Rutgers-Camden Law School Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MrMisiu

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law School Class of 2014

Postby MrMisiu » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:25 pm

I'm in state and have a scholly that is contingent upon keeping a 3.5, but knowing that I can definitely expect to not keep it. I went to the other RU; Rowan.

rap2010

Postby rap2010 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:55 pm

In via status checker and email with scholly info (P/T Evening Program)!!

163/3.23, Non-Trad - 7 yrs WE

RUCamdenguy

Postby RUCamdenguy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:21 pm

MrMisiu wrote:I'm in state and have a scholly that is contingent upon keeping a 3.5, but knowing that I can definitely expect to not keep it. I went to the other RU; Rowan.

It's not impossible to keep a 3.5. That represents approximately the top 10-15% of the class. I have a scholly and have maintained the GPA thus far. You should also know that they may lower the 3.5 requirement based on some grading proposals that will probably go through in February. Specifially the changes are lowering an A+ from a 4.33 to a 4.0, and imposing mandatory median grades upon each class. I think you keep 2/3 of the scholly with a 3.3 also, no?

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Well, at least in my case, 3.3 only gets me half.

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 pm

How has this not been stressed. Camden is consistently rated as one of the most crime-ridden cities in the COUNTRY. And they just laid off half of their police force. Newark is equally as shitty. Trust me, I grew up in southern NY and northern NJ. Stay away from Camden. Stay FAR away from Camden. Quality of life outside the campus is probably one of if not the worst among American law schools.

I hate huffpo, but...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/1 ... 10560.html

RUCamdenguy

Postby RUCamdenguy » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:08 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:How has this not been stressed. Camden is consistently rated as one of the most crime-ridden cities in the COUNTRY. And they just laid off half of their police force. Newark is equally as shitty. Trust me, I grew up in southern NY and northern NJ. Stay away from Camden. Stay FAR away from Camden. Quality of life outside the campus is probably one of if not the worst among American law schools.

I hate huffpo, but...

The area around campus is fine. There are constantly RU police, State Troopers, Port Authority police, and even Camden police cruising the area immediately surrounding campus.
This is probably the only area of town that actually provides any revenue to Camden, so they know to protect where their bread is buttered.

Granted, there is not a lot of selection in shopping, restaurants or partying within walking distance, however if you are a city person, you hop on the PATCO line 1 block from the law school and you are in Center City Philadelphia in 5 minutes. If you are a suburb person you can be in nice and very safe towns like Cherry Hill or Collingswood NJ in 5-10 minutes driving.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:21 pm

RUCamdenguy wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:How has this not been stressed. Camden is consistently rated as one of the most crime-ridden cities in the COUNTRY. And they just laid off half of their police force. Newark is equally as shitty. Trust me, I grew up in southern NY and northern NJ. Stay away from Camden. Stay FAR away from Camden. Quality of life outside the campus is probably one of if not the worst among American law schools.

I hate huffpo, but...

The area around campus is fine. There are constantly RU police, State Troopers, Port Authority police, and even Camden police cruising the area immediately surrounding campus.
This is probably the only area of town that actually provides any revenue to Camden, so they know to protect where their bread is buttered.

Granted, there is not a lot of selection in shopping, restaurants or partying within walking distance, however if you are a city person, you hop on the PATCO line 1 block from the law school and you are in Center City Philadelphia in 5 minutes. If you are a suburb person you can be in nice and very safe towns like Cherry Hill or Collingswood NJ in 5-10 minutes driving.

Camden County is very schizophrenic with regard to quality of life. Yes, you have shitholes like Camden and Lindenwold, but you also have safe, wealthy residential communities like Cherry Hill, Voorhees, and Haddonfield. Collingswood is probably TCR for student housing: safe, but not extremely expensive.

question231

Postby question231 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:23 pm

The lady at admissions warned me about the area, i responded im from brooklyn, she said oh you know the deal

thanks lady

MrPapagiorgio

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:39 pm

question231 wrote:The lady at admissions warned me about the area, i responded im from brooklyn, she said oh you know the deal

thanks lady

I doubt she was including you in her characterization of Brooklyn. While BK isn't as bad as say, the south Bronx, it isn't exactly crime-free, either.

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:15 pm

Crime? Like drugs? Cause if there's crack within walking distance, then sir, I believe you just sold me on Camden. :wink:

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:36 pm

question231 wrote:The lady at admissions warned me about the area, i responded im from brooklyn, she said oh you know the deal

thanks lady

I think I gave your tour. I hope you liked it

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:19 pm

some parts of brooklyn are that bad ha

twb136

Postby twb136 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:06 pm

I hate huffpo, but...

It isn't dangerous around campus and further if you live in a suburb in east of Camden on the PATCO line or in Philly and take the PATCO line in you are a few blocks walk to the campus. It would be dumb to live in Camden just as it is dumb to live in North Philly if you go to Temple.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:24 pm

To everyone concerned about safety: the area around Campus is fine. In fact, I believe we've only had one CrimeWatch e-mail this semester (there were far more when I went to UMiami for undergrad and that is in "safe" suburban Coral Gables). You have to keep an eye out, and when coming back from the PATCO late at night, you always want to be in groups, but those are general safety tips to any city. I actually think I've been approached by panhandlers more times in Philly than I have in Camden.

You can also live in Cherry Hill, Haddonfield, Collingswood and Westmont with easy PATCO access which will pretty much take you right to the law school. There is almost always a security van on the block between the law school and the PATCO.

As for a 3.5, it's around top 20-25% or so. Not easy to keep. Also, I don't think there is section stacking (mostly because I know people in both my section and the other section on scholarships), though they probably give out more than can keep the full 3.5 (or even the 3.3). However, in-state tuition is cheap (and extremely easy to get) so losing a scholarship is not as big of a deal here as it would be at a private school that charges 40k+ tuition.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:24 pm

What is up with them this cycle? I went complete back in November and have hear a peep. Is there a status checker I don't know about?

