Rutgers-Camden Law School Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JuTMSY4

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law School Class of 2014

Postby JuTMSY4 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:34 pm

alexanderhamilton wrote:You can probably get it first year if you sign a 12 month lease.

That's relative (and generally untrue, if you mean the first year).

The tried and true rule is that you can get in state after 1 year here. You need to acquire a jersey license, address (i.e. lease), complete taxes in the state and then complete a form and drop it off with admissions. Every student at Rutgers can get in state after 1 year in school

Now, there are supposedly other ways to acquire in state. I've heard summer jump start students (and others who just moved up earlier...June/July) have gotten in state their first year because they could provide all (or most...many obviously did not file their taxes here) of the required information, but I can't personally attest to that.

You can also attempt (by special request to the Dean) to become in state after 1 semester, but that's contingent on her willing to waive the out of state tuition and bearing in mind the potential effects on your loan amount. As I understand it, they'll reduce your total loan amount you can withdraw the following year.

If that's confusing for anyone, shoot me a PM.

jasonac21

Postby jasonac21 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:14 pm

Out of stater here.

Moved here in June and received in state tuition for both summer jump start and first year.

I know people that did not do jump start that got in state tuition since they moved in a month before classes, but you might want to double check with admissions for the exact timing.

Best of luck!

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:07 pm

jasonac21 wrote:Out of stater here.

Moved here in June and received in state tuition for both summer jump start and first year.

I know people that did not do jump start that got in state tuition since they moved in a month before classes, but you might want to double check with admissions for the exact timing.

Best of luck!

Talking to admissions this year the info seems to be the same.

twb136

Postby twb136 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 am

drmguy wrote:

Best of luck!

They use ambiguous terms when you speak or email with them but they pretty much indicate if you have a signed lease and NJ license by "beginning of summer" then you will get in-state. I do not think it is a situation where they are purposefully trying to deceive but rather every case is individually evaluated. Older threads on TLS seem to indicate this has always been the case.

prelawtx

Postby prelawtx » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:44 am

I WANT TO BE OFF THE WAITLIST. UGH.

lmperri

Postby lmperri » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:37 pm

hey guys - I will be attending rutgers newark this fall but I saw that the discussion was more active on this thread, I am hoping that the process would be the same for either campus (if anyone thinks other wise please let me know!)

So I have an apartment right now in Hoboken (lease is signed and I move in May 15th) I do not have a NJ license as of yet and did not file my taxes in NJ. What is the consensus on being able to obtain in-state for the first year if I obtain a NJ license at the end of May? Do I need to bring this information to them by a certain date? Any helps is greatly appreciated..thank you!!!

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:37 am

twb136 wrote:
drmguy wrote:

Best of luck!

They use ambiguous terms when you speak or email with them but they pretty much indicate if you have a signed lease and NJ license by "beginning of summer" then you will get in-state. I do not think it is a situation where they are purposefully trying to deceive but rather every case is individually evaluated. Older threads on TLS seem to indicate this has always been the case.

So, here's an interesting situation and I don't know how effective it'd be. My aunt lives in Blackwood, NJ, now if I go get a NJ license and tags and list that as my residence to Rutgers, do you think I'd be able to get in-state for 1L?

twb136

Postby twb136 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:56 am

@crossarmant So you plan on lying for a discount on law school? Define irony.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:33 am

twb136 wrote:@crossarmant So you plan on lying for a discount on law school? Define irony.

Never thought of it like that, but touche.

Anyone attending doing on-campus housing? I'm debating between living in Collingswood and riding the PATCO in, finding a current student living in the nicer part of Camden as a roommate, or doing on-campus.

Currently, leaning a bit more towards the on-campus option since Camden's reputation precedes itself. I figure it'd provided a decent base of operations while getting acclimated to the area and is cheaper than a 1-bedroom and utilities are included, also it just gets tacked onto your student bill rather than having to worry about monthly due dates for rent, etc.

GoodToBeTheKing

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:46 pm

Future 2L at Rutgers-Camden here!

I have an internship in California this summer and will need to sell my Macy's double-sized mattress and Ikea bed frame on May 7th. I live near the school and will offer a great deal for both. Both are in perfect condition! Let me know if you are in need of a great, comfortable mattress and a nice Ikea bed frame!!

And, if you want, we can discuss how hellish your next 3 years will be :)

cts011

Postby cts011 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:43 am

Starting 1L Rutgers - Cam in August. Possibly looking for a roommate to live in Victor Lofts --LinkRemoved--. If interested give a shout.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Wed May 04, 2011 9:09 am

cts011 wrote:Starting 1L Rutgers - Cam in August. Possibly looking for a roommate to live in Victor Lofts --LinkRemoved--. If interested give a shout.

Just an FYI, there are a ton of people on the RU-C Admitted students forum on the schools website, as well as the Facebook group, all looking for roommates if you're interested. I'll probably do the on-campus apartment, cheaper than the Victor it seems and it'd be nice to be ON campus.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:29 am

crossarmant wrote:
cts011 wrote:Starting 1L Rutgers - Cam in August. Possibly looking for a roommate to live in Victor Lofts --LinkRemoved--. If interested give a shout.

