Rutgers-Camden Law School Class of 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Wholigan

Re: Rutgers-Camden Law School Class of 2014

Postby Wholigan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:33 am

Last edited by Wholigan on Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twb136

Postby twb136 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:14 pm

Wholigan wrote:I am a little late coming in on the safety measures, but I have attended both Temple and Rutgers-Camden, so maybe I can offer some perspective if anyone is still looking for some info. I think you are very safe for the most part while on campus at both places. Keep in mind that Temple’s campus is much larger, and has a new strip of businesses on Broad street including a movie theater and a number of casual dining options, as well as a couple of bars right on campus. At Rutgers, there is the Victor pub which is a couple blocks from campus (and in the building where a lot of the students live) and not much else as far as independent businesses. You will have to drive or take the train out of Camden for most shopping/dining/entertainment needs. Temple had more frequent safety alerts where a student was robbed, etc. However I think that’s because there are many times more students at Temple, counting UG.

If you are talking about wandering a few blocks off campus, I think Temple’s area is much more dangerous, but there’s no need to do this. That is because once you get off Temple’s campus, there are residential neighborhoods with thugs hanging around, etc. You have to get a lot further away from campus at Camden to get to the heavy residential neighborhoods. The immediate surrounding blocks are mostly education and government-dominated.

IMO, bottom line is that if you enjoy an urban atmosphere and want to live within walking distance of the law school and have a lot of options within walking distance, Temple’s campus has the edge. If you like a more suburban atmosphere and want to drive or take the train to class every day, Rutgers may have the edge for you. There are plenty of communities very close to Camden where you have a suburban (Cherry Hill) or small town (Collingswood, Haddonfield) feel and are very close to campus. There really isn’t anything like that within the same distance for Temple.

I looked into Victor Lofts and have heard mixed things. I think it looks awesome but it apparently has taken on more of a frat house persona as of late. Do you know of any other apartments in Camden? My issue is if I go to Rutgers, I need to move from Philly to get NJ's in-state tuition. I'd much rather prefer to live in Camden and PATCO to and from work in Center City.

Wholigan

Postby Wholigan » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:31 am

twb136 wrote:
Wholigan wrote:I am a little late coming in on the safety measures, but I have attended both Temple and Rutgers-Camden, so maybe I can offer some perspective if anyone is still looking for some info. I think you are very safe for the most part while on campus at both places. Keep in mind that Temple’s campus is much larger, and has a new strip of businesses on Broad street including a movie theater and a number of casual dining options, as well as a couple of bars right on campus. At Rutgers, there is the Victor pub which is a couple blocks from campus (and in the building where a lot of the students live) and not much else as far as independent businesses. You will have to drive or take the train out of Camden for most shopping/dining/entertainment needs. Temple had more frequent safety alerts where a student was robbed, etc. However I think that’s because there are many times more students at Temple, counting UG.

If you are talking about wandering a few blocks off campus, I think Temple’s area is much more dangerous, but there’s no need to do this. That is because once you get off Temple’s campus, there are residential neighborhoods with thugs hanging around, etc. You have to get a lot further away from campus at Camden to get to the heavy residential neighborhoods. The immediate surrounding blocks are mostly education and government-dominated.

IMO, bottom line is that if you enjoy an urban atmosphere and want to live within walking distance of the law school and have a lot of options within walking distance, Temple’s campus has the edge. If you like a more suburban atmosphere and want to drive or take the train to class every day, Rutgers may have the edge for you. There are plenty of communities very close to Camden where you have a suburban (Cherry Hill) or small town (Collingswood, Haddonfield) feel and are very close to campus. There really isn’t anything like that within the same distance for Temple.

I looked into Victor Lofts and have heard mixed things. I think it looks awesome but it apparently has taken on more of a frat house persona as of late. Do you know of any other apartments in Camden? My issue is if I go to Rutgers, I need to move from Philly to get NJ's in-state tuition. I'd much rather prefer to live in Camden and PATCO to and from work in Center City.

The Victor is the only large apartment building near campus. They do offer you the option of living in the dorms, but not many law students live there. They are also building a new grad school dorm, which is supposed to be very nice and all, but it’s not going to be ready this fall, I think next fall. There is a nice section of rowhouses near the school (in fact many of the blocks are closer to the school than the Victor) some of which get rented out, so that’s another option, although you’d want to find a roommate or two.

If your main concern is being near the PATCO line to get to cc, there are apartments in Collingswood or Westmont which are within walking distance of PATCO. You’d have to take a ride in to school, of course, but it’s less than a 10 minute ride from those stops.

Section141

Postby Section141 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Complete at 11/10, 3 months. However, received an invite to Dean's day March 26th, saying since I was a candidate with a high likelihood of admissions, they wanted to extend an invite. I'm guessing they sent this invite to anyone with certain #'s. Anyone else get this email?

NJPharmD2011

Postby NJPharmD2011 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:04 pm

Section141 wrote:Complete at 11/10, 3 months. However, received an invite to Dean's day March 26th, saying since I was a candidate with a high likelihood of admissions, they wanted to extend an invite. I'm guessing they sent this invite to anyone with certain #'s. Anyone else get this email?

Yeah I got the same email. The RU-Newark Dean's Day is March 25th, and I already got in there so I probably won't go to this one.

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:13 pm

Section141 wrote:Complete at 11/10, 3 months. However, received an invite to Dean's day March 26th, saying since I was a candidate with a high likelihood of admissions, they wanted to extend an invite. I'm guessing they sent this invite to anyone with certain #'s. Anyone else get this email?

Not worth your time if you're already in at Temple, especially if you're PA in-state.

Section141

Postby Section141 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:36 pm

LSATclincher wrote:

Not worth your time if you're already in at Temple, especially if you're PA in-state.

