Pepperdine 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gothamm

Silver

Re: Pepperdine 2011

Post by gothamm » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:45 am

pure_mercury wrote:I am at a loss as to what to do now. I REALLY want to get in, and I haven't applied anywhere else (I am a current MBA student at Pepperdine, and I was planning to do the JD/MBA program). Honestly, I don't feel like the business school is that great a fit for me, and I feel law school will be significantly easier and more enjoyable. I added two more LOR's on top of my original two (including one from an extremely prominent lawyer from my hometown of Philadelphia), and I wrote a very nice LOCI. I know my undergrad GPA wasn't great and I had a DUI conviction a few years ago, but 163 is a higher than average LSAT score for Pepperdine, isn't it? Do you think it would be worth contacting a faculty member for help at this point? Basically, I will never be able to go to law school for the rest of my life if I am not accepted now, since I will have crushing student loans starting next fall as it is, and I cannot afford the time/tuition to have done two years of B-school and then three more years of law school at Pepperdine or anywhere else worth attending. Does anyone have any recommendations for last ditch efforts to get off the WL? I have no idea where I stand vis-a-vis the other waitlisters, and it is extremely unnerving to have to wait literally until law school classes start before I know if I got in or not. B-school starts the following week, and I am interning (unpaid) five days a week right now, so I will have like no time to prepare either way. I am freaking out.
Law school more enjoyable and easier than business schools? apple early for next year, and go to pepperdine with a potential scholly.

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:33 am

gothamm wrote:
pure_mercury wrote:I am at a loss as to what to do now. I REALLY want to get in, and I haven't applied anywhere else (I am a current MBA student at Pepperdine, and I was planning to do the JD/MBA program). Honestly, I don't feel like the business school is that great a fit for me, and I feel law school will be significantly easier and more enjoyable. I added two more LOR's on top of my original two (including one from an extremely prominent lawyer from my hometown of Philadelphia), and I wrote a very nice LOCI. I know my undergrad GPA wasn't great and I had a DUI conviction a few years ago, but 163 is a higher than average LSAT score for Pepperdine, isn't it? Do you think it would be worth contacting a faculty member for help at this point? Basically, I will never be able to go to law school for the rest of my life if I am not accepted now, since I will have crushing student loans starting next fall as it is, and I cannot afford the time/tuition to have done two years of B-school and then three more years of law school at Pepperdine or anywhere else worth attending. Does anyone have any recommendations for last ditch efforts to get off the WL? I have no idea where I stand vis-a-vis the other waitlisters, and it is extremely unnerving to have to wait literally until law school classes start before I know if I got in or not. B-school starts the following week, and I am interning (unpaid) five days a week right now, so I will have like no time to prepare either way. I am freaking out.
Law school more enjoyable and easier than business schools? apple early for next year, and go to pepperdine with a potential scholly.
Yeah, definitely not easier or more enjoyable. Not saying it's worse but I wouldn't go under that assumption...it makes you sound like a B-school douche.

I agree with gotham--apply early next year if you don't get off the waitlist soon. BTW, 163 is not a shoe-in at Pepperdine. Additionally, law schools are often harder on applicants who come from their counterparts...something to think about.

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:51 am

gothamm wrote:

For me, I can't imagine it being worse than business school. Graziadio has 4-hour block classes once a week, and I had no car this past year. I rode two buses to get to Malibu, getting up at 5:45 a.m. to get to class by 8. I really didn't sleep for three days at a time during the week. My friends would comment on how exhausted I looked regularly. Also, I don't really have a business background (I was a Film and Media Arts major as an undergrad, which is one reason for the lower GPA; they simply do not give out A's for most projects), and SO many of the grades were group projects that were extremely difficult for me to get to for meetings. The idea of reading and writing constantly sounds great to me. I read and absorb things I am interested in extremely quickly. I have no doubt I would be a top 10-15% student at Pepperdine. None whatsoever.

As for applying early, I did get my application in by their "early" deadline of February 1st this year. I've been on the WL since March 19th or something. And I really cannot afford three entire years of law school. The whole point was to have both the MBA and the JD in four years. Is there anything I can do in the next three weeks to improve my chances? I can't wait on this.