Just an FYI, there are a ton of people on the RU-C Admitted students forum on the schools website, as well as the Facebook group, all looking for roommates if you're interested. I'll probably do the on-campus apartment, cheaper than the Victor it seems and it'd be nice to be ON campus.

The Victor is essentially on campus. It's the difference of all of a block.

Also, if you haven't seen the on campus apartments of the Victor, go check out both. Because I was in the on campus apartments for the first time today and am really glad I paid the extra $$ this year to live in the Victor. The Victor has its flaws, but it's a lot more comfortable and there are no rules about having to check people in or limiting the amount of alcohol you have in your room.

I cannot stress how important "comfort" is going to be. 1L can be really really rough (especially during exam time).

donna302

Postby donna302 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:18 pm

First time on the blog, quick question... my application status still reads application received (months ago) howeve,r I received a strange letter from the RU Law Ddmissions that states:

Congratulations on your graduation, your family must be very proud of you. We look forward to seeing you in the fall. Best, Deans,Staff & Students at Rutgers Law- Camden.

ok.... what the barnacles does this mean? Has anyone else received this notice? If they were going to deny me (part-time evening) would they not just send a denial?

alexanderhamilton

Postby alexanderhamilton » Thu May 12, 2011 8:43 pm

It's pretty late, were you on the waitlist? That sounds like an admission but you should defeinatley call and find out.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Fri May 13, 2011 9:42 am

Yeah, that definitely sounds like an admission. The Admissions Office can probably answer that ASAP if you can get through to them. I remember when I was wondering about a few things and called, I could never get through and wound up having to leave messages. Luckily they are pretty prompt about calling back.

donna302

Postby donna302 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:24 pm

I have called their admissions office and left a message, still no answer... :cry: patiently waiting...

arm5149

Postby arm5149 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:43 pm

1. If you have been accepted -> What is your deadline to pay your seat deposit?

2. Waitlisted- has anyone heard back yet?

Postby 23402385985 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:53 pm

arm5149 wrote:1. If you have been accepted -> What is your deadline to pay your seat deposit?

2. Waitlisted- has anyone heard back yet?

I've pretty much given up all hope.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:02 pm

So, for everyone going to Rutgers or even any other knowledgeable folk, there's one thing about Rutgers I'm confused by (Both Camden and Newark)...

They're both ranked #84 currently but that just seems too low of a ranking for the schools based off the judgement criteria.

USNWR rank based on exclusivity, which both of these schools have relatively low acceptance rates, higher GPAs and LSATs than similarly ranked schools. They also rank on professors and attorney opinions, which I read that Rutgers is somewhere around ~#45 when polled by large firm attorneys. Another ranking criteria is placement statistics, which Rutgers places better than a some schools in the #40s, they have a 1/3 of the class in clerkships (While not Art. III or super prestigious, they help like none other getting jobs) and a NLJ 250 rate of around 15% which is better than a lot of schools much higher ranked, all while having much higher transparency than similarly ranked schools. The median starting Private Practice salary is $110k at Camden with 73% reporting salary in 2009, which was a terrible year for everyone. They also judge on facilities, which RU-Camden just built a new law school a few years back. And Bar passage is higher than state average.... It just seems like everything adds up to put these two significantly higher in the rankings than where they are. Is it all just due to being in rough areas or what? They're also loads cheaper than similarly ranked schools and in-state residency is easy to attain. I'm just confused as to why they are not ranked significantly higher.

Anyone have any insights that I'm missing. Regardless, I'm extremely excited to start up in August (unfortunately not doing JumpStart).

drmguy

Postby drmguy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Until someone really cracks down on the rampant lying in statistics I think virtually all the data provided by USNWR is misleading. For this reason I am sure some schools get screwed.

Botom line is don't go to a school you don't want to graduate from and don't go to a T2 or lower T1 in an area that you wouldn't want to practice in.

samaside

Postby samaside » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 pm

I don't really know who else to ask about this since I just got the letter in the mail today. I didn't apply to Rutgers but I got some letter about applying in regards to a "special admit-outreach scholarship program for select students." It's got an application fee waiver to go along with it but still. Has anyone even heard of that before?

alexonfyre

Postby alexonfyre » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:42 pm

samaside wrote:I don't really know who else to ask about this since I just got the letter in the mail today. I didn't apply to Rutgers but I got some letter about applying in regards to a "special admit-outreach scholarship program for select students." It's got an application fee waiver to go along with it but still. Has anyone even heard of that before?

Bump, I got the same thing. Not going to apply (not in one of my target markets,) but curious about what this is nonetheless.

gregthomas77

Postby gregthomas77 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:27 pm

samaside wrote:I don't really know who else to ask about this since I just got the letter in the mail today. I didn't apply to Rutgers but I got some letter about applying in regards to a "special admit-outreach scholarship program for select students." It's got an application fee waiver to go along with it but still. Has anyone even heard of that before?

I got the same thing as well. I went ahead and filled it out anyways. I had decided to wait and apply to schools for Fall 2012 instead of 2011, but I am interested to see where this goes.

ocbrody

Postby ocbrody » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:51 pm

This is the third time that Rutgers has sent something like that during this cycle that I know of. I got e-mails in March and May with similar wording, and applied after the second one in May. I was accepted but still received the mailer thing you guys are talking about anyway. It appears that if Rutgers sent you this letter, then you have a good chance of being accepted.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”