I am in-state, and I agree. Just thought I'd throw out some info for those still interested in Rutgers-Camden. Honestly at this point I'd just like a decision, since I paid for one.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:24 am

I decided to call today, seeing how it has been four months. I was told late February is when many decisions will be released.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:01 pm

Got the same e-mail. Been complete since around early December. Somebody said on page 2 or 3 that if you receive this e-mail, you're basically admitted ... so why don't they just admit me/those other people already if you're going to take the time to invite us to the Dean's Law day? Especially if it's been 10+ weeks..

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:49 pm

twb136 wrote:I looked into Victor Lofts and have heard mixed things. I think it looks awesome but it apparently has taken on more of a frat house persona as of late. Do you know of any other apartments in Camden? My issue is if I go to Rutgers, I need to move from Philly to get NJ's in-state tuition. I'd much rather prefer to live in Camden and PATCO to and from work in Center City.

PM me if you have any more questions about the Victor, but I can confirm that while it isn't perfect, there is NOT a frat house persona (a LOT of families and non-students live there).

lawgrl21

Postby lawgrl21 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:28 pm

got a really nice package from them on thursday with a rutgers hat and shirt for people accepted with scholarships. it was a very nice touch

twb136

Postby twb136 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:55 am

I received an email this morning giving that said:

Thank you for your recent application to Rutgers for
Program: Law
Enrollment Year: 2011
Term: Fall
Your application was received on 02/24/2011
We are writing to inform you of your new Rutgers University Identification Number (RUID):

I have been complete via status checker since the beginning of December. It told me that I need this number should I be admitted and choose to attend. Any clue what this means? It was just a very weird email to get so late.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:00 am

I can help you with this. The RUID number is used in place of your SSN for all university business purposes. I am a current student and my RUID number is the same as the email one, meaning i have used the same one for three years as an undergraduate.

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:05 am

twb136 wrote:I received an email this morning giving that said:

Thank you for your recent application to Rutgers for
Program: Law
Enrollment Year: 2011
Term: Fall
Your application was received on 02/24/2011
We are writing to inform you of your new Rutgers University Identification Number (RUID):

I have been complete via status checker since the beginning of December. It told me that I need this number should I be admitted and choose to attend. Any clue what this means? It was just a very weird email to get so late.

Oh, Rutgers. I got the same thing. They're killing me with these "Hey, we like you, you might be in!" -type emails.

Grr..

dinomyte

Postby dinomyte » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:00 am

Yeah I got the same email... Complete since November 16th... I dont think it means anything just some automated email.

twb136

Postby twb136 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:13 pm

dinomyte wrote:Yeah I got the same email... Complete since November 16th... I dont think it means anything just some automated email.

I am pretty cynical in a lot of things but I am optimistic because I do not see a reason for me to get a student ID number other than being a student. I can understand being entered into a system and automatically generating an ID but that would have happened in December. I will still with the rose colored glasses and say I imagine a student-worker is sitting at a desk entering all our names into a database for letters to be sent out this week with acceptances.

PrayingforHYS

Postby PrayingforHYS » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:07 pm

What is this Rutgers U ID that I've received via e-mail and how do I even use it? My status check has said "complete" for awhile, so is this a new status check or just a really delayed thing? :?:

udonisandtrinity

Postby udonisandtrinity » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:14 pm

Received the same email.
Last edited by udonisandtrinity on Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:45 pm

best of luck all

LSATclincher

Postby LSATclincher » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:48 pm

udonisandtrinity wrote:Received the same email. I believe it's automated email. Nothing indicative.

They confirmed this with another email shortly after. Apparently it was from the New Brunswick campus for grad programs.

twb136

Postby twb136 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:41 am

Hey, has anyone been updated? I haven't contacted admissions because I have expected a decision soon. I am approaching 14 weeks since I applied and this is the only school I have not heard from.

dinomyte

Postby dinomyte » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 am

your post just made me call... the woman at admissions said that a lot of decisions are going out this month and early april and sometimes it does take that long for applications to be reviewed.

to be honest, i think it's rejection for me. i've been complete since november now and if they wanted me they would have accpeted me or invited me to admitted students day.

twb136

Postby twb136 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:40 am

dinomyte wrote:your post just made me call... the woman at admissions said that a lot of decisions are going out this month and early april and sometimes it does take that long for applications to be reviewed.

to be honest, i think it's rejection for me. i've been complete since november now and if they wanted me they would have accpeted me or invited me to admitted students day.

I wouldn't be that negative. Disheartening? Sure. But I just tend to think that we are either accepted and they are just not efficient in sending out the acceptances or they have waited for all the Feb LSAT takers scores to be delivered before all the decisions are made.

Occam's Razor would tell us that simplest answer is probably the right one and that is that we are not rejected....yet.

Section141

Postby Section141 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:57 pm

twb136 wrote:Hey, has anyone been updated? I haven't contacted admissions because I have expected a decision soon. I am approaching 14 weeks since I applied and this is the only school I have not heard from.

+1, except it's 17 weeks for me

dinomyte

Postby dinomyte » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:22 pm

twb136 wrote:
dinomyte wrote:your post just made me call... the woman at admissions said that a lot of decisions are going out this month and early april and sometimes it does take that long for applications to be reviewed.

I wouldn't be that negative. Disheartening? Sure. But I just tend to think that we are either accepted and they are just not efficient in sending out the acceptances or they have waited for all the Feb LSAT takers scores to be delivered before all the decisions are made.

Occam's Razor would tell us that simplest answer is probably the right one and that is that we are not rejected....yet.

thanks, twb136... i'll try to keep optimistic. i didn't think about the feb LSAT but that can definitely be a factor in why it's taking so long to get a decision.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”