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:58 am

irishvt14 wrote:
gothamm wrote:
Yeah, definitely not easier or more enjoyable. Not saying it's worse but I wouldn't go under that assumption...it makes you sound like a B-school douche.
There is no way on Earth it would be harder than what I went through this past year. Especially now that I have a car. I asked the admissions assistant woman, and she basically said, "We consider law school more rigorous academically. However, about 20% of our JD/MBA students say they find law school easier than B-school, and you may be one of them." Most people who know me agree. I just have a more natural inclination toward law. I took the tour in October, and I sat in for a 1L Torts class, and I was answering questions and contributing better than most of the students who were six weeks into the year, and I didn't even have a text in front of me. I simply remembered what I learned in my undergrad Law and Society class from five years before.
I agree with gotham--apply early next year if you don't get off the waitlist soon. BTW, 163 is not a shoe-in at Pepperdine. Additionally, law schools are often harder on applicants who come from their counterparts...something to think about.
Why do you think that is? And, again, I really can't spend the full three years on this. I have NO money. I am doing an unpaid internship 4-5 days a week this summer, and I have six weeks before my loans kick in. I have $75 in my bank account right now. My parents are not wealthy people, either. I have a $5,000 per trimester scholly to the B-school, so it isn't so bad, but the loans will come down crazy hard on me. What can I do to set myself apart to the Admissions Committee right now?

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Well your GPA was a 3.18, which isnt horrible, but according to LSN, you're right in the WL territory with your LSAT. The people who were accepted with similar numbers most likely applied in November or thereabout. At this point, you'e probably done all you can do. I know last year that they pulled someone off the WL during orientation, so you still may have time. One extremely risky idea would be that if by the time of orientation you still haven't been accepted, then try to arrange a meeting with Dean Gash. It might backfire, but at that point, what do you have to lose?

If you get said meeting, DO NOT mention how sure you are that you would finish top 10%-15%. Or that you sat in on a torts class and answered lots of questions. To be honest, I remember hearing about you last year. Here's the deal with law school. The material is not hard. 75% of the class finds the material to be pretty straightforward and easy to understand/analyze. I mean, you sitting in on a torts class in October means you were likely dealing with negligence. 5 elements. Memorized in about 15 minutes. Yet the class will spend 2 months on it. That's not what makes law school hard. What makes it hard, is that you are given a a 3 hour speed typing test that attempts to separate everyone who understands the material about equally.
Everyone in Law School likes to read and can absorb information. That's why they went to law school! My LSAT score was 7 points higher than the pepperdine median. Likely one of the highest in the class. I love to read, etc. I was CERTAIN I would finish in the top 10%. I finished right at the 25%. Not bad, but just goes to show, that our 0L predictions are predicated on a system we know nothing about. Sorry to digress, but I saw a lot of outwardly cocky folks like yourself last year. Its a turn off, and often results in dissapointment. With that being said, I wish you the best. I was on the WL until very late last year and I know the stress that comes with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:22 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Well your GPA was a 3.18, which isnt horrible, but according to LSN, you're right in the WL territory with your LSAT. The people who were accepted with similar numbers most likely applied in November or thereabout. At this point, you'e probably done all you can do. I know last year that they pulled someone off the WL during orientation, so you still may have time. One extremely risky idea would be that if by the time of orientation you still haven't been accepted, then try to arrange a meeting with Dean Gash. It might backfire, but at that point, what do you have to lose?
Yeah, sounds like something worth trying if I get to around August 20th and nothing has changed. Thanks.

