Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nyk4life

Re: Rutgers-Newark Class of 2014 (First Acceptances are in)

Postby nyk4life » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:30 pm

secret0928 wrote:I received a 'deferred' email today.

Has anyone else received this email? Did the email state that the admissions committee was impressed with your credentials, but they'd hold off on making a decision until a later date?

I'm trying to gauge what this means.

Got the same email on 3/14, and went compete about three-four weeks before that. I emailed them and they really weren't helpful and said "hopefully we'll get to them in mid-April." The ambiguity clearly is for you not to get your hopes up, but sucks.

singingkris

Postby singingkris » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:37 pm

LaProfe14 wrote:

Has anyone else received this email? Did the email state that the admissions committee was impressed with your credentials, but they'd hold off on making a decision until a later date?

since when were you complete? My status hasn't changed from "complete" and i haven't heard anything in 8 weeks...getting antsy!

+1

secret0928

Postby secret0928 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:19 am

LaProfe14 wrote:

since when were you complete? My status hasn't changed from "complete" and i haven't heard anything in 8 weeks...getting antsy!

My status said "complete, ready for review" since 2/4. Just updated yesterday along with the email.

secret0928

Postby secret0928 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:20 am

nyk4life wrote:

Got the same email on 3/14, and went compete about three-four weeks before that. I emailed them and they really weren't helpful and said "hopefully we'll get to them in mid-April." The ambiguity clearly is for you not to get your hopes up, but sucks.

Are you in anywhere else? Are you going to secure a seat and then withdraw if you get accepted at RU?

nyk4life

Postby nyk4life » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:12 am

secret0928 wrote:
nyk4life wrote:

Are you in anywhere else? Are you going to secure a seat and then withdraw if you get accepted at RU?

I'm in at a few schools with 5 other applications in review as well. If nothing changes by April 15 I'll send a seat deposit to Hofstra (who gave me 15k) most likely. Then if Rutgers lets me in I'll withdraw. $400 is a small price to pay for the $15,000 I would be saving over 3 years.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:51 pm

Posted this in the 2014 thread as well since I don't know where all of you do most of your regular discussions. If anyone has any lingering questions about RU, let me know. I am in the middle of what looks like a really busy two weeks, so I might not get back to you as quickly as normal. PM works as well. Good luck with your final decisions since seat deposits should be coming due soon(?) from what I can vaguely remember.

LSAT Taker

Postby LSAT Taker » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:30 am

Withdrew, after much deliberation, today. Best of luck to you all!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:08 pm

I can't make up my mind, I'm going to drive to Newark tomorrow and deposit, just to be safe. Excited to potentially be donating $300 to Rutgers for the hell of it. :roll:

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:19 am

Justathought wrote:I can't make up my mind, I'm going to drive to Newark tomorrow and deposit, just to be safe. Excited to potentially be donating $300 to Rutgers for the hell of it. :roll:

I'll be dropping off my check there tomorrow too. I mailed one already, but nearly two weeks later it still hasn't shown up. Oops.
Also, did you see in the acceptance package that they give partial refunds in case you do withdraw? I don't have the sheet handy, but you have until Aug. 1 to get at least some of it back. You get $200 back if you withdraw by ...July 1, maybe - could be June. And $100 if by Aug. 1. It's on that gray sheet of paper.
Where else are you thinking of going, just out of curiosity?

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:12 pm

I just found something new on my status checker- a line for a seat deposit, however, i am currently deferred and the checker still notes as much.

Any other deferred applicants see this on their checker?

Lawst

Postby Lawst » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:34 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:I just found something new on my status checker- a line for a seat deposit, however, i am currently deferred and the checker still notes as much.

Any other deferred applicants see this on their checker?

Ooh, that sounds like a good sign! That appeared on my status checker page after I was accepted - I'm not sure if it showed up right before or not because I found out I got in by e-mail. I wasn't checking my status checkers quite as obsessively back then. :)
Does it also have a line in that same area for an undergrad transcript? That's on mine. If it's not there, I have no idea if that means anything, but just telling you what I can see on my page.
Good luck!

Iceman389

Postby Iceman389 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:31 pm

I am deferred and it showed up on my status checker as well. Here's to hoping its a good sign...

lic06003

Postby lic06003 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:01 pm

same thing here. but i dont think it means anything. They haven't even started re-reviewing the apps yet.