NJPharmD2011

Postby NJPharmD2011 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:51 pm

Verity wrote:What is up with them this cycle? I went complete back in November and have hear a peep. Is there a status checker I don't know about?

http://camlaw.rutgers.edu/admissions

They sent me an email with my login info for the status checker twice; once when I submitted my application and again when I went complete a few days later.

Verity

Postby Verity » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:11 pm

NJPharmD2011 wrote:
Verity wrote:What is up with them this cycle? I went complete back in November and have hear a peep. Is there a status checker I don't know about?

http://camlaw.rutgers.edu/admissions

They sent me an email with my login info for the status checker twice; once when I submitted my application and again when I went complete a few days later.

Wow, they received mine on 12/3 and still absolutely nothing but silence (I always check my spam folder, too).

slax

Postby slax » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:11 pm

twb136 wrote:

I hate huffpo, but...

It isn't dangerous around campus and further if you live in a suburb in east of Camden on the PATCO line or in Philly and take the PATCO line in you are a few blocks walk to the campus. It would be dumb to live in Camden just as it is dumb to live in North Philly if you go to Temple.

Not sure about Camden, but there is a 4 block by 4 block area west of Temple's main campus that is about 80% renovated housing rented by students. This area is not as safe as say the suburbs, but it certainly not comparable to the Killadelphia of which you may have heard. Temple also has the second largest police force in the state, and they are trained just as any other police force would be. We have had some security issues of robberies some distance from campus, and the university has properly reacted by increasing security staff around campus. Officers and contracted staff have been on foot patrols since the semester began. Additionally, there is a Philadelphia police station in the middle of all of this off-campus housing, and the officers of this district (22nd) are constantly patrolling the streets. I have lived in North Philly for 4 years, live a half mile off of campus, and have only experienced two instances of crime to anyone I know in the area. Both were hit and runs to parked cars and BOTH were committed by other Temple students, not the actual residents.

Here's a place to look up Philly area crime: http://spotcrime.com/pa/philadelphiaSearch for 1800 Broad Street for Temple area - mostly theft of low valued stuff
Temple's safety site: http://css.ocis.temple.edu/police_services/
121 officers for a campus about 1x2 square miles

Here's a similar site for Camden: http://spotcrime.com/nj/camdenSearch 303 Cooper Street for Rutgers - don't cross 95, hello gunshots!
Rutgers' safety site: http://www.camden.rutgers.edu/about-us/safety-security
Only 19 officers! And the Camden police just got huge budget cuts

Maybe someone who currently attends Rutgers-Camden can elaborate on Rutgers' take on safety measures, but I just wanted to highlight some key differences for anyone debating the merits of attending Temple or R-C based solely on safety.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:35 pm

just accepted with 5k a year scholly
158, 3.65

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:11 pm

lawschool12345 wrote:just accepted with 5k a year scholly
158, 3.65

Via status checker?

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:56 pm

slax wrote:
Maybe someone who currently attends Rutgers-Camden can elaborate on Rutgers' take on safety measures, but I just wanted to highlight some key differences for anyone debating the merits of attending Temple or R-C based solely on safety.

The RU-C police have a great presence. I see them much more frequently than I do the Camden city cops. There's also public safety around who "guard" the cross streets (specifically, right by the law school and 2 blocks away by the campus student center). There's also a guard at the entrance to the law school (typical for most city schools) that requires an ID to get in.

I'd be lying if I said my head wasn't on a swivel, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. North of 95 is bad though, don't go up there (and you don't need to).

Also (knock on wood), none of my friends have been, robbed, assaulted or mugged.

The scary part isn't thugs on the streets, its the complete desolation (you can walk to the patco late at night and see no one)

Also, as far as admissions, don't be concerned if you haven't heard yet, many decisions will come out this month and next.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:07 pm

JuTMSY4 wrote:
slax wrote:

The RU-C police have a great presence. I see them much more frequently than I do the Camden city cops. There's also public safety around who "guard" the cross streets (specifically, right by the law school and 2 blocks away by the campus student center). There's also a guard at the entrance to the law school (typical for most city schools) that requires an ID to get in.

I'd be lying if I said my head wasn't on a swivel, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. North of 95 is bad though, don't go up there (and you don't need to).

Also (knock on wood), none of my friends have been, robbed, assaulted or mugged.

The scary part isn't thugs on the streets, its the complete desolation (you can walk to the patco late at night and see no one)

Also, as far as admissions, don't be concerned if you haven't heard yet, many decisions will come out this month and next.

I agree with this. I've actually seen more law enforcement around the university since the police cuts. Keep in mind, Rutgers has their own police (like all state universities?). Also, the area around cooper and down to city hall and the law house is entirely safe during the day (at night it is not, but you have no reason to be there past dark). I walk home late almost every night from the library and have never run into a problem (knock on wood).

My experiences have been very positive so far. Yeah there are a few quirks here and there but overall I'm really enjoying it (and anyone that knows me knows I complain about everything!). Don't worry about not hearing back from admissions, I didn't hear from them until I was accepted.

twb136

Postby twb136 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:44 am

lawschool12345 wrote:just accepted with 5k a year scholly
158, 3.65

How did you learn? Status checker or email? I know they supposedly send out an email immediately when they decide. I just want to know so I can stop looking at the status checker daily.

lawschool12345

Postby lawschool12345 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:46 am

email, it was actually a nice email although i fear a tad generic complementing me on the personal statement and they were sending me a tshirt=wohoo

MrMisiu

Postby MrMisiu » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:20 pm

If heather gray is your color (or lack thereof), you're gonna love it!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”