If you get said meeting, DO NOT mention how sure you are that you would finish top 10%-15%. Or that you sat in on a torts class and answered lots of questions. To be honest, I remember hearing about you last year. Here's the deal with law school. The material is not hard. 75% of the class finds the material to be pretty straightforward and easy to understand/analyze. I mean, you sitting in on a torts class in October means you were likely dealing with negligence. 5 elements. Memorized in about 15 minutes. Yet the class will spend 2 months on it. That's not what makes law school hard. What makes it hard, is that you are given a a 3 hour speed typing test that attempts to separate everyone who understands the material about equally.
That sounds pretty doable. I am about 70 WPM on the typing, and I really love to read. I am a dork like that. I also have had some of my music reviews/blogging published in magazines and weekly newspaper blogs. Writing quickly and clearly is a talent of mine. As to telling a professor or dean that, I am not stupid. I am saying that here because people are brutally honest, which I like. I was right that I would have issues with B-school and probably end up in the 3.1-3.2 GPA range for my first year, which was right on the money. I foresee an easier time of it with law, especially 1L.

Everyone in Law School likes to read and can absorb information. That's why they went to law school! My LSAT score was 7 points higher than the pepperdine median. Likely one of the highest in the class. I love to read, etc. I was CERTAIN I would finish in the top 10%. I finished right at the 25%. Not bad, but just goes to show, that our 0L predictions are predicated on a system we know nothing about. Sorry to digress, but I saw a lot of outwardly cocky folks like yourself last year. Its a turn off, and often results in dissapointment. With that being said, I wish you the best. I was on the WL until very late last year and I know the stress that comes with it.
It's not about cockiness. I just know what I am good at and what I am bad at. I had the highest grades in my classes for OB and Behavior Science and among the highest for Marketing, but I was bad at Accounting and flat-out awful at Decision Sciences/Stats. It's just how my brain works. But my speed reading and recall are major strengths. This is also the only law school to which I applied, and my work ethic has gotten ridiculous, because there is no way I would have made it through this past year with out. I spent four mornings a week standing on a bus so crowded that I didn't have a seat studying on 2-3 hours of sleep so I could pass my courses. I won't fuck around.

And why do so many JD/MBA students (and law students in general) complain about how awful law school is? I just don't get it. SO many people would be insanely grateful to be doing as opposed to the shit jobs they have to work to eat. I had a grand total of ONE Pepperdine law student tell me they loved law school. If it sucks so bad, why spend hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:33 pm

pure_mercury wrote: I feel law school will be significantly easier and more enjoyable
pure_mercury wrote:I have no doubt I would be a top 10-15% student at Pepperdine. None whatsoever.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Most people I know really enjoyed their 1L year at Pepperdine. Most people bitch and moan during finals bc of the stress, but overall its not bad. I came from working 40 hrs a week in a shit job that I didnt like. 1L year, at least for me, was enjoyable.

I'm not going to try to dissuade you from having high expectations, confidence is something that will serve you well. However, the two factors that seemed to set the top 10% from the top was efficient studying habits throughout the semester and typing speed. For example, I too type about 70 wpm. On a two hour essay exam, I typed out roughly 5000 words and felt good about my performance. The guy behind me types over 120 wpm. He typed out close to 9000 words. I got a B+, he got an A.

Now, I'm sure there are folks who type about my speed who finished top 10%, but when you're taking a test that rewards those who spot the most issues and the depth they discuss those issues, the more words put on paper, the better.

It sounds like you've got a good work ethic and you know what you want so I'm sure you will do fine. Remember though, 90% of the class is telling themselves the same thing you are.

ashle484

New

Post by ashle484 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:45 pm

I have a theory that the people they know would drop everything as late as orientation or the day before class to go to Pepperdine they are saving until that point in case of emergency, ha but that's just to make myself feel better considering I have shown a crazy amount of interest including a meeting with a professor, a tour, letters, and visited just last week again so yea my hope is dwindling as well

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:21 pm

Danteshek wrote:
pure_mercury wrote: I feel law school will be significantly easier and more enjoyable
pure_mercury wrote:I have no doubt I would be a top 10-15% student at Pepperdine. None whatsoever.

Quality jump-in.

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:37 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Most people I know really enjoyed their 1L year at Pepperdine. Most people bitch and moan during finals bc of the stress, but overall its not bad. I came from working 40 hrs a week in a shit job that I didnt like. 1L year, at least for me, was enjoyable.
I had JD/MBA's telling me, "Don't ever go to law school. It's awful." And these were people in my business classes with me, so they weren't even going through the law school stress at the time.

