release below.
this is the one i got and deleted immediately. Looks like they sent out two sets of emails, one for already admitted and one for yet to be decided

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”