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:16 pm

Hey-
anyone looking to rent a huge master bedroom in an apartment in downtown jersey city w/ their own bath, washer in the apt, private balcony, view of southern tip of NYC,
PM me (ladies only, sorry guys).

AmericaninManchuria

Postby AmericaninManchuria » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:23 pm

So I was planning on going to Rutgers after I was accepted in Feb. with $8,000, but then, I just got a packet from Seton Hall (where my app. was incomplete- so thats weird) accepting me and offering me the Chancellor's schol. of $35,000. So now Seton Hall would save me $4,000 a year, but I'm trying to figure out which is a better school in the long run- of course Seton Hall is ranked higher, but I keep hearing that Rutgers has better job placement and alumni network, so I'm hesitant.

What are your opinions about Rutgers vs. Seton Hall job placement?

GettingReady28

Postby GettingReady28 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:24 pm

"seat deposit" line was added to my application tracker then it was removed. Does anyone know what this means??? Getting a little worried haven't heard back from them yet.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:36 am

AmericaninManchuria wrote:So I was planning on going to Rutgers after I was accepted in Feb. with $8,000, but then, I just got a packet from Seton Hall (where my app. was incomplete- so thats weird) accepting me and offering me the Chancellor's schol. of $35,000. So now Seton Hall would save me $4,000 a year, but I'm trying to figure out which is a better school in the long run- of course Seton Hall is ranked higher, but I keep hearing that Rutgers has better job placement and alumni network, so I'm hesitant.

What are your opinions about Rutgers vs. Seton Hall job placement?

Job placement between RU and Seton Hall is mostly a toss up. I would say that Seton Hall leans more towards privates sector work only because their graduates usually have more debt than RU grads. I would say the local federal bench is pretty much split between RU and Seton Hall. RU seems to have a slight slight edge in terms of placement in NYC firms. Seton Hall seems to be more concentrated in Newark and north Jersey. Not to say that RU doesn't have many grads there...it does as well.

sterl1002

Postby sterl1002 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:15 am

My status checker has said "complete" since 2/28. I called yesterday and they said I'm in review but it typically takes 8 weeks. I haven't gotten any acceptances yet so I'm getting a little nervous!

ashleyryan

Postby ashleyryan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:33 pm

sterl1002 wrote:My status checker has said "complete" since 2/28. I called yesterday and they said I'm in review but it typically takes 8 weeks. I haven't gotten any acceptances yet so I'm getting a little nervous!

I am complete at 2/18!!! Calling first thing in the AM! Grr ;)

sterl1002

Postby sterl1002 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:10 am

ashleyryan wrote:
sterl1002 wrote:My status checker has said "complete" since 2/28. I called yesterday and they said I'm in review but it typically takes 8 weeks. I haven't gotten any acceptances yet so I'm getting a little nervous!

What did they say? Any good news?

ashleyryan

Postby ashleyryan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:32 pm

sterl1002 wrote:
ashleyryan wrote:

The receptionist checked my status -- it's at decision rendered! She said they will be sending out decisions (admits, denials, holds, waitlists) within the next two weeks. Ahhhhhhh

nyk4life

Postby nyk4life » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:27 pm

I called today to ask about my status because I was held on 3/14. She said they were working on those apps as we were speaking, and the decisions for those will go out this week and next. So for anyone who was held on that date, there's at least a ballpark answer.. I hope.

sterl1002

Postby sterl1002 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:45 pm

ashleyryan wrote:
sterl1002 wrote:
ashleyryan wrote:

The receptionist checked my status -- it's at decision rendered! She said they will be sending out decisions (admits, denials, holds, waitlists) within the next two weeks. Ahhhhhhh

Good luck! Did your status checker say a decision was rendered?

ashleyryan

Postby ashleyryan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:04 pm

The receptionist checked my status -- it's at decision rendered! She said they will be sending out decisions (admits, denials, holds, waitlists) within the next two weeks. Ahhhhhhh[/quote]

Good luck! Did your status checker say a decision was rendered?[/quote]

Nope, it is just stuck @ complete 2/18.

sterl1002

Postby sterl1002 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:08 am

Just called and she said my decision was mailed a few days ago and I should probably get something this weekend! Ahhh!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”