I'm not going to try to dissuade you from having high expectations, confidence is something that will serve you well. However, the two factors that seemed to set the top 10% from the top was efficient studying habits throughout the semester and typing speed. For example, I too type about 70 wpm. On a two hour essay exam, I typed out roughly 5000 words and felt good about my performance. The guy behind me types over 120 wpm. He typed out close to 9000 words. I got a B+, he got an A.
I really have no life in L.A., and I would read the law stuff for fun, anyway. I live in a boring neighborhood and I am used to not having a car, so I really don't go out. I made it to maybe three mixers out of thirty this past year. And I have no extra money, so I don't go on vacation or anything. I really would be spending at least half of my waking time in class or studying. And the 70 WPM is with no mistakes (about which I care much more than pure speed). 5,000 words can be better than 9,000, if you select your words wisely.

Now, I'm sure there are folks who type about my speed who finished top 10%, but when you're taking a test that rewards those who spot the most issues and the depth they discuss those issues, the more words put on paper, the better.[/QUOTE

Maybe, but not necessarily. Having to edit blog posts by music journalists who regularly write insanely long sentences (I mean 50+ words) has made me judicious with my language. I write quickly and get to the point, but I try to spice things up with good diction.

It sounds like you've got a good work ethic and you know what you want so I'm sure you will do fine. Remember though, 90% of the class is telling themselves the same thing you are.
If I don't get in for this year, the law school thing is pretty much over for me, though. It's do or die, and I really was looking forward to be taking law classes as opposed to business classes. Do you have any other suggestions for getting top the top of this WL in case people drop off?

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:46 pm

Other than the idea to go see Dean Gash, not much. Do they know that Pepperdine is the only school you applied to?

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:Other than the idea to go see Dean Gash, not much. Do they know that Pepperdine is the only school you applied to?
Yes, I was explicit about being a business student in my application and that I really wanted to do the JD/MBA and Palmer Center track (specifically, Entertainment, Intellectual Property, and Technology). That is why I thought contacting Janet Kerr might be a good idea. She heads the Palmer Center and is apparently friends with my career adviser from Graziadio.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

irishvt14

Bronze

Post by irishvt14 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:10 pm

70 WPM with NO mistakes? Man, you're awesome. Tell them that, they'll definitely let you in.

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:15 pm

irishvt14 wrote:70 WPM with NO mistakes? Man, you're awesome. Tell them that, they'll definitely let you in.

What can I say? It's a gift. Perfectionist nature won't let me type 90 WPM with mistakes. :wink:

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:12 pm

Danteshek wrote:

+1
I don't doubt your confidence, but you gotta understand something...you will be in a group of people that for the most part, have averaged As in undergrad, are generally rather intelligent, and with few exceptions are committed to kicking ass in law school. Unlike business school you will be surrounded by a bunch of people that think exactly as you do, and have the same type A mentality. Problem is, not everyone can be top 10%. Good luck in your endeavors, but please, understand the game you will be playing.

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:40 pm

1ferret! wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

+1
I don't doubt your confidence, but you gotta understand something...you will be in a group of people that for the most part, have averaged As in undergrad, are generally rather intelligent, and with few exceptions are committed to kicking ass in law school. Unlike business school you will be surrounded by a bunch of people that think exactly as you do, and have the same type A mentality. Problem is, not everyone can be top 10%. Good luck in your endeavors, but please, understand the game you will be playing.
I really am not worried. I had a full ride to a very expensive private high school, got a 1480 on the SAT and into an Ivy League school, but then had a horrible breakup and subsequent depression and alcohol/drug issues. I got myself straight and decided I wanted to pursue entertainment and transferred to a Top 15 Film program and did well. The 3.18 GPA and 163 are not completely indicative of my aptitude. For the first 20 years of my life, it was exceptional ability and mediocre effort, until I found myself out of school and out of prospects. Now, I am totally committed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:09 am

pure_mercury wrote:
1ferret! wrote:
Danteshek wrote:

+1
I really am not worried. I had a full ride to a very expensive private high school, got a 1480 on the SAT and into an Ivy League school, but then had a horrible breakup and subsequent depression and alcohol/drug issues. I got myself straight and decided I wanted to pursue entertainment and transferred to a Top 15 Film program and did well. The 3.18 GPA and 163 are not completely indicative of my aptitude. For the first 20 years of my life, it was exceptional ability and mediocre effort, until I found myself out of school and out of prospects. Now, I am totally committed.
Have you read any material relating to law school exams and what is required? your 1480 SAT, 163 LSAT, and other accolades are highly irrelevant. You would be wise to heed the advise of the above posters. It is strange that you decided to apply to pepperdine only. I would still suggest that you wait and apply early for next year. cover the t30-t60 that you feel you may want to go to. Over the summer, read more into what law school consists of. There are an abundance of resources here on TLS. You will quickly learn that sheer intelligence and "dedication" alone will likely not earn you the success that you are hoping for.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:11 am

pure_mercury wrote: If I don't get in for this year, the law school thing is pretty much over for me, though. It's do or die, and I really was looking forward to be taking law classes as opposed to business classes. Do you have any other suggestions for getting top the top of this WL in case people drop off?

Sorry, but this is just a ridiculous statement.

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:42 am

Have you read any material relating to law school exams and what is required? your 1480 SAT, 163 LSAT, and other accolades are highly irrelevant. You would be wise to heed the advise of the above posters. It is strange that you decided to apply to pepperdine only. I would still suggest that you wait and apply early for next year. cover the t30-t60 that you feel you may want to go to. Over the summer, read more into what law school consists of. There are an abundance of resources here on TLS. You will quickly learn that sheer intelligence and "dedication" alone will likely not earn you the success that you are hoping for.
I really just want admission so I can prove what I can do. Obviously, the SAT doesn't matter at all. I was just trying to show that I don't consider myself a marginal law school prospect. And I only applied to Pepperdine because I was so excited about the JD/MBA thing. I don't want to waste the whole last year I spent working toward the MBA, and I really cannot afford to go to FOUR more years of grad school. I am turning 29 in a month, as well. I need to start working eventually. I also cannot leave Southern California.

As to the success I am working toward, what would you say would be required?
Last edited by pure_mercury on Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:43 am

gothamm wrote:
pure_mercury wrote: If I don't get in for this year, the law school thing is pretty much over for me, though. It's do or die, and I really was looking forward to be taking law classes as opposed to business classes. Do you have any other suggestions for getting top the top of this WL in case people drop off?

Sorry, but this is just a ridiculous statement.
I really cannot afford to finish my MBA and spend three entire years at law school. I doubt Pepperdine and any other law school would allow me to do 2.5 years there and award me an MBA after one more semester. That's basically the point of the whole thing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:08 pm

OP will clearly not accept advice. No point replying any further to his posts.

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:04 pm

Danteshek wrote:OP will clearly not accept advice. No point replying any further to his posts.
I'm sorry. Where was your advice? I just saw a string of smileys. If you have actual advice as to getting off the WL, I'd love to hear it. I was clear about what my situation is and what I want to do. Would you like to contribute?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:31 pm

pure_mercury wrote:
Danteshek wrote:OP will clearly not accept advice. No point replying any further to his posts.
I'm sorry. Where was your advice? I just saw a string of smileys. If you have actual advice as to getting off the WL, I'd love to hear it. I was clear about what my situation is and what I want to do. Would you like to contribute?
You need to drop out and reapply to law schools next year.

pure_mercury

New

Post by pure_mercury » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Danteshek wrote:
pure_mercury wrote:
You need to drop out and reapply to law schools next year.

Drop out of business school and work? I guess I could do that, but I cannot leave Southern California, and I would like to complete the MBA. I really want the dual-degree, and I don't want to be 33 or 34 finishing up law school (five years after starting grad school). I'd like to be settled in a home and starting a family by then. Is there ANYTHING I could do in the next three weeks besides reach out to the dean?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”